View Full Version : FS vocal music rule confusion

phoenix
10-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Can anyone point me to the page # in the rule book (US) that spells out the ins & outs of the new vocal music allowance? I found music I love for a bronze FS test, but it's vocals, so I want to be 1000% sure it's okay before we go crazy with choreography. I looked all through the new rulebook, and danged if I can find it!!

Thanks in advance.

Isk8NYC
10-07-2009, 09:07 PM
It's really clear for testing:

TR 28.04 For free skate tests vocal music with lyrics is permitted.

Online Rulebook w/o diagrams: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/Tests%20Book%20without%20diagrams.pdf - page 14.
In the printed Rulebook, it's the same section (TR 28.04) on page 25.

CAVEAT:
If you want to use the same music for a competition, there are different rules.

3502 For singles, pairs and dance, music is chosen by the competitor except for compulsory dances;
A. For singles and pairs short program and free skate, vocal music with lyrics is not permitted, except as follows:
1. for all short and free skate programs up to and including intermediate level and for all events using the 6.0 system of judging,
vocal music with lyrics is permitted.
B. For compulsory dances, the music shall conform to the type and tempo specified in the description of the dance. See the glossary for
dance diagrams and descriptions;
C. For the original dance and free dance, see event specific rules for dance.

Online Rules of Sport: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/Rules%20of%20Sport.pdf - page 47.
In the printed Rulebook, it's the same section (3500) on page 213.

We had a discussion about the competition side earlier this year.
We agreed that adult events were allowed to use vocals as long as the event wasn't judged under IJS.

doubletoe
10-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Yep, based on the rules that have been published, as long as your event is judged under 6.0 (and for Adult Bronze and Silver, it will be), you can have lyrics in your music.