View Full Version : Do you feel like you have Fans at the Rink when you skate?

FSWer
10-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Say,I don't think this has ever bee talked about here. I know non of us are actully famous skaters.But even so,does anyone here when they do compete or go to the Rink,in some way at least feel like they have Fans of some sort? On/off Ice.

stacyf419
10-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Say,I don't think this has ever bee talked about here. I know non of us are actully famous skaters.But even so,does anyone here when they do compete or go to the Rink,in some way at least feel like they have Fans of some sort? On/off Ice.

I had a freakish stalker when I was in synchro. He came up to speak to me at 3 different competitions/appearances, saying "Remember me from Easterns?" :roll:

Skittl1321
10-16-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm not sure "fans" is the right word- but when we have competitions and shows there are definetly people who cheer for me and want me to do well, but those are really just my friends.

Isk8NYC
10-16-2009, 08:43 AM
I don't know if you'd call them fans...there are a few kids who always look for me to demonstrate or teach them something when I'm on a public session.

After I stopped skating regularly, I used to feel like a rock star once or twice a year. Our church and the girls' school hosted annual skating parties. While all the other parents were hanging on the wall wearing rentals, I was spinning and jumping, lol.

AgnesNitt
10-16-2009, 08:58 AM
When I was learning to skate (pre-Alpha) adult women who weren't as fat as I am would come up to me and say something like "you're my inspiration."
The downer was one woman said, "I see you skating and think 'If she can do it, I can do it.'"

O....kay.....Thanks for the compliment.

Isk8NYC
10-16-2009, 09:34 AM
That's what we call a BACKHANDED compliment, lol. I'm sure she didn't mean it that way.

BatikatII
10-16-2009, 05:55 PM
In a recent competition someone threw a teddy on the ice after our couples free dance. I have no idea who threw it (I know none of the people I was with did) so like to believe it was someone who was impressed with the dance!:lol:

Skate@Delaware
10-16-2009, 09:49 PM
In a recent competition someone threw a teddy on the ice after our couples free dance. I have no idea who threw it (I know none of the people I was with did) so like to believe it was someone who was impressed with the dance!:lol:
Um, was it a Teddy as in bear or a Teddy as in negligee???? 8O (I'm really curious now-I'm not sure which type of Teddy you mean).

kander
10-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Every now and then somebody will throw a compliment my way. It's great for the ego and a good way to start a conversation. I think people tend to see me out there because I'm so tall and I'm doing tricks. It's uncool for them to see me seeing them see me. That's teenager logic

Clarice
10-17-2009, 07:20 AM
We have an old man at our club who loves to come watch us all practice. He skated his whole life, and had a long time dance partner until she passed away. He doesn't skate any more, but did last year on his 90th birthday! He especially likes to watch me and my dance partner these days - even though we're relative beginners, he loves to see someone else finally doing dance at our rink, and likes to remember his time with his partner as he watches us. He always has some helpful words of advice or encouragement for us. We all consider him our Number One Fan!

kayskate
10-17-2009, 09:47 AM
I am a coach, so yes. When I warm up before lessons, I am usually on the ice alone and the students and parents gather to watch. It is really sweet of them to be so supportive. They all know me and enjoy watching "teacher" skate.

When I used to jog a lot ppl would cheer especially when they saw me run by again an hour later.

Kay

Bunny Hop
10-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Um, was it a Teddy as in bear or a Teddy as in negligee???? 8O (I'm really curious now-I'm not sure which type of Teddy you mean).8OWhat type of skating competitions do you go to? :lol:

Seriously though, I can tell you that Batikat meant a teddy bear. It had its paws covering its eyes, which we were joking was because of the upside down lift she and partner have in their programme!

Clarice
10-17-2009, 11:06 AM
8OWhat type of skating competitions do you go to? :lol:

Some interesting things get thrown on the ice at US Adult Nationals!

jazzpants
10-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Some interesting things get thrown on the ice at US Adult Nationals!
Paging rlichtefeld (http://www.skatingforums.com/member.php?u=6098)... :twisted: :P :lol:

I don't have "fans"...I have "friends!!!" :D

Mel On Ice
10-17-2009, 04:17 PM
there's a gentleman of Scottish descent who has been to the rink in the past and I taught his grandson in LTS. He INSISTS that I was with the Ice Capades and I gently correct him every time I see him. This is completely ineffective. I was in a crowded downtown store 2 weekends ago, when he shouted his hello and yet again said I the skater from the Ice Capades. I got a few eyebrow raises, and a few of those up-and-down body scans from people undoubtedly thinking "boy, she really let herself go..."

Mrs Redboots
10-18-2009, 01:38 PM
We got one too, and nobody could have been impressed with our free dance.... now your lift is Truly Impressive, and you should have heard me and - other people - going "Well, I wouldn't do that in a million years!"

londonicechamp
10-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Hi

When I ice skate, I seem to often have teenage kids come up to me, and asked me to show them moves. Last week, a teenage girl asked her to teach her backwards skating. I showed it to her, but then she did not get the idea, and so she gave up lol. :roll:

londonicechamp

katz in boots
10-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Yeah, sometimes I do feel like I have fans. Mostly other adult skaters though
because I often skate in public sessions, there are regulars who think I'm pretty good.

There are plenty of parents who bring their kids but don't get on the ice themselves who compliment me, saying they wish they could do what I do. And of course the "are you a professional?" question, and little kids saying shyly "you're really good". Best though, was once there were some better skaters on the ice, however this lady watching complimented me. Embarrassed, I pointed to the better skaters, however she said: "Oh I wasn't watching them, I was watching you."

I think my favourite moment was in a freestyle session. I came flying down the ice (relatively fast for an adult skater) to do a flip. I saw another adult skater pause to watch me, and the look on her face was naked envy. That felt good. Yeah.

BatikatII
10-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Um, was it a Teddy as in bear or a Teddy as in negligee???? 8O (I'm really curious now-I'm not sure which type of Teddy you mean).

Woah! Teddy as in bear :lol: Don't you call them that? Think I'd be a bit worried if people started throwing nightwear at me!

BatikatII
10-19-2009, 03:15 PM
We got one too, and nobody could have been impressed with our free dance.... now your lift is Truly Impressive, and you should have heard me and - other people - going "Well, I wouldn't do that in a million years!"

Thanks Mrs R. but believe it or not that is not the most scary part of the dance! That was the rocker but now is the drag turn ahead of partner and straight up in to pair spin. That is truly terrifying!:lol:

FSWer
10-19-2009, 07:04 PM

Say,I'd love to see a pic. of you and your Partnr Dancing.

FSWer
10-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Hi

When I ice skate, I seem to often have teenage kids come up to me, and asked me to show them moves. Last week, a teenage girl asked her to teach her backwards skating. I showed it to her, but then she did not get the idea, and so she gave up lol. :roll:

londonicechamp

Say,how DO you skate backwards and put the speed on it? I've tried it,and I just step backwards.

SkatesinUSA
10-20-2009, 06:40 AM
I'm not sure. There are a lot of parents who sit and watch and I have no idea what they think of me but they seem critical of others in general so... what's a person to think? But at comps it seems as though I have a few fans, lol.

liz_on_ice
10-20-2009, 08:15 AM
On monday, one of the skaters told me her friend had said I was her favorite person to watch because I looked like I was having so much fun. :D

hanca
10-20-2009, 03:16 PM
When I was learning to skate (pre-Alpha) adult women who weren't as fat as I am would come up to me and say something like "you're my inspiration."
The downer was one woman said, "I see you skating and think 'If she can do it, I can do it.'"

O....kay.....Thanks for the compliment.

That woman may not have been implying your weight! Your weight was probably on your mind and that's why you took it like this, but are you sure that she meant "If that FAT woman can doo it so can I" ? She could have meant "If that adult skater was able to learn it, there is a chance for the rest of us adult skaters".

I am telling my coach often that I want to learn something and then add "If ...(my friend who is similar age but more advanced) can do it, I am sure so can I". That's not implying that she would be fat (she is much slimmer than I am), nor that she is a worse skater (she is better), but what am actually saying is "it must be possible for adult skater to learn it if she can do it" or "it is doable".

Bunny Hop
10-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Say,I'd love to see a pic. of you and your Partnr Dancing.Posting this on behalf of Batikat and partner. This is a training photo of their lift (posted with permission).

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o294/PhysicistOnIce/IMG_3873.jpg

Skittl1321
10-20-2009, 03:36 PM
WOW! That is fantastic!

(And I have those pants. I got all my track pants in boys sizes, since ladies are all too long, and girls cut weird, so I match a coach at my rink probably 3 out of 4 times I wear them, since we each both have the same 3 colors)

Skittl1321
10-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Woah! Teddy as in bear :lol: Don't you call them that? Think I'd be a bit worried if people started throwing nightwear at me!

Well now everyone knows what to bring to your next competition!

antmanb
10-22-2009, 06:12 AM
lol

About five years ago when i was more than two stone lighter I shared a passing resemblance to Robbie Williams (ex Take That) and what with him having done a pop video of a skating routine to one of his songs (i think it was "she's the one") i got mobbed by young girls on public sessions when i skated. It started out being amusing and then after a while just hindered my practice time!

Bit of Trivia - If memory serves me right, Pam O'Connor and Jonathan O'Dougherty did the actual skating in the video

Ant

blackmanskating
10-28-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm not sure if I would call them fans. But I was told by a few adults that watching me skate is an inspiration to them. 8O I was shocked and a little confused because I don't see my skating as anything special. I'm just struggling to keep up with the kids. LOL Now I'm hoping to get them to take a learn to skate class so I won't be the only adult out there skating!

BlackManSkating

jazzpants
10-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Well now everyone knows what to bring to your next competition!How about a Teddy (bear) in a Teddy? :P :lol: :twisted:

londonicechamp
10-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi

Inspired by FSWer, I am just wondering if you do have fans in the rink when you skate. I do always stop my practice when I see some young kids practising their program. There is this one young kid, about 7 or so, she is one of the most joyful skater in our rink, every time after she falls, she still ends up smiling. :D

londonicechamp

Petlover
10-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Yes, I have to skate in the mornings, and the kids there in the mornings are so helpful and supportive, putting my program music on, and the one 12 year old acts as my junior coach when Coach isn't there. Coach actually likes that and encourages her, which is great and makes it more fun.

The adults in the morning are very supportive of each other.

FSWer
10-29-2009, 08:13 PM
LOL,I am flattered. So I wil deffenitely reply to THIS thread. When I go..LOL I don't think you'd say there really fans at Public Skate. But most skaters and people do help me out. One actually keeps an eye on me.