View Full Version : "On-Tempo" or "Out-of-Time" Practice Thread for 11/2 - 11/8

Skate@Delaware
11-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Since one hasn't been started yet, in honor of the time-change (let me know if I got the dates wrong, I'm tired)8O:

On-Tempo: Skated twice today; this morning at Skate Club of Wilmington (Delaware) because I went to get my skates sharpened. It was nice to skate with adults but I didn't work on much as my skates were dull. 2nd time was at my home rink. Most of my elements were great.

Out-of-time: scratch spins stink!!!! Not sure what is going on with them......GRRRRR!!!!

phoenix
11-03-2009, 09:09 PM
On Tempo: My Paso!!! I did one pattern of bona fide on-time dancing, including that horrid quick swing/change/mohawk. Woo hoo, hope lives! I've been off for awhile, and lazy on top of that. Now I'm feeling more motivated & really ready to get back to work to try to get this thing ready to test!

Out of Time: My ankle! 3 weeks ago my skate started pressing too hard on my inner right ankle bone. Was off for 1.5 weeks for vacation, but when I came back last week it still hurt. I had my skate guy punch it out & it is definitely better, but I think the damage has been done & there's either a bruise on the bone or the tendon's inflamed, can't tell which. Now I can skate pain-free for 1/2 hour, another 15 minutes of increasing pain, and that's as long as I can stand it before limping off the ice. Not good! Any thoughts/suggestions? I've been padding it but not sure that's really doing anything.

dbny
11-03-2009, 10:47 PM
On Tempo: My Paso!!! I did one pattern of bona fide on-time dancing, including that horrid quick swing/change/mohawk. .

Congratulations! That's a really hard one. I could actually see myself doing that dance someday - except for the swing.... The swing was optional when I was a roller skater, and I opted out.

Out of Time: My ankle! 3 weeks ago my skate started pressing too hard on my inner right ankle bone. Was off for 1.5 weeks for vacation, but when I came back last week it still hurt. I had my skate guy punch it out & it is definitely better, but I think the damage has been done & there's either a bruise on the bone or the tendon's inflamed, can't tell which. Now I can skate pain-free for 1/2 hour, another 15 minutes of increasing pain, and that's as long as I can stand it before limping off the ice. Not good! Any thoughts/suggestions? I've been padding it but not sure that's really doing anything.

How about a gel ankle sleeve? Bunga makes them, but the ones by Silipos are the same and about half the price.

phoenix
11-03-2009, 10:53 PM
How about a gel ankle sleeve? Bunga makes them, but the ones by Silipos are the same and about half the price.

I actually already use those, on both feet; always have. I'm fearing the boot has broken down too far & has twisted a bit & I'll be doomed to getting new boots. Yikes!! $600 I don't need to spend......

PinkLaces
11-04-2009, 12:43 AM
Monday

Out-of-Time DH needed me to take him to work and then to the airport so only got a half-hour of practice in. Worked on Bronze Moves and that darn BW cross-over pattern is giving me fits.

On Tempo Rest of the patterns seemed okay. I am feeling so much more confident on that 1st left 3 on the Power 3 pattern. Only me and 2 others so plenty of room to work on patterns.

Tuesday

Out-of-Time Coach has the flu so no lesson tonight and no lesson on Friday and Saturday, because I will be out of town. BW power cross-overs still on the small side and a little off axis. Camel spin was 1.5 revs. My left arm is dropping, but if I concentrate on arms then the leg goes.

On Tempo Power 3's are improving. Loop jumps were good (according to DD). They are small which is an improvement from teeny tiny. Backspins were good. I find that when I think about standing up straight in the spin it really helps get my weight on that outside toe. Making progress on the flip - still 2 footing the landings, but the free foot is in front instead of on the side. I'm happy with that progress.

dbny
11-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I actually already use those, on both feet; always have. I'm fearing the boot has broken down too far & has twisted a bit & I'll be doomed to getting new boots. Yikes!! $600 I don't need to spend......

Don't you coach? If you wear Klingbeils, Don gives a $100 professional discount to coaches. You just need your PSA or ISI membership card. It's still a lot of money.

phoenix
11-04-2009, 12:31 PM
I do coach. I'm currently in Klingbeils, but was wanting to try something different next time. Something lighter, that I can point my toes in. Not to mention, new Klingbeils would involved a trip to either Detroit or NY to the man himself. So by the time it's all done it would cost about the same anyway.

BatikatII
11-04-2009, 01:22 PM
out of time
Normally have a lesson with dance partner today but he coudnt make it this week so was going to have the lesson anyway but coach forgot!:cry:

Still it was probably just as well as my skating was c**p yesterday and c**p today.

I think it's partly psychological as I've hurt my fingers (scraped top layers of skin off two fingers - not a skating injury) and having them bandaged up just makes me feel all off balance somehow.

Did manage one lovely scratch spin but that and trying jumps makes my fingers throb.

Skate@Delaware
11-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Timely: Posted my latest skate video....my spins are really in the hopper but my backspins are nice. I know I'm off-balanced with the scratch but I'm wondering if I still have some blade alignment issues.....I'll never know as I'm pretty done messing with it (actually thought about putting left blade onto old boot and messing around like that, just as an experiment....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypiJX5wpVBs

ps-I wanted to put up my waltz jumps but for some reason that clip was really blurry....too bad as they were really nice. Oh well!

Mrs Redboots
11-05-2009, 03:59 AM
out of time

I think it's partly psychological as I've hurt my fingers (scraped top layers of skin off two fingers - not a skating injury) and having them bandaged up just makes me feel all off balance somehow.

This can happen - one of our coaches allegedly once skated badly as she'd either forgotten to put nail varnish on, or had it on when she didn't normally, I forget which. Anyway, she said it put her off....

LilJen
11-05-2009, 08:01 AM
On Tempo: Getting more consistent with actually completing the elements in my FS. Which is good, as I have a competition on Saturday. . . 8O
Fwd scratch spins getting more consistent and more often delightfully centered--YAY!!

Out of Time: Program still kind of rocky. . . oh well. Never enough time to practice!! Toe loops wonky.

dbny
11-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Skate@Delaware (Skate@Delaware) - I thought that next to last toe loop was really a good one! It looks to me like you are on the FI edge on those backspins. I could be wrong, because it's video and harder to tell, but what does your coach say? Once you start doing them on the wrong edge, it's h*ll to fix.

Out of Time:
Had to cancel my ice dance lesson today due to my sinus infection. But, I'm going in for an hour to give a few private lessons, and if I feel OK after that, I'll go to my regular lesson tomorrow.

Timely:
Lately, when I get on the ice, I just feel really good. F power pulls are actually generating some power and not feeling too scary anymore.

blackmanskating
11-05-2009, 04:09 PM
On Tempo - My spins are so much better this week. My forward camel was 8 revolutions this week. That's an automatic Level 2 spin!!!! Yay! Gotta get that consistent now. Sit spin is becoming more centered and looks a little lower. Camel-Sit Combination is very centered now. I can now do a Camel-sit-back sit-back pancake-upright front catchfoot-forward inside edge change-back scratch. (Whew that's a lot to type for a move that only takes 8 seconds) My silver Program is coming along great! I really like where it's going. Axel is getting higher and I'm experimenting with delaying rotation. Talk about scary. 8O

Off Time - My back sit is not consistent unless it's in combination. I have no idea why! My double sal is gone!!!! Double loop, double flip, double toe are all a quarter turn short. Still can't do a double lutz or double axel. :giveup: Straight line footwork is horrible. Still working on those dreaded rockers. Why on earth are counters easier than rockers anyway? Got about 35-40 pounds to lose.

All in all I am really happy with my skating so far. I can't wait to rip up the ice later today!!!

BlackManSkating

celticprincess
11-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Today was my main practice day even though I'm going tomorrow with a friend. Overall it went pretty well..better than I thought actually. Thursdays during lunch skate, the college peeps get to skate for free. So I expected it to be very crowded and borderline dangerous...but it wasn't. Okay onto notes:

Timely:
-Moves as usual...double threes were very good
-I'm getting so comfortable with brackets
-All of my single jumps..every one of them worked out well today
-Axel attempts were honestly...very good. I have the rotation, I'm getting more height, my entrance is so improved..now it's just landing on the correct foot.
-Scatch spins were controlled..yet fast.
-MOVE OF THE DAY goes to my sit spin!! I had some really good ones. I was low enough, I was holding the pos. for a while...well done
-Had a fatabulous layback spin
-My shoot the duck to a catch foot spiral/thing went well
-Artistic programme run through
-Spirals..yeah they were just better than usual
-My falling leaf/split/ looploop sequence went so much better this time

Out of Time:
-Camels as usual....I didn't even really bother with this spin today
-2sals were off and I know why...I was rushing the entrance
-Got a bit winded after practice
-Took a few hard falls on my 2sal attempts

Overall, it was a good practice!! I'm not sure how much I will get done tomorrow since I'll have my non skating friend with me..but we'll see.;)

Skate@Delaware
11-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Skate@Delaware - I thought that next to last toe loop was really a good one! It looks to me like you are on the FI edge on those backspins. I could be wrong, because it's video and harder to tell, but what does your coach say? Once you start doing them on the wrong edge, it's h*ll to fix.

Out of Time:
Had to cancel my ice dance lesson today due to my sinus infection. But, I'm going in for an hour to give a few private lessons, and if I feel OK after that, I'll go to my regular lesson tomorrow.

Timely:
Lately, when I get on the ice, I just feel really good. F power pulls are actually generating some power and not feeling too scary anymore.
Sometimes I'm on an inside edge (and I know when I am). I try not to but eh, you know how it is sometimes! More often than not I am on the outside edge tho.

I do hope you get over your sinus infection...they can be a real bear! I think I'm coming down with a virus of some sorts...Canceled my flute lesson today, spent most of it in bed totally wiped out, exhausted! Keeping hydrated. I did receive a flu shot but maybe it's either the virus going around or that "other" flu 8O. Hope not as I want to skate Friday/Sunday and it's Youth Hunt Day on Saturday and I want to take my son out.

Kim to the Max
11-05-2009, 10:57 PM
[Out of Time]
Supposedly testing on the 14th - Juvenile Free and Junior Moves...surprisingly, I have not started to freak out yet (just a little today with my axel, but nothing horrible) which makes me wonder a little...

[On Tempo]
We are working to fix my axel take off...it's still cheated (about a 1/4 turn on all but very few), but the "good" thing is that unless you look at the ice or are watching in slo-mo, you can't tell :) and this is not IJS so no instant replay!!

Double sals are landed on 1 foot, however, I now need to work on the rotation, they are about a 1/2 turn underrotated...

Double toes are getting much closer...still 2 footed, but the rotation is there...

Coach wants to work on some layback variations once I pass my tests....

Moves are getting better. I need to work a little on the outside rockers and getting the turn perpendicular and not angled on the axis and my power pulls need a better (aka quicker) tempo with the turns...all this in about a week 8O hopefully I can pull this off...

[Out of Time]
I'm still getting uber frustrated because I cannot seem to get my feet crossed in the air :( and I don't know how to fix this...my jumps, while big, just look "wrong" when I do them and I am -----> :frus:

katz in boots
11-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Out of Time
lesson before work yesterday morning. Balance all over the place. Coach said to tighten my core, but I think it was still sound asleep in bed, didn't come with me to my lesson.

Scratch spin went away last weekend, so we worked on that. Some technique tips from coach led to some improvement, which hopefully I can build on tomorrow.

Toe-loop technique. I always thought I had a reasonable toe-loop, but apparently it is just a toe-waltz. Now re-learning the pick & takeoff technique and it's going to take a while before I can do this properly.

On Tempo
Backspins ! Yes, that's right, backspins ! After 4 years of work, they've finally come together and have been good for over a week now. :D

Edges & 3 turns weren't too bad, though lots more work on BO3s to go.

Tomorrow is another day

blackmanskating
11-06-2009, 08:33 AM
On Tempo
Backspins ! Yes, that's right, backspins ! After 4 years of work, they've finally come together and have been good for over a week now. :D

Congratulations!!!! Doesn't it feel great?? Doing my first real backspin made me feel like I was on top of the world!!! :D Things are really going to take off for you now!!!

BlackManSkating

AgnesNitt
11-07-2009, 04:40 PM
OnTempo My edges have finally come back. My ankle is healed enough that I'm finally up to doing crossovers. Three turns both ways (even on the bad ankle). Some backward stroking. Stood around with the other adult regulars watching 'mystery guy skater' give some waltz jump tips to one of the other adult women skaters. All of us know MGS name but none of us know what discipline he's in. I once asked if he was doing gold moves as he was working on counters, and he laughed, but never volunteered anything. There's something stylish about him. He must be an ice dancer but we never see him with a partner.

Out of Time I approached a coach who I've seen working with another adult who is also low level. He was polite but gave me a 'too busy' refusal. He wanted to know if I'd tested and I said I was just about to take my First Test in figures when I broke my ankle and I hadn't skated in 6 months. It wasn't until I had finished talking to him that I realized that in the last year (since Nov 2008) I've had cancer surgery, radiation, and a broken ankle. In the last year I've probably only skated for about 3 months.

OnTempo I may be crap on ice, but man do I have the excuses lined up!

Out of Time The Ice Doesn't Care!

kander
11-07-2009, 09:46 PM
On tempo: Skated a rare freestyle session friday night with the kids. Landed a killer axel and toe loop.

Out-of-Time: Skated the next day and was totally wiped out. Couldn't react fast enough to do jumps. Couldn't do anything but spin.

jazzpants
11-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Hey, kander!

Where are you? I thought you were gonna come watch Skate SF? :P

kander
11-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Hey, kander!

Where are you? I thought you were gonna come watch Skate SF? :P

I should have gone to Skate SF! At least I could have seen some good skating.

Kevin

katz in boots
11-08-2009, 01:47 AM
On Tempo
Hot day here, everyone must've gone to the beach. Only me & 2 other AOSS ladies there. Rink manager put on Glenn Miller music instead of the usual noise pollution, and we had fun doing our own thing.
We hope to put together an adult synchro team next year, so we tried doing chasses in a line. It's challenging & fun doing basic steps in time with others.

Backspin were still great, and most jumps were acceptable (never as fast/high/far as I want them). Footwork exercises were fine, so no real complaints about my skating. I feeli like I'm making progress and some things are really coming together for me now.

Out of Time

Scratch spin still not great, but that has to come back, right? Right ???!!!!

I am struggling with fitness. After a couple of months of getting through swine flu, and a sciatic nerve problem, I really couldn't get through a 2 minute program. I am really going to have to push myself to build up fitness again.

liz_on_ice
11-08-2009, 01:23 PM
On Tempo - ventured onto the ice for the first time today. Went to a public session since I wasn't going to jump anyway and I could see dbny. Took two tries to get my skates laced tight enough and I was pretty skittish to start, but I warmed up and got my confidence back after tootling around for a while.
I did a couple of forward and backspins (I did *not* cross my free foot!) and a few sitspins (what they heck, it's halfway down to the ice anyway) and they came pretty good! I didn't even attempt a jump, too soon for that kind of jarring.

Out of Time - got the "no freestyle on public ice" lecture. Ptthh. I wasn't even jumping and hadn't tried spinning yet. Just some moves in the field. Pttthhhhhh

Kim to the Max
11-09-2009, 12:05 PM
[On Tempo]
Got into the test session this weekend...

[Out of Time]
I'm testing this weekend...and I have entered full freak out mode...couldn't land an axel last night to save my life...I was fine when I remembered to relax and calm down, but I was so over thinking everything...one of the coaches remarked how I seemed to be over thinking things... I just need to relax....because I can do this...

Kat12
11-09-2009, 09:15 PM
For Friday night's class:

Out of time: Okay, hard to remember this far after the fact, but...not too bad, if I remember correctly. So not really anything in this category. Except that I still can't spin. Oh, wait. And spirals were shaky. Darn.

On-tempo: N, our coach, taught us (T and I) waltz jumps from a reverse start (back crossovers). We were nervous, as we'd only learned waltz jumps on Tuesday, but my CW waltz is not too bad right now. CCW waltz worse, of course. She also taught us salchow, but I am so not getting that right now, so maybe that belongs under "out of time."

For going to the rink on Sunday:

On-tempo: I was up in my hometown visiting my mom for my birthday, so she went to the rink with me up there. She got to see my waltz jump--CW still pretty "on" (keeping in mind that it's somewhat-passable for a beginner, not that it's any good), CCW regressed a bit. Back crossovers felt pretty good. Rink not as crowded as my "home" rink, and hallelujah--no ice walkers!!! Not as many little kids to dodge, either.

Went to thrift store and found a couple pairs of snap-up-the-side warm-up pants. Tried out one pair yesterday and they seem to work well. Feels a bit awkward to take them off after I warm up, lol, and it took me a minute to figure out how to get them back on afterward, but I'm happy.

The boi got me a discount pass to my home rink for my b-day, so now I don't have to worry about carrying cash (the savings are minimal--$3.50 for a session instead of $4.00--but it's the not carrying cash that I really wanted. I almost never carry cash, so sometimes have to scramble to have some when I want to skate). He said there was some confusion because apparently there's someone who belongs to the club or something with my same last name, so they tried to tell him I wouldn't want a public skate pass but a freestyle pass (I think the rink has open freestyle). Then they established that my first name was different. Then they tried to tell him that figure skating wasn't supposed to be allowed on public sessions (but they never say anything). I think really they were just trying to get him to buy more expensive ice time. But if I remember right, their freestyle times aren't very conducive to working adults, so they can bite me. :)

Out of time: Got yelled at by ice monitor. Or rather, my mum did--she waved me over and said "the lady said to tell you that no jumps or spins are allowed on public ice." Yep, because my crappy waltz-jump and non-existent one-foot spins are SOOOO a danger to people. It should be noted that A. this "rule" is not posted (and there ARE rules posted on the wall) and B. I was not anywhere near being in anyone's way--everyone else was skating around the perimeter and I was in the center hockey circle, and I was making sure no one was around before I jumped. My mom also pointed out that the ice monitor said nothing to the three or four teenagers who were messing around playing tag, grabbing each other's shirts and getting towed along, etc. (something along the lines of "no horseplay" IS in the posted rules). Near the end of the session it cleared out a bit and when I noticed that some girl's boyfriend was sliding around on the ice with her in his sneakers and the ice monitor was nowhere to be seen, I threw in a couple spirals (catch-foot was, again, shaky. Darn).

For some reason, there were a bunch of dead flies on the ice. At least 7, if not more. Wonder what that was all about...

got the "no freestyle on public ice" lecture. Ptthh. I wasn't even jumping and hadn't tried spinning yet. Just some moves in the field. Pttthhhhhh
Yeah, if someone tried to tell me that, I'd tell them that when they're shelling out for me to go on a freestyle, then I'll stop doing 3-turns on public ice, but until then... (if I went on a freestyle session, besides for my class, I'd probably get tossed off the ice for not being advanced enough anyway...)

dance2sk8
11-10-2009, 08:53 AM
On Tempo: Back to jumping FINALLY!!!! My ankle is healing really fast! Did some waltz and salchow jumps yesterday. Felt pretty darn good, too!

My camel spin has come together! What is it with me taking a few weeks off in between and some of my hardest elements come together? Even though this time it was not intentional due to a sprain. Why is that! :lol:

Scratch spin is so fast and really keeping good form and centering. Even did some sit spins into a scratch spin combination.

Out of Time: Still need a little more healing before attempting the toe jumps (other than toe loop) and loop jumps due to the jarring and major flexing of the ankle. Not quite ready for that yet. Maybe by early next week.

tazsk8s
11-10-2009, 09:10 AM
On Tempo:

Spins have been pretty good. Camel is my nemesis but I even managed a couple of those this week. And I seem to have found my backspin, at least momentarily.

Flip jump has always been my friend. Loop jump was frighteningly well-behaved this week - that one is notoriously inconsistent for me.

I finally get back into lessons this week! I have been working on my own the best I can since getting back from my broken wrist, now that Regionals are over a bunch of the kids are changing their schedules around and my longtime coach has an opening on Friday mornings. Yeah, 6:15 am is not an ideal time for me, but I've managed before and will manage again.

Out of time:

Stupid hockey tournaments at the THREE local rinks I would normally skate at. Not even a public session to be seen. So not enough ice time this week.

Lutz is way, way out of whack right now. Glad I will be starting lessons again so my coach can dissect whatever is going wrong.

Back sit spin - just can't figure out how to go any lower. It feels like I'm just bending at the waist and sticking my rear end in the air. My forward sit doesn't feel like that at all, so why is it so much harder to get in a decent sit position on the other leg? :frus:

PinkLaces
11-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Out of Time First lesson in over a week due to coach being out sick last Tuesday and sick on Thursday which was going to be my make-up day for Friday. Spent the weekend DH in San Diego so no skating Friday-Monday. We went straight to the Bronze Moves test. Power 3's had no power. FW and BW power cross-over patterns were a bit off.

On Tempo Coach thought 5 Step Mohawk pattern was the strongest today. The left mohawk is finally feeling comfortable. We went through the elements for the Bronze free skate test. Scratch spin is good. Back spin is really starting to feel comfortable. Sit spin was good, but still needs to be lower. Jumps were pretty good.

Coach let me know that I am testing a week from today. Since I'm the test chair, I can't run our November test session and test at the same time. Too stressful. So she asked a judge that she and I know pretty well to come test me. So now I'm freaking out a bit. 8O

jazzpants
11-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Worked on BI3 with my primary coach today! He originally fixed it two months ago. Then I took a bad fall on an BI3, which essentially UNFIXED his fix... He had to fix it again this morning. I hope this time it will stick. (Have to remember to do his edge exercise first to get used to the BI edge with the arm position he wanted.) I also have FO3 exercises too since I can't seem to check after the FO3...

Nothing much really. I did today's assignment. I want that #$%* BI3's NOW!!! :evil: :frus:

Kat12
11-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Out of time:
Waltz jumps sorta poo, esp. CCW way. CCW salchow nonexistent. Still can't spin. A couple spirals--esp. left catch-foot--still shaky, and I did fall once (banged my left hip bone on the ice. It's gonna leave a nice bruise).

On tempo:
CW salchow improving. Which isn't saying much, but still. Some spirals turned out nice, I think. Got a couple of CW waltz jumps that got a bit of distance to them.

dance2sk8
11-11-2009, 08:23 PM
On Tempo: Forward cross rolls are really coming along nicely. My coach was impressed with them. Also, now have a really nice camel spin!!! Consistent, too and at hip level! Leg is not bent either! So excited over this! Sit spin and scratch spin have come along beautifully. Double 3 turns are now smoother and not anywhere jerky like before. I realize these are coming more and more in handy for my entries into my toe loop and salchow jumps.

Off Tempo: Backward cross rolls, can do them, but now need to re-learn how my arms are supposed to be. Poop!!! :frus: Still cant' do any toe jumps yet (other than toe loop). Might be able to do a loop jump by Saturday if ankle continues to gain strength over the next several days as it has been doing.

Now, off to theraband strengthening for my ankle. :D Hope everyone is enjoying their ice time! :D

tazsk8s
11-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Out of time:
Waltz jumps sorta poo, esp. CCW way. CCW salchow nonexistent. Still can't spin. A couple spirals--esp. left catch-foot--still shaky, and I did fall once (banged my left hip bone on the ice. It's gonna leave a nice bruise).

On tempo:
CW salchow improving. Which isn't saying much, but still. Some spirals turned out nice, I think. Got a couple of CW waltz jumps that got a bit of distance to them.

Just wondering...is your coach making you learn all the jumps both ways? Or are you just doing it just for your own sake? What about spins, are you having to learn those both ways too?

Not that it's a big deal...just that most people I've seen over the years settle on one direction for jumps and spins pretty early on. Only the handful of higher-level ISI people I've known have even bothered with opposite direction jumps. So I'm just being nosy, I guess. :)

Kat12
11-12-2009, 05:17 PM
^ Na, I'm doing on my own. But my coach is supportive (unlike some instructors I've had who have tried to convince me not to learn both ways). And one of my classmates is a CW jumper/spinner so I'm not alone in that either if I eventually decide to quit trying the ambidextrous thing.

And yep, I'm doing spins both ways too. Well, of course, "spins" since I suck at them. Spins are easier for me to go both ways, though. Jumps are a challenge. I keep thinking I want to give up and just go the one way, but I change my mind. :)

Bill_S
11-12-2009, 06:07 PM
On Tempo: I had my first time back on the ice for a week. The end of the school quarter is near, and work projects in the evening have displaced skating until tonight.

I did an axel. It was tiny, probably whippy, but it feels SO NICE rotating that much in the air! Good clean backward landing too. I remember seeing my free leg step up in front, felt the loft, and I knew I had to pull in and wrap, and it just happened. The second attempt didn't go as well, so I quit while I was ahead, and the memory was fresh in my mind.

I wish I had a video of it... no, wait, ...maybe I don't!:lol:

flo
11-12-2009, 07:51 PM
On tempo - am just getting back to regular skating after the flu. Nice to be back to the program choreography!

kander
11-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Out-Of-Time: I had a scare in my lesson this morning. I came REALLY close to waxeling again. This is what messed up my shoulder big time a year ago. I haven't done that since last January. Just goes to show you can never let your guard or concentration down. After my near miss I lost my nerve and couldn't do anything except a couple toe loops the rest of the session.

On-Tempo: Despite my scare I did a couple nice toe loops. I'm not afraid of that jump.

Kim to the Max
11-13-2009, 06:49 AM
I'm not going to put labels on stuff, but I am testing tonight at 5:30pm and tomorrow around noon....have Juvenile Free tonight and Junior moves tomorrow 8O I'm ready physically, it's not just a mental game with myself...

Skate@Delaware
11-13-2009, 07:29 AM
On tempo - am just getting back to regular skating after the flu. Nice to be back to the program choreography!
I'm heading back tonight-been a week since I've skated. This flu thing has has hit hard. Glad you are back!
I'm not going to put labels on stuff, but I am testing tonight at 5:30pm and tomorrow around noon....have Juvenile Free tonight and Junior moves tomorrow 8O I'm ready physically, it's not just a mental game with myself...
Good Luck!!!!!!

Isk8NYC
11-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Out of Time: I hate my skates. I don't even enjoy skating anymore.

dance2sk8
11-13-2009, 10:55 AM
^ Na, I'm doing on my own. But my coach is supportive (unlike some instructors I've had who have tried to convince me not to learn both ways). And one of my classmates is a CW jumper/spinner so I'm not alone in that either if I eventually decide to quit trying the ambidextrous thing.

And yep, I'm doing spins both ways too. Well, of course, "spins" since I suck at them. Spins are easier for me to go both ways, though. Jumps are a challenge. I keep thinking I want to give up and just go the one way, but I change my mind. :)

Spinning both ways has been easy for me. I started out spinning clock wise, but I jump counter, so I had to learn to spin both ways. Jumping both ways, not going to happen. My brain doesn't function that way.

Skate@Delaware
11-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Spinning both ways has been easy for me. I started out spinning clock wise, but I jump counter, so I had to learn to spin both ways. Jumping both ways, not going to happen. My brain doesn't function that way.
Ha Ha! I can do a very teeny tiny waltz jump the "other" way cause I had to in order to demonstrate it to my students....but for spinning the other way? No way! Tried it once and it freaked me out. You are way braver than me!

jazzpants
11-13-2009, 04:01 PM
This is for yesterday:

Out-of-Time:

Working on the dreaded spin entry problem from the windup! (Problem is I am not stepping into a FO edge for the spin. I am stepping onto a FI edge and then flipping the foot to a FO edge, which is a NO-NO!!!)

On Tempo:

I think I am starting to get it now. My secondary coach who normally does NOT subscribed to the Lussi method of spin essentially said "I don't normally subscribe to it but let's try it and see what happens.' Happy to say that it actually started to fix the problem a bit. :lol: :frus::giveup:

ISk8NYC: Your boots are causing problems again? Maybe time to get a totally new pair of boots?

celticprincess
11-13-2009, 04:35 PM
On Time: -Single jumps
-axel attempts were really good...I think I may have landed it from a stand still, but not completely sure
-Scratch spin
-Had a very nice layback spin
-So I created another spin...since my hips are closed and rather flexible, I can bring my leg up and touch my head from the side....sort of a closed hip hair cutter. Boy is it fun!!!
-Backspin was behaving well today

Out of Tempo: -As usual camel spin
-Had a rather massive fall from an axel attempt where I landed directly on my left bum cheek
-Double sal attempts were okay...but for some reason...I chickened out alot on it.
-The rink was crowded and ice wasn't in all that great condition
-Choreography run through..was very hard because the rink was so crowded.

So as you can see, today was more of a spinning and axel day. I only had an hour to practice so I mostly focused on those things. So I suppose it was quite successful!:) Now unfortunately my butt hurts really bad.

Isk8NYC
11-13-2009, 04:55 PM
ISk8NYC: Your boots are causing problems again? Maybe time to get a totally new pair of boots?I had that same thought today. I was going to see if I could catch up with jwrnsktr today, but I made about fifteen excuses because frankly, I'm skating like sh** and it's just not any fun! I can't even demonstrate low-level stuff safely for my students on these skates. I feel like I'm on a treadmill going nowhere fast with my skating.

I've never had problems with skates like this and I don't know what else to do. I've had the boots inspected by Klingbeil, I've bought two new pair of Gold Seal blades, and made two five-hour trips to have them mounted/adjusted. They're still not right. It's gotta be the boots, but Don says they have plenty of life left in them and the pro shop guy didn't seen anything wrong.

I've been wearing Klingbeils since the mid-1980's, so I have no idea what other brands would be usable for me. I tried on someone's Jackson Customs and they were rock-hard. Maybe she ordered them that stiff, but I don't think I could break them in at all.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Kim to the Max
11-13-2009, 05:59 PM
I passed my Juvenile Free!!! My axel was not up to snuff, but I still got a pass...it was very cheated and I'm not happy with that, but I skated well and got some good remarks from the judges on my spirals, layback, and sit spin :) and my footwork!

Now on to junior moves tomorrow!!

Skate@Delaware
11-13-2009, 07:47 PM
YAY KIM_TO_THE_MAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go!!!!!!

On-Tempo: hit the rink today, after a nearly 2-week hiatus (thank you flu). Not too bad, I had used my inhaler before I left my house. I little wobbly but not shabby.

Out-of-Time: we did moves & jumps; when will I POINT MY FREAKIN' TOES AND ACTUALLY TAKE OFF on the stupid loop jump???? Sheesh! And my timing stinks, I take forever. :frus: I need to do this jump off ice again, when I did this over the summer, it made such a big difference.

I need to crack down on the diet/exercise thing-Women's Health magazine had a nice workout for November that I'm going to hit....as for my diet, it needs improvement. Although I hover around the same weight, my composition has shifted slightly (not in a good way). This is important because I've been hitting the peri-menopause wall (night sweats anyone???) :roll:

PinkLaces
11-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Congrats Kim_to_the Max!!!!!

Thursday
Out of Time Had an extra lesson with coach today to make up for no lessons last week. We started out with Bronze free skate elements since we had done the Moves test on Tuesday. My salchow has developed a skid in the middle of the 3 turn. So we practiced making them long and getting rid of the skid. Coach is convinced my blades are shot, but nothing I can really do about it with my tests coming up next week. The toe loop also has reverted to waltz toe with any speed. So I really have to concentrate on thinking about a back pivot and then jumping. If I think toe loop, I waltz toe. Sit spin is in a bad spot in my program. It's in at the top of the circle where all the CCW skaters go to practice lutzes. I can get it about every 3rd time without someone coming at me.

On tempo Loop and backspin were good. Scratch spin good. Waltz toe loop not bad. Ran through program and ended with the music.

Friday

Out of Time The 1st 2 patterns on the Bronze Moves have been giving me fits. Frustrating because they were pretty strong. My left arm likes to come in front to early and it's swinging me around. The 3rd lobe on the back landing is weak and too small. There is always some coach standing there giving a lesson so I've gotten in the habit of making it smaller. Sit spin - if I get lower, I can hold it for 2 revs. If I'm up higher, I can hold it for 5 or 6.

On Tempo Had lots of practice running through my program. The footwork between my salchow and toe loop is feeling way more comfortable. I was able to not get run over during my sit spin 4 of 5 times. I had one pretty good sit spin at the end of my lesson.

Isk8NYC
11-13-2009, 10:24 PM
I passed my Juvenile Free!!!
Now on to junior moves tomorrow!!

Congratulations!

flo
11-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Congrats Kim!!!
Skate@Delaware - glad you're feeling better as well. I managed a few jumps and spins tonight.

PinkLaces
11-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Group lesson today and we worked on sit-spin, sit-spin, and sit spin.

On Tempo Position is good. Was able to correct enough to get my butt down and get more speed on the spin. Yay!

Out of time Lots of traveling.

dbny
11-14-2009, 02:06 PM
I passed my Juvenile Free!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!

On Tempo:
I am finally well enough to skate and I had my regular lesson yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks. I had sent my coach a link to a youtube video of a roller figure competition and she was amazed at how straight the knees were for the three turns. Yesterday, while we were working on my FO threes, something clicked for her, and she had me bend my knees twice as deeply as I was doing. It was a huge help to me! My big problem (next to checking) is that I can't feel the rock up to the toe, so she realized that since I had come from roller, I might need to really exagerate the knee bend to be able to feel the rock, and she was right. I think this may be my missing link for finally naily F threes. Spurred on by a student's success with B threes, I decided I have to really work on them myself, so coach spotted me on both BO and BI. She was surprised to see that I had less trouble getting to the back of the blade on B threes than I do rocking to the front on F threes. I think that may be the roller again, as you do have to "sit back" for those in roller also. Did a few spins that were OK, and learned how to teach a loop jump on the wall (actually did one myself 8O)

Out of Time:
Ugh! No stamina at all - which I expected, but still.... I didn't stay to practice after my lesson because I was worried about exhausting myself. I was on the ice about half an hour before the lesson. I just can't afford another relapse of this sinus thing.

Kim to the Max
11-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Thank you, everyone.

Got a retry on my Junior Moves, but it's okay...there were a few things that I knew that came up on the test forms, but there were a couple that coach was very confused by as was I...I just think they need to get their eyes checked for those :)

dance2sk8
11-14-2009, 03:34 PM
On Tempo:
Learned the Dutch Waltz, today in my ice dancing lesson. Really liked it and got it under my belt pretty fast. Just need to tweak my edges a little more.

Camel spin into a back catch!!!!! Easily done today! First attempt, too! Showed my coach and she was really thrilled! May end up using that for my program come January.

Scratch spin was super fast today. Got really dizzy after since I don't do that all that often in fast fashion. :lol:

Sit spin was nice and low.

Off Tempo: Sit spins were traveling a bit. Wasn't happy about that. Couldn't do as much in jumps due to my ankle being a tad sore after spending two hours yesterday jumping. My ankle felt really good, so I worked on my loop, salchow, flip, and waltz jumps.

Need to take tomorrow off and rest my ankle for Monday.

Skate@Delaware
11-15-2009, 07:41 PM
On-Tempo: Lesson went very well tonight, considering I haven't been skating lately (flu). Despite not being able to spin very well lately, complaining only proves me wrong in front of coach, my scratch was good. Some were off but fixable. Sit spin was good, these are slowly making progress! Actually did one where my free leg was in the right position, as was my foot! Went around about 2 revs. Nice! I need to focus on lowering my booty and keeping my arms lower (as in reaching for my knees instead of "out there"). Worked on field moves a bit, then jumps (salchow, toe-loop, loop). Spent the most time on the loop, and actually made it all the way around with air time (yay) but still not rolling off the toe 100%. grr! Did some toe-loops, then she had me do some toe-toes...they were fun! Need to keep my arms out so I don't rotate all over the place though.

Out-of-time: for field moves I did the 3-turn pattern, now I need to focus more on the edges, keeping my feet neater and achieving better "flow" yeah.

Timely: I had some of the girls show me how to do the off-ice axel exercise! I know my coach will show me in due time, but I need extra time to work on these things, and I do believe this can carryover to my other things.

We talked about a test session, the one in Laurel Maryland is on a Monday. She will see if she can make it and let me know....otherwise we will look around for another one. I just feel that she needs to be there-we BOTH worked too hard on these moves to make it a team effort of one.

londonicechamp
11-21-2009, 05:07 AM
Hi

Well, this is a bit late now, but this was for my last week's thread:

On-tempo
Getting speed on my forward and backward crossovers. Change foot spin was not too bad. Loop jump- somewhat getting there. Backspin: consistent 1 revolution. Waltz jump-the jump itself was not bad. Sratch spin: only managed to hold the skating right leg in front during practice, with about 6 to 8 revolutions.

Out of time
Well, coach wanted me to hold my skating right leg in front, for lesson. Probably coz not used to it, that is why only managed about not more than 4 revolutions.

Waltz jump: needed to correct the hand position. Was concentrating too much on the jump, thus always forgot about the hand.

Loop jump: wanted to work more on it with coach, but we ran out of time. :(

Somewhere between in tempo and out of time

My sit spin: coach has not been checking on it for a while now, and so I do not really know whether getting low enough or not. Tried to get low enough, but always ended up sitting on the butt.

Lesson only once a week, as normal Tuesday slot gone since a month ago, so really needed another lesson so can improve and reinforce on things that I have learnt. Will ask coach next week, as saw her teaching on Friday when I went for practice, as opposed to her original Tue and Thur teaching.

londonicechamp