View Full Version : Pre-Bronze Test Elements Order

Skate@Delaware
10-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Since I'm testing soon, my coach wants me to start practicing the elements as though I'm skating the test. Is there any particular order that they are skated in? I went to the USFS website and saw a list but wasn't sure if that was the order:

forward perimeter stroking (and is this done in each direction?)
basic edges (FO, FI, BO, BI)
forward & backward crossovers (I understand that this is done 2x around the circles, mohawk then one goes backwards)
waltz 8
3-turn pattern

I'm tentatively scheduled for December 5th at my home rink, if my coach will be in town, otherwise it will be another date at another rink.

Skittl1321
10-12-2009, 11:46 AM
That is the correct order.

Here is what the judges form looks like, and the order of the elements:
http://usfsa.org/content/TJ_Adult%20Pre%20BronzeMITF%20trial.pdf

The forward stroking is done both ways around the rink.

I think the crossover pattern you are thinking of is the changed one- that hasn't taken effect yet. The current one does not have a mohawk (unless you use that as your entry into the move), and I think is 2 full 8s, and then you exit the pattern, and start again in the other direction. The diagram is no longer on the USFS site, but should be in the rulebook.

dbny
10-12-2009, 11:48 AM
That is the order in which they are done, and they do have to go in order.

You do the F perimeter stroking in both directions, once around each. Until Sept, 2010, you do not skate directly into the BXO's from the FXO's. Instead, the FXO's and BXO's are each skated with intro steps, though I don't think you would get dinged for connecting them - it's harder. The edge patterns are skated across a line, then back for the next pattern, etc.

Skittl1321
10-12-2009, 11:53 AM
though I don't think you would get dinged for connecting them - it's harder.

It's a heck of a lot harder. Since you don't get to pick the direction of the mohawk, I don't think I'd be able to pass the test anymore, and I'm working on Silver moves...

I DO think you'd get dinged on the current test for not doing 2 full figure 8s per direction, because the revised pattern only uses 1 figure 8 per direction, making it signifigantly shorter than the current test.

That is the order in which they are done, and they do have to go in order.
My PB test the judge actually called us over and told us what to do next (there were 2 skaters on the ice) and it was in that order, but my bronze test I started the test by saying the elements, to make sure I had the order right, and I did, but the head judge told me it didn't matter and they would score the move I did regardless of the order.

Kim to the Max
10-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Just a trick that I use. My coach generally teaches me the moves in the order they are on the test, and we generally always do them in that order and don't often pick and choose (unless she says let's skip the power circles today because I know you can do them!).

When I practice them, I always do them in order first and then go back to work on specific elements so that I reinforce the order.

Bill_S
10-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Heh. I found out the hard way that the order of test elements is important. I didn't know about the order, so when I started testing, I began the elements randomly.

Immediately, the test judges called me over to tell me that they wanted them in order (panic!). I told them I didn't know the order, so they had me skate over to them after each element so they could tell me what to do next.

It's clear that they wanted to help me, but at the time, I felt like a scolded schoolboy! :oops:

I later learned that the judges score sheet lists elements in the order to be skated.

Laura H
10-12-2009, 01:35 PM
My PB test the judge actually called us over and told us what to do next (there were 2 skaters on the ice) and it was in that order

This is exactly how my PB MIF test was conducted. We started out by introducing ourselves to our judges and then they told us exactly what they wanted next. I had seen the test form before so I did know the order, but if I forgotten it, it would not have been any big deal.

What WAS a big deal was how quiet the rink was - it was scary!! I fell on the warmup - fortunately before the judges came in, and during the test itself, skated two sets of back inside edges instead of one set back outside and one set back inside. Even sadder, I didn't realize I had done that until my coach told me!! (They did let me reskate -or, I should say- SKATE - the back outside edges - which were actually my stronger set of back edges, so that was a piece of cake!). The judges were actually VERY nice, and I passed OK, but something about doing PB moves in a completely silent rink was very unsettling to me.

Good luck with your testing - hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Skittl1321
10-12-2009, 01:42 PM
and during the test itself, skated two sets of back inside edges instead of one set back outside and one set back inside. Even sadder, I didn't realize I had done that until my coach told me!! (They did let me reskate -or, I should say- SKATE - the back outside edges - which were actually my stronger set of back edges, so that was a piece of cake!).

PB must be test of stupid mistakes. I set a foot down on BO edges (I don't think she saw, she didn't mark it) something I've never done before AND I skated only 3 circles of backward crossovers (4 circles makes 2 figure 8s) and didn't realize it until my coach CALLED me over between moves to tell me I had messed up. Which then of course made me SO nervous for the rest of the test. (Still don't know why he did that.) I got a reskate, though my coach told me it was because the judges need to see the complete move and I didn't compelete it, but I would likely get a retry due to the mistake. I didn't - I got a pass, but left in tears anyway. You won't be surprised to find that I did not take this coach to my next test.

I have my PB test up on youtube, and it really astonishes me how much I've grown as a skater since then. It's so painful to watch. But I think it's good for people searching to see what a PB test looks like, since the videos on USFS are skated by people who are so much better than the level requires.

stacyf419
10-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Skittl - I used your videos to help me prepare for my test! So thanks again...:bow:

I passed, but the thing I remember most is that the rink was so unbearably cold (it was Ice Vault in Wayne) that my hands became difficult to feel or move. I didn't know we could wear gloves for testing, so about halfway through the 3-turn pattern, I said to myself "I don't think I can finish." Then I said "Keep going, you jerk" and I finished and passed. Whew! I wore gloves for my Bronze test and passed in comfort!

PinkLaces
10-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Just a trick that I use. My coach generally teaches me the moves in the order they are on the test, and we generally always do them in that order and don't often pick and choose (unless she says let's skip the power circles today because I know you can do them!).

When I practice them, I always do them in order first and then go back to work on specific elements so that I reinforce the order.

This is what I do too. I learned that from my coach. She said that it would help me if I got nervous, because it would be more automatic.

I skated my Pre-Bronze MIF and FS tests one right after the other. It was me and a younger girl doing her Pre-Pre Moves/FS. She almost ran into me while I was doing my waltz 8 pattern, but I didn't have to reskate it. The judge didn't tell me the order of the elements. I just went through them and then looked at her after I was done. She motioned for me to do the Free Skate test.

Joan
10-12-2009, 03:52 PM
You will not be penalized if you skate to the judges after each move to ask what the next one is. If you are unsure of the order during the test, you should definitely ask the judges.

liz_on_ice
10-12-2009, 05:22 PM

Same here. For Bronze they gave us a gift - the power-3s are move#3 and the 5-step mohawk is #5 :D

dbny
10-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I DO think you'd get dinged on the current test for not doing 2 full figure 8s per direction

Most definitely, but I understood the OP to be describing two full figure 8's of each F and B XO's:

forward & backward crossovers (I understand that this is done 2x around the circles, mohawk then one goes backwards)

Skate@Delaware
10-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks, everyone! I am so glad I asked! I have 8 weeks before I test (unless there is another session before that (((GULP))) then I will have less time to memorize the order).

Yes, I do understand that there are 2 times around for the crossovers.

My coach did give me great advice for the edges, she said, "there is NO reason you have to start them on the blue line DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF the JUDGE, so I would suggest you be first in line, and pick a line furthest away."

bwah, ha ha!!!!!! not that my edges are bad or anything, but why place everything OUT THERE?

If I'm testing at my home rink, I do believe that there is another girl testing pre-pre so I can shove her out of the way to be first in line :twisted:......hahaha! just kidding. It should be ok, and my rink is warm. I'm not terribly comfy wearing a dress, but it will be warm (egads unless we are somewhere else then I'll freeze).

ps-I have been practicing the mohawk between the fwd/back crossovers...but that's in group class not in private lesson and only because my group coach prefers it. I need to work on "finishing" my moves, instead of just stopping sloppily....yeah.

TreSk8sAZ
10-12-2009, 11:30 PM
My coach did give me great advice for the edges, she said, "there is NO reason you have to start them on the blue line DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF the JUDGE, so I would suggest you be first in line, and pick a line furthest away."

bwah, ha ha!!!!!! not that my edges are bad or anything, but why place everything OUT THERE?

Just be prepared that the judges may very well tell you which line to do your edges on, especially if the test is double panelled. So though you may have planned on starting on one line, you may start right in front of the judges or at a completely different line. I know in my area, the judges do tell you where to do your edges, or where to start your moves in general. When double or multi-panelled, usually some judge has a preference over where they look, so that determination will rule the day.

Isk8NYC
10-13-2009, 07:11 AM
The area you use for your Waltz-8 might be assigned by the referee/judge as well. It's good to practice it on in the different possible spots on the ice. (On a line, near the hockey circles, across the middle lengthwise)

Skate@Delaware
10-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Just be prepared that the judges may very well tell you which line to do your edges on, especially if the test is double panelled. So though you may have planned on starting on one line, you may start right in front of the judges or at a completely different line. I know in my area, the judges do tell you where to do your edges, or where to start your moves in general. When double or multi-panelled, usually some judge has a preference over where they look, so that determination will rule the day.
Thanks! Knowing this will keep me from freaking out!
The area you use for your Waltz-8 might be assigned by the referee/judge as well. It's good to practice it on in the different possible spots on the ice. (On a line, near the hockey circles, across the middle lengthwise)
My coach has me do them ALL over, even in the end-zone. The only place not used (so far) has been the snack bar, bathrooms, etc LOL!

Skittl1321
10-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Just be prepared for anything, but know at the PB level the judges want nothing but to see you succeed.

My test was double paneled and we started each move from opposite sides, which had me starting the 3-turns on the foot my coach did not prefer to go first. He had me skate to the judge and ask if I could just follow the other guy. (I really didn't care one way or another). The judge said that was absolutely fine and we did that.

They also assigned us lines and spaces for the waltz-8, but when they did it, it was with a "unless you have somewhere else you prefer to do it, and that's fine".

So even if your judges don't give you the option, if you really are more comfortable somewhere else, your an adult and can speak up. The worst they can do is tell you no.

My coach has me do them ALL over, even in the end-zone. The only place not used (so far) has been the snack bar, bathrooms, etc LOL!

Smart coach! I get in bad habits of practicing things in certain areas (usually ones that stay out of others patterns), so I'm beginning to have a "backspin spot". I need to get rid of that quick.

dbny
10-13-2009, 12:20 PM
we started each move from opposite sides, which had me starting the 3-turns on the foot my coach did not prefer to go first.

That's odd, because the rulebook says the move begins on the R foot. Now I wonder if there are judges who will ask for that.

Skittl1321
10-13-2009, 01:18 PM
That's odd, because the rulebook says the move begins on the R foot. Now I wonder if there are judges who will ask for that.

Yep, the judge pointed me to the other side of the rink and told me to start with my L. It really wouldn't make a difference to me. In theory, you should be able to start either foot in either side. But the rulebook does say R first.

Skate@Delaware
10-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Hmmm, that is interesting about that one! We usually start on the R one, mostly because of the "traffic pattern" but sometimes we start on the L side if it's empty... we either go with traffic and the 3-turns are on the left, or go against traffic and have fun with it.

I'm getting excited about taking it, since I'm years overdue on it!!!

aussieskater
10-13-2009, 05:26 PM

(hee hee) - had this vision that all the coaches at your rink had given their students this exact same advice, resulting in a rush of candidates all pushing to be first to choose the line furthest away... :D:D

Good luck on the test anyway! (Also to dbny for tonight! But I'll post that in the other thread.)