View Full Version : If you were a FS Director at your rink..

SkatesinUSA
10-20-2009, 07:12 AM
If you were the Figure Skating Director at your rink.....if you could do things the way YOU wanted, what would you do differently than the person who is in that position now at your club? Would you change how freestyle sessions are conducted? Would you add/change the rules? What would you do to bring in more figure skaters, since enrollment seems down at a lot of rinks I've talked to. Just interested in anything/brainstorming/ideas. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions in advance!

jazzpants
10-20-2009, 05:15 PM
My current skating school director is FANTASTIC and has great credentials and background so I trust his leadership!!! 8-) :bow:

AgnesNitt
10-20-2009, 07:38 PM
I'd add a 730 am SAT and SUN Freestyle session for ice dancers and adults.

(I miss those sessions at my old rink. I mean Sun morning was all adults at all levels. Only time I could claim my own patch of ice for figures practice)

phoenix
10-20-2009, 09:16 PM
I'd have more ice available later in the day during the week. Our kids in the area (and/or parents) can't make it to the rink until around 4:30 due to school/work etc., and most days our FS ice ends right around that time! For some reason the rink can't get it through their heads that this doesn't work, and then can't understand why their 1:00-4:00 FS sessions are practically empty. :frus:

Re. bringing in more skaters--2 things. 1) Run a very good LTS program to bring them up from beginners, and 2) make it very compelling for coaches to work there, as the coaches will bring the skaters. There's a new facility in my area, absolutely beautiful, with pristine ice almost all day---and very few skaters training there. The reason? They make it expensive to coach there, so nobody does. There are plenty of other rinks in the area where the coaches can go--and they do.

liz_on_ice
10-21-2009, 09:13 AM
I'd have a 6am freestyle for the adults who have to dress and commute to work after. even if only once or twice a week. Earliest at the nearby rinks is 7am.

Skate@Delaware
10-22-2009, 12:14 PM
I'd contract out the snack bar...bring in something like Subway or a salad thing in addition to the burgers (which are really nasty at my rink)

-open up one of the un-used offices for a skater's changing room
-build an upstairs lounge overlooking the rink (there is room)
-add a Sunday freestyle session plus an "adults only" session
-add some homeschool sessions
-actively promote figure skating and hockey in the local school systems (so far that isn't being done)
-add more seating in the lobby...there isn't enough!!!!
-and keep promoting to build up the levels!!!! We'd be at the local festivals & malls with our portable surface showing off!

RachelSk8er
10-22-2009, 02:06 PM
I'd provide a locker room only for figure skaters with showers/bathroom that are kept clean, usable and female-friendly (at least 2 stalls, showers with curtains, etc). Perhaps even with lockable lockers for home club members. That way skaters' things are not strewn about the rink lobby, and adult skaters who skate before work can shower.

We used to have our own club room with a small locker room, dance studio area (and equipment for plyometrics, bosu balls, etc), couch for parents to lounge, coaches' office, club office. But then the minor league hockey team came to town, decided to use our rink as their practice facility, and all of that got taken away and given to them. All we got in return were two itty bitty closet-sized offices off the rink lobby for the club and coaches.

I'd bring back Sunday afternoon/evening adult ice. Our club sponsored it, but it was dropped a few years ago and they won't bring it back even though we showed over the summer that adult-only sessions get good turnouts. I'd open it to skaters 16+ just to be sure turnout stayed high (since a lot of lower level teens would be better off on the ice with adults than little kids on regular sessions. I don't think many higher level kids would show up, they skate every day already and usually take Sundays off).

Query
10-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Almost nothing. I love my favorite rink. They do everything right except advertise - and if they brought in more people, it wouldn't be my favorite rink!

Skate@Delaware, you have thought this through a lot. Next time a local rink needs one, maybe you should apply - or offer to help the current one, so if they leave, you will be the heir apparent.

Skate@Delaware
10-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Skate@Delaware, you have thought this through a lot. Next time a local rink needs one, maybe you should apply - or offer to help the current one, so if they leave, you will be the heir apparent.
HA! Not on your life! I'm more than willing to offer constructive/creative input, especially to the out-of-state hires they keep bringing in (since I've lived here all my life-I know the people & the tone of the area)...but I would NEVER want to run a rink! LOL!!!!

BlueSkate
10-22-2009, 08:21 PM
My rink actually does things quite well. During the week we have at least 3 patch sessions in the morning and there's always at least one public session where people can practise at learn to skate levels.

I think a good way to get new kids interested is to bring them in via local schools as part of PE lessons for a few weeks at a time. Give them a private session with some coaches and try to teach both figure and hockey.

I'd also open up the upstairs bar during sessions that are likely to have a lot of kids and serve tea/coffee etc to parents. Our cafe doesn't look onto the ice but it's the only warm area parents can go if they don't skate, I think it can put parents off if they have to pick between watching their kids and being warm.

mamaskate
10-23-2009, 02:40 PM
1. Discounts or membership for skaters who use a lot of ice time

2. Changing area for skaters

3. More freestyle time

4. Rent out one of the party rooms to vendors on a rotating basis, since there's no pro shop there.