View Full Version : SkateWrecks: Monday Injury Report

AgnesNitt
10-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Since Kander's not here I'll kick it off. Get a boo-boo this weekend? Face plant during a spiral? Do a Kayskate or an AgnesNitt and break an ankle? Share your pain.

patatty
10-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Face plant during a spiral today for me. Yikes! I have never done that before. I think I was thinking too much about avoiding the group of adults chatting in the middle of the rink and not paying attention to staying over my blade. I had the wind knocked out of me and bashed my pelvic bone pretty bad. My ears were even ringing for a while. I feel ok now, so there doesn't seem to be any real damage done.

Morgail
10-19-2009, 07:12 PM
I have an appointment with the orthopedist tomorrow. Bleh. I've got ice on my ankle right now. :halo:

TreSk8sAZ
10-19-2009, 07:40 PM
I've been coming back from major knee surgery (think - removing bone from my knee without putting anything back) which kept me off the ice for a year. I've been back on for a month now and starting to get MITF back. Working on getting spins back is killing my hips. But I finally have been allowed to jump again - got waltz, sal and toe-loop (ok, they're pretty pathetic right now, but at least I'm doing them). Tried a loop for the first time today. WOW. My right leg (i.e. surgery leg) is not strong enough. I went down hard on my left hip and am going to have a huge bruise!

Kat12
10-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Yay, was the face plant during spirals inspired by me? :)

The funny thing is, I can't for the life of me figure out where I go wrong (other than that I know I lean forward too far) because it always happens so fast that I can't figure out what happened...it's just one of those "I'm up, I'm down" things...so there's no moment of "this doesn't feel right" before I'm on the ice...and the most recent time, I didn't feel like I was too far forward at all. Hrm.

Isk8NYC
10-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Does having a sore butt from sitting on cold metal bleachers (watching Synchro practices) all weekend count?

kander
10-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Doing pretty good this week. So far only an open wound still on my right ankle from forgetting to use my bunga pads. I keep skating which makes it tough to heal. Doh! No sore butt bleacher injuries or face plants :lol:

katz in boots
10-20-2009, 02:54 AM
Still suffering badly from sciatic nerve problems :roll:
Working on minimising further damage and trying to convince everyone around me that; "No, skating doesn't make it worse, of course not!"

dance2sk8
10-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Well, I'll be off the ice for a few weeks. :( I sprained my ankle (landing one for jumping) yesterday doing off ice jumping exercises before hitting the ice like I always do. I landed on the side of my foot (outside) and rolled it right under me as I came down. Swelled up immediately. Went to the hospital and had x-rays taken to ensure it wasn't broken. Thank goodness. So, hopefully it will heal soon. :frus::frus: :oops:

Mrs Redboots
10-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Coming home from skating I tried to close the car door on my face.... I should have taken arnica at the time, but by the time I'd put the shopping away I'd forgotten about it, but I can feel it now. And the arnica is in my skate bag, and my skate bag is in the other room, and I am feeling lazy....

Skate@Delaware
10-20-2009, 09:48 AM
No skating today...have another freakin' migraine plus muscle spasms in my upper back & shoulders. SO I will try to see the chiro today, apply heat, take tylenol and work on my term paper.

and whine a lot to the cat, he seems to be caring today.

Skittl1321
10-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Thinking that the pulled hamstring from a lunge in synchro two weeks ago triggered some sciatica. It is SO much better than last week (constant, horrible pain), but am still having to sit on a pillow at work, and am still in a lot of pain at work, but almost no pain at home.

Went to yoga last night and didn't have to modify anything, and was about 95% pain free when I came home, but now sitting at work again I have shooting pains in my butt and thigh, they haven't quite creeped down to my calf, so it's an improvement.

I'm going to skate tonight, since it only seems to hurt at work. (Must be the way I sit/particular chair, because I sat all weekend at home too.)

Skate@Delaware
10-20-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm going to skate tonight, since it only seems to hurt at work. (Must be the way I sit/particular chair, because I sat all weekend at home too.)
Just proof that work can be quite the pain in the rear! Hope you feel better, try re-adjusting your chair at work, and try to take more frequent "standing/stretching" breaks if you can (call them smoke/potty breaks if you have to).

LWalsh
10-20-2009, 05:54 PM
strained a groin muscle doing a flying camel this morning :frus:

ibreakhearts66
10-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Took a very hard fall yesterday on 2flip. Slammed down onto my left hip. It definitely hurt a lot at the time, but I didn't think it was going to be a problem. Well, it is incredibly sore, bruised and swollen. Just walking hurts. I was able to skate today and jumped for a little bit, but it got too painful. I'm competing at regionals this weekend, so I guess I'll just be spending a lot of quality time with ice packs!

I also seem to have down SOMETHING to my right hip working on rocker choctaws in my moves lesson, but I don't know what. Since friday I've been getting this horrible burning pain in my right inner-thigh area. It's really bad when I'm just hanging out around the house--I was even sweating and dizzy from the pain on Saturday or Sunday but, ironically, it doesn't hurt at all when I skate or dive.

liz_on_ice
10-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Saw the dr today. Alas, surgery is required. Scheduled for thursday, outptient
so I can be wretched in peace in my own bed afterwards. I've got a fine surgeon so pieces should all get out together in the right order

AgnesNitt
10-20-2009, 07:35 PM
saw the dr today. Alas, surgery is required. Scheduled for thursday, outptient
so i can be wretched in peace in my own bed afterwards. I've got a fine surgeon so pieces should all get out together in the right order

(((roses))) @};-@};-@};-@};-@};-
Get better soon

Morgail
10-20-2009, 08:30 PM
so I can be wretched in peace in my own bed afterwards. I've got a fine surgeon so pieces should all get out together in the right order

Aw, sorry to hear that! Hopefully it won't take too long to heal.

And I officially have tendinitis, per the orthopedic doctor. Good news, though - he said I didn't have to take a break from skating. :) He showed me a stretch to do that should help (and, wow, could I feel it...ow). Aside from that, just some ice and ibuprofen.
He also pointed at my heels and said I should wear more sensible shoes... :lol:

Skate@Delaware
10-21-2009, 10:32 AM
My migraine wasn't one after all-just a bad headache from a muscle spasm (which is actually worse cause they take longer to resolve)....so after a chiro adjustment I feel a slight bit better, but will have to wait it out. It's just painful and makes holding my flute painful (not to mention sleeping).

One of the other skating ladies at the rink had her shoulder surgery-no news yet (she re-injured it at Hackensack camp). Hopefully she will recover in time for our December show.

kander
10-21-2009, 11:15 PM

:cry: How'd it go? Get better soon!

ibreakhearts66
10-22-2009, 12:11 AM

Good luck!

I'm joining the sciatica club for the moment. I'm betting it's just a flare from skating so much and training for regionals. I took out the spin that caused the most pain (a CCoSp with stretchy positions and grabs and tucks and the such). I just have to get through regionals. I'm having ablation on November 6th so I won't be skating the week before as I can't take my heart medication and for a couple of weeks after, so everything should settle down.

Skate@Delaware
10-22-2009, 08:12 AM
I'm joining the sciatica club for the moment. I'm betting it's just a flare from skating so much and training for regionals. I took out the spin that caused the most pain (a CCoSp with stretchy positions and grabs and tucks and the such). I just have to get through regionals. I'm having ablation on November 6th so I won't be skating the week before as I can't take my heart medication and for a couple of weeks after, so everything should settle down.
here is an article on the yogajournal.com's website that might help you
http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/812 and you can search their website for other poses that might help. Although they recommend against any forward bending poses, when my lower back was acting up I did child pose but modified with a bolster.

Slept great last night, with the help of the muscle relaxer, I've started stretching and light strengthening of the shoulder girdle....stupid muscle spasm! My right shoulder blade has a bad habit of being weak and "winging" due to nerve trauma from an auto accident (years ago). I get lazy and forget to work it...this is how I get paid back :x.

Liz_on_ice, good luck with your surgery! I'm sure you will do fine!

Isk8NYC
10-22-2009, 11:34 AM
(((liz))) Hope all goes better than expected. Get well soon.

jazzpants
10-22-2009, 01:55 PM
so I can be wretched in peace in my own bed afterwards. I've got a fine surgeon so pieces shouldall get out together in the right order
(((((Liz))))) Hope the surgery went well today....

Not an injury... just a nagging cold! No coughing either. Just a nagging sore throat and just no energy. (The lack of energy could be for other reasons too like my trying to adjust my sleeping pattern so I can skate mornings again? :roll: ) I'm thankful, no flu symptoms though!!! :bow: But I'm constantly sneezing and nose is constantly drippy. :x

I'm joining the sciatica club for the moment.Welcome to the sciatica club... well, not that I heartily would welcome anyone in the group since I certainly wouldn't want anyone having this.. :P

Made an appt. with my chiro for another cracking session. Will definitely need a massage too soon enough.

dance2sk8
10-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Good news for me! I can finally put real weight on my foot. Not over doing it though. Its swollen and the top of my foot also swelled yesterday. Definitely bruised it through there. No pain today, that's a first. Stretching it, flexing, and doing activities to keep my foot and ankle active during recovery. Doing hot and cold water therapy. Really helping. So...all in all...more hopeful that I will be on the ice again soon.

ibreakhearts66
10-23-2009, 12:54 AM
here is an article on the yogajournal.com's website that might help you
http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/812 and you can search their website for other poses that might help. Although they recommend against any forward bending poses, when my lower back was acting up I did child pose but modified with a bolster.

Slept great last night, with the help of the muscle relaxer, I've started stretching and light strengthening of the shoulder girdle....stupid muscle spasm! My right shoulder blade has a bad habit of being weak and "winging" due to nerve trauma from an auto accident (years ago). I get lazy and forget to work it...this is how I get paid back :x.

Liz_on_ice, good luck with your surgery! I'm sure you will do fine!

Thanks for the link!

Stupid, clumsy me fell on my left hip AGAIN today, and on a single axel, no less! I was just tired and kind of flopped over. It was just starting to feel better, too. Icing as I type :frus::frus:

kander
10-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Good news for me! I can finally put real weight on my foot. Not over doing it though. Its swollen and the top of my foot also swelled yesterday. Definitely bruised it through there. No pain today, that's a first. Stretching it, flexing, and doing activities to keep my foot and ankle active during recovery. Doing hot and cold water therapy. Really helping. So...all in all...more hopeful that I will be on the ice again soon.

Good luck!

liz_on_ice
10-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Back from surgery, wrist feels pretty good although incision is sore. I go back to see dr in 2 weeks, bandaging comes off and stitches out.

Skate@Delaware
10-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Back from surgery, wrist feels pretty good although incision is sore. I go back to see dr in 2 weeks, bandaging comes off and stitches out.
Glad to hear! Be sure to follow dr's directions so you heal well, and have excellent nutrition also (balanced diet, lots of hydration, rest).

Afterwards, when you go back for follow up be sure to ask about scar massage & reduction....and follow their directions as well so you don't have a huge one. Be sure to keep it covered when you are in the sun or it could get ugly.

Isk8NYC
10-23-2009, 01:32 PM
(((Liz))) Get well soon.

Skated last night and now my right ankle is sore. Still struggling with everything - it's got to be the boots. ARRRGH!

One of the other coaches said she has a brand-new pair of Jackson custom boots that she hates. I'm going to try them on and see if they fit. If nothing else, it'll give me a spare pair to use if I have to send mine away.

Skate@Delaware
10-23-2009, 02:24 PM
(((Liz))) Get well soon.

Skated last night and now my right ankle is sore. Still struggling with everything - it's got to be the boots. ARRRGH!

One of the other coaches said she has a brand-new pair of Jackson custom boots that she hates. I'm going to try them on and see if they fit. If nothing else, it'll give me a spare pair to use if I have to send mine away.
Have you tried using the gel sleeves with your boots? Not sure if that would help or not....I am still wearing mine, as my boots are relatively new (I vow to stop wearing the gels after the ice show-they should be fairly broken in by then AND I won't be skating 3+ hrs on Fridays).

dance2sk8
10-23-2009, 03:06 PM
I hope everyone on this thread that are injured get well soon!!! <3

You are all in my prayers and I go through my journey of recovery.

ibreakhearts66
10-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Have you tried using the gel sleeves with your boots? Not sure if that would help or not....I am still wearing mine, as my boots are relatively new (I vow to stop wearing the gels after the ice show-they should be fairly broken in by then AND I won't be skating 3+ hrs on Fridays).

I HAVE to wear gel sleeves and a make-up sponge with my boots, even though they're broken in an very comfortable. The top edge rubs my ankle raw if I don't. I don't mind wearing them, though. I have to wear OTB tights or pull footless tights over the top of my boots so that the make-up sponge doesn't fly out, but oh well.

dance2sk8
10-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Good news!!! No more crutches and I can drive! Woopeee! I go for physical therapy over the next several weeks..I think I'll be on the ice next week possibly. Not jumping yet, but at least to work on moves and stroking. We shall see. 8-)

Skittl1321
10-26-2009, 02:44 PM
I HAVE to wear gel sleeves and a make-up sponge with my boots, even though they're broken in an very comfortable. The top edge rubs my ankle raw if I don't. I don't mind wearing them, though. I have to wear OTB tights or pull footless tights over the top of my boots so that the make-up sponge doesn't fly out, but oh well.

My boots are well broken in too, and I have to wear gel pads. I have scars from the few times I've forgotten the gel pads and they rub into my ankles- lots of pain and blood.

Skittl1321
10-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Good news!!! No more crutches and I can drive! Woopeee! I go for physical therapy over the next several weeks..I think I'll be on the ice next week possibly. Not jumping yet, but at least to work on moves and stroking. We shall see. 8-)

YAY! Take it easy though.

Kat12
10-26-2009, 05:16 PM
*sigh* Tried to call my doctor today to ask her if I should worry that I still have a (very mild) headache after my spill on the ice yesterday...naturally, when she called me back it was right as she was leaving the office, and my phone chose that moment to do the thing it does sometimes where it doesn't ring, so I don't know someone called me until it beeps to tell me I have voice mail. I didn't feel like calling her cell, so I just emailed a couple of my rink buddies (one's a doctor, another's a nurse) to ask what they thought. Other than the headache, which is barely noticeable, I don't have any symptoms of concussion so I don't think I need to worry, but you never know. How annoying. I'm hoping I'm fine because I don't want to have to limit my jostle-y exercising--I have a dance competition in like two weeks so not being able to practice beforehand would sort of suck (esp. since I was also limiting such exercise until recently because of a medical procedure I had done, so that left me with little time to practice as well).

ETA: my doctor rink buddy emailed me back and thinks from what I described that I'm fine...she suggested ibuprofen and said it's possible I have a bit of whiplash (which wouldn't surprise me--my neck sort of snapped when I hit the ice), so I'm a happy camper, lol.

dance2sk8
10-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Ankle is now hardly swollen. Only inside is still slightly showing signs of swelling, well, mostly fluid anyway. Had physical therapy last night for 2 hours. Going to pick up the cold laser machine today after work and take it home to use over the next week ( pays to have a friend who is a physical therapist ;) ). Its like an ultrasound but helps enhance your healing for injuries such as sprains. Getting closer to walking normally, however, still can't bend my ankle in the front very far without feeling some uncomfortableness. Grrr. If the swelling is completely gone by Friday and I am walking normally, I am skating on Saturday for an hour session. No jumping or anything fancy, just to get on the ice.

Depression is setting in and I don't like it at all. :cry:

Skate@Delaware
10-28-2009, 09:25 AM
*sigh* Tried to call my doctor today to ask her if I should worry that I still have a (very mild) headache after my spill on the ice yesterday...naturally, when she called me back it was right as she was leaving the office, and my phone chose that moment to do the thing it does sometimes where it doesn't ring, so I don't know someone called me until it beeps to tell me I have voice mail. I didn't feel like calling her cell, so I just emailed a couple of my rink buddies (one's a doctor, another's a nurse) to ask what they thought. Other than the headache, which is barely noticeable, I don't have any symptoms of concussion so I don't think I need to worry, but you never know. How annoying. I'm hoping I'm fine because I don't want to have to limit my jostle-y exercising--I have a dance competition in like two weeks so not being able to practice beforehand would sort of suck (esp. since I was also limiting such exercise until recently because of a medical procedure I had done, so that left me with little time to practice as well).

ETA: my doctor rink buddy emailed me back and thinks from what I described that I'm fine...she suggested ibuprofen and said it's possible I have a bit of whiplash (which wouldn't surprise me--my neck sort of snapped when I hit the ice), so I'm a happy camper, lol.
Those were my symptoms when I knocked my chin-headache and the whiplash (my family doc said no concussion, but the neurologist in the ER 3 days later said, yes it was a concussion). There are varying levels of brain trauma and you (and I) had a low level of it. People assume that no blackout=no concussion but that's wrong with today's re-evaluation of the new criteria of symptoms & diagnosis.

Just be careful and if you have any different symptoms, go get an MRI and stay off your feet. The new mindset is to take it easy for about 1-2 weeks (yes, extreme but better safe than sorry) with nothing that jostles the brain or brain stem, which are now swollen a bit because of the trauma. This website has a rather extensive checklist of items you should be mindful of (don't be looking for things, but be mindful of them-I was forgetful and emotional 2 months after my concussion)
http://www.headinjury.com/checktbi.htm
You will have to be cautious of a repeat incident and perhaps think about wearing head protection and perhaps a mouthguard (I did) until you are more healed. Better safe than sorry!

tazsk8s
10-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Not that I had any delusions about getting rid of the wrist guards anytime soon, but just in case I did...

I started trying to put a little more speed and height into my jumps this week. This was both good and bad. Good because, well, speed and height are good. Bad because it changed my timing on both the loop and the lutz and I took one specatcular crash on each. Landed both times on my newly-healed right arm/hand/wrist. Fortunately the wrist guards do seem pretty good at dissipating the force of an "unexpected landing" and I barely felt a thing. While I'm not sure either fall would have been enough to re-break the wrist, I am certain it would not have felt good to have fallen on it without protection, either.

So it looks like wrist guards are going to just be part of the "package" for me for awhile.

Skate@Delaware
10-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Had a nice visit with my chiropractor this morning, I'm back to every 2 weeks again....stupid muscle spasms! It's the daggone book bag! That thing weighs about 25 lbs with all my books & supplies-can't wait till next semester when i start carrying ALL my nursing books back & forth! No wonder all the nursing students have a rolling cart (do I need a 2nd Zuca bag?)

RachelSk8er
10-28-2009, 12:06 PM
For all the people with sciatica issues, had sicatica issues back in early-mid August. I tried yoga/stretching/rest/ice/heat, but the one thing that really helped make it go away was swimming. I think doing a lot of butterfly and kickboard work really worked out the pinching. Even if you're not a good swimmer, get in a pool, grab a kickboard, and kick around.

My ankle (see practice thread) is so freakin painful. I've had sprains before, even surgery, and NOTHING this bad. The swelling is so bad, it's gone down a little in my actual ankle but spread to my toes, and the bruising has spread up my leg and to my toes. I'm starting to feel occasional sharp pains in the area where they think a bone is cracked. And the Ibuprofen I've been taking to help get the swelling down is giving me a stomach ache and I don't feel like eating much (well, I did just scarf down a little candy....). Going around on crutches from home to work to school every day has me exhausted. I'm miserable :cry:. I'm pretty much out of PTO for the year and don't want to lose a week of pay by staying home on short term disability (60% of our salary doesn't kick in until you've been out for a week), so I'm suffering through work. At least our IT department found me my own desktop printer and helped re-situate my computer so I can prop my leg up, and people at work have been helpful.

But my boyfriend just found out his friend's 3 yr old son has stage IV Wilms (kidney cancer but it's spread to his lung). So I really have no right to be whining and complaining. I just don't get it. Obviously it's been growing for a while, but until the other day, there was no indication that he was sick. How does a little kid go from being a perfectly happy, seemingly healthy kid playing one minute to having a serious form of cancer the next? He starts chemo in a few days.

dance2sk8
10-28-2009, 01:24 PM
For all the people with sciatica issues, had sicatica issues back in early-mid August. I tried yoga/stretching/rest/ice/heat, but the one thing that really helped make it go away was swimming. I think doing a lot of butterfly and kickboard work really worked out the pinching. Even if you're not a good swimmer, get in a pool, grab a kickboard, and kick around.

My ankle (see practice thread) is so freakin painful. I've had sprains before, even surgery, and NOTHING this bad. The swelling is so bad, it's gone down a little in my actual ankle but spread to my toes, and the bruising has spread up my leg and to my toes. I'm starting to feel occasional sharp pains in the area where they think a bone is cracked. And the Ibuprofen I've been taking to help get the swelling down is giving me a stomach ache and I don't feel like eating much (well, I did just scarf down a little candy....). Going around on crutches from home to work to school every day has me exhausted. I'm miserable :cry:. I'm pretty much out of PTO for the year and don't want to lose a week of pay by staying home on short term disability (60% of our salary doesn't kick in until you've been out for a week), so I'm suffering through work. At least our IT department found me my own desktop printer and helped re-situate my computer so I can prop my leg up, and people at work have been helpful.

But my boyfriend just found out his friend's 3 yr old son has stage IV Wilms (kidney cancer but it's spread to his lung). So I really have no right to be whining and complaining. I just don't get it. Obviously it's been growing for a while, but until the other day, there was no indication that he was sick. How does a little kid go from being a perfectly happy, seemingly healthy kid playing one minute to having a serious form of cancer the next? He starts chemo in a few days.

You poor thing!!! I need to shut up on my end and my whining and crying. Sounds like a Class 3 sprain, or possible fracture. :( :( You'll be in my prayers.
Mine was a low grade Class 2. Finally walking again.

Cancer is an amazing thing, not in a good way. The past 2 years, people I know who are healthy or similarly happy, are diagnosed. Its weird how cancer can conceal any sickness until later stages. That little one will be in my prayers.

xgskate
10-28-2009, 08:09 PM
a backspin attempt this morning. Left heel caught right leg. Almost screamed. Small bump on the leg and bled. Asked for the largest bandaid at the rink.

dance2sk8
10-29-2009, 08:06 AM
a backspin attempt this morning. Left heel caught right leg. Almost screamed. Small bump on the leg and bled. Asked for the largest bandaid at the rink.

Darn those back spins!!! :giveup:

liz_on_ice
10-29-2009, 08:20 AM

backspins totally bite 8O

herniated
10-29-2009, 10:39 AM
got into a rear end collision on Monday. My rear end was hit...yes. Mild whiplash so no skating for me this week.

I planned on it today..the alarm went off and I realized I'm an a## for thinking about going to the rink so I went back to bed.

Cancer does suck..I was reading the previous posts..and it's true - one minute you are walking around feeling fine, then you get the diagnosis and the treatment just about kills the person. My sister has uterine cancer and holy *#@#...terrible ordeal. So...compared to that my accident is nothing more than an annoyance and a stiff neck.

kander
11-01-2009, 08:25 PM
got into a rear end collision on Monday. My rear end was hit...yes. Mild whiplash so no skating for me this week.

I planned on it today..the alarm went off and I realized I'm an a## for thinking about going to the rink so I went back to bed.

Cancer does suck..I was reading the previous posts..and it's true - one minute you are walking around feeling fine, then you get the diagnosis and the treatment just about kills the person. My sister has uterine cancer and holy *#@#...terrible ordeal. So...compared to that my accident is nothing more than an annoyance and a stiff neck.

Cancer is a b***h. My condolences to your sister. I hope you're feeling better soon.

kander
11-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Not an injury but I think I'm coming down with the flu. I went skating anyways today and remarkably had a good skate. Just goes to prove that there is little correlation between how you feel and how you skate. My left knee also seems to be giving me warning signals.

ibreakhearts66
11-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Not really an injury, but something medical that will have me out of commission. I'm finally having ablation for my heart arrhythmia this friday, so I'm off the ice this week (can't take my medication) and then for a few weeks after. I'm sure my body will be very sore on Saturday as I have to lie still for hours after the procedure, but the few weeks off should do my general aches and pains some good.

For a little comic relief, my feet, ankles, knees and right hip are very unhappy from halloween. I went to a huge electronic dance festival (last year there were 65,000 people there, I think there may have been more this year) and had someone step on on break my shoe! I don't even want to KNOW what kind of things I stepped on that night...

RachelSk8er
11-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Ankle is healing more quickly than the doctors thought. I was allowed to start weaning off of crutches starting today, but actually was able to start putting weight on it on Friday without any pain as long as the boot is on (went out for a bit Friday without the crutches, since other than the short walk from the car to the party I went to, I was mostly sitting). I spent all day off of it Sat/Sun with it iced/elevated while I studied and that seemed to help. Today I have been crutch-free! (Even trekked to the mall over my lunch hour to get my eyebrows threaded, they've needed it badly for a few weeks now but I couldn't get around last week). The swelling in my foot and toes is gone, still some swelling at the actual ankle joint. The bruising (which spread wildly all over my entire foot, toes and up my shin) is slowly going away.

My doctors appt is 2 weeks from today, fingers crossed that things keep going as they are, that this was just a 2nd degree sprain that swelled/bruised and looked MUCH worse than it really was, and they'll clear me to at least start doing a little rehab skating when I go back to the doctor. (i.e. I get out the old scribe and spend a few weeks doing figures and stroking.)

AgnesNitt
11-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Ankle is healing more quickly than the doctors thought. I was allowed to start weaning off of crutches starting today, but actually was able to start putting weight on it on Friday without any pain as long as the boot is on (went out for a bit Friday without the crutches, since other than the short walk from the car to the party I went to, I was mostly sitting). I spent all day off of it Sat/Sun with it iced/elevated while I studied and that seemed to help. Today I have been crutch-free! (Even trekked to the mall over my lunch hour to get my eyebrows threaded, they've needed it badly for a few weeks now but I couldn't get around last week).

After just recovering from a broken ankle, I recommend carrying crutches or a cane when you're at crowded venues. I found that people could not see my cast as there were people crowded around me, would try to push past me, only to see me topple over. I carried crutches after that as people would give me room and not bump into me.

RachelSk8er
11-02-2009, 07:12 PM
After just recovering from a broken ankle, I recommend carrying crutches or a cane when you're at crowded venues. I found that people could not see my cast as there were people crowded around me, would try to push past me, only to see me topple over. I carried crutches after that as people would give me room and not bump into me.

Good idea. So far the only crowded place I've been with the crutches was the award ceremony at the law school. At that point I still wasn't walking without them yet. It was actually kind of convenient, they serve food after and people swarm the food, but everyone let me right through to the front. :)

Now that I don't need both (or one even), I actually carry and sort of use at least one around work when I'm outside of my department to make the "hey I'm injured" even more obvious, and I've been rolling my pant leg up so the whole boot shows. I don't like attracting attention and sympathy, especially since I injured myself playing a sport with a high risk of injury, and this stuff happens. But the last thing I need (aside from being bumped) is some petty person at work seeing that I have a tennis shoe on my good foot (clearly against our dressier-side-of-business-casual to business dress code that is strictly enforced but the only shoe that seems to work with this boot) and running to the head of my dept or our HR department to tattle on me. Even though my VP and HR are well aware of my situation and told me to do what I need to do until I'm better, they don't need to be bothered with nonsense. We have too many petty people at work (mostly older women in admin or other not-so-high positions jealous of the ambitious 20-something women who are higher than they are on the career ladder) with too much time on their hands who like to cause unnecessary drama because they think that trying to make the people they are jealous of look bad makes them look good. (Can you tell I hate working in an office full of women?)

I have some schmoozefest here with our law school alumni Fri night, I'll probably take at least one of them, probably both. It'll be crowded and I'll be on my feet a lot, so it may get sore and it'll just make standing around schmoozing easier if I'm not wincing in pain.

dance2sk8
11-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Went to physical therapy department at DSC to get approval to skate yesterday. Passed with flying colors. Put on my right boot and whao was it tight! Not used to it. Got on the ice for about 45 minutes and stroked around, cross overs (not fully flexed as I usually would be due to the ankle), cross rolls, and basic spins (on the good foot). Didn't do too badly. The boot irritated my ankle after a while. No swelling present other than very minimal on the bones, inner/outer ankle.

Today, physical therapy appointment for 2 hrs. Will go again next week. Will be skating this week! Yay!!! Missed the ice.

liz_on_ice
11-04-2009, 12:47 PM
2 weeks post-op visit with my surgeon today. Cast is off, stitches are out, I've started PT and range of motion exercises :-)

Dr says I can skate now with the plastic brace on 8O I think I'll give it a few more days.

I'm clear to drive so might go this weekend, but I'm backed up on chores I haven't been able to do, so might not get to go till wednesday anyway.

dbny
11-05-2009, 12:38 AM
2 weeks post-op visit with my surgeon today. Cast is off, stitches are out, I've started PT and range of motion exercises :-)

Dr says I can skate now with the plastic brace on 8O I think I'll give it a few more days.

I'm clear to drive so might go this weekend, but I'm backed up on chores I haven't been able to do, so might not get to go till wednesday anyway.

Wow, that was fast!

I'm down and out with a nasty sinus infection. Went in to give just one lesson today and tried to skate some. Discovered it's hard to skate when you can't breath through your nose. Then discovered that I was totalled by the effort of going out at all. Dunno what I'm going to do tomorrow night when I have two lessons lined up. Maybe stay in bed all day, take 8 hr Tylenol around noon, wear a hat with toe warmers under it on my forehead.

liz_on_ice
11-05-2009, 05:48 AM
Wow, that was fast!

Bogglingly, you can clearly see in the xray the bones are still broken - but I'm supposed to do all these wrist motion exercises already. Part of the benefit of the plate is to be able to start moving the joint much sooner. Otherwise I'd have been casted much longer and have longer PT.

Given the choice, I'd still skip the surgery if I hadn't needed it to heal right, :roll: but it is nice now. I'm about to head into a hot shower and wash my hair with two hands.

dance2sk8
11-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Skated for the second time this week yesterday. The boot did NOT irritate my ankle at all!!! I was so excited. Got on the ice, was able to flex comfortably for cross overs, and even was able to do power pulls, get into spins, etc! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uber excited to be back!!! No jumping yet. I probably could do a waltz jump or salchow easily, but no lutz or flip as those are toe pick jumps. Will attempt jumps once my physical therapist oks it.

Kat12
11-05-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm down and out with a nasty sinus infection. Went in to give just one lesson today and tried to skate some. Discovered it's hard to skate when you can't breath through your nose.

Wait! Go back and tell me if spinning makes you EXTRA dizzy now that your sinuses are screwed up! I always wondered. :) (I personally am a mouth breather--yeah, I know--so skating would be no problem for me when stuffed up, but I bet the dizziness would be a problem!) I feel for you. I used to get at least one sinus infection a year (and yes, one of my first symptoms was always feeling dizzy), then it started tapering off around college and I haven't had one for years, thankfully...

I am off to the dentist next week to have him look again at those teeth on the one side that are still hurting (to chew on) after he did the fillings a couple months ago. One especially is, in the past couple of weeks, much more temperature-sensitive and I'm afraid the filling may've come out or something. Ugh, my teeth. I'd say "damn my teeth!" but I think it'd be like Igor in Young Frankenstein with his eyes: "too late!"

(Unfortunately I scheduled for next Wed. since I'm off work for the holiday and wouldn't have to take any sick time, and naturally the ONLY time they had available was 11:00. Did I mention I'd also planned to skate a lovely uncrowded weekday session for once? And that said session starts at 11:30? And that no rink around has a session that doesn't start at 11:00 or 11:30? (I could make a freestyle at my club but I'm way too cheap to shell out for that). I mean, come on. My ENTIRE day is free, and the ONE time I want to do something else, is the only time they have. And I knew it was going to happen--right before I called them, I thought, "they'll probably try to schedule me when I want to skate." I asked the dentist's office to call me if someone else on that day canceled, so everyone send "I don't wanna go to the dentist!" vibes to the other people scheduled that day! I really wanna skate. Sure, I could just make an app't for another day, but I'm so tired of taking sick time from work, esp. for my teeth)

Skate@Delaware
11-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Kat, congestion does make one dizzy, some people experience it more than others. Any extra fluid in that whole inner ear complex messes me up terribly-even walking puts me in "tilt" mode :lol:

That being said, I'm laid out with a virus of some sort. It hit hard yesterday and put me in bed. I had a fever but then it left and now I'm just exhausted and slightly congested (my ears feel echo-y). Those are my symptoms. I did get my flu shot so, eh. Keeping up with the fluids, and since I'm not nauseated, I can nibble (tho I have no appetite).

So, no skating tonight.....maybe I used it all up on Tuesday when I went twice? 8O

dbny
11-06-2009, 11:47 AM
I was actually hoping to go for my lesson today. Got up and showered, and realized I wasn't up to it. Don't know what I was thinking! I have to work the weekend.

Wait! Go back and tell me if spinning makes you EXTRA dizzy now that your sinuses are screwed up! I always wondered. :) (I personally am a mouth breather--yeah, I know--so skating would be no problem for me when stuffed up, but I bet the dizziness would be a problem!) I feel for you. I used to get at least one sinus infection a year (and yes, one of my first symptoms was always feeling dizzy), then it started tapering off around college and I haven't had one for years, thankfully...

I didn't try to spin, but I don't feel dizzy at all. I did so some spins on the floor this morning, and no problem. Last year I took Levaquin for my sinus infection, and that made me dizzy, and also did not work! I can't imagine getting one of these infections year after year, and if it happens to me again, I will run to the doctor immediately, not stall like I did this time. I know what was going on way before I felt any pressure or pain.

(((((Skate@Delaware))))) Last year my ears were stopped up for a few months, but it didn't affect my equilibrium at all. I used to have blocked eustachian tubes and fluid in my middle ear frequently, but never got dizzy from it. Lucky, I guess.

dance2sk8
11-06-2009, 01:31 PM
When I had a nasty cold in February, spinning was just plain weird!!! I felt really off and none of my spins remained centered. Knock on wood I stay healthy for the next couple of months.

Skate@Delaware
11-06-2009, 01:58 PM
My spins have been cr*p lately, and having blocked ears/congestion makes them worse (if that's even possible)!!! It doesn't seem to affect my backspin tho-weird. My ears feel echo-y right now. I'm congested in my head. And tired that's about it.

I've been in bed all day except for a short jaunt to the shower (nice wide ledge there for sitting), the steam felt really nice but I kept it short. Been working on my microbiology notes and got a lot done. Getting ready to call my mom for her daily status report (otherwise she will keep calling-sheesh!). Then my son will be home from school and it will be busy.

Kat12
11-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I can't imagine getting one of these infections year after year,

Yeah....when I was a kid it got to the point that my mom would just call the doctor and say "yeah, she's got another one" and they'd call in a prescription for me...

ibreakhearts66
11-07-2009, 01:46 AM
Yeah....when I was a kid it got to the point that my mom would just call the doctor and say "yeah, she's got another one" and they'd call in a prescription for me...

Sinus infections are also a regular occurrence for me. If I get a cold, chances are I'm going to get a sinus infection as well.

I had my cardiac ablation today! The surgeon apparently told my mom it was one of the most complicated ones he has done. I wasn't totally coherrent any of the time he spoke to me, but he said that there was either a very large band of irregular tissue or that there were multiple pathways right next to each other, because every area he stimulated in the affected part of my heart triggered the arrhythmia. The pain when I came out of anesthesia was WAYYYYY worse than I'd expected (and I guess worse than normal). I just remember crying and moaning and asking where my mom was. Morphine and dilaudid took the edge off, but really only took it down to about a 5 on the pain scale (ha, typed "skate" first...gonna blame that on the pain meds and the skating withdrawal)

They had to go in through both sides of my groin and my neck so I'm a very unhappy camper right now. Talking, laughing and moving my neck all hurt, as does sitting up and moving my legs certain ways. I was given oxycodone for the pain and I just hope it helps enough so that I can sleep. The bandaging on my neck is incredibly annoying and if the pain doesn't keep me up, the bandaging will. :giveup:

Off the ice for another 10 days to 2 weeks, most likely. But the doctor said that after they burned the tissue, they waited 45 minutes and weren't able to trigger the arrhythmia, so I'm crossing my fingers that it worked and will KEEP working.

I can't wait to get back on the ice, and, more importantly, be able to skate without worrying if I'm going to end up in the ER once again.

Mrs Redboots
11-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Got up yesterday morning to skate and found I had an upset digestive system, so had to go back to bed instead. Slept all morning and felt better, but not pleased. Fine again today.

liz_on_ice
11-07-2009, 01:55 PM
I can't wait to get back on the ice, and, more importantly, be able to skate without worrying if I'm going to end up in the ER once again.

Wow, that is quite an ordeal. I will now stop whining about my wrist and wish you fast healing and quick return to ice.

dbny
11-07-2009, 02:05 PM
(((((ibreakhearts66))))) My hat's off to you! You are quite a trooper to get through that and still come in here and post. Feel better soon, and I have my fingers crossed that this solved all your arrhythmia problems.

dbny
11-09-2009, 10:59 PM
I worked yesterday from 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM. I wore a fleece headband really low so the hand warmer pad I inserted in it would cover the part of my forehead affected by the sinus infection. In the morning, the gunk just flowed like a dam had broken and I thought that was the end of the infection. By the time I got home, though, I was shredded, and woke up feeling pressure and pain again. Now I've got a fever again, and have started a new antibiotic. Of course, I just found an article in the NYT saying that studies show antibiotics are basically ineffective against sinus infections :frus:. Anyone have a good home remedy? I've already tried a few I found online.

Skittl1321
11-10-2009, 10:23 AM
I pulled my hamstring *AGAIN*. This is the fourth or fifth time in the past few months.

This will probably trigger the sciatica again, since I'm limping when I walk.

It's the darn lunges in the synchro program. it doesn't hurt to do them, but I go home and voila- can't walk normally.