View Full Version : Halloween (Fall) Classic Canceled

stacyf419
10-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Just got the notice. I sent a strongly worded email back to the sender that perhaps next year they would include the committee who used to organize it, as it used to be one of the biggest adult events around. What a shame!

Black Sheep
10-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Did they say why?

Weren't they planning to include kids in this competition this year? Maybe too many adults were mad about that....

MusicSkateFan
10-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Whoa....I would imagine refunds are taking place?

Makes me even more reluctant to enter any comps this year. Would like to hear the reasoning behind the cancellation. Lack of entries? Conflicts with upcoming standard track sectionals?

Hmmm

Sorry for those who entered:cry::cry::cry:

flo
10-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Eeeeeek! It was such a fun and well run adult event.

stacyf419
10-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Yes, to quote canceled "due to the limited registration in each category". They'll be sending checks back to everyone shortly, so be on the lookout for the envelope.

It's a bummer. I was so impressed last year by the whole event - maybe the old committee can step back in for next year?

Terri C
10-14-2009, 05:26 AM
I think the idea of them merging the Halloween Classic with their Dance Classic was the nail in the coffin for this one.

Stormy
10-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Oh, that's a shame. I went last year and it was a good competition. Hopefully they can get it back to what it was next year.

scarecrow
10-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Well, we hope to reorganize and have the competition again. Its difficult when there is no representing adult skater on the board. We tried to get someone in at the last election, but so many bylaws were broken in regards to the election process. Honestly, they just want their friends on the board instead of people with experience.

Mel On Ice
10-14-2009, 06:17 PM
poor economy part of it too? Lots of comps this year are suffering.

scarecrow
10-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Well, last year gas was near $4.00 a gallon and yet we had a great turnout. In fact, we had only slightly more entrants than the previous year, but we had more starts. Granted, adult skaters are being pickier about where they put their money, but if the event is worth it, I think people will come. We spent a lot on advance advertising last year and I am not sure they employed the same efforts in this regard. The name change also was very confusing, and people may have missing the announcement. The event was scheduled in the middle of Regionals this year, several weeks earlier than last year. MIF events were removed and dance events taken out and put with the Dance classic. So, it wasn't just the economy.

sexyskates
10-15-2009, 07:38 AM
It's because it was no longer an all adult competition, and required missing two days of work. The competition was perfect the way it was before - shouldn't mess with a good thing.