View Full Version : NYC Christmas 2009 Meetup: Anyone coming?

jazzpants
10-26-2009, 02:58 PM
I know this is early, but just a heads-up to let 'ya know I'm coming back to NYC/NJ again!!! Will try to make a trip to the Hack for those White Manna burgers again!!! :yum:

Skittl1321
10-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Don't know what dates you'll be there, but I'll be in the area from December 31- January 4. (So really just Jan 1-3, depending on flight times.)

A lot of that is family obligation time though, but I'm going to keep a look on this conversation in case it ends up a time I could come by and skate, especially because it will be so close-by. Don't know if we'll be staying in Bogota, Westwood, or Bergenfield- I have family all around the Hackensack area (my sister was born in Hackensack...) but really, it's all the same place as far as I'm concerned!

I wasn't planning on packing my skates, but if the dates work out, I will.

herniated
10-26-2009, 07:39 PM
I will go to Hackensack...just give me a date and I will try to work it out.

renatele
10-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Will definitely try to make it!

Isk8NYC
10-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Don't know if we'll be staying in Bogota, Westwood, or Bergenfield- I have family all around the Hackensack area (my sister was born in Hackensack...) but really, it's all the same place as far as I'm concerned!If you're staying in Westwood, you have to check out Fritz Dietl's, just for the nostalgia. Rinks like that are quickly disappearing.

Jazz - I'll give it a shot, but no promises.

The 9-hour commute is a beast, but DH said something about plans to avoid our annual New Years Eve unwanted "tradition." I'm not sure how he said we would flee, I mean, to where we would be traveling. lol

liz_on_ice
10-27-2009, 08:55 AM
I should be cleared to skate again by then, but hackensack is a pain to get to, will stay tuned,

jazzpants
10-27-2009, 02:06 PM
I should be cleared to skate again by then, but hackensack is a pain to get to, will stay tuned,I may have to do two meetups. One for the Hack and one for Aviator again. We will definitely have a rental car with us on the trip. (Not my idea this time... hubby insisted!) I don't know if I could make all my foodie trips this time, since we're only staying a bit more than a week and hubby's idea of a REAL vacation is to lie somewhere and do nothing but sleep! Whereas mine to get in as much skating as possible, take my lessons with my NYC coach and go to as many foodie places as possible! :yum: )

liz_on_ice: I have specifically requested "NO DIM SUM" just for you!!! :lol: :P Don't think we're going to KPD though, since dbny does not like this place anymore. If you have a recommendation or suggestion nearby that area that is suitable for you, please make one! I think given the weather, that "something warm and comforting" would be suitable!!! :)

dbny
10-27-2009, 04:50 PM
liz_on_ice: I have specifically requested "NO DIM SUM" just for you!!! :lol: :P Don't think we're going to KPD though, since dbny does not like this place anymore.

Jazz did not actually have to do that, as I would not want to put you through that experience again! I went to KPD recently, with DH, and neither of us were happy with the food. I'll start asking around about good diners in the area. I know there are two others nearby, and one is reputed to be pretty good, but has limited parking.

Liz & Herniated - Maybe we three can do a partial carpool to Hackensack if the timing works out.

herniated
10-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Sounds good db, if the timing works out.

liz_on_ice
10-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Jazz did not actually have to do that, as I would not want to put you through that experience again! I went to KPD recently, with DH, and neither of us were happy with the food. I'll start asking around about good diners in the area. I know there are two others nearby, and one is reputed to be pretty good, but has limited parking.

Liz & Herniated - Maybe we three can do a partial carpool to Hackensack if the timing works out.

You are making it sound awful, but really, I had plenty to eat and excellent company. A good time was had.

Given the choice though, I'd suggest Indian, mexican, or greek as possibilities.

and the carpool plan sounds great!

jazzpants
10-27-2009, 08:05 PM
You are making it sound awful, but really, I had plenty to eat and excellent company. A good time was had.

Given the choice though, I'd suggest Indian, mexican, or greek as possibilities.

and the carpool plan sounds great!If we're going for Hackensack as the next meetup, how about White Manna Burgers? It's cheap... and it's GOOOOOD!!! :twisted: :yum: :lol: (Just kiddin'... I'll bring back those burgers on my way back though. :giveup: )

I believe there are LOTS of (good?) restaurants nearby! Two blocks off Rivers St. is Main St. where there's lots of shops and food. I believe if you drive down a bit North on Rivers St. from the rink that there are also some diners around the area... and we know "Jersey" is well known for their diners, right? ;) (And yes, there is a nearby Indian restaurant. The place is Tandoori Chef (http://www.tandoorichef-nj.com/index.php) on Main St.)

Skittl1321
10-27-2009, 08:13 PM
My husband says he'll throw around figuring skating terms to fit in if he can come get a White Manna burger

jazzpants
10-27-2009, 08:16 PM
My husband says he'll throw around figuring skating terms to fit in if he can come get a White Manna burgerMaybe I should bribe my DH to see what I can get out of him for bringing back some White Manna burger! :twisted: :P :lol:

dbny
10-27-2009, 08:22 PM
I would probably love Tandoori Chef, but I don't eat burgers unless they grind a piece of steak right in front of me.

Skittl1321
10-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Assuming I can make it, I'm up for Tandorri chef too.

jazzpants
12-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Bumpity-bump-bump!!!

The Hack's FS schedule is up here:

http://www.icehousenj.com/figureskating_on_ice.aspx

If we're doing weekdays, probably best to go on the 3:45-4:30 and the 4:40-5:30pm session. I'll find out if Moves Guru is available on any weekdays around that time too!

I'll let dbny check on the schedule for the last week of December at Aviator. That said, this is the schedule that's up on the website. (There is a holiday public session schedule link but when I got there, I got a 404 error. :(

I am pretty open all week as long as it's not in the mornings since I'm likely to have lessons with my NYC coach.

If we're doing weekends, best to have the meetup in Aviator.

We already know we're going for Tandoori Chef.... :yum: ;)

Do we want to set up a carpool too? I will have my rental so if it's a problem I can drive in myself to the Hack

Skittl1321
12-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Do we have a day yet? I'm in NJ from the Dec 31st- Jan 4th (but can really only do the 31st-2nd for family obligations) so I might miss you.

Assuming you're there for those days and Hackensack is open on the 31st/1st- I am pretty sure I could make either of the sessions you named. I think the earlier one would probably be better for me on the 31 because I have some family obligations in the evening. The 1st either is fine, if they are open. I'd only be able to make dinner if we did the 1st, but even just skating would be fun.

Saturday (2nd) I could only do the morning since I have family stuff in the afternoon/evening. I think that Aviator is going to be too far for me to make though.

dbny
12-06-2009, 10:39 PM
I'll let dbny check on the schedule for the last week of December at Aviator. That said, this is the schedule that's up on the website. (There is a holiday public session schedule link but when I got there, I got a 404 error. :(

I am pretty open all week as long as it's not in the mornings since I'm likely to have lessons with my NYC coach.

If we're doing weekends, best to have the meetup in Aviator.

We already know we're going for Tandoori Chef.... :yum: ;)

Do we want to set up a carpool too? I will have my rental so if it's a problem I can drive in myself to the Hack

I'll post as soon as Aviator get their act together. They change things at the drop of a hat (or should I say at the drop of pre-paid ice time?)

I'm not a morning person myself, so afternoon is much better for me.

I would love to hitch a ride to the Hack. I hate NJ traffic! I would even meet someone part way there, as long as Manhattan was out.

flutzilla1
12-07-2009, 08:17 AM
I can probably meet up at an afternoon Hack FS session as long as it's not on a Tuesday and I can give work enough of a heads up that I have to leave early. Hopefully hubby can take the little one with him for the afternoon but if not is it okay if he comes along again?

I still vote with you for Manna Burgers but if everyone else would rather do something else thats ok too...:)

jazzpants
12-11-2009, 02:02 AM
I'm thinking it's either gonna be the 30th or Liz's b-day (1/1/2010) Thursday I can make but I don't know if the rink willl be open around then. I'm trying to see if I could get a lesson with Moves Guru too, but I doubt it (which is too bad b/c I do want to see him again.)

renatele
12-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Would love to meet up again, whether for skating and dinner, or just dinner!

Can't even reliably say now which day would work for me; of course weekday late afternoons/evenings are easier to manage, esp. if we are getting together in NJ, as are weekends.

Skittl1321
12-12-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm thinking it's either gonna be the 30th or Liz's b-day (1/1/2010) Thursday I can make but I don't know if the rink willl be open around then. I'm trying to see if I could get a lesson with Moves Guru too, but I doubt it (which is too bad b/c I do want to see him again.)

If it's the 1st in Hackensack, I'll be there

dbny
12-12-2009, 11:31 PM
:cry: Not sure I can make the 1st in Hackensack. I could do Aviator, but don't know if I'll have time to get to NJ. If it's late enough, I might manage.

jazzpants
12-14-2009, 04:11 PM
:cry: Not sure I can make the 1st in Hackensack. I could do Aviator, but don't know if I'll have time to get to NJ. If it's late enough, I might manage.
How late are we talkin' here? Would New Year's Eve (Thursday) be better for all at the Hack (assuming they have a FS session then?)

liz_on_ice
12-14-2009, 07:39 PM
How late are we talkin' here? Would New Year's Eve (Thursday) be better for all at the Hack (assuming they have a FS session then?)

Sounds like getting everyone isn't going to fly - getting to Hackensack is tough for me - I was going to try hitting dbny up for a lift.

Ah well - schedule for what works and if I can possibly make it, I will.

liz_on_ice
12-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Oh - there's a new rink, World Ice, which is reachable by subway and has nice ice wasn't open yet this time last year. Consider an inspection run. :D

dbny
12-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Sounds like getting everyone isn't going to fly - getting to Hackensack is tough for me - I was going to try hitting dbny up for a lift.

OK, I would drive with your company to keep me sane :lol:.

I have nothing happening NYE, but hate to be on the road then.

jazzpants
12-15-2009, 12:37 AM
You guys can get a lift from me... I have a rental and given DH is a big tall guy and is likely to drive the car more than me (though I will drive to the Hack, not him...) that the car will be roomy!!! :P But we need to meet somewhere central. (How about the Aviator rink? :twisted: :lol: )

herniated
12-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Oh - there's a new rink, World Ice, which is reachable by subway and has nice ice wasn't open yet this time last year. Consider an inspection run. :D

It's a nice rink, beautiful facility!! And easy access both by car/mass transit!

jazzpants
12-15-2009, 03:32 PM
I am calling around Hackensack, Aviator and the World Ice Area rinks now to find out the holiday schedule. I'll know more than I know their schedules. Stay tuned...

I am aiming towards both Hackensack and Aviator b/c I know the rinks well, but I haven't closed the door on that one yet.

I may be aiming for a duel meetup with both Hackensack and Aviator, mainly b/c of the commute issues. The other option I'm looking into is New Year's Eve at Hackensack (and if dbny, if the concern about driving on NYE is the crazy drivers of NY and NJ, I'll be willing to take them on on our car pool since I will have my rental car with me!!! :twisted: )

But lemme know what you think of the World Ice Arena though. Perhaps this may be the in between meeting we need to meet at.

Skittl1321
12-15-2009, 03:36 PM
I can only do new years eve in Hack if it's like 3:30 or later. (My ride gets to me at Newark Airport at 2:30)- unless someone wants to pick me up at the airport :) (I actually get there at like 11:00)

But if I miss, life will go on- and I won't have to lug skates on the plane!

jazzpants
12-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Well, looks like New Year's Eve is SHOT for the Hack. The last FS session is 2-2:50pm... :( Just as well...

BTW, dbny: I'd mentioned to hubby about going to skate New Years Eve and he said "Are you crazy!?!?! People start drinking at Noon on New Year's Eve and the drunk drivers will be out shortly after..." Just thought you'd get a kick out of that reaction. :P :lol:

So now it's looking like it's gonna be a duel meetup.

So my suggestion is this:

Dec 30th at Aviator -- time to be determined, but it will be late afternoon!!! Dbny... would you please check on the FS session schedule for this day?

Jan 1st at the Hack -- I was told by someone at the Hack that it should be running the normal FS session on this day. But worst thing to happen is that we'll all probably end up on the public session going on from 12-6pm. I'm hoping that by Jan 1st, everyone who's drunk and partying on New Year's Eve will be sleeping it off that day!!! :P

FrankR (or anyone that skates at the Hack regularly) -- if you are reading this (I doubt it! He's not online much...) please let me know the schedule too -- as well as if you would like to join us too! :)

renatele
12-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Dec 29th would work quite well for me (usually take 4 hours off on Tuesdays, anyway)...
30th - depending on time, might be able to make it, but would need a ride from the subway to Aviator.
Jan 1st - most likely can make it anywhere/anytime.

sexyskates
12-16-2009, 06:02 PM
I have to work on the 30th and yes, the drunks are out. I'm off on 1/1 -1/3 and available to skate, so could probably meet up with you guys again this year!

dbny
12-16-2009, 06:09 PM
BTW, dbny: I'd mentioned to hubby about going to skate New Years Eve and he said "Are you crazy!?!?! People start drinking at Noon on New Year's Eve and the drunk drivers will be out shortly after..." Just thought you'd get a kick out of that reaction. :P :lol:

What can I say, except that great minds....etc. :lol:

Dec 30th at Aviator -- time to be determined, but it will be late afternoon!!! Dbny... would you please check on the FS session schedule for this day?

I just came from there, and they STILL do not have a finalized holiday schedule :roll::frus:. I'll check again tomorrow and will try to run down the guy responsible and get it from the horse's mouth.

30th - depending on time, might be able to make it, but would need a ride from the subway to Aviator.

I can probably do that. I live near the subway and would even come back to get you if I have to be at the rink much earlier ("early" is not a word I like, so it should work out fine anyway.)

Depending on the time, I might be able to do the Hack on Tuesday, the 29th.

Skittl1321
12-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Jan 1 at Hack works fine for me anytime.
Just have to make sure they'll let me carry skates on. If they try to make me check them, I'm throwing them back in the car. And you guys probably don't want to see me try to skate in rentals :)

jazzpants
12-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Jan 1 at Hack works fine for me anytime.
Just have to make sure they'll let me carry skates on. If they try to make me check them, I'm throwing them back in the car. And you guys probably don't want to see me try to skate in rentals :)

Do a search on this board for the term "TSA". I've used daisies' method (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=389342) and it worked for me. I tried talking to the TSA Supervisor method but never get to them... I always get sent to the overall TSA government website or their offices (which does NOT deal with the specific airport I'm flying to and from.) :frus:

Skittl1321
12-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Yeah- but I'm not checking a bag, it's just too expensive. (I figure if they make me check them on the way back, it's not too much). So if they so no, it's a no-go for me, and we'll just run them back to the car. (Real small airport- plenty of time!)

Isk8NYC
12-17-2009, 08:06 PM
You could take a small chance and FedEx them in a box to whoever's picking you up at the airport ahead of time.

dbny
12-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Iceland, in New Hyde Park (Long Island) is a rink we haven't considered yet. I was there today and noted that they have extra FS for the holiday week. There is also an excellent Italian restaurant nearby. (I can provide a ride for anyone from Brooklyn.)

Tue 12/22 4:15 - 6:15 $20
Wed 12/23 4:30 - 6:30 $20

Aviator schedules are out at last! All of their FS are 50 minutes. The public sessions are guaranteed to be total bedlam.

Aviator Holiday Freestyle Schedule:
Dec.21 Monday:7am,8am,9am,10am(rink A)
4pm,4:50pm,5:40pm
Dec.22 Tuesday:7am,8am,9am.
Dec.23 Wed: 7am,8am,9am,10am(A),11am(A)
Dec.24 Thurs: 7am,8am,9am,10am-ALL Rink A
4:40pm,5:30pm,6:30pm-ALL Rink A
Dec.25 NO FREESTYLES
Dec.26 Saturd: 7am,8am,9am,10am-ALL RinkA
Dec.27 Sunday 10am,11am-ALL Rink A
Dec.28 Mond: 7am,8am-RinkA,9am,10am.
4pm,4:50pm,5:40pm-Rink A
Dec.29 Tuesd: 7am,8am-Rink A, 9am,10am
Dec.30 Wed: 7am,8am-Rink A, 9am,10am
4:40pm, 5:30pm, 6:30pm
Dec.31 Thurs: 7am, 8am, 9am, and 10am-RinkA
Jan.1 Fri: NO FREESTYLES
Jan. 2 Sat: 7am, 8am, 9am, 10, am

Aviator Holiday Public Session Schedule:
Wed 12/23 10:00 AM – 8:00PM

Thurs 12/24 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM

Fri 12/25 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM

Sat 12/26 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM
3:30 PM – 6:30 PM
7:00 PM – 12:00 AM

Sun 12/27 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM
7:00 PM – 11:00 PM

Mon 12/28 - Wed 12/30 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM
7:00 PM – 11:00 PM

Thu 12/31 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM

Fri 1/1/10 11:00 AM – 8:00 PM

jazzpants
12-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Dbny: Thank you for getting the schedule!!! :bow:

It's looking like we would have to have the Aviator meetup on the 30th @ 4:40pm and 5:30pm As for the Hack: I was told that it should be regular hours on the 1st of the year, so I am thinking late afternoon sessions as well there too. (Rink 1 - No Test - Juv session.)

Please reply as to which of the two you can go to...

herniated
12-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Neither one works for me.

renatele
12-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Dbny: Thank you for getting the schedule!!! :bow:

It's looking like we would have to have the Aviator meetup on the 30th @ 4:40pm and 5:30pm As for the Hack: I was told that it should be regular hours on the 1st of the year, so I am thinking late afternoon sessions as well there too. (Rink 1 - No Test - Juv session.)

Please reply as to which of the two you can go to...

30th: 5:30 @ the Aviator - will be coming from Manhattan, will need a ride from the subway (and back after). Maaaybe can make 4:30, depending on the boss, and even more so depending on what will be going on at work.

1st: late afternoon ok, unless we decide to do something as a family, then I'll need to bail out.

jazzpants
12-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Neither one works for me.

When/where can you make? I'm guessing mornings, right? Can you make dinner afterwards?

herniated
12-19-2009, 11:44 AM
When/where can you make? I'm guessing mornings, right? Can you make dinner afterwards?

Sorry Jazz, just in a negative mood these days. The 30th I'm in Queens in the early a.m. to get new blades mounted...so..to come back in the afternoon, I just don't know right now if I can do it. And don't know if I want to skate on new blades while I'm trying to socialize with you all.

Anyway, just pick a day and time and I will discuss with DH to work it out. The biggest issue is my child and is the DH going to be home to watch him and that I live on Eastern Long Island(very east). That is and will be my issue for get togethers for awhile. :lol: I love being his mom but there are sacrifices. More on my part of course. So,again just pick a day and I'll see what I can do. I REALLY want to get together and finally meet you all.

Skittl1321
12-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Anytime on the 1st (in Hack) should work. I just need to know as soon as we decide, so I can let my Dad know plans (I won't have a car).

liz_on_ice
12-19-2009, 04:20 PM
evenings are tough, have to arrange for sitting, but I'll try to make it when the date settles.

jazzpants
12-24-2009, 08:12 PM
I have arrived safely at my in-laws!!! And unfortunately (as usual) in commute traffic. Those of you that know Long Island near Queens know how much of a PAIN Sunrise Highway is.... :frus: http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/boese/a025.gif

The dates and times I mentioned in the previous post (i.e 30th at Aviator in the late afternoon and Jan 1st at the Hack, also late afternoon) is what I'll be sticking with for the mean time. :)

Now crashing to bed for a MUCH needed rest!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/d035.gif

dbny
12-24-2009, 09:27 PM
I can definitely go to the Aviator one, and still not sure about 1/1.

herniated
12-25-2009, 08:45 PM
May be able to make Aviator..which session in the afternoon are we talking about? DH and DS may be coming with me. Not to skate just to watch and get to know all of you!

jazzpants
12-25-2009, 08:53 PM
May be able to make Aviator..which session in the afternoon are we talking about? DH and DS may be coming with me. Not to skate just to watch and get to know all of you!4:40PM – 5:30PM and 5:30PM – 6:20PM session and as for food... I don't know where to go... Except for the one year where we had dim sum, we've always gone to King Plaza Diner b/c that's where I get the most selection of food.

Skittl1321
12-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Urgh, guess I'm going to HAVE to check my skates... stupid idiot in Detroit, now there's no way they'll let me carry them on.

See you at Hack on the 1st, unless something weird comes up. (What time was the session?)

jazzpants
12-26-2009, 10:31 PM
See you at Hack on the 1st, unless something weird comes up. (What time was the session?)UGH!!! Sorry about the skates! :(

The FS session I'm aiming for are 345pm-430pm and 440-525pm (Rink 1). I'll call the skating school on Monday just to re-verify that the schedule is still the same as of Jan 1st.

herniated
12-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Ok...so who is going to Aviator on the 30th?? I know jazzpants is going..I have a 50/50 chance of going. Here's my dilemma. I may be getting my new dance blades mounted and not sure if I want to 'try' them out at a new rink to me. On the other hand I will be with friends who can hold my hand, lol. I'm not sure.

But my question is still who is going on the 30th?

jazzpants
12-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Ok...so who is going to Aviator on the 30th?? I know jazzpants is going..I have a 50/50 chance of going. Here's my dilemma. I may be getting my new dance blades mounted and not sure if I want to 'try' them out at a new rink to me. On the other hand I will be with friends who can hold my hand, lol. I'm not sure.

But my question is still who is going on the 30th?Dbny will be there b/c she coaches there.

renatale: I will have a car, as would dbny, so if you need a ride, ping me or dbny and we'll pick 'ya up!

jazzpants
12-27-2009, 03:47 PM
May be able to make Aviator..which session in the afternoon are we talking about? DH and DS may be coming with me. Not to skate just to watch and get to know all of you!

Another fellow skater (newly minted Gold skater) may be joining us on the Hack trip and will be making the trip with me. Stay tuned... 8-)

Skittl1321
12-27-2009, 06:29 PM
I'll only be able to skate one session (money and knees that don't let me skate for more than one hour...) not sure which, since I will rely on some family member to give me a ride. I'll keep an eye here to see what time others are planning if not going for both.

Are we planning on eating after Hack too or just Aviator? Not sure if I have family commitments for dinner or not...

jazzpants
12-27-2009, 07:23 PM
I'll only be able to skate one session (money and knees that don't let me skate for more than one hour...) not sure which, since I will rely on some family member to give me a ride. I'll keep an eye here to see what time others are planning if not going for both.

Are we planning on eating after Hack too or just Aviator? Not sure if I have family commitments for dinner or not...

We were thinking of the Tandoori Oven for the trip to the Hack, which is basically Indian buffet. (Unless you guys want to go to White Manna for burgers instead. :twisted: :yum: ). As for the Aviator, we have not picked a place yet. But I'll suggest a couple of places soon. Keep watching this thread! :)

Skittl1321
12-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Both sound great, so if no family obligations I'll be eating (do you think I could get a ride?) but won't know until next week.

dbny
12-27-2009, 08:29 PM
I have a couple of suggestions for the Aviator meet-up. One is Osaka, which is obviously Japanese. I've had sushi and nabeyaki udon there, and I've been told the teriyaki chicken and salmon are very good. The other one is Jay & Lloyd's, which is Jewish deli. The sandwiches are huge and easily shared. There are also a few other diners nearby that we could try. Finally, if anyone is up for a 20 minute drive, we could go to El Viejo Yayo in Park Slope. It's Cuban and fabulous! We could always leave a car at Aviator and car pool to a restaurant.

dbny
12-27-2009, 08:33 PM

If they get tired of watching, Aviator has indoor rock climbing, a bungee jump thing, and a flight simulator ride along with various "computer" game machines and Dance Dance Revolution. They also have a "Winter Wonderland" this week only, which is a ride in a tube down a snow slide and then into a couple of large bounce houses. A $5 wristband gives unlimited rides, but it may be too tame for your DS. Finally, if your DS wants to try skating again, I would be happy to spend some time with him on the public session. It's a short walk between rinks with skates on.

dbny
12-27-2009, 08:37 PM
The FS session I'm aiming for are 345pm-430pm and 440-525pm (Rink 1). I'll call the skating school on Monday just to re-verify that the schedule is still the same as of Jan 1st.

The pot-luck I'm going to is from noon to 3, so I could leave there around 1:30 or 2. Would that be early enough to catch a ride with you?

jazzpants
12-27-2009, 08:52 PM
The pot-luck I'm going to is from noon to 3, so I could leave there around 1:30 or 2. Would that be early enough to catch a ride with you?
I think so for the Hack. I may have to pick up someone else at the subway, though I may ask her to meet a bit earlier so I can pick up the two of you before going. The last time I was there, I was at least 1.5 hrs. early... that said, it was wonderful since I got to watch a bunch of elite skaters skate their practice session. (I got to meet Adam Rippon thanks to flutzilla!!! He liked my purple boots!!! :D )

dbny
12-27-2009, 09:39 PM
I think so for the Hack. I may have to pick up someone else at the subway, though I may ask her to meet a bit earlier so I can pick up the two of you before going.

Depending on which subway she takes, I might be able to pick her up so she can wait at my house instead of the subway.

Skittl1321
12-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I have nothing useful to add- but I'm irrationally excited about this today. I can't wait to get to NJ.

Sadly my skates need sharpening, so no judging me. With the icy roads I don't know when I'll be able to get to my sharpener again...

Isk8NYC
12-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Jim Skibin at the Hack is an excellent sharpener, but you have to make an appointment in advance because he's so busy. You might want to ask now (his info is on the rink's site) and perhaps you can get the sharpening done while you're there.

Have a good time.

liz_on_ice
12-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Any rides still available to Hackensack?

Isk8NYC
12-29-2009, 09:45 AM
This sounds like it could be fun....http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70142

Skittl1321
12-29-2009, 09:53 AM
This sounds like it could be fun....http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70142

It does seem fun but $400 is really expensive. (Even with a $75 discount)
Hope anyone who goes reports back!

Also- if we are going out to eat after Hack, would there be room in a car for me and potentially my husband? (My Dad is dropping me off, and likely picking me up, but I feel bad about asking him to do place to place transportation)

jazzpants
12-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Any rides still available to Hackensack?
You know how to get to dbny's home? I'm picking her up, so if you could meet us there, we can all meet up there! With the fourth friend it will be a full car! :)

renatele
12-29-2009, 02:09 PM
so ... who's planning on going to Aviator and who's coming to NJ? Don't think I can do both, most likely will go to Aviator - am going to ask my boss if it's ok to leave early tomorrow.

herniated
12-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Ok, I'm can't come to Aviator. Possibly hackensack.

liz_on_ice
12-29-2009, 02:53 PM
so ... who's planning on going to Aviator and who's coming to NJ? Don't think I can do both, most likely will go to Aviator - am going to ask my boss if it's ok to leave early tomorrow.

I'm still waffling myself, want to travel together? then need to figure out how to get back to A or J train from Aviator.

renatele
12-29-2009, 07:16 PM
It is possible that dh will come to Manhattan and give me the car (I have to bring home something heavy from the office). We could go together then :) but I won't know until I get to the office whether that thing is ready for me. Boss said ok for me to leave early if nothing is going on.

I'm still waffling myself, want to travel together? then need to figure out how to get back to A or J train from Aviator.

dbny
12-29-2009, 07:41 PM

If you come to Aviator and stay for dinner out, I'll drive you home. I'm just so excited that you're going to skate again! If you can't stay for dinner afterwards, I'm sure we can find some way to connect you with the A or J. Will have to look at a map later.

It is possible that dh will come to Manhattan and give me the car (I have to bring home something heavy from the office). We could go together then :) but I won't know until I get to the office whether that thing is ready for me. Boss said ok for me to leave early if nothing is going on.

Is that for Aviator or Hackensack? If you don't have a car for Aviator, I can pick you up at the subway. I'll PM you with my cell #.

renatele
12-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Is that for Aviator or Hackensack? If you don't have a car for Aviator, I can pick you up at the subway. I'll PM you with my cell #.

Aviator. And I got e-mail from coworker that the stuff is ready for me, so now it is just the matter of everything going smoothly at work and convincing dh to come to NY.

dbny
12-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Jazzpants - Is DH coming to Hackensack with us? If it's just you, me and Herniated, then there should be room for Skittl and her DH to and from the restaurant. If Renatele and Liz choose Hackensack also, then I should consider driving (ugh!, but would do it if it means including more of us.) My one condition is that I have company both ways, so maybe you could pick up Liz and I could take Renatele.

We need decisions!

herniated
12-29-2009, 08:01 PM
dbny-don't worry about me.. if I come I'd be driving with my DH and DS.

Skittl1321
12-29-2009, 08:06 PM
If there isn't room for me and DH, I just won't go out to eat- that's okay. I just don't want to have to have my Dad drop me off at the rink, pick me up and take me somewhere, and then pick me up again.

Also- I had a jump lesson tonight, so I'm all ready to show off my jumps. HAHA. Just no one ask to see an 8-step mohawk!!

dbny
12-29-2009, 08:24 PM
dbny-don't worry about me.. if I come I'd be driving with my DH and DS.

Great! Hope you can make it.

If there isn't room for me and DH, I just go out to eat- that's okay. I just don't want to have to have my Dad drop me off at the rink, pick me up and take me somewhere, and then pick me up again.

Also- I had a jump lesson tonight, so I'm all ready to show off my jumps. HAHA. Just no one ask to see an 8-step mohawk!!

Noooo! You have to skate with us. It's looking good for that right now. Don't worry, I'm no 8-step fan.

Skittl1321
12-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Clearly I was foggy when posting. "I just won't go out to eat" is what I meant to say. (But if there is room, then DH and I will be eating too)

I'm going to come skate!!! (Possibly twice in one day, as my family is going to public skate someday this weekend- I'm hoping it's the 2nd to give my knees some rest)

dbny
12-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Clearly I was foggy when posting. "I just won't go out to eat" is what I meant to say. (But if there is room, then DH and I will be eating too)

I'm going to come skate!!! (Possibly twice in one day, as my family is going to public skate someday this weekend- I'm hoping it's the 2nd to give my knees some rest)

Great! At first, when I re-read, I thought I was the foggy one :)

jazzpants
12-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Jazzpants - Is DH coming to Hackensack with us? If it's just you, me and Herniated, then there should be room for Skittl and her DH to and from the restaurant. If Renatele and Liz choose Hackensack also, then I should consider driving (ugh!, but would do it if it means including more of us.) My one condition is that I have company both ways, so maybe you could pick up Liz and I could take Renatele.

We need decisions!
My DH is NOT coming with us on either Aviator or Hackensack! It's just you, me, Herniated and possible one more gal who is coming from Indiana that I have asked to join us. Of course, this one gal is also waffling, so she might not join us either for the Hackensack trip either. We'll know more when she lands in from LGA tomorrow night. If she can't make it, then yeah, I can fit you guys. If she can make it, we might have to take two cars.

My rental car is a Toyota Corolla (either last year's or 2007?) I should be able to fit 4 easily and 5 max.

Would that help?

Skittl1321
12-30-2009, 07:55 AM
I can always uninvite DH and he can hang out with my family instead.
He was way more interested in yummy food than skating conversation :)

So then it sounds like we could all fit in one car (I can be the squeeze in the middle back, since I'm the spare), based on Jazzpants's list: It's just you, me, Herniated and possible one more gal . (So is Renatele not coming to Hackensack?)

I think I'm going to come during the earlier session, but not skate until the second one.

(ETA: New hitch. My family also wants to go skating sometime while I am there, and it looks like the rink doesn't have any morning public sessions. So I'm thinking 90% chance we'll be skating Friday afternoon. So I'll be there for at least one of the freestyle sessions, but depending on the times, who knows which one or if dinner will work out. I know jazzpants has seen my pictures on facebook, but for anyone else I'll be the short girl who looks lost (I'm generally scared of new places), in a white or red fleece jacket, with a purple autograph on her left boot.)

jazzpants
12-30-2009, 08:52 AM
I can always uninvite DH and he can hang out with my family instead.
He was way more interested in yummy food than skating conversation :)

So then it sounds like we could all fit in one car (I can be the squeeze in the middle back, since I'm the spare), based on Jazzpants's list: It's just you, me, Herniated and possible one more gal . (So is Renatele not coming to Hackensack?)

I think I'm going to come during the earlier session, but not skate until the second one.

Well, she is uncommittal so she probably not show up. But tell your hubby that we are just gonna go to White Manna to pick up burgers after dinner. That said, that will definite keep him on the invite list! LOL!

Skittl1321
12-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Well, she is uncommittal so she probably not show up. But tell your hubby that we are just gonna go to White Manna to pick up burgers after dinner. That said, that will definite keep him on the invite list! LOL!

Man you guys eat a lot.

(yeah, I know you meant after skating)

renatele
12-30-2009, 09:10 AM
So is Renatele not coming to Hackensack?

Most likely not, but if I do, I will come in my own car since I'll be traveling from home, not work.

Are you coming to downtown Manhattan any of these days by chance (I work there)? Even if I can't meet you on the ice, would like to just say hello in person.

jazzpants
12-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Man you guys eat a lot.

(yeah, I know you meant after skating)

What I meant is that I promised my DH that I would pick up White Manna burgers for him on my way back. We LOVE our White Manna burgers, but we know our stomach limits! :lol: :twisted:

Skittl1321
12-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Most likely not, but if I do, I will come in my own car since I'll be traveling from home, not work.

Are you coming to downtown Manhattan any of these days by chance (I work there)? Even if I can't meet you on the ice, would like to just say hello in person.

I'll be in Manhattan on Sunday, not during the week- my Dad wants to skate at Rockefeller center, but have no idea what the times will be, or what our plans are. (And thank goodness he'll be paying for that. Hackensack is expensive enough. I complain about $9/hour ice out here!)

jazzpants
12-30-2009, 09:18 AM

I'm in downtown Manhattan tomorrow, but am pretty much sticking to CP and Penn Station. Too cold for this Californian! 8O

renatele
12-30-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm in downtown Manhattan tomorrow, but am pretty much sticking to CP and Penn Station. Too cold for this Californian! 8O

That's not downtown! :lol: BTW Liz works not too far from me, are you sure you are not up to quick lunch in WTC/financial district? We'd finally have a chance to get together for lunch with Liz ;)

Skittl1321
12-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Too cold for this Californian! 8O

Which is so funny, because I have hope that my visit will be warmer than it is here. (Everytime I look it is a little bit warmer there.)

dbny
12-30-2009, 11:38 AM
So, who will be at Aviator this afternoon for sure? Jazz & I, and it looks like Renatele. Liz??? Should I check the subway maps?

renatele
12-30-2009, 12:25 PM
So, who will be at Aviator this afternoon for sure? Jazz & I, and it looks like Renatele. Liz??? Should I check the subway maps?

Yup, I'm coming - and if nothing comes up in the next 2.5 hours, will have a car and can bring Liz with me to the rink.

liz_on_ice
12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Yup, I'm coming - and if nothing comes up in the next 2.5 hours, will have a car and can bring Liz with me to the rink.

yay! you can all watch me waddle around in all my new gel pads :D

renatele
12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
... and as Murphy's Law has it, some weird weird stuff is going on with one of the servers - don't know yet if it is something that will force me to stay in the office longer

dbny
12-30-2009, 03:10 PM
... and as Murphy's Law has it, some weird weird stuff is going on with one of the servers - don't know yet if it is something that will force me to stay in the office longer

Any update? I will hang around the house longer so I can pick up Liz at the subway, if you are delayed.

Skittl1321
12-30-2009, 05:49 PM
We're heading out. Will see you at either the 3:45pm or 4:40 session on the 1st :)

jazzpants
12-30-2009, 10:21 PM
See you on the 1st, Skittl1321!!! :)

I'm back from the first meetup! I wish we had pictures for this one but we forgot to take a picture at Aviator and the service at the Turkish restaurant we went to tonight was SOOOOO bad that we were lucky just to get our CHECK, never mind ask them to take a picture of the four of us (renatele, liz_on_me, dbny and me.) :x :frus: Too bad... they just lowered their tip to hopefully somewhere near 15%. :evil:

Liz looked very confident on ice for someone who just came back after 4 weeks and with a very obvious wrist cast!!! :bow:

Renatale does her edges like your typical Juv Moves kid. Don't mess with her!!! (And thank goodness we didn't get to see her doing back crossovers. Make mine look really bad! :P :twisted: :bow: :lol: )

Dbny, your edges improved this year! The ice dance is helping alright!!! :D

As for me and renatele had also complained about this too... this year Rink A's ice seems COLDER and HARDER than last year. I don't get this. Last year, Rink B was frozen rock solid to the point where I can't pick and Rink A was much better ice. This year it was the opposite and I didn't dare try to jump on that ice, lest my pick couldn't catch the landing. I don't feel I had much more improvement than I did last year, but knowing that I haven't had a lesson in 6 months 'til two months ago, I'm not gonna bash myself up on it.

Gotta sleep now... last lesson tomorrow with NYC coach before I go back to SF!!! :cry:

ETA: Bring your hubby, Skittl1321... the other friend won't be able to make it... :cry:

herniated
12-31-2009, 02:07 PM
hey all,
I won't be able to make it tomorrow. The in-laws are coming out.

jazzpants
12-31-2009, 08:12 PM

So it's just me, dbny, Skittl1321 and her DH. So how do we arrange lifts here? (Skittl.... check your FB email for my contact info!!!) :)

Sexyskates: Hope you can still join us at the Hack too!!! :bow:

Skittl1321
01-01-2010, 09:53 AM
I will meet everyone at the rink. I'm staying in new jersey just a few minutes away from hackensack. We'll need a ride to dinner, though.

sexyskates
01-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Hey Jazzpants!
I just skated a really nice freestyle from 9 to 11 AM at Iceland in New Hyde Park - a special 2 hour session for $20, and not crowded! Sorry, but Hackensack is 2 bridges away for me (and the dreaded Cross Bronx Expressway). Have a great time on your Meet Up! I loved that Dim Sum last year - yum!

renatele
01-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Liz looked very confident on ice for someone who just came back after 4 weeks and with a very obvious wrist cast!!! :bow:

Renatale does her edges like your typical Juv Moves kid. Don't mess with her!!! (And thank goodness we didn't get to see her doing back crossovers. Make mine look really bad! :P :twisted: :bow: :lol: )

Dbny, your edges improved this year! The ice dance is helping alright!!! :D

As always, it was awesome getting together!

Liz, when you were doing edges on the line, I commented to dbny that your posture is excellent! And although you said you felt like you were crawling on 3-turn pattern, it actually had a very good flow, and was moving well.

Joanna, BXOs looked good!

dbny, thank you for those awesome cross-stroke exercises!

... and I later learned the reason why I was feeling so unmotivated to skate ... AF ...

Have fun today!

liz_on_ice
01-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Hey Jazzpants!
I just skated a really nice freestyle from 9 to 11 AM at Iceland in New Hyde Park - a special 2 hour session for $20, and not crowded! Sorry, but Hackensack is 2 bridges away for me (and the dreaded Cross Bronx Expressway). Have a great time on your Meet Up! I loved that Dim Sum last year - yum!

Oh rats, I stopped checking rinks for freestyles this morning before I looked at Iceland, or I'd have gone. Must get to Great Neck this season.

liz_on_ice
01-01-2010, 01:49 PM
As always, it was awesome getting together!

Liz, when you were doing edges on the line, I commented to dbny that your posture is excellent! And although you said you felt like you were crawling on 3-turn pattern, it actually had a very good flow, and was moving well.
awww thanks

you were zipping along quite handily, woohoo.

jazzpants
01-02-2010, 02:57 PM
awww thanks

you were zipping along quite handily, woohoo.Yup!!! BOTH of 'ya are zipping along there quite handily!!! Unlike ME who was frozen stiff... literally!!! 8O Will look forward to mild temps in the 60's where I can actually warm up and STAY warmed up afterward!!! 8O

Had a wonderful time with dbny and met Skittl1321 and her DH!!! Skittl1321 has an excellent camel and a budding back sit spin that I'm QUITE envious of. Her back 3's are coming along too!!! :bow: And dbny was also zipping along too. All that ice dance training is paying off this year. :)

I have a feeling I won't be going to AN in 2011 given my rate of progress. My back 3's along with the other Silver Moves decided to stay home in SF and not come with me on the trip, so I have regressed on those. :frus: GRRRRR!!!

Rink 1 at the Hack... BRRRRR!!! As if Aviator Rink A wasn't bad enough... http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/verschiedene/r020.gif

The only bad things: 1) Dbny was my navigator to go home and I had forgotten in the midst of figuring out my route back to stop by White Manna on the way back after dinner. Oops!!! :oops: 2) We had instructed our waiter to pack our food home for dbny.... Ooops! He tossed it out!!! But he apologized but did NOT offer to make a fresh dish so we have something to bring home. GRRRR!!! There goes his tip!!! :x :evil: )

Skittl1321
01-02-2010, 09:26 PM
I had forgotten in the midst of figuring out my route back to stop by White Manna on the way back after dinner. )\

My Dad said he drove by and they were closed- so it was probably better you forgot. (He thinks just closed for the night though, not closed down)

It was tons of fun skating with everyone. Jazzpants has fantastic jumps- really leaves the ice, and dbny offered me some fantastic tips for many of my elements. And while Jazzpants did not like the ice at Hack, I LOVED it. It was hard ice and my spins were fantastic. She said I have a good camel, but that might be the only time it ever was.