View Full Version : Discipline(s),easiest,scariest move for you to do on ice.

FSWer
10-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Ok fellow skaters!!! What I want to ask you today is to name your Discipline,and the easiest AND scariest move you've found yourself doing in that Discipline. If you do more the one Discipline..I want you to name for all. Ok skaters...GO!!!!

Kim to the Max
10-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Right now...the power pulls from junior moves scare the crud out of me!!

phoenix
10-03-2009, 10:49 PM
For me right now, the FO swing/mohawk in the Paso, when it's up to speed w/ the music. Totally freaks me out & I bail out at least 1/2 the time. :frus:

kander
10-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Even though I've done it forever, the axel still scares me. I waxeled a couple times last year and busted up my shoulder pretty bad.

jazzpants
10-04-2009, 02:07 AM
Right now... hmmmm? Just about everything scares me right now!!! :lol:

iSk8Dance
10-04-2009, 05:56 AM
The scariest one for me (male) is when my partner does a twizzle in the Argentine Tango. The RFI counter has never worried me.

It's often the simplest things which are scary - like the man's mohawk in the 14-step if your partner blocks you or pulls you round. Never worried me in any other dance.

I've never like doing the Paso Doble and 22-step close together in time. The steps are all in my head, but I can almost guarantee to do the 22-step in the middle of the Paso Doble after I've turned the mohawk - or vice versa. Now that really is scary for my partner!

Kat12
10-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Right now I'm freaked out by back 3-turns. :) No, seriously. I know I'm going to do a LOT of falling--backward OMG--before I get them resembling 3-turns, and a lot more before they're decent, and a lot more as I practice.

I'm also terrified by the prospect of having to do waltz jumps someday. Rotational jumps aren't so scary but waltz jumps freak me out...way too much potential to land on my butt rather than my feet...and I don't see how I could NOT break something that way.

londonicechamp
10-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Hi FSWer

Right now, what scares me the most is camel spin. Used to be scared of sit spins, but not that much now, that I am actually able to do them (according to my coach). :lol:

Backspins also scares the hell out of me, feels like I am going to fall if I am going to manage more than 1 rev. :roll:

londonicechamp

Skate@Delaware
10-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Back 3-turns! I have fallen a few times and that's a hard fall to get back up from; toe-loops....again, if I don't pick just right I fall and land on my side.

And going FASTER! Cause my coach wants MORE SPEED!8O

FSWer
10-04-2009, 12:30 PM
LOL,very good. But don't forget to also name your easiest move too. As well as the scariest.

celticprincess
10-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Okay so it's VERY hard for me to pick one easy thing and one hard thing...so I'm catagorizing things alittle. I do artistic/showcase freestyle.

MOVES: Easiest-back threes(they're soo much fun)
Scariest-Brackets w/ speed8O (I've definately fallen on them before)

JUMPS: Easiest-Waltz or maybe loop(they're my two most natural jumps)
Scariest-Axel...more so than my doubles...for some reason axel scares me entirely. I often chicken out on it.

SPINS: Easiest-Scratch(honestly 2 yrs ago that wouldn't have been the case)
Scariest-Camel(the whole idea of my face being that close to the ice while spinning...AHHHH)

Kat12
10-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I wasn't going to name easiest because...well...two-foot glide! LOL.

FSWer
10-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Say,what is a Bracket,Paso Doble,Power Pull,and Scratch move? That first one I'm VERY unfamilar with. Anyone else have their eaisest andscarriest move to tell?

phoenix
10-04-2009, 08:42 PM
The Paso Doble is a compulsory dance. So it's a series of steps that make up the whole pattern of the dance. Here is Davis & White doing a nice Paso Doble: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRWXfummY9E

A bracket is a one-footed turn. To do it you turn the opposite way of a 3 turn, and many people (me for one!) find them difficult to do. Here is our own vesperholly doing brackets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6VHqkpxUIg

Power pulls are done on one foot in a slalom (side to side) motion that makes you travel down the ice. (I couldn't find a good video)

Scratch refers to a scratch spin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdQCCjQNg8Q&feature=related

Skate@Delaware
10-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Sorry, my easiest move is a toss-up between the 2-foot spin (I love doing them) or 3-turns.

dbny
10-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Ice Dance!

Easiest/Most Fun: Cross rolls, both back and forward

Scariest: Back progressives, forward outside mohawks

ibreakhearts66
10-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Freestyle :)

Easiest: Probably 2sal, sit spin, camel spin, 2loop and 2toe, for the most part. I also quite like double 3s, forward, backwards, outside, inside, they've always been my favorites on moves tests.

Scariest: In terms of jumps, 1axel probably still takes the cake. I'm of course fully capable of doing them, but it's still the jumps that I freak out on the most and pop the most (like at competition this weekend :frus:). The FO swing rockers in the Novice rocker choctaws still kind of freak me out at speed.

dance2sk8
10-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Discipline:: Freestyler!!!! :P:lol::D

Favorite Moves/Jumps (adding that part in...teehee):

Cross rolls - forward and backwards
Counters
TWIZZLES!!!! Probably my favorite one
Backward cross overs - I know this is fairly simple once you get it down, but to do this during a program, LOVE IT!
3 turns
Spiral sequences including variations such as back catch.

Jumps:

LOOP JUMP - so far my absolute favorite
Salchow Jump
Waltz Jump

Spins

Scratch Spin
Sit Spin

RachelSk8er
10-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Scariest:

Freestyle: Axels. My coach is also trying to correct my toe loop technique because it's really bad and we need to start working on doubles, and some of the adjustments he has made have made this stupid jump scarry.

Dance: the choctaw in the Kilian, and I tense up a bit on the choctaw in the Quick because I once took at BAD fall on it and smacked my head on the ice. The outside mohawk and inside-3 restart on the Silver Tango, too (just on the solo, partnering I'm fine). I took a few spills leaning too far back on my heel, hit the boards a bunch of times coming out of the inside 3...it's easy for me now but I still tense up every time I get through the end pattern and hit this point in the dance.

Moves: Junior power pull/quick rockers, although I'm getting over that. And brackets scare the crap out of me, I never learned them properly because when I took intermediate, the pattern was the bracket-3-bracket (currently on novice), I never did the current intermediate pattern that teaches you to do them correctly. Although now I have a bracket in my footwork and one going into a lutz in my program, so I'm getting over it. Hardest thing for me to do (although not scarry) are the choctaws in junior moves b/c I don't have turnout in my hips.

Synchro: Back lunge intersections always scared the living crap out of me, people tense their arms up and spots close up when they go into it. A girl on a junior team get her brachial artery sliced on that move on practice ice at '04nationals. If it weren't for the fact that there was an adult team at right there waiting to get on the ice after them and one of the skaters was a doctor and knew what to do, the girl probably would have died.

The scariest one for me (male) is when my partner does a twizzle in the Argentine Tango. The RFI counter has never worried me.

OOh that has to be awful for the guy, that's a twizzle that's not worked on too much (other than in that dance) and if you don't place it just right and have good control, SMACK!

Easiest:

Freestyle: Flips, loops, sit spins, scratch spins

Moves: Anything junior and below other than choctaws, junior power pull-quick rockers, and the rocker choctaws in my "bad" direction off of novice

Dance: I've come to like the Rocker Foxtrot. It's one of those dances I can really power through yet stay relaxed and enjoy somewhat. The Blues is the same way. And obviously the rest of the silver-below dances (except I hate the American and the European and the Willow puts me to sleep).

Synchro: I loved doing triangle/box intersections because you don't go through them terribly fast and even if you're gong for the highest level of turns through them, you can still use the tuns to steer you around the people you're going through. Also love wheels, because there is no footwork to worry about and they're pretty easy if you're on a good team.

Skate@Delaware
10-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Oh, how could I have forgotten (maybe cause I've tried?)

the most SCARIEST MOVE?

BUNNYHOPS!!!!!

liz_on_ice
10-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Discipline - freestyle

Easiest/most fun - waltz jump, I love big flying ones, in series.

Scariest - BI 3 turns. BO I've got almost to a science, but the insides I scrape and cheat and only do really really slow because I'm still afraid to commit to them.

RachelSk8er
10-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Right now...the power pulls from junior moves scare the crud out of me!!

I've discovered recently that these get much less scarry if you really rotate the shoulders on the set and get the head looking down ice in the direction you're gong, get a deeep knee bend, and at the same time you have to really focus on keeping your hips forward (facing the direction you're coming from). Easier said than done, of course. :giveup:

fsk8r
10-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Discipline - freestyle

Easiest/most fun - waltz jump, I love big flying ones, in series.

Scariest - BI 3 turns. BO I've got almost to a science, but the insides I scrape and cheat and only do really really slow because I'm still afraid to commit to them.

It's not the BI 3 turns which scare me but the BI double 3s. I can do them, but my weight isn't quite in the right place all the time, so I've had one too many falls for my confidence to remain intact.

I did work out that BI brackets are easier than BI 3s as you're turning into the circle with those and not out of it with the 3 turn.