View Full Version : My friend has problems doing a forward scratch spin.

londonicechamp
10-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi

My friend in the same skating rink, has the same coach as me. She told me yesterday that she was very upset as she was trying to learn and practice a scratch spin, and cannot do it at all. Once she tries, she is just stuck.

Anybody knows what her problems are?

londonicechamp

blackmanskating
10-29-2009, 12:01 PM
There is really no way for anyone to tell unless they see the skater attempt the spin. Give your coach time to fix this problem. I think spins are harder than jumps. :frus: The frustration is natural. The spin will happen.

BlackManSkating

LilJen
10-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I am really not a natural spinner. In frustration my primary coach finally sent me to another coach at the rink who has a knack for helping people with spins. It's taken about 6 months but I FINALLY can pull off a forward upright spin consistently, and the real, honest-to-goodness scratch spin has happened several times. Backspins and sitspins coming along too.

It might be as simple as having another coach help you with spins only. Sometimes it's just the right word or tip that helps. It also helped me knowing I had a spin lesson every week--forced me to practice a lot. Good luck!

Skate@Delaware
10-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Sometimes becoming very frustrated over an element makes you very tense-this can actually inhibit you from achieving what you are trying so hard to obtain! Tell her to relax and not stress-with coaching and time it will come.