View Full Version : Do skates get larger over time?

SkatEn
10-23-2009, 11:40 AM
I have my skates for probably less than half a year. When I first put them on, the left boot feels a little loose and just right on the right boot after it was punched out.

Recently, the left boot seems increasingly wider and longer. I've to tie it tighter so that it doesn't move/slide. It does feel different on the right too, but the left is bothering me more, perhaps because it was the one that fitted larger in the first place.

Do skates expand? Or did my feet shrink? I know my left is the smaller foot.

liz_on_ice
10-23-2009, 12:25 PM
I have my skates for probably less than half a year. When I first put them on, the left boot feels a little loose and just right on the right boot after it was punched out.

Recently, the left boot seems increasingly wider and longer. I've to tie it tighter so that it doesn't move/slide. It does feel different on the right too, but the left is bothering me more, perhaps because it was the one that fitted larger in the first place.

Do skates expand? Or did my feet shrink? I know my left is the smaller foot.

If you have lost significant weight since you got your skates, that can account for it.

renatele
10-23-2009, 12:59 PM
What Liz said. Also, if your boots have lots of padding, it tends to eventually compress, too.

falen
10-23-2009, 02:26 PM
I have a pair of rec jacksons (I only pond skate) and they keep growing!

icedancer2
10-23-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm sure they stretch some - I wore my last pair for 15 years and had grown almost a size when I bought new ones - when we looked carefully at the old pair you could see where they had stretched because my feet have gotten bigger as a result of aging and most likely some age-related weight gain :twisted:.

SkatEn
10-25-2009, 08:40 AM
I've not lost/gained significant weight. It could be the padding, though I don't think so.

What can I do then?

Also, do I get a size smaller next time since they get larger? This is not the first pair to "grow" as I wear them! But if I get it smaller, it won't be comfortable. :frus:

sk8tmum
10-25-2009, 08:58 AM
What brand are you wearing? Riedells will seem to "stretch" over time, as they are designed to be fitted extremely tightly in order to accomodate the padding inside the skates; my kid suffered the misery for two weeks, and they then fit fine, other skaters who had them fit "comfortably" are now complaining about slopping about in loose skates. Our fitter, who is extremely well-respected, discussed that with us when we bought the Riedells, explaining why they were so tight at first.

Clarice
10-25-2009, 10:40 AM
But if I get it smaller, it won't be comfortable. :frus:

Who said skate boots were supposed to be comfortable? The break-in period often involves a certain degree of discomfort. How long have you had your skates? If they're not that old, I'm guessing that sk8mum is on the right track, and they were probably too big to begin with.

AgnesNitt
10-25-2009, 10:54 AM
You could try those Silipos ankle sleeves. (http://icemom.blogspot.com/2008/03/accessory-review-silipos-gel-ankle.html) Just cut it to cover what you want then wear a nylon knee high over it.

icedancer2
10-25-2009, 11:11 AM
You could try those Silipos ankle sleeves. (http://icemom.blogspot.com/2008/03/accessory-review-silipos-gel-ankle.html) Just cut it to cover what you want then wear a nylon knee high over it.

Try a Dr. Scholl's footbed insert - the thin ones - not the one with an arch support - cut it to fit inside of your boots. That or a piece of felt or even very thin leather should help.