View Full Version : Forward progressive chasse sequence

Roseline
10-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Can anyone "talk" (type?!!) me through the continuous forward progressive chasse sequence from USFS basic skills Freeskate 2? I'm not getting it in lessons :frus: and I think I would benefit from reading it and walking through it before I go back to class.

Also: the waltz threes on the same level -- that is just an outside three turn followed by an outside edge on the opposite foot (held in "landing position"), correct?

Thank you for your help!

phoenix
10-15-2009, 10:58 AM
IME, some coaches actually teach the waltz 3 incorrectly, but according to the instructor's manual description, they should be done like the 3 turns in this dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZLvIhfbmGk&feature=related

Note that you should be on a back inside edge after the turn, with free leg extended. You won't really be in landing position because you won't turn your shoulders that far around--your body will stay opened to the circle.

However, some coaches do teach it the way you said, switching feet after the turn, so do it however your instructor wants! I once judged at a basic skills competition & marked everyone down for wrong waltz 3's until I finally figured out that was how they had been taught!

I don't have the book w/ me, so I can't help you w/ the other step pattern; sorry!

Clarice
10-16-2009, 03:39 AM
I'm looking at the Basic Skills Instructors Manual for Free Skate 2.

It says that the waltz threes should be done with an extended free leg throughout the turn, and that the entrance edge and exit edge of the three turn should be held three times the skater's height. I would have you switch feet into a landing position, too, but this is pretty clear that they expect you to hold the exit edge before the switch. These directions don't describe "continuous" three turns, which is how I like to do them, and you have to switch feet in order to be able to step forward into the next three turn.

As far as the continuous Progressive Chasse sequence goes, they say this: "There are four steps to complete a sequence. 1. RFO, LFI, RFO, LFI - clockwise. 2. LFO, RFI, LFO, RFI - counter clockwise. When moving clockwise in a forward direction with a RFO stroke, the left foot is brought forward and placed beside the right, progressing ahead of the right foot onto a LFI edge. A right forward outside stroke completes the Progressive and become the first step of the Chasse. The Chasse continues with the step onto the left foot as the right foot lifts slightly off the ice and vertically alongside the left. Now stroke onto the RFO edge to begin the second sequence. Do the Progressive Chasse sequences to complete a full circle. Repeat in a counter clockwise manner."

It's sort of like "right - cross - right - lift".

Roseline
10-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Thank you so much, you guys! I appreciate the assistance -- this will help so much! :)

Isk8NYC
10-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Waltz Threes:
The pattern is designed to be done on a circle so that the students are in a controlled space. (Basic Skills is a group LTS lesson program) If I have the use of both circles, I have them do this in a figure eight pattern, alternating turns on each circle.

NB: The BI three turn is in Freeskate 3, so the Waltz Threes are not "continuous turns." There is a change of foot followed by a mohawk.

The Waltz Threes have a Waltz beat that you're supposed to count off so that your turns have equal entry and exit edges. (1-2-3-turn-2-3-step-2-3-swing-2-3) I have the students count it off out loud because they'll need that skill in the future.

The students have already mastered the "toe-to-heel" check, so the extended free leg is introduced on this pattern.
IME, many coaches don't teach the extended free leg, but it is part of the Basic Skills test standard for Freeskate 2. To me, this is an opportunity to unclench the students from the toe-to-heel turns they've been doing since Basic 4 and introduce the concept of rhythm in their skating. I also have them bring the freeleg back at the 'swing' and hold the BO landing edge for a full six counts. It's a nice intro to ice dancing, plus it looks beautiful in a Basic Skills Freeskate Program when the music is "waltzy."

Because the Waltz Eight pattern is in Freeskate 3, many coaches use the Waltz Three pattern as an introduction to that MITF element, which is why they have the skaters "tuck" the freeleg instead. The patterns are similar, the rhythm is the same, but the freeleg is different between the two patterns. Many coaches don't realize that unless they've taken ice dance. FWIW, I teach Waltz Threes as a dance, Waltz Eights as a figure.

Isk8NYC
10-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Continuous forward Progressive Chasse' Sequence:

This is a pattern that requires a LOT of practice to get the steps and the checks right. Remember that it's supposed to stay on a curve.

One of the BEST things you can master is keeping your feet close together. Think of it as a military marching drill: "Your right, your left, your right..." lol.

The steps are all done on EDGES, not flats. Position your free foot in the air before you step down onto a flat by accident. You want to place the correct edge on the ice from the very beginning of each step.

Last tip: practice a good PUSH off of each stroke. It's very easy: bring your feet close together (the free foot is positioned in the air) and quickly turn the skating foot to an inside edge on the ball of the foot and stroke to the free foot. Most people don't take the push - they just wide-step ahead and lose both balance and momentum. If you're clunking, you're doing it wrong - it's a very graceful pattern if you point your toes and push properly.

The clockwise pattern is:

Stroke onto a RFO edge (long)
Check shoulders to the inside of the circle
Bring the left foot forward and place the LFI edge onto the ice (short)
Stroke onto a RFO edge again (long)
Bring the left foot NEXT to the skating foot and place the LFI edge onto the ice (short)
Stroke onto a RFO edge again (long)
Pattern repeats to complete the circle
Your goal is to have each pattern cover a half-circle

Roseline
10-30-2009, 07:23 AM
I was busy when I read your replies, Isk8NYC, but I printed them out to read them later. Just wanted to thank you. Your advice really helped!