View Full Version : Advice for new adult competitor

sk8tegirl06
10-09-2009, 11:46 AM
I plan to start competing on the adult track. But I'm having a little trouble figuring out where exactly I fit in. I have passed preliminary MIF and prepreliminary FS. I can successfully do waltz, salchow, toe loop, half flip, and half lutz. I'm still working on getting a consistent loop. I can do scratch spin and usually get a decent sit spin. The back scratch is still light years away at this point.

The best I can figure is I would be adult bronze. But I don't know what the official crossover point would be. I think I am my coach's only skater competing in the adult levels, so we are both a little clueless at the moment. I found the judges' score sheet for adult pre-bronze and bronze, so I know what is required for the test. But I guess my question is what is usually seen at competitions at each of these levels?

Skittl1321
10-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I think you could skate up to Bronze, but pre-pre is generally considered to be the same as pre-bronze, though I think the pre-pre test is more difficult, because you can't pick your own jumps. I think either level would be good to "test the waters". And then you could decide from there. Your probably a high PB and a low bronze.

In Bronze you would need another full jump (loop or flip usually) to past the test, and most bronze I've seen compete have those and usually lutz. A back scratch is also required on the bronze test, and common in competition.

Debbie S
10-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Test-wise and element-wise, you sound more Pre-Bronze than Bronze. I would recommend Pre-Bronze to start and get some experience, and then you can skate up/test up to Bronze when you are ready. Before taking Bronze FS, you will need to pass either Pre-Juv MIF or Bronze MIF (either is a progression from Prelim). Or you could test Prelim FS w/o taking any more MIF tests, but you need a flip and a loop for Prelim, whereas for Bronze, you just need a loop in addition to what you already have.

In Pre-Bronze FS comp, usually the hardest jump you see is a loop (although I remember a few flips here and there) and in Bronze, most competitors have up to a lutz, and you see lots of flip-loop and lutz-loop combos. Most have a camel spin, usually done in combo with a sit spin, maybe also an upright. You also see a lot of change-foot spins. And speed and flow are much stronger in Bronze.

blackmanskating
10-30-2009, 12:13 PM
I agree with Debbie S! Element wise it sounds like Pre-Bronze is your best bet. Continue to work on your backspin during the transition and I'm pretty sure you'll have it by the time you need to test Bronze FS.

BlackManSkating

sk8tegirl06
10-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks everybody! I did in fact end up registering for prebronze. My program is finished, now if only I could end on time with the music....only about 3 weeks left.

herniated
10-30-2009, 06:59 PM
3 weeks is a long time..you can do it, you can do it!!!! Of course it depends on how much skating you plan to do in 3 wks?

sk8tegirl06
10-30-2009, 09:32 PM
I generally skate about 3 hours and 10 minutes a week. 2 sessions are 1 hour and 15 minutes (which I may or may not get to use the entire time--have to run straight to class) and 1 session which is 40 minutes long. (half of this is a lesson and half is practice) As it gets closer I made an extra session or 2.