View Full Version : Interpretive costume/dress

sk8tmum
10-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I need a source for a ladies-sized costume/dress for an interpretive program. The theme is WWII/1940s, and the idea is to have her look as if she's from the era. Dance dress would be preferred, because my sewing skills do NOT make the likelihood of my being able to attach knickers to a non-dance dress at all possible :lol: and we are having to accomodate various field and other skating moves (i.e. a tight skirt is a no-go).

So, suggestions for sources would be great. Canadian dealers would be best, but, I've cross-border ordered more than once for such items in the past.

CaraSkates
10-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I wore this:http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v155/224/15/769794804/n769794804_198928_8829.jpg

for a Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy/Andrews Sisters showcase program. I made the skirt (Kwik Sew has a pattern), bought a polo shirt and dyed it with RIT and sewed/glued on all the sequins. My uncle donated the hat from his army store.
You could probably find a costume like this (Curtain Call Costumes has a similar one that came out after mine) or piece it together. Goodwill might have the garrison cap. If you have a friend who sews, this skirt is very easy to whip up.

RachelSk8er
10-06-2009, 10:25 PM
You could also just wear shorts (khaki or olive green). May be a little hard to get this time of year if you don't already have a pair that works, but you can ask around or try Goodwill.

Try Halloween stores, it's the right time of year and they always have military-type costumes (or maybe a 1940s-style women's costume if you want to go the female "my sweetheart is away at war" look). That may give you something to work with.

CanadianAdult
10-06-2009, 11:06 PM
I found this on a dance site (http://www.swingdanceshop.com/natalie.html) and it's right on for the era but it's not fitted for skating. A local dressmaker could make a lycra version and fit in a leotard quite easily for less than the USD$180 on that website. (there's a vintage vogue pattern that's almost identical, hint)

sk8tmum
10-07-2009, 09:34 AM
They're thinking more of exactly what you mentioned here: the sweetheart away at war - but British more than North American, due to the theme of the program. I've been told to practice my "rolls" for the front of the hair and get the big heated rollers for the back!

Hadn't thought of Halloween costumes, hmmm! Sounds like something worth investigating ...