View Full Version : NYI Announcement and Entry Form

Debbie S
10-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Now Posted: http://www.wfsc.net/

New this year: IJS will be used for Gold and Masters FS, Spins will be done all at once and not with separate warm-ups in-between, and MIF events have been replaced with "Footwork" events. That last one is disappointing. I was thinking of entering to get practice for my (eventual) Gold MIF test. Doing partial MIF patterns on half-ice defeats the purpose, and looking at the eligibility requirements, I can't do Bronze or Gold, and you couldn't pay me enough to do the 8-step again.

I don't like how they're using MIF tests to disqualify (since I've passed Silver MIF, I can't do Bronze) and FS tests to qualify (so I can't do Gold b/c I'm not Silver FS). Choose one or the other. Even if they'd let me do Gold, I don't think I'd want to put my footwork out against Gold and Silver skaters who could have passed up through Int MIF. And CM for me is out b/c Bronze is requiring a flip. Looks like I won't be doing this comp. :(

RachelSk8er
10-23-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't think I can make it again this year. Darn. Wyandotte is the weekend before, and I can't do 2 weekends in a row. Since Wyandotte is only 2 hrs away versus 5 and Stormy has a conflict with NYI and may come to Wyandotte too (yay), I'll be at that one.

It was a great competition last year, I highly reccomend going if you can. I would have liked to do the new masters footwork event, it sounds fun!

flo
10-23-2009, 03:06 PM
I don't care for the new footwork-moves hybrid. Make it one or the other. I'd like to do footwork at a gold level, but do not do moves. I would not want to waste the training time to learn the patterns just for a competition.

SK8RX
10-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Too bad it's the same weekend as the new Adult Competition in Escondido, CA..

Terri C
10-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Humm, I was looking at this and while yes, I am aware that it costs to rent the ice, $90 for the first event is usually the cost for the first event at NQ Adult Sectionals. Since my home club has their competition 3 weeks later, I'm considering bowing out of this one.

Stormy
10-23-2009, 08:33 PM
I am soooo bummed this is the same weekend as Synchro Easterns. ARRRRRGH, they're even using IJS, too, which is awesome! I know myself and another Gold lady will have to miss NYI this year because of the synchro conflict. But this means a fun weekend (well, day) with Rachel at Wyandotte!! :)

sexyskates
10-24-2009, 09:53 AM
I love this competition, and it's always fun to go to the DC area and do some sightseeing.
I'm definitely going!

liz_on_ice
10-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Now Posted: http://www.wfsc.net/

I'm confused. I thought 'Invitational' meant you had to be invited to compete.

Stormy
10-24-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm confused. I thought 'Invitational' meant you had to be invited to compete.

Nope! In this case, it's just a fancy name. Anyone can enter. :)

flutzilla1
10-26-2009, 11:07 AM
(sigh) I see they are STILL requiring a camel spin in the Bronze spin events. Guess I won't be going (again). It's a shame because the duet/team interp sounds like fun....

Skittl1321
10-26-2009, 12:31 PM
(sigh) I see they are STILL requiring a camel spin in the Bronze spin events.

That seems so strange. I've seen only a few camels in Bronze programs, and even fewer good ones. I've always considered it to be a silver element.

skaternum
10-26-2009, 03:27 PM
That seems so strange. I've seen only a few camels in Bronze programs, and even fewer good ones. I've always considered it to be a silver element.

This particular competition is notoriously "uppity" when it comes to Spins events. :)

sexyskates
10-26-2009, 03:54 PM
This competition tends to have difficult elements. One organizer once told me that he likes to give us a challenge to keep it interesting. We're all in the same boat, so just go with it and have fun!

Terri C
01-24-2010, 10:29 AM
The schedule is posted. While I'm not attending, I looked at it. Looks like a very small competition this year.