View Full Version : Monday morning injury report

kander
10-05-2009, 01:18 AM
In honor of the NFL, I though we could start our own injury report every monday. I'll kick 'er off. Nothing new to report this week, but I'm still nursing an injured left elbow, righ wrist, and left groin muscle and my ever present right shoulder. Gawd I love this sport! Despite all that I'm in pretty good shape going in to this week and should be good stay in the game :)

katz in boots
10-05-2009, 03:39 AM
sciatic nerve problems. Started with some wonky camel spins weekend before this, but what finished me off was an off-ice fall from stepping on a pavement utilities plate in the rain. Agony!

Can't camel or sit, and jumps are limited, but should be good to go next weekend.

Skate@Delaware
10-05-2009, 07:33 AM
I had a migraine (Thursday through Sunday) and severe tinnitus (ringing in the ear). The migraine cleared up mid-morning on Sunday but the ringing in the ear was horrible! I finally realized that I hadn't kept up with my iron supplements (I'm anemic) and that's one of the symptoms. Duh! That would also explain the HUGE bruises!

So, I was walking across my bedroom, and I wasn't looking where I was going and I tripped over my feet and crashed into the bed with my hip-now I have a beautiful HUGE bruise! I told hubby I got it falling on a toe-loop and he started freaking out (I felt bad so I told him the truth-LOL!). Funny thing-the lights were on and all that. :giveup: I do better on ice.

Kim to the Max
10-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Saturday...on a LFI Rocker (junior moves) I was focusing on keeping my feet close, and my right foot went up and my feet went out from under me and all of my weight fell on my left butt cheek...so I am now sporting a sore bottom :frus: and a friend has my designated ice pack, so I wasn't able to ice it!

Mrs Redboots
10-05-2009, 07:44 AM
On Friday I dropped a tin of beans on to the little toe of my left foot. It hurt! Took some arnica and next time I thought about it I realised it no longer hurt, so I forgot all about it until I was drying my feet after a shower yesterday and realised I had a Large and Impressively Dark bruise on that toe! Which doesn't hurt.

I also have a streaming cold and have been feverish the past couple of days, but feel better today.

Morgail
10-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Just made an appointment to see the dr about my right ankle. Pain and popping is getting worse. I couldn't do anything bigger than a toe loop in my lesson last week without feeling as if my ankle would collapse.

Am also sporting a nice bruise/cut from where I bladed my left shin coming up out of a back sit spin.

jazzpants
10-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Seeing the chiro today to have him do his usually back crackin' stuff for my sciatica!!! MUCH needed since my hip and legs "don't feel right..." :x

Am finally going shopping this week for some MUCH, MUCH needed athletic shoes for my off ice training too!!! VERY worn out! 8O

Hubby is sick with the flu too! I'm trying to stay out of his hair today so I don't catch anything... 8O

Isk8NYC
10-05-2009, 12:33 PM
I worked out while the girls were at Synchro on Saturday. I am so sore, especially in the hips. Now my heel spurs hurt. Ice ice, baby, ice. (And Advil.)

We should really ask Advil to sponsor adult skating.

Bill_S
10-05-2009, 01:18 PM
I feel fine!

But I didn't get to skate this weekend either.

RachelSk8er
10-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Surprisingly, nothing hurts today! Not from figure skating, at least.

I did have an unfortunate run-in with a large binder clip that was on some legal documents at work this morning. It popped up, hit me in the mouth, and left a small cut under my lip and made my already chapped lips bleed. Ugh. It HURT!

NickiT
10-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Not skating related for a change, but fell down the stairs carrying a tray of paint (was decorating) and badly sprained my ankle. After half an hour of trying not to throw up and pass out due to the pain a trip to A&E was called for, especially since this was the ankle I badly broke some years ago while skating which has a metal plate in it. Fortunately no broken bones but a bad sprain so sent home on crutches. Most interesting thing is that the x-ray showed up two old fractures that I never knew I had, plus of course the one I did know about!

dbny
10-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Hugs to all of you with injuries, skating related or otherwise!

My hips had finally cleared up, but are now starting to hurt again, of course, since I'm skating again :frus:.

stacyf419
10-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm sick - does that count?:cry:

mintypoppet
10-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Chronic tendonitis in left hamstring, tight ITB and piriformis in right leg, waiting for surgery to sort out torn labrums in both hips... oh, and my right foot has started making cracking noises when I step on it (well, not on it, but when I use it).

Needless to say, I'm not skating much at the moment - and I seem to be spending far too much time at the sport clinic!

Kat12
10-06-2009, 06:36 AM
I did have an unfortunate run-in with a large binder clip that was on some legal documents at work this morning. It popped up, hit me in the mouth, and left a small cut under my lip and made my already chapped lips bleed. Ugh. It HURT!

Pardon me for laughing. It IS sorta funny. Sounds like something that would happen to me. Just don't let it get infected...you don't want to be explaining THAT one on the worker's comp claim! :)

fell down the stairs carrying a tray of paint (was decorating)

NO! I hope your ankle feels better, but I'm also in horror wondering: did the paint get everywhere???

I'm fine this week. I'm a klutz as usual, of course, but no major injuries. Unfortunately I tend to not watch where I'm going--yesterday I was coming out of the file room at work and didn't line myself up with the door well and slammed my shoulder into the doorjamb. I'm one of those people who can be walking down the sidewalk and get hit in the face with a low-hanging branch. I do not know how I manage to run into things that should be easily seen...I must get tunnel vision looking at something else. I really gotta work on my powers of observation. Last night I bashed my pinky toe on my old desktop computer (I'm really good and mashing my pinky toe on stuff. However, a couple days ago someone on another community was saying how once she tripped on her brother's wheelchair and--OMG this is gross so if you're squeamish stop reading--one of the spokes *cut off* her pinky toe. OMGOMG. So now I must try to be more careful!)

NickiT
10-06-2009, 06:38 AM
NO! I hope your ankle feels better, but I'm also in horror wondering: did the paint get everywhere???

Thanks! Yes there was a fair bit of paint to clear up off the carpet. Just my luck eh? Anyway hope you're not in too much pain with all your injuries!

Nicki

RachelSk8er
10-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Pardon me for laughing. It IS sorta funny. Sounds like something that would happen to me. Just don't let it get infected...you don't want to be explaining THAT one on the worker's comp claim! :)

Yeah that's the type of thing that is hilarious when it happens to other people. Especially people in the office who annoy me. Oh well!

Mrs Redboots
10-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Not skating related for a change, but fell down the stairs carrying a tray of paint (was decorating) and badly sprained my ankle. After half an hour of trying not to throw up and pass out due to the pain a trip to A&E was called for, especially since this was the ankle I badly broke some years ago while skating which has a metal plate in it. Fortunately no broken bones but a bad sprain so sent home on crutches. Most interesting thing is that the x-ray showed up two old fractures that I never knew I had, plus of course the one I did know about!

Oh no, Nicki. I forget, are you supposed to be doing Dumfries next week - in one way, I hope not, as nothing worse than having to withdraw because of illness or injury?

NickiT
10-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Oh no, Nicki. I forget, are you supposed to be doing Dumfries next week - in one way, I hope not, as nothing worse than having to withdraw because of illness or injury?

No, thankfully I'm not in for Dumfries, and luckily we decided against Oxford too last week because my Rhumba was so dire! (What do you expect in one lesson eh?).

Nicki

ibreakhearts66
10-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Currently nursing a very bruised ego from competition on Saturday...I'll post the painful details in the practice thread.

My left hip has flared up very badly. My last MRI of that hip showed a partially detached labral tear, and I'm afraid that it's somehow become fully detached, as my hip is kind of locked and won't "pop" like it usually does when it locks up like this.

The stitches in my right ankle from my ligament repair are also really bothering me for some strange reason. The doctor warned me when I first had the surgery that this might happen because I have such skinny ankles, but it seems weird for it to be flaring up 2.5 years later.

I'm also just generally sore. I've been having a mild form of chemo that past 3 weeks for a bleeding disorder, but haven't taken any time off of training. In fact, I've been skating more, preparing for the disaster of a competition that was Saturday and for regionals. But that's most aches and pains that I've learned to live with. Nothing like figure skating to make you feel ancient at 19!

Kat12
10-07-2009, 06:38 AM
^Oh, wow! You sound downright beat up! I hope you feel better soon.

londonicechamp
10-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi guys

Well, not really an injury this week, but a healing one, from about 12 days ago.

I fell and landed on my right elbow when I was standing still, practising my ISI freestyle 2 dance step sequence on ice 2 Fridays ago. :roll: Immediately I developed a small cut, and graze.

Now that it has finally healed, and is growing baby soft skin. :D

Wishing that during my skating lesson and practice tomorrow, I do not land on that bad elbow again.

londonicechamp

Morgail
10-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Hope everyone's injuries/illnesses improve sooner rather than later!

Doctor did x-rays and didn't see a stress fracture, but she wants me to follow up with the orthopedic surgeon to be sure. She thinks I've got tendonitis. That makes sense, since it comes and goes, and gets worse when I push it with skating.

I know I need to go to the ortho, but I feel like putting it off...at least until after the competition I signed up for in early November. I know he'll tell me to lay off skating, and I don't really want to do that right now.

ibreakhearts66
10-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Hope everyone's injuries/illnesses improve sooner rather than later!

Doctor did x-rays and didn't see a stress fracture, but she wants me to follow up with the orthopedic surgeon to be sure. She thinks I've got tendonitis. That makes sense, since it comes and goes, and gets worse when I push it with skating.

I know I need to go to the ortho, but I feel like putting it off...at least until after the competition I signed up for in early November. I know he'll tell me to lay off skating, and I don't really want to do that right now.

Maybe everyone will think this is a totally stupid idea, but what about this? Go to the ortho now to find out if it's "just" tendinitis or something more serious like ligament issues. If he tells you it's tendinitis or something else that is painful and needs to be rested for it to go away, but not harmful in the long term, just keep skating! I'm sure you wouldn't want to find out months from now that you had done actual damage to your ankle by continuing to skate.

kander
10-11-2009, 11:19 PM
It didn't happen on the ice, but I had a tooth pulled last week. Skating was quite an adventure while being buzzed from all the medications. Turns out you can still skate with a sore mouth. As long as I don't land on my face it should be OK

Kat12
10-12-2009, 08:49 AM
^Upside is that you won't feel the cold on that part of your face! :)

I had to have 6 fillings and a wisdom tooth extracted recently (well, I hadn't been to the dentist in two years [first the insurance i had through my job didn't have any in-network dentists, and then when I got my new job I just never got around to finding one in this neck of the woods] and I inherited bad teeth frm my dad [who had his first partial at 17 if that tells you anything]). So, uh, yeah (luckily I really like my new dentist and his staff, but I sure am tired of them now!).

After one set of them (3 fillings and extraction on the left, then a couple weeks later the other three fillings on the right), I had an itch on my chin and I could feel the itch, but I couldn't feel myself scratching it, so it just went on itching and itching...wanted to cry, lol.

Unfortunately I am still having a lot of trouble with the teeth that got filled (but not one ounce of pain or problems with the extraction, lol). On the left side, two of the teeth hurt to chew on, so I chew on the right exclusively. All of the teeth are very sensitive to cold or hot, so if i eat something really hot or really cold it really hurts. I dunno if it's because some of the cavities were so deep that the filling goes down close to the nerve, or what...

My mom and my partner are after me to go back to the dentist and get it all fixed, but I really don't want to take more time off work anytime soon (between my dentist stuff and another medical procedure I had around the same time, I have taken a lot of sick time--just a couple hours here and there, but still), nor can I really afford to pay for more dental work (my mom insists they should fix it for free, but I don't think it works that way!). Besides, I really really don't want to spend more time in a dentist's chair...I don't want to find out that he has to re-do the fillings or something. It's extremely boring spending an hour and a half at the dentist. Also mentally taxing waiting for it to hurt (my dentist is really good about immediately re-numbing any area that gets painful, but still). And I'm afraid I'll go in and find out that the temperature sensitivity means that my teeth are dying and will have to be pulled or something, and then I'll end up like my dad (I'm not sure he even has any of his original teeth anymore) and up to my eyeballs in debt.

Morgail
10-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Maybe everyone will think this is a totally stupid idea, but what about this? Go to the ortho now to find out if it's "just" tendinitis or something more serious like ligament issues. If he tells you it's tendinitis or something else that is painful and needs to be rested for it to go away, but not harmful in the long term, just keep skating! I'm sure you wouldn't want to find out months from now that you had done actual damage to your ankle by continuing to skate.

Yes, that would be the smart thing to do. :halo: I should go ahead and make an appointment. He books up quickly, anyway, so I may end up waiting a couple weeks to get in.

Skate@Delaware
10-12-2009, 11:18 AM
^Upside is that you won't feel the cold on that part of your face! :)

I had to have 6 fillings and a wisdom tooth extracted recently (well, I hadn't been to the dentist in two years [first the insurance i had through my job didn't have any in-network dentists, and then when I got my new job I just never got around to finding one in this neck of the woods] and I inherited bad teeth frm my dad [who had his first partial at 17 if that tells you anything]). So, uh, yeah (luckily I really like my new dentist and his staff, but I sure am tired of them now!).

After one set of them (3 fillings and extraction on the left, then a couple weeks later the other three fillings on the right), I had an itch on my chin and I could feel the itch, but I couldn't feel myself scratching it, so it just went on itching and itching...wanted to cry, lol.

Unfortunately I am still having a lot of trouble with the teeth that got filled (but not one ounce of pain or problems with the extraction, lol). On the left side, two of the teeth hurt to chew on, so I chew on the right exclusively. All of the teeth are very sensitive to cold or hot, so if i eat something really hot or really cold it really hurts. I dunno if it's because some of the cavities were so deep that the filling goes down close to the nerve, or what...

My mom and my partner are after me to go back to the dentist and get it all fixed, but I really don't want to take more time off work anytime soon (between my dentist stuff and another medical procedure I had around the same time, I have taken a lot of sick time--just a couple hours here and there, but still), nor can I really afford to pay for more dental work (my mom insists they should fix it for free, but I don't think it works that way!). Besides, I really really don't want to spend more time in a dentist's chair...I don't want to find out that he has to re-do the fillings or something. It's extremely boring spending an hour and a half at the dentist. Also mentally taxing waiting for it to hurt (my dentist is really good about immediately re-numbing any area that gets painful, but still). And I'm afraid I'll go in and find out that the temperature sensitivity means that my teeth are dying and will have to be pulled or something, and then I'll end up like my dad (I'm not sure he even has any of his original teeth anymore) and up to my eyeballs in debt.
It isn't all that unusual to have very sensitive (to hot/cold) after such extreme fillings like you have had. However, if you are noticing any other symptoms like pain or sensitivity to other things (pain when you bite down) or heat on or near the fillings, get back to the dentist. Pain after a filling should go away once the anesthesia and temporary swelling goes down, and since they just did the work, they should at least look at it for free.

Kat12
10-12-2009, 01:40 PM
They actually did the work over a month ago. I've just been dealing with it since then.

I've read that these are troubles people sometimes have after having the composite fillings. It sounds like some folks are in excruciating pain, even. But I still need to have him look at it...like I said, I just don't want to have to have the fillings re-done or something! But I'm not sure I should leave it until my regular 6-month checkup in February. However, when I went in for the second set of fillings, I told him the first ones were hurting and he didn't seem all that concerned about it. Just sort of looked in there and didn't really say anything about it.

liz_on_ice
10-14-2009, 03:50 PM
i so never wanted to post to this thread but wrist broken during morning lesson. :cry:

Kat12
10-14-2009, 05:10 PM
^OMG! That sucks! I suppose at least it was your wrist and not your ankle...does your doctor say you can still skate, or is it one of those "no way in case you fall" things?

I fell down at class last night. On the FLOOR, during the off-ice...coach had us jumping, and yeah. Geez. I can't even stay on my feet on dry land, and I'm supposed to skate?

liz_on_ice
10-14-2009, 06:59 PM
not sure how long, orthopedist say about three weeks for wrists but if i need surgery (find out tues) a bit longer

ibreakhearts66
10-14-2009, 10:53 PM
i so never wanted to post to this thread but wrist broken during morning lesson. :cry:

Oh no! Good look with the orthopedist!

I'm feeling pretty decent this week. Still having some joint soreness from the chemo and have generally sore muscles from skating so intensely this week, but no new injuries to report other than a badly banged up elbow and stiff neck from 2axel attempts :frus: Hip is still feeling locked up, but it's not driving me as crazy as it was last week.

^OMG! That sucks! I suppose at least it was your wrist and not your ankle...does your doctor say you can still skate, or is it one of those "no way in case you fall" things?

I fell down at class last night. On the FLOOR, during the off-ice...coach had us jumping, and yeah. Geez. I can't even stay on my feet on dry land, and I'm supposed to skate?

I can't speak for everyone, but a lot of the skaters I know are actually far clumsier off ice than on! I definitely include myself in that group, although I'm clumsy in stupid ways on the ice, like landing a jump or finishing a moves pattern, stepping forward and having my feet fly out from under me, lol.

kander
10-15-2009, 12:34 AM

:cry:

You can still skate wearing a wrist guard (I sometimes wear one depending on how messed up my wrist is)

liz_on_ice
10-15-2009, 06:07 AM

You can still skate wearing a wrist guard (I sometimes wear one depending on how messed up my wrist is)

right now i'm on pain meds and my husband would kill me if i skated before the dr signed off. think i'll talk to coach about coreography. maybe i can work on getting new program by visualizing :)

Isk8NYC
10-15-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm so sorry. I hope it doesn't require any surgery and that you heal quickly.

Skate@Delaware
10-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Wow, Liz, that really bites! Be careful and take care of it! You can do walk-thru's of choreo off-ice until you are "cleared for ice" at least that will help.

I got an "all-clear of any dysplasia or pre-cancer/cancerous cells" from GI doc....another year in remission!!!! So I bought a pretty bracelet and scarf from the hospital gift shop. I know October is breast cancer month, but don't forget about the other cancers...if you have weird symptoms get them checked ASAP!

I didn't skate last night cause I was too tired-my RBC's are still too low so I'm back on the iron pills (ewwww!). Felt good to just kick back and not rush around.

dbny
10-15-2009, 02:22 PM
not sure how long, orthopedist say about three weeks for wrists but if i need surgery (find out tues) a bit longer

I'm so sorry! Do you have a Colles fracture? That one often needs surgery because it often continues to displace. I got away without the surgery, but have permanant displacement, which really doesn't show and doesn't affect function at all.

Many doctors, my own included, discourage those. They feel that if you hit hard enough to break your wrist, the force will be transmitted upwards and you'll suffer a worse fracture near the elbow. There's no consensus among the orthopedic surgeons on this, so it's really suit yourself. I would feel a bit like Frankenstein wearing a wrist guard, so I don't.

kander
10-16-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm so sorry! Do you have a Colles fracture? That one often needs surgery because it often continues to displace. I got away without the surgery, but have permanant displacement, which really doesn't show and doesn't affect function at all.

Many doctors, my own included, discourage those. They feel that if you hit hard enough to break your wrist, the force will be transmitted upwards and you'll suffer a worse fracture near the elbow. There's no consensus among the orthopedic surgeons on this, so it's really suit yourself. I would feel a bit like Frankenstein wearing a wrist guard, so I don't.

Actually the force goes up my arm into my shoulder. If my shoulder is healthy it can absorb the impact that my wrist can't. If they're both messed up ....8O

kander
10-18-2009, 04:27 PM
I forgot to bring my bunga pads on friday and now I have an open wound on my right ankle :cry:. My left groin muscle is still bothering me, particularly when I do loops. That type of injury can last forever

Kat12
10-18-2009, 06:03 PM
I took a couple spills today...first two not bad (though one was sort of a funny spinny-bounce off the butt thing), but I did an awesome face-plant when I was yet again attempting a catch-foot spiral. Afterward I couldn't help splaying out on the ice a moment. It felt like a fantastic fall and it must've been because my rink buddies both came to see if I was okay. I had the wind knocked out of me a bit, I think my left elbow will be bruised and I clonked my left hipbone pretty good (it was a left-foot catch, if I remember correctly, so I hit that side harder). Otherwise I was fine.

Still have a lovely bruise from falling down during my off-ice last week...once again, the knee pads are staying on for off-ice next time! I wasn't the only casualty, though--one of my rink buddies, who's older than me, said afterward she stiffened up in the car on the way home and when she got home she practically fell out of her car! Ouch. She said she's glad she was in her garage rather than outside so the neighbors wouldn't think she was drunk!

kander
10-18-2009, 07:00 PM
I took a couple spills today... I did an awesome face-plant when I was yet again attempting a catch-foot spiral. Afterward I couldn't help splaying out on the ice a moment.

The spiral face-plant, or otherwise known as "The dentist special"

Kat12
10-18-2009, 07:57 PM
^Oh gosh, let's not even think about that. A. my teeth are bad enough as it is, and B. I just got a ton of work done (6 fillings, 1 wisdom tooth extraction) so let's not wreck them! LOL.

AgnesNitt
10-18-2009, 09:23 PM
The ligament I strained when I broke my ankle is much better--but I'm too chicken to do right crossovers for another week or so. I did do mohawks and three turns at the boards--not bad for first day back after six months off ice.
However, I'm a big chicken still no deep edges, and I armored up with all my elbow wrist and head protection. Bwak, buk, buk. Bwak, buk buk. *We need a chicken smiley and a faceplant smiley, just a suggestion*

BTW I thought of a good name for this thread. Anybody read cakewrecks.com? Well, why not call this thread Skatewrecks?