View Full Version : How did you start competing?

FSWer
10-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Say,I was wondering how all our competitors here started competing?

Mrs Redboots
10-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Filled in an entry form, sent it in with the fee, turned up at the relevant rink on the right day and time. Is there any other way?

rlichtefeld
10-30-2009, 10:13 AM
I was dragged (kicking and screaming) into it by my coach and the other adult skaters in my group class. That was the 2000 Peach Classic, held at my rink.

Fell in love with competing. Been at it ever since. Have competed in 5 US Adult Championships, 8 Peach Classics, 1 New Years Classic, 1 Halloween Classic, 1 Blades in Bama, 1 Florida Open, 3 Mountain Cups (Villard de Lans, France) and 2 Vana Tallinn Trophies (Tallinn, Estonia).

Planning on one of the Adult Sectionals (depending on which ones other pairs teams are competing, we'll go to Easterns or Mids), Adult Nationals, probably the Mountain Cup, and then the Peach Classic.

Rob

liz_on_ice
10-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Filled in an entry form, sent it in with the fee, turned up at the relevant rink on the right day and time. Is there any other way?

All of the above, after my coach told me how much fun it is and I should do it.

fsk8r
10-30-2009, 10:17 AM

I think the coach said it was a shame to just have a program and use it once to pass a test and that it would be nice to use it more than once (ie competitions) and that it would give me something different to work for.

LilJen
10-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Coach bullied me into it!!! :) And I found out it's a good way to meet goals, to give yourself a kick in the butt to learn new stuff. And it's MUCH more difficult to string together a bunch of elements, some gliding, and a bit of arm-waving than it would appear.

jazzpants
10-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Coach bullied me into it!!! :) And I found out it's a good way to meet goals, to give yourself a kick in the butt to learn new stuff. And it's MUCH more difficult to string together a bunch of elements, some gliding, and a bit of arm-waving than it would appear.Yeah, I had the "coach bullying" thing too! He insisted just after I passed my Pre-Bronze FS test to put together a program for the Bronze FS test. Of course, I was at that time far from testing Bronze FS test. But he had already put together a Bronze FS test program and wanted me to get practice in performing the test program so that's how I got suckered into competing. :twisted:

Skate@Delaware
10-30-2009, 09:29 PM
I asked my coach about competing, and she found some competitions for me to enter. It was that easy!

Rusty Blades
11-01-2009, 06:53 PM
I started skating at 57 and a bunch of adult skaters talked me into trying competition in my first couple of months. Then I had to find a coach who supported my goal. In 2007, at 14 months after first being on skates I was at the Canadian Adult Championships. I am not much good but competing gives me a goal and the motivation to keep pushing my limits.