View Full Version : Apples or Oranges practice 10/2 - 10/11

liz_on_ice
10-02-2009, 07:58 AM
We are so overdue for a new thread, I expanded to include the following week!

Crisp autumn apples, or that other fruit we aren't supposed to compare apples to :lol:

Apples - moves lesson, coach liked my "landing position" move

Oranges - back inside crossovers, still under construction. :frus: Spent most of the lesson on it, One more lesson before the test. I will be working that one carefully from my notes. Even if I incorporate all the corrections, it is getting tight to get that fully automatic by the 7th 8O

londonicechamp
10-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Hi liz_on_ice

My lesson was yesterday, and since you started a new thread, I will put my progress here too.

Apples- coach said that my jumps are getting bigger and higher, though if I sometimes hesitate, the jumps are not that high.

Coach taught me some exercises to strengthen both my legs such as inside 3 turns on both legs, and also 3 forward lemons (swizzles) and 4 saloms, which really helped.

My sit spins are not too bad, said the coach, just needs to get lower on my butt, and be not afraid of falling on the ice. When I was doing my sit spin(s) during lesson, a woman (mother) came up to my coach, asked her about availability of having lessons with her. She must be impressed with me, I guess. :lol:

The second time that coach said that I did a good job during my lesson, twice in a week. :D

Oranges- still working on backspins. The entry position is now correct, but still cannot get pass more than 1 revolution. Coach said that with a lot of practice on my backspins, I should be able to build up more power on my left leg and get more than 1 revolution. Still a long way to go on those. :frus:

Coach is improving my frees skate program, up to bronze level. When she adds new bits, during the lesson, I forgot the earlier bit.

PinkLaces
10-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Apples Afternoon practice session yesterday with me, 2 skaters and their coaches. I actually got the first 20 minutes of ice to myself. :) I ran through the Bronze Moves test in order. Focused on putting as much power as I could to it. It felt pretty good. Really focused on pushing hard on the cross-overs on the ends.

Oranges There were a few things to fix. The 1st 3 turn on the power 3 is lopsided - turning too soon instead of riding the edge more. The left mohawk on the 5 step pattern is better but still a bit too soon. The 3rd edge on the landing position loses a lot of flow if I have to avoid anyone and it's hard to get the momentum back. Worked on all the exercises that coach gave me to correct them.

Apples Backspins are about 5-7 revs now. The arms are starting to be more automatic. Loops from the 3 turn are getting better and I can get about every 4th one from cross-overs. We are about 2/3 done with my Bronze freeskate test program. I really like it so far.

Oranges We are only 2/3 through the program and after I run it, I am a bit out of breath. There is a slower part where I do my spiral and go into a loop and then a backspin - it almost felt slo-mo. Flips were pretty good at the beginning of the week, but only landed a couple. I have to be going really slow and concentrate to land one.

PinkLaces
10-02-2009, 12:29 PM
We are so overdue for a new thread, I expanded to include the following week!

Crisp autumn apples, or that other fruit we aren't supposed to compare apples to :lol:

Apples - moves lesson, coach liked my "landing position" move

Oranges - back inside crossovers, still under construction. :frus: Spent most of the lesson on it, One more lesson before the test. I will be working that one carefully from my notes. Even if I incorporate all the corrections, it is getting tight to get that fully automatic by the 7th 8O

Good Luck on your test Liz!!!!

Bill_S
10-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Apples: Spins are back from vacation, except for a (weak) CW spin that I used to have. Normally, I'm a CCW spinner and CCW spins are back to last spring's quality.

Oranges: When I tried the CW spin though, I ended up flat on the ice several times. I quit trying before I got hurt.

Then I attempted to do a slow, easy hockey stop near the boards to avoid two other skaters, and again ended up on my back - hard! Ouch.

Why do the simple, easy things hurt the most when you fall? :??

Apples: I've got speed in spades, especially going backward for some reason. It's a blast to feel the acceleration with each stroke, and to be going full bore after just a few strong pushes.

dbny
10-02-2009, 09:12 PM
back inside crossovers, still under construction. :frus: Spent most of the lesson on it

What move is that? For the life of me, I can't picture BI XO's.

Apples:
Wed night I dreamed of doing backspins from a deep FI edge entrance and wanted to continue my student who is working on them with that on Thurs, but spinning turned out to not be her thing at that particular time, so when I got to the rink today for my own practice (coach away, no lesson), I tried it myself, heading for the wall so I could hang on if necessary. To my great surprise, I managed 1+ rev several times, with free leg crossed over in good position. I did catch my heel a few times but was able to bail without falling. I also fell to the L (I'm CW) pretty consistently, but overall, this was a nice, juicy apple for me.

Oranges:
Everything else! I could not get comfortable on that ice today. The rink was 38' and I was freezing most of the time. The ice was super hard too. Mostly, though, I think it was just me. I hit a few decent one foot spins, and then simply chickened out. I couldn't practice threes, even two footed except very, very slowly, because my back is still hurting, and every little tug is painful. Of course, perfect threes don't procude a "tug" :frus:. I did run through the Canasta Tango and Dutch Waltz in slo-mo just to work on the FO to FO transitions, but didn't feel like it did me any good.

Apples:
Almost forgot - had my dance lesson on a freestyle yesterday so I could wear a dress in preparation for testing later this month. It took me half an hour to get dressed for this, since I had to fool around with tights and knee pads, but I got it all together, and it withstood the rigors of the lesson. Nothing bunched up, nothing slid, and according to my friends, it all looked great, and the (Skating Safe) knee pads were almost invisible. The lesson itself was pretty good except that my coach said my arms were shaking at the start - weird. Now I just have to get confirmation from the test chair.

flo
10-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Apples: Great pairs practice, and we're starting choreography soon.
Oranges: Forgot how cold the rink could get. Waiting for our newly renovated rink to open!

Skate@Delaware
10-03-2009, 04:44 AM
Apples: had a great lesson with private coach, worked on things for pre-bronze test: stroking and getting power with each push and the extension needed; worked on spins-I'm still traveling but we owed it to the recent readjustment and migraine. We decided to try to test somewhere before the end of the year while I have more availability (i.e. before nursing school kicks off).

Oranges: I had (still have) a migraine so I was feeling off, spins traveled.

Apples: Group lesson was fun, we worked on jumps, running through waltz, toe-loop, salchow, and loop.

Oranges: my loop is still very low to the ice....but once I get more height I'll have this nailed. We both agree (group coach and I) I've come a long way since last year. I just need to come off my toe more! I don't know why I don't...and not sure what will make me except for just working on it more!

And I decided to not pick my toe-loop apart any more-I'm going back to the way I had it before-it was good and I'm done dissecting it! It was making me crazy! All I need it to get down lower and pick in more. That's all!

liz_on_ice
10-03-2009, 01:57 PM
What move is that? For the life of me, I can't picture BI XO's.

2nd move on adult bronze. it's probably called something else that slipped my mind

I've dreamed all kinds of wild skating moves, but some how it doesn't actually work when I get on the ice. How fun that yours worked.

techskater
10-03-2009, 04:17 PM
That's backward power or Russian stroking.

dbny
10-03-2009, 08:09 PM
2nd move on adult bronze. it's probably called something else that slipped my mind

I've dreamed all kinds of wild skating moves, but some how it doesn't actually work when I get on the ice. How fun that yours worked.

As techskater said "Back power crossovers", AKA "Russian Stroking".

Oh, I dream all the time about things I used to be able to do on roller skates. They are wonderful dreams. Then I wake up and face reality. This was one of the few times that I was actually able to do the thing. I think it's because I had been working on it a bit already, and had been doing it somewhat in the other direction.

Kim to the Max
10-03-2009, 09:41 PM
[Oranges]
Flipping axel....they are okay...but I know that they are not "right"...I know that I don't do the weight transfer completely correct which transfers over to my double sal and double toe, and while it's "okay" it makes me upset with myself about it. I'm doing a ton of drills to try to fix this :(

Today I took a fall during my lesson that scared the bejeebers out of temporary coach...I was doing a right forward inside rocker (junior moves) and afterwards, something was wonky and my leg went up and I went down on my left butt cheek...she was scared that I was hurt and that I hit my head (which I did not)...butt cheek is okay, just sore :)

My students! ((sorry, where I work, our mascot is an orange, and that totally gives away my location and where I work, but it's okay :))

[Apples]
Had a freestyle lesson yesterday and we worked on my program and some of the in between stuff (i.e. relaxing in the crossovers because I tend to rush them and they look horrid). Axel was okay on the reskate, and I may have needed to reskate the camel/back sit, but otherwise, it was okay.

Today we did moves and there was NO ONE on the ice, so I was able to do a pattern of the power pulls at full speed without needing to worry about bowling for kids. The right foot was actually okay the left foot however...still needs some work...they are getting better though. I still need to make the turns a little quicker, but whatevs...I'm at least getting through the pattern!!

I sent in my test form for November 14th - a month before the deadline, but that club's test sessions full up...FAST...I am going to scream if I don't get in!! That screws with my plans of going to Skate America in Lake Placid, but testing is more important...

[Neither]
Today was my last lesson with temporary coach. Regular coach is back on the ice on Monday (Tuesday and Thursday at my rink). I am so excited she is coming back, and I am surprised, but I am slightly sad that I won't be working with temporary coach. It was nice to work with someone else for a little while and to get some new perspectives on my skating. I have a lot of respect for temporary coach and luckily she has offered to come in occasionally to my rink if regular coach cannot make it one week (so I am not without a lesson) and if I would like an extra lesson before my test.

PinkLaces
10-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Friday

Apples Had my lesson with my coach. Went through my Bronze Moves test. Made a number of small fixes - like not slacking off on the cross-overs around the edges. We also fixed my timing on the 5 Step Mohawk - wasn't holding the #2 long enough.

Oranges My Bronze Free Skate test program. We didn't finish it. After I went through what we have, I only had 20 seconds left and I have to get in one more jump and one more spin. I need to get faster. Well, I did get a few seconds faster practicing on my own after my lesson - maybe 2-3.

Today Grassroots to Champions Seminar

I got talked into this by some other adult skaters at our rink. They had 2 groups: one for the adults and one for the kids. My DD was in the kids group. Wow! Really learned a lot today.

Apples Since we had a small group and over an hour for one on-ice session, one of the instructors let us work on whichever jump we were having the most trouble with. I worked on my flip and made lots of progress. We also went in the off-ice jump harness. First time for me, that was quite the experience.

Oranges Knees are sore from all the jumping done today. Not used to it as I usually spend half my session on Moves.

Kat12
10-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Apples: Spins and pivots improving, just a tiny bit.

Oranges: all my stops are still meh. Hockey stop still close to nonexistent. Snowplow and T stops are okay. However, no matter how I stop, I have trouble doing it from any amount of speed....

Didn't feel like I got a ton of time in class on Saturday to work on 3-turns. And when I did, they were sort of crap.

Started learning back 3-turns, and OMG. I DO NOT get it. I'm practicing on the wall so I'm not so afraid I'll die, but it's hard to use the wall for them. Will need A to really show them to me so I'll know what I'm doing as well. I just...can't get them right. I don't know if I'm not hitting the right part of my heel, or what. I just don't get around, and back onto my edge. I know part of it is fear--because I know if I fall, I'm going down backwards, and that could end badly.

I'm also starting to feel again like I'm being worked too fast. Here's my problem: for one, I would rather master A, B, and C before moving on to D, E, and F. Otherwise I'll have a bunch of half-@ssed skills, and I don't want that. For two, a hour or so might be enough time for A, B, and C. However, then I add D, E, and F. Yet I still need to practice A, B, and C as well. Then when I add G, H, and I, my time to work on each skill cuts down even more...and let's face it, I don't even have many skills under my belt right now, so...I can't imagine how it will be when I really start learning even more stuff. I mean, I could see me spending 15 minutes to half an hour just on 3-turns...and spins...and crossovers...etc. etc. The time disappears quickly.

dbny
10-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Started learning back 3-turns, and OMG. I DO NOT get it. I'm practicing on the wall so I'm not so afraid I'll die, but it's hard to use the wall for them. Will need A to really show them to me so I'll know what I'm doing as well. I just...can't get them right. I don't know if I'm not hitting the right part of my heel, or what. I just don't get around, and back onto my edge. I know part of it is fear--because I know if I fall, I'm going down backwards, and that could end badly.

Do them two footed on a hockey circle. That way you can practice the rotation and feel where you should be on the blade without the fear. Fear will stiffen you up and make the turns impossible and falls more likely. You don't always fall backwards on a B three fall, and if you bend your knee as soon as you feel yourself losing it, you will fall from a lower height. That said, I go through phases where I can do BO threes, then chicken out, and can't do them at all just because of fear!

Skate@Delaware
10-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Do them two footed on a hockey circle. That way you can practice the rotation and feel where you should be on the blade without the fear. Fear will stiffen you up and make the turns impossible and falls more likely. You don't always fall backwards on a B three fall, and if you bend your knee as soon as you feel yourself losing it, you will fall from a lower height. That said, I go through phases where I can do BO threes, then chicken out, and can't do them at all just because of fear!
Yeah what she said! I always warm them up using 2 feet, and on the hockey circle.

I didn't practice today, but taught a mini-lesson for a birthday party. I had 2 groups of kids- very low-level skaters and mid-to-high level. What a mixing! Anyway, I split them up and had the higher level work on holding their jump setups/landings and then see how long they could hold then do a little waltz jump (they actually had a hard time jumping from a glide); the others I worked on one-foot glides and some intro stroking.

It was fun but I didn't stick around. I am still recovering after a 3-day burning migraine so I wanted to get home and eat something and rehydrate. I did manage to do a few spins-and they were fairly centered (yay I'm not crazy-it was my boot/blade LOL).

dbny
10-04-2009, 10:35 PM
I did manage to do a few spins-and they were fairly centered (yay I'm not crazy-it was my boot/blade LOL).

Isn't that a great feeling?

Skate@Delaware
10-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Isn't that a great feeling?
Knowing that I'm not crazy? Yeah! (well, not 100% anyway, more like 50-50!) But being able to spin again? It's an awesome feeling!

liz_on_ice
10-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Apples - been drilling those moves, coach's corrections from last week are getting incorporated, I think I'm good. One more lesson, the day before the test.

Oranges - That may be a bad thing rather than a good thing - I don't want to go into it making last second changes.

Apples - some sit spin improvement, I almost felt like I was sitting for a moment, before I toppled over and bailed on it.

jazzpants
10-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Liz_on_ice: Good luck on your Bronze Moves test!!!!

Nice CRISPY APPLES!!!

Well, most of you already know via Facebook, but I've landed a new job and the job has a REALLY nice gym! :bow:

Oranges:
Was struggling Thursday on everything! I'm still scrapping on the BI3's at times. Same problem as Liz, couldn't commit myself to go faster on those BI3's. Couldn't even commit myself to a BI3's at slower speeds on a consistent basis either!!! GRRRR!!! :frus:

Was pretty much struggling on ALL Silver Moves test at one point or another. I can't think of any moves that I'm close to passing on... not even that STUPID SPIRAL!!! :frus:

Was on a very busy FS session with a bunch of kiddie skater and one VERY BIG and FAST skater. Oh, boy! That was interesting!!! BUT...I could JUST picture my secondary coach saying "You need to get used to skating on busy crowded FS sessions and with VERY FAST skaters! It might inspire you to MOVE YOUR BUTT FASTER ON THE ICE!!!"

Apples:
So happy to be amongst the employed again!!! I will be able to afford lessons again soon! :bow:

tazsk8s
10-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Apples:

Friday's freestyle - nearly empty. Just four skaters (counting me) and two coaches.
Camel spin on Friday - first ones I've tried since getting back on the ice. Hit a camel position on nearly all of them.
Loops in general - timing is starting to come back on them. Did 4 or 5 nice ones that were clean on yesterday's public.
Felt brave enough to try a few axel exercises yesterday....waltz-loop, waltz-backspin.

Oranges (mushy rotten ones):
Friday's freestyle was freezing COLD. Worse than normal. Left my sweat pants on the whole time.
Sit spin on Friday - couldn't beg, borrow, or steal one. Only thing I can think of was that my knee bend was affected by the excessive cold temperatures.
Lutzes - trying to get the timing back on those. Took a couple of spills that I am certain would have HURT the wrist had I not had the wrist guards on, but I didn't even feel them.
Back 3's - yucky. Just yucky. And I get kind of nauseous even thinking the words "8 step mohawk", trying it is still a long way off. Have been using pre-pre edges as part of my "warmup" instead of any of the Silver moves, and have pretty much abandoned any intention I might have had of testing those in the foreseeable future. Better off to work on some of the stuff I was grandfathered through, I think.

Isk8NYC
10-05-2009, 12:31 PM
CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW JOB, JAZZPANTS!!

Apples
New blades are okay. I'm not taking face plants (actually CHEST plants - my poor ribs) anymore.
Such a relief to not hesistate on mohawks, wondering if I was going to trip and fall.
Centered a few spins. I was right: the sit spin is my anchor. Once I start nailing those, the other spins come more easily.
Back spin is still scratchy, so I'm taking Renatele's advice and trying an adjustment.

Oranges
Struggling with back brackets, but they're coming along slowly. I never did them well before, why should now be different?
I am really trying to get out and skate tomorrow. I even did all my AM work today, hoping there will not be a crises that require me to work through lunch.

Petlover
10-05-2009, 02:30 PM
CONGRATS ON THE NEW JOB JAZZPANTS!!!!!!

I also do SQA, so I know how hard it its, but they ARE LUCKY TO HAVE YOU!!!

doubletoe
10-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Apples
Had two "apple" practices in a row! The first was on Friday, when I went back to the rink after work to skate the 7:00pm freestyle session (having skated the 6:30am session before work). I started to get my pancake spin back, and best of all, I got my flying camel back! It wasn't my usual wonky flying camel, either; it was a really solid one! I nailed it on the first try, then again on the next try! Apparently, just thinking about the physics of a spin off ice yields better results for me than actually practicing the thing! :roll:

My second "apple" practice was yesterday, when I did the best program run-through yet with this program. For the first time, I not only completed every element, but I also managed to successfully complete all of the level features on the spins and spirals! Woo hoo!!:D I also felt that I skated to the music better than I ever had, hitting every musical cue in the program!

Oranges? None this weekend, thanks anyway! ;)

liz_on_ice
10-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Liz_on_ice: Good luck on your Bronze Moves test!!!!

Nice CRISPY APPLES!!!

Well, most of you already know via Facebook, but I've landed a new job and the job has a REALLY nice gym! :bow:

thank you, and CONGRATULATIONS!

liz_on_ice
10-05-2009, 03:11 PM
thank you, and CONGRATULATIONS!

ps - JAZZ, change your signature! :lol:

katz in boots
10-06-2009, 03:21 AM
Congratulations Jazz, that must be such a relief!

Apples
Back on my old blades, I can spin again and jump again! :)
Scratch spins are back :) and even a couple of reasonable backspins - but only if I pulled in as if I were trying to do a double jump (I can't actually do double jumps, so it's only my concept of what that would be like). It seems committing to the pull in really helped get me further forward on the blade.

Tried a few gentle jumps and they were pretty okay except loop & flip.
Even did a few lutzes from different entries. My lutzes are such great flips, yet my flips are tiny- there's been so much pulling apart of my flip that I'm over-thinking, over-waiting and picking right next to the take-off foot, whereas for lutzes, I just reach back & go for it in a very relaxed fashion.

Oranges
upset piriformis muscle from wonky camel spins a week ago, totally aggravated by an off-ice fall last Friday = major sciatic pain. Unable to attempt camels or sits at the moment, and taking it easy on all jumps.

Bananas
stood in as trial judge on our Artistic competition. Interesting. I hadn't done anything under IJS before (and hadn't read up on it because I hadn't planned to stand in at this one), so it was a learning experience. Also stood in on tests the next morning. Verrry interesting. Turns out I am way too harsh on the Learn to skate edge tests.

Peaches
My coach comes back from o/s this week ! Yay, after about 5-6 weeks without a lesson, swine flu, injured piriformis etc, it will be so great to start work again !

dance2sk8
10-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Apples:
My sit spin is now past the 90 degree mark!!!! I can sit really REALLY low! It happened on several sit spins yesterday. My coach even was surprised and excited by it! She was whooping it up across the ice. LOL! Everyone probably heard her. Now I have to keep my free leg up higher and eventually I will start working on resting my head on my knee or other variations!!! Woohoo!!!!!

Oranges:
Very discouraged, once again, with back spin. I see how to do it, but feeling for it is impossible for me. I only twizzle or end up on an inside edge or grinding my blade. Grrr. :frus: Why can't I get this one particular item???? This will be the one thing that keeps me behind in progressing to other levels. Everything else is coming along and I am able to learn more and more. But this is the only move I can't seem to get together and get it. :(

liz_on_ice
10-06-2009, 09:05 AM
apples - last practice for moves test went well, a few last minute-corrections, but coach knew this wasn't the time to pile them on. He pronounced the back crossovers to outside edges very nice, but I knew they were good - it feels like effortless flight. You know, that "this is why we skate" feeling. :D

oranges - 2nd move, back crossovers, still not up to where he wants them (but much improved from a month ago) Hoping other moves are good enough to carry it.

apples - this time I'll have my coach to put me on the ice. I had to schedule my first two tests while he was away in LP. I put on my big-girl panties and did it, but it was still 8O

Skate@Delaware
10-06-2009, 09:34 AM
No skating today-I'm going with a friend while he goes to the chiropractor (to hold his hand he is such a big baby). However, I am going to the rink tomorrow for the 7pm freestyle---if they don't get enough attendance at the evening sessions they will disappear 8O!!! I LIKE the pm sessions, late enough so people have eaten dinner and there isn't the crazy hockey boys hanging around.

phoenix
10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Oranges:
Very discouraged, once again, with back spin. I see how to do it, but feeling for it is impossible for me. I only twizzle or end up on an inside edge or grinding my blade. Grrr. :frus: Why can't I get this one particular item???? This will be the one thing that keeps me behind in progressing to other levels. Everything else is coming along and I am able to learn more and more. But this is the only move I can't seem to get together and get it. :(

I have this exact same issue w/ backspins--I think it is the dancer's curse--we are drilled to stay back on the blade & we practice twizzles for hours.....then try a backspin? Yah, right. Personally I'm hoping to at least get to the point where the twizzle points are tight enough together so that from across the rink it will pass as a backspin..... :giveup:

Every so often I get the miracle of actually getting a couple of loops instead of points, but very rarely.

PinkLaces
10-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Jazzpants - Congrats on the job!!!

Monday
Apples Worked on Bronze Moves test. Coach wants me to run through it like I would during the test without resting. I was less winded. Spent a lot of time with the 5 Step Mohawk making sure the hold #2 step.
Spins were pretty good and centered.

Oranges Jumps were just not happening. I worked on a footwork part of my program. It has an RI 3 turn. This not a one that I do a lot (CW skater) so worked on getting that feeling and looking better. Didn't go to ice dance class :cry: DH wanted me to go to the big game with him last night.

dance2sk8
10-06-2009, 11:56 AM
I have this exact same issue w/ backspins--I think it is the dancer's curse--we are drilled to stay back on the blade & we practice twizzles for hours.....then try a backspin? Yah, right. Personally I'm hoping to at least get to the point where the twizzle points are tight enough together so that from across the rink it will pass as a backspin..... :giveup:

Every so often I get the miracle of actually getting a couple of loops instead of points, but very rarely.

I just wish it would come together so I can do change of foot spins, even from a scratch. It would be nice. I've been able to do a couple of sit spins this way, but I haven't worked on that in ages. We started really refining my forward inside edge 3 turns left and right to try and correct some upper body problems that I am having incorporated with the back spin. I know part of it is my confidence. Everything else, no fear. Not worried about falling from jumps or anything, but the back spin I feel so helpless with. I don't push my hips forward and if I focus on my pinky toe, I end up on my toe pick. :giveup:

I want to pass Bronze, freestyle I think I will with ease, but we'll see. Not sure if I am going to be doing that test before January or not. Would be nice. If a backspin is required, I don't know if I will. I am doing a mix of silver/gold moves/freestyle...etc. and I passed my Pre-Bronze test.

Oh, and Pheonix, I started skating in January (no prior experience other than public sessions here and there...very few and far between). I am not an ice dancer. I dance ballet, jazz/hip hop, so that explains my name on the forum. :D I am, however, taking my first ice dance lesson next week. I know it will help improve my moves.

Isk8NYC
10-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Apples:
Moved the blade on my right skate - it helped, but it's not perfect. Wonder if the insole is part of the issue, since it was matched to my orthotics?
I think the left blade is set too far FORWARD - the plate goes past the sole and the rocker seems to be between my toes and the ball of my foot.

Spins were so-so and wobbly. Did a nice layback with huge circles though, lol.

Oranges:
MITF were good, except for the three turns. The LFI and RFO are terrifying and lousy.

No jumps. ;( Ran out of time, raced to pick up the kids at school only to find they have show rehearsals after school. DH will pick them up since I have to go back to the rink to teach.

At least I have time to fix dinner now.

sk8tegirl06
10-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Apples...uh pretty much everything :lol: Jumps felt great! Spins even better! I might actually get the evil loop jump by the end of the year.

Oranges...My stamina and confidence for my program. I can run through it in my head thus far, just fine...but stringing the whole thing together and not bailing out on jumps is a whole 'nother story.

phoenix
10-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Oh, and Pheonix, I started skating in January (no prior experience other than public sessions here and there...very few and far between). I am not an ice dancer. I dance ballet, jazz/hip hop, so that explains my name on the forum. :D I am, however, taking my first ice dance lesson next week. I know it will help improve my moves.

Ah!! Yes, I was thinking you were an ice dancer!

Yes, ice dance will definitely improve your moves & make you a better all-around skater. However, it will screw up your backspin. ;)

doubletoe
10-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Apples:
My sit spin is now past the 90 degree mark!!!! I can sit really REALLY low! It happened on several sit spins yesterday. My coach even was surprised and excited by it! She was whooping it up across the ice. LOL! Everyone probably heard her. Now I have to keep my free leg up higher and eventually I will start working on resting my head on my knee or other variations!!! Woohoo!!!!!

Oranges:

Yay!! on the sit spin! Sorry the backspin isn't going better, but at least know you are in good company. It took me forever. When I took my Bronze FS test, the only way I could get 3 revolutions on a backspin was to bend my right knee, rest the outside of my left foot on my right knee, have my left arm up in the air and my right arm rounded in front of me. For whatever reason, it kept my weight balanced in the right place and I got enough revolutions on it to pass the test! :lol:

PinkLaces
10-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Apples Finished my test program tonight except for a footwork section. Coach wanted to think about what to add there. Spins were good and centered. Backspin really improved by thinking about standing up straight. Loops from the 3 turn were good. About 50-50 from back cross-overs. Yay! Progress.

Oranges All the progress I made on the flip seemed to go bye-bye today. Only landed 1 small one.

Cherries LTS skate started after our 2nd session tonight. DD was staying to help with tots. I stayed and helped too, because they were really short handed. Nobody else wants the criers, but I actually like working with them. I can usually get them to stop crying and start skating by distracting and praising them. There were 3 tonight. Only 1 was still crying at the end, but she lasted 28 of the 30 minutes.

ibreakhearts66
10-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Ok, I guess I should share the painful details of my competition on Saturday. Let me just start by saying that I had my 3rd round of chemo on Friday (mild chemo, but still chemo), so it may not have been the best idea to compete, but I'd signed up and didn't want to withdraw.

Here we go.
Oranges
-Warm up was bad to begin with. I spent too long trying to just get my feet under me and only ended up jumping through 2toe and doing a little bit of spinning. I was extremely nervous, really afraid that I wasn't even going to be able to get through my program.

I popped the opening axel, 2footed the 2sal (and got downgraded on it, but I don't actually think it was UR), fell on the 2toe in 1lutz+2toe (although DIDN'T get downgraded--ironically, that's the jump I was having the most trouble rotating). FCSSp was kind of weak, but not tragic, footwork was meh, CUSp was decent, then came the meltdown. I singled the planned 2flip. I landed and just kind of felt my legs turn to jello. Stepped forward. Fell. Tried to get up, fell. Tried to get up one more time, fell again and sat on the ice with a priceless look on my face and shrugged my shoulders. I still don't know if I had something on my blade or if it was just lactic acid build up, but trying to stand up really felt like I had a skate guard on.

I was quite discouraged after that. But, the past two skates have been better

Apples
-Had a nice talk with my coach on Monday.
-Fixed the timing on my 2sal. It has slowly been getting funkier and funkier to the point where I was taking off with my arms already in to rotate. I was still getting all the way around, and it was still fairly big, but its MUCH better now that I'm actually kicking AND reaching through.
-Changed the arms on my 1lz+2T so that I just keep my arms out on the lutz so I'm ready to pick for the toe. I've only missed a handful since (and of those, probably 2-3 of the misses were just pops).
-Really drilled combos today and was just nailing axel and double sal combos with both 2loop and 2toe on the end (and a few 3 jump combos using both 2T+2Lo and 2Lo+2T as the second and third jumps).

I'm also just happy that I'm not letting myself get too discouraged about the bad skate. I'm kind of looking at it like I did my epic back flop of the high dive--I don't have much left to be nervous about! Plus, I'm proud of how I handled it in the moment. Normally, I'd pop the axel and just have a meltdown, but I was able to tell myself to just stay calm, move on and focus on the next element. I DID do this--I at least WENT for the 2sal and 2toe--they may not have been great successes, but I know in the past, I would have just popped everything.

Kim to the Max
10-06-2009, 10:12 PM
[Oranges]
frickin' frackin' dumb stupid horrible no good very bad frustrating axel...

Today I didn't skate well. I was having issues with my axel and I was also have major issues with my camel/back sit. I don't know what the issue is. I haven't been skating well on Tuesdays lately and I am wondering if it has something to do with the fact that I'm teaching before hand and then go into 2 freestyle sessions.

I was so frustrated because my axel was okay on Friday/Sunday as was my camel/back sit.

I had a horrible run thru of my program as well.

*sigh* I may need to do some running or something tomorrow to make up for the horrible practice tonight.

[Apples]
Did some decent double sals (not landed, but I was feeling more over my right side) and got some good pop on my double toe.

Tonight was coach's first night back at my rink :) it was wonderful having her back. My first lesson is on Thursday!!

antmanb
10-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Oranges

After the dream like session a good few weeks ago when i didn't miss a single loop or flip i tried everything has regressed totally. I just don't get it - i know it's mental and not physical but i constantly two foot both loop and flip without any good reason. I'm frustrated. Coach is frustrated. She says everytime i take off it is all great until the split second before i land when i lower the free foot to the ice. There is no discernable reason. She has me drive the free knee up high and leave it there throughout the jump in an attempt to keep the free foot from touchign down on the landing. I do the jumps exactly that way and as i go to land i put the foot down as a "stabiliser". I am pretty avers to falling which i think is partly the problem but i don't get what the difference is when i do land them and when i don't. :giveup:

Ant

dance2sk8
10-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Ah!! Yes, I was thinking you were an ice dancer!

Yes, ice dance will definitely improve your moves & make you a better all-around skater. However, it will screw up your backspin. ;)

:giveup: What backspin? :roll: :lol:

Isk8NYC
10-07-2009, 07:31 AM
I have a backspin, but the circles are HUGE and I can't get my foot crossed. Yes, Renatele, I moved the blade. It helped, but it's not perfect.

Apples:
Another adult skater gave me a "checklist" of things to evaluate blade mounting issues. Very simple things: list all the edges, try them, and write down the results. (I fall to the inside on my left.)

Did a few backspins and found that I untied the laces on my free foot boot! Don't ask me how, I just started laughing and decided that it was time to go.

Oranges: It stinks that the coaches aren't paid if the students don't show up. The rink collects full tuition in advance, so they've already collected the coaches' costs. Tsk, tsk.

dance2sk8
10-07-2009, 07:47 AM
I have a backspin, but the circles are HUGE and I can't get my foot crossed. Yes, Renatele, I moved the blade. It helped, but it's not perfect.

Apples:
Another adult skater gave me a "checklist" of things to evaluate blade mounting issues. Very simple things: list all the edges, try them, and write down the results. (I fall to the inside on my left.)

Did a few backspins and found that I untied the laces on my free foot boot! Don't ask me how, I just started laughing and decided that it was time to go.

Oranges: It stinks that the coaches aren't paid if the students don't show up. The rink collects full tuition in advance, so they've already collected the coaches' costs. Tsk, tsk.

Well, it looks like you have the back spin and I have the foot crossing. Wanna switch? LOL! :lol:

Isk8NYC
10-07-2009, 08:15 AM
I usually have an excellent backspin with a full, tight cross. I've been having blade problems that still aren't resolved. I have to attack this problem today. I'm sick of not being comfortable on my skates.

Skittl1321
10-07-2009, 08:18 AM

That's ridiculous. If the student paid, the coach should be paid.

liz_on_ice
10-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Apple pie - Test day today. Summer coach put me on the ice, and Winter coach came to see me test so I had lots of morale support. :D

I PASSED BRONZE MOVES! Judges sheets were mixed, each one marked one move .1 under standard and one .1 over - but which was down and which was up varied across all the sheets. Worked out to an even 12.5.

Comments are pretty much the same things my coach has been complaining about for the last month - no surprises there, which is just how it should be.

renatele
10-07-2009, 09:07 AM

Glad it didn't turn out to just be my screwed-up eyesight or something, LOL!

Sorry it still isn't completely right :(

PinkLaces
10-07-2009, 12:01 PM
apple pie - test day today. Summer coach put me on the ice, and winter coach came to see me test so i had lots of morale support. :d

i passed bronze moves! judges sheets were mixed, each one marked one move .1 under standard and one .1 over - but which was down and which was up varied across all the sheets. Worked out to an even 12.5.

Comments are pretty much the same things my coach has been complaining about for the last month - no surprises there, which is just how it should be.

congrats!!!!

Skittl1321
10-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Congrats Liz on ice!

dance2sk8
10-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Apple pie - Test day today. Summer coach put me on the ice, and Winter coach came to see me test so I had lots of morale support. :D

I PASSED BRONZE MOVES! Judges sheets were mixed, each one marked one move .1 under standard and one .1 over - but which was down and which was up varied across all the sheets. Worked out to an even 12.5.

Yay for passing bronze moves!! That's my next test, or its going to be Bronze Freestyle. Not sure which one my coach wants me to do. We are working on my program right now.

Isk8NYC
10-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I PASSED BRONZE MOVES!

Congratulations!!!

liz_on_ice
10-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Yay for passing bronze moves!! That's my next test, or its going to be Bronze Freestyle. Not sure which one my coach wants me to do. We are working on my program right now.

Cool! But, how are you going to test freestyle without passing moves first? I'm not ready for the free yet. Backspin is nice and solid now, but sitspin isn't there and loop is shaky.

doubletoe
10-07-2009, 01:18 PM

YAY!!! Congratulations!! :D

doubletoe
10-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Ok, I guess I should share the painful details of my competition on Saturday. Let me just start by saying that I had my 3rd round of chemo on Friday (mild chemo, but still chemo), so it may not have been the best idea to compete, but I'd signed up and didn't want to withdraw.

3 falls? Sounds like me at Golden West, LOL! Except *I* didn't have any excuse! Good for you not backing down from the mental battle, even though you knew your body wouldn't be its normal self. If you can do that, you'll be in good shape for Regionals!:bow:

dbny
10-07-2009, 01:53 PM
I PASSED BRONZE MOVES!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Yay for passing bronze moves!! That's my next test, or its going to be Bronze Freestyle. Not sure which one my coach wants me to do.

You aren't allowed to take a freestyle test until you have passed the moves test at the same level, so you will most definitely do the Bronze MIF first.

celticprincess
10-07-2009, 02:01 PM
First of all some non skating news once sgain...I PASSED my National Ceritifcation exam for massage therapy. That means I can pretty much practice anywhere in the USA...YAY. So I celebrated that by coming to lunch skate. Here we go:

Apples:
Brackets were wonderful today! They're feeling so smooth and almost easy for me.
Double Threes were nice as usual..it's fun pairing them with brackets.
Artisic move thingy that looks like a spread eagle, but not exactly...very pretty..I added some arms and head movements.
Shoot the duck into a catch foot...nice smooth transition
Scratch spins were good as always as were sit spins
Had two REALLY REALLY good laybacks(I'm not usually that comfortable with that spin, but those two instances felt like magic)
Backspins were better than usual..I actually did a layback and then stepped into a back sit....it worked!!!:lol:
Broken leg spin...has to be one of my favorites...I can never complain about it:)
Waltz, single sal, toe loop,flip and loop were all very nice today.
Had some really really close 2sal attempts. I apparently land 'cleanly' mind you on the wrong foot...not sure why. I did have one instance where I landed on the correct foot..but then fell. Honestly, today I fixed a major problem that I was doing previously...so I can't complain.:??
Overall, I really worked hard today and feel that it paid off
Falling leaf/stag/loop sequence was fun

Pears(hehe, I have to create a 'eh' catagory):
Spirals weren't all that bad, but I need more speed getting into them...that's what scares me to be honest.
Programme runthroughs weren't all that good..I kept forgetting exactly how the music went. Since it wasn't a freestyle session, I had to rely on the music in my head..which isn't always a good thing.

Oranges:
Lutzes were terrible today. I kept rushing into it and not only that I just kept double footing it. :x
Camel spins just weren't good...at all. I tried a couple attempts and gave up. :frus:
Chickened out once again on the axel. For some reason I kept continously working on the 2sal.
I currently feel like I had one too many glasses of wine..hehe. Leg muscles are killing me.:cry:

I guess that's it. Overall I had good session today!!

jazzpants
10-07-2009, 03:15 PM
ps - JAZZ, change your signature! :lol: Done!!! :P :lol: :bow:

Skate@Delaware
10-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Liz_on_ice: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Non-skating note: I passed my healthcare provider CPR class, so that's another think knocked off my pre-clinical checklist! Tomorrow I get some bloodwork done (routine, non-routine stuff for my gastro doc and then some titers to prove I've been immunized against some diseases when younger which I do need for my checklist).

Skating note: went to freestyle, but didn't have time for dinner, as I left straight from school (after an exam on cellular enzymes & metabolism). And it was cold, I was cold blech! Worked on my moves, almost had a collision or two but I was nice about it-gave a polite "excuse me" and they scooted...the 3rd time I just said "beep-beep" which got some laughs. The young girls were playing on the ice (that ticks me off).

I'm getting better at keeping my free foot tucked at my heel when I'm doing the back edge on the waltz-8. It does make it easier! It also makes it easier keeping my arms tighter against my body.

Couldn't scratch spin very well...not sure why. Backspins were great! Did an awesome one, counted my loops/whirls and got 8.

Only did a few jumps. Actually got some height on my loop-my friend swears that I got more than 2 inches off the ice tonight LOL!

Club meeting was taking place during the session, rumor has it that there will be a test session in December! AND, we have a new rink manager, some man from Michigan (no name yet, he starts on Monday) who used to be a pairs skater and is very pro-figure skating, hockey, programs etc. So, we will see how things go....stay tuned is all I can say for now!

ibreakhearts66
10-08-2009, 12:35 AM
3 falls? Sounds like me at Golden West, LOL! Except *I* didn't have any excuse! Good for you not backing down from the mental battle, even though you knew your body wouldn't be its normal self. If you can do that, you'll be in good shape for Regionals!:bow:

Lol, that's exactly the response I was expecting to get from you! Oh well, better for us to have our splatfests at our respective competitions rather than regionals/AN!

I just wish I had a picture of me sitting on the ice, shrugging my shoulders and holding my arms out at the judges with my "Ummm I can't get up, do you wanna stop the music" face on :lol:

dance2sk8
10-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Apples: I did an actual back spin!!! (one rev I felt the sweet spot!). After that I was so excited, I kept twizzling, but not as far in length. I even did a change of foot spin.

Sit spin = awesome! I got my free leg parallel to my bent knee and pointed my toe. It keeps getting better and better.

Figured out how to get my entrance to my spins and camel so much better!

Learned how to do a falling leaf. That's a ton of fun!

I hope this progress keeps going!

Skittl1321
10-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Apples: I did an actual back spin!!! (one rev I felt the sweet spot!). After that I was so excited, I kept twizzling, but not as far in length. I even did a change of foot spin.

YAY! You'll have it in no time!

I think I did (weeny) change foot spins before really backspins. Now that I have the backspin, I'm trying to do the good change foot spin.

dance2sk8
10-08-2009, 08:18 AM

I think I did (weeny) change foot spins before really backspins. Now that I have the backspin, I'm trying to do the good change foot spin.

Its all in the pivot! If I do too small of one or not long enough, I twizzle. :P That happens more often than not. But last night I did a nice one with my leg crossed over in the back spin...twizzle, thingy do hicky. LOL!

Skittl1321
10-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Its all in the pivot! If I do too small of one or not long enough, I twizzle. :P That happens more often than not. But last night I did a nice one with my leg crossed over in the back spin...twizzle, thingy do hicky. LOL!

That makes sense, because that straight-line motion happens when your blade is flat, or bouncing back and forth on the edges.

A good pivot should get you deeper onto the edge that is essential for making the spin round, and hopefully centered. (But I'm happy even if I get a traveling set of circles- as long as they are circles!)

Skate@Delaware
10-08-2009, 08:31 AM

Change-foot spins do help with the backspin, I've found out. I get super-dizzy but still work on them when I can (not sure why I get so dizzy doing these-I'm going in the SAME direction).

Isk8NYC
10-08-2009, 08:41 AM
I get super-dizzy but still work on them when I can (not sure why I get so dizzy doing these-I'm going in the SAME direction).
Make sure you're upright with your spine straight once the speed builds up. (Shoulders and spine make a "T")

If you allow that spine to twist or bend, you're working against the spin direction, which throws off balance and can make you dizzy. I also teach skaters to backspin facing forward - turning the head to one side or another makes the skater dizzy. Save that move for after you've mastered the spin.

I will go skating...I will go skating...I will go skating today. (Almost done with my work for the day. Started it last night.)

dance2sk8
10-08-2009, 09:44 AM
I am also going skating again today! All the progress I have made this week has motivated me and I am really loving it right now! Tomorrow will be my day off, then Saturday, 3hrs of skating! So excited. :lol:

Skate@Delaware
10-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Make sure you're upright with your spine straight once the speed builds up. (Shoulders and spine make a "T")

If you allow that spine to twist or bend, you're working against the spin direction, which throws off balance and can make you dizzy. I also teach skaters to backspin facing forward - turning the head to one side or another makes the skater dizzy. Save that move for after you've mastered the spin.

I will go skating...I will go skating...I will go skating today. (Almost done with my work for the day. Started it last night.)
thanks for the tip; I'm fairly sure I'm upright, although a rumor has circulated the rink that I do pitch forward from time to time.....;)
I am also going skating again today! All the progress I have made this week has motivated me and I am really loving it right now! Tomorrow will be my day off, then Saturday, 3hrs of skating! So excited. :lol:
I'm not skating today.....I have homework, a research paper to start, and music lessons.....I'm winding down from my personal storm I've been on getting things together for the nursing acceptance package. BUT I will skate tomorrow!!!!

LilJen
10-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Lessons yesterday. Sit spin is coming along, yay! for spinning lessons. Backspin still inconsistent.

With primary coach: One great runthrough, without music, with a GREAT change-foot spin that just sailed. One terrible runthrough with music, in which I missed just about everything! <sigh>

PinkLaces
10-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Apples Had my lesson tonight instead of tomorrow. Going out of town for a girls' weekend :) We worked on the 5 Step Mohawk pattern. Coach was very happy with the progress I've made on it. Also worked on the back landing pattern. She is happy with that also, but would like to see a little more power on the pushes. I always feel like the 3rd one is a bit slower/off, but Coach said it didn't seem slower and looked fine to her.

We ran through my program minus the footwork part(will be spend most of our time on that at the next lesson). Coach was pretty happy with it....

Oranges except for my crappy sit spin. In my efforts to get low, I was barely getting 3 revs. Normally, I can do 5. Also struggling with the flip again today. I'm going to pick up another lesson a week so I can get more help on individual elements as well as working on the Moves and Free Skate tests.

Kat12
10-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Oranges: meant to go skating at school rink on Tuesday, only to get halfway there and realize I'd forgotten to bring my wallet and it was still at work. Being as they know me, they might've let me in anyway and just let me pay next time, but as I wasn't sure I didn't want to finish the journey.

So I went yesterday instead. Bit busy again this time (the guy told me afterward that it's been more on the busy side this year). One of the kids there apparently knew a thing or two about skating and kept asking me questions. It was annoying. I mean, there I was on the wall trying to figure out backward 3-turns and she comes over: "is there some stuff you're afraid to do? You shouldn't be scared, just do it." Yeah, easy for you to say. You're probably half my age and if you break a bone, it'll heal easier AND you won't be the one paying for it or taking time off work for it. I definitely didn't need the "help" from the peanut gallery, geez. I'm discouraged enough right now, and self-conscious enough, that I don't need any help. Plus I wanted to use the time to practice, not chit-chat about what my coach's name is.

So, yeah. Still discouraged. Still wouldn't be able to figure out a backward 3-turn to save my life. Forward 3-turns, backward crossovers, and everything else still so-so.

Still very discouraged. I've just hit a plateau, and at a very boring point. You know, that spot where you're not the person wobbling around the rink holding onto the wall, and you're not the person who just skates around and around the rink for fun, but you're also not a "real" skater. So you feel embarrassed at the rink because you don't fit in anywhere. Some days I just don't want to go to the rink. I make myself do it and I do have fun skating, but I wish there would be SOMETHING I'd be good at. I could stand sucking at everything else if I could just fall back on a good spin or something to have fun with and make me feel better about myself.

Apples: spins were okay but not great. I'm starting to almost get an idea of where the sweet spot might be--I think I hit it a couple times-- and got a couple revs out of a couple one-foot spins (I'm definitely better when going clockwise).

My new class with the folks I think of as my "rink buddies" starts tomorrow night...and as my mom is coming to visit this weekend, she'll be coming to at least one of my classes. So that'll be fun.

Kim to the Max
10-08-2009, 09:54 PM
[Apples]
Everything is apples today!!!

I had my first lesson with coach!!!!! We did moves (I was given a new nick name that is inappropriate to share, but was also told to NOT think about it during my test otherwise I'm going to start laughing in the middle!!) which went well...I am FINALLY starting to get the power pulls!!!

Then we did freestyle and I did a clean-ish program (slight issue on the camel/back sit, which doesn't surprise me due to the fact that they went to crap on Tuesday) and landed 3 double sals!! (I haven't landed a double sal since I sprained my ankle).

My double toes were VERY close today too...

I haven't had that much fun in a while :)

londonicechamp
10-09-2009, 05:50 AM
This is for my ice skating lesson and practice Tuesday and Yesterday

Tuesday

Orange:
Inside 3s were shaky.
Jumps: toe loop and salchow (they were definitely off.) My coach and I were both not happy. :roll:
Program: definitely off. Coach wondered if everything was alright with me. 8O
Backspins: still cannot get past the 1 revolution.

Apples: ISI freestyle level 2 dance step. They were fun. :lol:
Learnt the inside mohawk on the left.
Crossovers were not too bad.
Change foot spin so-so.
Did the 3 forward sculling followed by 4 forward slaloms.

I know that I did not leave the rink happy on Tuesday, as my skating was pretty crap that day, due to lack of sleep. :frus:

Yesterday

Apples:
Getting more speed for my forward and backward crossovers.
Did the 3 forward sculling followed by 4 forward slaloms. These are my favourites. :D
Waltz jump: coach said not too bad. Trying to correct that I should look at where I was jumping, not where I was landing.
Change foot spin: not too bad, consistent now, with the right outside 3 turn entry position. Had a few good scratch spins too, where I hit the sweet spot, and got about 6 to 10 revolutions.
Sit spin: coach said that entry position is actually better, probably comes from me practising loads of scratch spins. :) Coach said that my sit spin is now stable, what I need to do is to practise and to try and get down lower. Was leaning towards the wrong side.
Ran through program once: coach was happy, I was happy, timing was correct, finally looking like something. 8-)

Oranges

Well, the damn backspin still sucks. I can cross my left foot, but the most that I got is only 1 rev. Also could not feel my sweet spot on the left skating boots. Arrgggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sit spins: trying to practise getting down lower after the lesson, and ended up sitting on the ice 4 times. :roll:

Toe loop: forgot the glide before the 3 turn, and before the jump. Hopefully will be much better during next Tuesday's lesson.

My kiddie friends only skates about once a week now, due to heavy workload from school.

londonicechamp

dance2sk8
10-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Sit spins: trying to practise getting down lower after the lesson, and ended up sitting on the ice 4 times. :roll:

I did this several times. My coach wanted me to get low and fall. However, this was EXTREMELY beneficial for me to learn how to bend at the ankle AND get lower and finally know what it feels like. I now am able to get past the 90 degree mark. It took some time, but it will happen for you too! Now my coach and I are working on me not having so much of a rounded back, which we worked on this past Wednesday. I also am please to report I am now pointing my toe on my free leg and raising it higher. I used to scratch the ice with it. I am geeked for sit variations! :lol:

RachelSk8er
10-09-2009, 09:36 AM
I just wish I had a picture of me sitting on the ice, shrugging my shoulders and holding my arms out at the judges with my "Ummm I can't get up, do you wanna stop the music" face on :lol:

That's a total Janet Lynn moment. Except your'e too young to know who that is. Heck, I'm too young to know who that is, but it was the only book about any ice skater the public library had when I was a kid.

Oranges-->I like them much better than apples. In fact, I love oranges, so they will be my good category: Had a good lesson today. I'm joining Kim in the "junior moves power pulls progress" club, because they're getting so much better. Especially when I focus on NOT doing the "ex synchro skater" habit of putting my arms up (thus pulling my shoulders up and not staying down in my knee), and remember to keep everything pressed down.

Pears: (Need a blah category, too). Choctaws are getting better, but I hate them. Now at least I'm doing real choctaws, its' just hard to keep the hip open and my weight over the skating leg.

Made a minor axel breakthrough. Fixed my takeoff and now it's much better, but it's still two-footed. Need to get over the "don't wanna fall" mental block and just suck it up and check out of the thing on one foot.

Apples: ran my program, it was bad. Huge huge huge mess. And lutzes were awful today.

Debbie S
10-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Oh and since now you can get major awards (like...maybe a Nobel prize) for things that you would like to accomplish but have yet to accomplish, I'd like to announce that USFS has sent me a gold medal for winning champ gold at ANs, because I'd like to win Champ Gold someday. They have also sent me certificates for passing my senior moves and gold dance tests, since I want to pass those tests and I'm working really hard to pass them. Awesome!!! :lol::lol::lol: Good job on the power pulls. I'm going to be retrying Pre-Juv MIF soon (I'm working on Pre-Juv and Gold simultaneously) and I've got to get the forward ones faster. I got marked 0.1 over on them when I passed Silver, but the judges for my Pre-Juv test deemed the forward ones too slow. :frus:

I would like to get a gold medal too, lol - and my club is now buying gold medals for skaters. Of course, at the rate I'm going, the world might run out of gold by the time I pass. Maybe I could get them to give me mine in advance....:halo:

RachelSk8er
10-09-2009, 10:01 AM
:lol: Good job on the power pulls. I'm going to be retrying Pre-Juv MIF soon (I'm working on Pre-Juv and Gold simultaneously) and I've got to get the forward ones faster. I got marked 0.1 over on them when I passed Silver, but the judges for my Pre-Juv test deemed the forward ones too slow. :frus:

Luckily on junior you don't have forward ones. You just get to do super fun quick rocker choctaws every 3rd power pull. And I'm not the only skater who's gotten to junior moves only to have their coach break down their backward power pulls and have to re-learn them (before you can even put the turns in) because they aren't 100% correct. I had to go up and down the ice doing backward power pulls with a hockey puck under the toepick of my free foot, it was NOT fun.

Does anyone else's coach use the hockey puck for stuff like that? I hate it. You can only do it on sessions that only have a few people, and even then it's scarry because it goes flying out from under you and you trip over it.

Skittl1321
10-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Does anyone else's coach use the hockey puck for stuff like that? I hate it. You can only do it on sessions that only have a few people, and even then it's scarry because it goes flying out from under you and you trip over it.

I've done the hockey puck thing and I don't think i'm a good enough skater for it. It is TERRIFYING.

My coach has also put swimming "jump rings" over my free foot, so that I'm motivated to not put it down and keep going. Because once you stop pulling, the only option is to fall. That is really unfair, IMO.

Kim to the Max
10-09-2009, 12:00 PM
oranges-->i like them much better than apples. In fact, i love oranges, so they will be my good category: had a good lesson today. I'm joining kim in the "junior moves power pulls progress" club, because they're getting so much better. Especially when i focus on not doing the "ex synchro skater" habit of putting my arms up (thus pulling my shoulders up and not staying down in my knee), and remember to keep everything pressed down.

woo hoo!!!!!

Kim to the Max
10-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Luckily on junior you don't have forward ones. You just get to do super fun quick rocker choctaws every 3rd power pull. And I'm not the only skater who's gotten to junior moves only to have their coach break down their backward power pulls and have to re-learn them (before you can even put the turns in) because they aren't 100% correct. I had to go up and down the ice doing backward power pulls with a hockey puck under the toepick of my free foot, it was NOT fun.

No hockey pucks, but laps and laps and laps of back power pulls...plus, the disgustingly difficult torture of doing them from a standstill with no pushes prior and making your way down the entire rink :( ugh! but, the torture helped...

Isk8NYC
10-09-2009, 12:09 PM
I've done the backward power pulls with the hockey puck, but it's really hard because I don't perform back power pulls with my foot that low to the ice normally. The puck gets away from me all the time, lol.

tazsk8s
10-09-2009, 01:12 PM
I've done the hockey puck thing and I don't think i'm a good enough skater for it. It is TERRIFYING.

Ugh - my coach has made me do these too, and I wholeheartedly agree. She even found a couple of spare pucks lying around at the rink once and gave me a "present" so I'd have one when I'm practicing and she's not around. Cruel and unusual punishment.

jazzpants
10-09-2009, 02:19 PM
the disgustingly difficult torture of doing them from a standstill with no pushes prior and making your way down the entire rink :( One word: EVILLE!!! :evil: (I just can't do this one!!! Just impossible!)

RachelSk8er
10-09-2009, 02:24 PM
No hockey pucks, but laps and laps and laps of back power pulls...plus, the disgustingly difficult torture of doing them from a standstill with no pushes prior and making your way down the entire rink :( ugh! but, the torture helped...

My synchro coach when I was skating senior would make us do a full lap forward on each foot (all the way around, no stroking around the ends) and a full lap backward on each foot. I suppose that may be where the bad habits came from though, becuase before my current coach got to me I used my free leg and too much.

Kim to the Max
10-09-2009, 02:53 PM
One word: EVILLE!!! :evil: (I just can't do this one!!! Just impossible!)

Very EVILLE!! But, overall, it was a good strength exercise and I my powerpulls have gotten better because of it. After I had that, we started adding the rockers from junior moves. And then there is the pull, turn-turn, pull, turn-turn, etc. all the way down the ice, that is EVILLE too!! And that was just temporary coach's tortures...that's not regular coach's tortures!!

RachelSk8er
10-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Very EVILLE!! But, overall, it was a good strength exercise and I my powerpulls have gotten better because of it. After I had that, we started adding the rockers from junior moves. And then there is the pull, turn-turn, pull, turn-turn, etc. all the way down the ice, that is EVILLE too!! And that was just temporary coach's tortures...that's not regular coach's tortures!!

The worst thing about this pattern...my coach made me start it at the boards from a standstill and go down the line on the short axis to focus on placing turns on either side of the line. This stupid pattern is scarry when you're practically at a standstill (because you feel like you can catch a rut and take one of those bad not-moving-much falls) and it's scarry when you're going too fast. Ugh. At least the choctaws aren't scarry, my hips just don't like them.

sk8joyful
10-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Due to idiotic work-schedules, & 2 resultant 8O health-conditions, I had not skated (at all for 7-months :frus: since Feb). - I hoped at least I could still stand up, lol
raspberries: I ably remembered, to just happily :) allow myself to play... and when I was ready to practice my edges, & practice my f.xo's, I did with big smiles/grins: I'm easy to please, lol
&
bananas: Soon, hopefully I can practice more routinely, so I can get back into classes, for progressing... :)

Skate@Delaware
10-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Was on the ice from 3-8 for skating/private lesson/group lesson....things were ok with private lesson. We ran through the pre-bronze MIF. I need to work on making my lobes on the 3-turn pattern rounder, and become more confident on the back edges. Other than that, it was good. We moved on to change foot spin and backspins. My change foot is really good; I almost fell on my backspin (not sure what happened-it went all crazy).

Group lesson was good, we worked on spins. My spins are here today/gone tomorrow lately but they were ok for the most part today; at least I'm landing my loop :roll:. I left shortly after group-I was tired and my feet hurt.

singerskates
10-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Apples and Oranges? Which is which?

Sinuse and ears starting to feel better after third time on antibiotics. First two times didn't work so well. After the first time on antibiotics (different kind this 3rd time), I thought I was doing OK and then I had a real good allergy attack and got backed up even though I was on antihistimines. I got so backed up that both ears had fluid in them and my head felt like it could blow off. Then after the 2nd time on the same antibiotic as the first, it didn't quite clear out the right ear. 6 days after finishing the 2nd perscription, the right ear and sinuse flared up big time. Back to the doc the third time. This time I'm noticing a difference right away plus I bought and am using Advil, Cold & Sinus Liquid Gels to help clear out the stuffyness and deal with the ear pain.

Anyway, for the last 2 and half weeks my spins were getting worse and worse until today. Today, I'm feeling quite a bit better but not out of the woods yet. It's like my middle ear has been compromised.

I could do the jumps most of the time but my spins were so bad because the infection had tons of fluid in my ears. Infact it took me 7 revs to finally center my forward corkscrew (my best spin) today before doing another 8 revs center.

I've also been having left hip pain when changing edge on my change edge spiral. And after jumping for half an hour (not consistantly), my left lower back and hip were throbbing. The only good thing was that even though I'm sick and I haven't lost much height in my jumps.

Kat12
10-10-2009, 10:04 AM
I will never be a skater. Not a real one (as opposed to "I skate, therefore I am a skater"). :(

dance2sk8
10-10-2009, 01:37 PM
I will never be a skater. Not a real one (as opposed to "I skate, therefore I am a skater"). :(

Yes you can! :) Enjoy skating....that's the hard part sometimes, but it helps when I get very frustrated on a particular task I am working on (i.e. camel spin) that I take a break and do something else I enjoy and am feeling comfortable with. That always helps me. We all have our good days and bad. Do you come to skate at DSC anymore?

kander
10-10-2009, 10:31 PM
I like apples and oranges so I'll have to skip the bad report this week. I went skating for the first time in a week today and did a better than I expected. Did a nice axel a some nice toe loops. I've altered my technique on the toe loop and almost overnight it's become 100 percent better. Yay! Old dogs can still learn new tricks.

Kat12
10-11-2009, 09:53 AM
I still skate at DSC for a few more weeks; I'm in the process of switching classes. Wish I could afford to take both, but oh well.

It's like I don't progress. At all. Sometimes I even seem to REgress. Yesterday we were doing edges and I just...can't...get...it...right. EDGES, for heaven's sake. If it were scratch spins or lutzes I was having problems with, that'd be one thing, but when my crossovers and edges still suck, it's no fun. I want to at least be able to do the basics. Otherwise it's like trying to learn piano only you find you can't hit the notes on even the most basic songs, no matter how much you practice. After a while you wonder why you bother when you have absolutely no talent whatsoever. Hard work is fun when you can see it is paying off. When it isn't, it feels more like a waste of time. At least for me, joy in doing something I like to do comes in part from actually being able to do it...when it's all failure, all the time, it's no longer enjoyable.

I have the same problem with dancing. I have been dancing for four years now, and at competitions I still do not place well even in the lowest level.

I'm just not athletic. Never have been, never will be. I'm a music and writing type geek, and am starting to realize I had it right when I was younger and didn't try anything athletic at all. It's like I have no control over my body and can't make it do what I want it to do, even though intellectually I understand what I'm supposed to be doing.

techskater
10-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Kat- I highly recommend a second opinion. Sometimes we regress to progress and sometimes we need fresh eyes to help the progress.

dance2sk8
10-11-2009, 10:29 AM
I still skate at DSC for a few more weeks; I'm in the process of switching classes. Wish I could afford to take both, but oh well.

It's like I don't progress. At all. Sometimes I even seem to REgress. Yesterday we were doing edges and I just...can't...get...it...right. EDGES, for heaven's sake. If it were scratch spins or lutzes I was having problems with, that'd be one thing, but when my crossovers and edges still suck, it's no fun. I want to at least be able to do the basics. Otherwise it's like trying to learn piano only you find you can't hit the notes on even the most basic songs, no matter how much you practice. After a while you wonder why you bother when you have absolutely no talent whatsoever. Hard work is fun when you can see it is paying off. When it isn't, it feels more like a waste of time. At least for me, joy in doing something I like to do comes in part from actually being able to do it...when it's all failure, all the time, it's no longer enjoyable.

I have the same problem with dancing. I have been dancing for four years now, and at competitions I still do not place well even in the lowest level.

I'm just not athletic. Never have been, never will be. I'm a music and writing type geek, and am starting to realize I had it right when I was younger and didn't try anything athletic at all. It's like I have no control over my body and can't make it do what I want it to do, even though intellectually I understand what I'm supposed to be doing.

Everyone runs into difficulty with skating. Its just a part of the sport and its definitely not easy. It takes time to learn things. But, if you don't enjoy skating, I understand. Don't be too hard on yourself though. Skate because its fun and you enjoy it.

You and I are alike when it comes to enjoying accomplishments. We live for that stuff. 8-)

I was there yesterday. Probably skating through you and Terry during edges. I was the tall one wearing black leggings, black leg warmers that were covering my boots, and practicing my program. I had on grey tank top and took off my black jacket during the session. I get too warm when I skate so it comes off after my warm up. My hair was in a bun.

dance2sk8
10-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Pineapples:

Surprised my coach with my flip jumps yesterday. They were amazing! I hadn't touched them in 3 weeks and now I don't over rotate on the 3 turn entry or make extra movement with my arms and free leg. She dropped jaw when she saw it. Was the first thing I wanted to show her when we started out lesson.
My spins were really pretty centered most of the time. Sit spin and scratch are now very consistent.
Twizzles are going really well now and can apply them after my salchow jump in my program.
My ballet jump is coming along already. Learned it this week. Placing that into my program.

Grapefruits:
My camel spins are definitely a hassle for me. I still am struggling with this but making myself work on them.

Kat12
10-11-2009, 03:04 PM
I was there yesterday. Probably skating through you and Terry during edges. I was the tall one wearing black leggings, black leg warmers that were covering my boots, and practicing my program.

Yep, I remember you! I was admiring you the whole time. :) I was the not-so-tall, inept-looking chick in all black with the white headscarf, lol.

I know looking comfortable on the ice is usually a feature of having skated a long time, but I sure wish I did! My mom came along to observe my new Friday night class and said I look "stiff" when I'm skating. Sometimes I'm aware of looking awkward but a lot of the time, when I'm doing stuff I know I know, I feel loose...but apparently don't look that way! I'm just not a graceful person, for one, so that's not helpful, lol, but oh well.

liz_on_ice
10-11-2009, 03:11 PM
I know looking comfortable on the ice is usually a feature of having skated a long time, but I sure wish I did! My mom came along to observe my new Friday night class and said I look "stiff" when I'm skating. Sometimes I'm aware of looking awkward but a lot of the time, when I'm doing stuff I know I know, I feel loose...but apparently don't look that way! I'm just not a graceful person, for one, so that's not helpful, lol, but oh well.

The painful truth is that what you feel like skating and what you look like are two very different things. You will discover this over again each and every time you see yourself on video. :giveup:

techskater
10-11-2009, 03:31 PM
And the first time watching yourself on video can be brutal.

sk8joyful
10-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I will never be a skater.
Not a real one (as opposed to "I skate, therefore I am a skater"). :(

Hi there,
I know just what you mean.

(when i 1st. ventured out unto the ice, i was so 'padded' I looked like a hockey-player, lol. I was agonizingly-slowly recovering from a serious condition, needing to stay padded-up, feeling majorly self-conscious; & crying - I asked a coach often, "how long before I become a skater?", and
she reponded: "What am I doing here, if you're not. Of course you are a skater!"
so one day, after I realized all that padding was interfering with my fxo's, I changed.)

I bought myself a pretty rainbow-colored Skatingdress, announcing "1st. the starry-dress, then the starry-skills, lol" - Cracked everyone up! giving me hi-5's ; but the best part: I started accepting myself as a skater ~ You can do likewise (as with all else you've learned as a little girl) while on the ice: simply Play, Pretend, Imagine & you will learn... with some phenomenal coaching/cheerleading. I wish you joy!!! on the ice...Kat :bow:

Skate@Delaware
10-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I have people (kids/adults in LTS) ask me "when will I be a real skater?" I tell them "you're wearing skates, aren't you? well, then you ARE a REAL skater! The minute you stepped onto the ice, you made it happen for real!"

some actually understand what I mean, others, it takes a bit longer.

dance2sk8
10-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Yep, I remember you! I was admiring you the whole time. :) I was the not-so-tall, inept-looking chick in all black with the white headscarf, lol.

I've done sports for a long time ranging from slalom water skiing (my newest adventure over the past 2 summers), basketball (yuck, did it for my dad for years), and track and field. I've ALWAYS wanted to figure skate since I was a child. My parents didn't want to put me in it. Not sure why, other than my father's dream of me becoming a pro basketball player. But, that wasn't in my heart. I skated here and there on public rinks watching people, never had a lesson until this past January. I started to skate at DSC on a friend's recommendation and have been hooked ever since. I've learned a lot in a short amount of time and adapted quickly. Its something that has come very natural to me and am ever so grateful for my coach! She has been a true blessing. However, I also skate 4 times a week, 2 hrs, and Saturdays - 3hrs...in between I take dance classes (on Tues) and do weights, when I can. Ok, I got off on a tangent. My bad! I can relate to the music thing, I played the trumpet for 6 years). So we have something in common. :)

sk8joyful
10-11-2009, 06:28 PM
I have people (kids/adults in LTS) ask me "when will I be a real skater?" I tell them "you're wearing skates, aren't you? well, then you ARE a REAL skater! The minute you stepped onto the ice, you made it happen for real!"

some actually understand what I mean, others, it takes a bit longer.

How true! both of these statements are; and while it's best to set goals, we want to achieve, it's equally really-important to ENJOY oneself ;) every practice . I can hardly wait 'til the day I can practice... as often as I want.

Skittl1321
10-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Apples I got my skates sharpened! This upcoming week WILL be a good skating week. I'm going to make it be one.

Oranges Skating has sucked lately. I've gone home in tears more than once. Let's not discuss it.

liz_on_ice
10-11-2009, 09:26 PM
oranges Brief practice on a public session with my daughter. She had a rough time getting used to new larger skates. Weight all in the wrong place, hard to bend her knees. Should be fine with time to get used to them.

apples Loops were good and spins were really on. Best of all, I found my skate guards I left last time I was at that rink in the lost and found yay!

dbny
10-11-2009, 10:25 PM
oranges Brief practice on a public session with my daughter. She had a rough time getting used to new larger skates. Weight all in the wrong place, hard to bend her knees. Should be fine with time to get used to them.

apples Loops were good and spins were really on. Best of all, I found my skate guards I left last time I was at that rink in the lost and found yay!

Which ones did you end up getting her?

Thanks for the reminder to check the "alternate" lost & found (the skate rental) for a friend's missing blade guards. I'm still hoping they weren't stolen, but they probably were :cry:.

Aploranges?
I really don't know how to rate this. I had a pretty good dance lesson Thursday, focussing on FO to FO transitions in the Dutch Waltz (20 minutes!) and the Canasta Tango. Then worked on those transitions again in my regular lesson on Friday. Thursday night I dreamed that I passed the DW, and failed the other two :roll:. The DW is the most difficult for me, so go figure. Just found out today that my test is scheduled for 9 PM Tuesday night. I'm better in the late afternoon, evening, but 9 is really late. Any suggestions on what to do about dinner? I was thinking maybe having something light around 6, since I usually have a very light breakfast around 10 and a very light lunch around 2.

Skate@Delaware
10-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Aploranges?
I really don't know how to rate this. I had a pretty good dance lesson Thursday, focussing on FO to FO transitions in the Dutch Waltz (20 minutes!) and the Canasta Tango. Then worked on those transitions again in my regular lesson on Friday. Thursday night I dreamed that I passed the DW, and failed the other two :roll:. The DW is the most difficult for me, so go figure. Just found out today that my test is scheduled for 9 PM Tuesday night. I'm better in the late afternoon, evening, but 9 is really late. Any suggestions on what to do about dinner? I was thinking maybe having something light around 6, since I usually have a very light breakfast around 10 and a very light lunch around 2.
I've found that eating 2 hrs before skating seems to hit it just right-far enough in advance to eliminate that "stuffed, just ate" feeling and for my body to start taking advantage of the "juice" from my meal. Before I skate a competition, I restrict my eating to a lite meal. PB&J, some broth/tomato soup and sips of gatorade. Make sure you get enough protein and carbs to tide you over, no sugar (or you will crash), and enough liquids to keep you from dehydrating (but not enough to keep you running-nerves will kick in and you'll do enough of that on your own).

You can eat bigger afterwards to celebrate :D

Laura H
10-12-2009, 09:00 AM
I have a comp coming up on 10/24 and am excited - everything is sort of falling into place this time!!

Apples:

Good group lesson which just *happened* to focus on the two FS 3 elements that I have the most trouble with - change foot spin and back pivot. Actually getting pretty close to getting the back outside pivot, I can make one beautiful circle in the ice (halfway there, I figure) and I learned how to exit it - so if I can just keep it together and get one extra rotation in there, I'll be all set!

Oranges:

but, of course when we laid my program out after the group lesson, it is the back inside that is seeming to fit better with the program. But the way it is choreographed, it is really a piece of cake to get into, so once I get used to the feel of it, I think it will go just fine.

More apples:

got the program all laid out and had a chance to run through it once with the music (actually twice, but the first was more like a walk through as we laid it out, so I'm not counting that one).

Oranges:

Backspin part of the change foot was a little wonky on Saturday, but coach gave me some good tips so I have some ideas to work on today and see if I can't make it a little more stable.

Apples (to the max!):

Coach is also making me a NEW DRESS and I got to try it on and I think it's going to be great!! It was the first try-on so she had some alterations to do, but she told me yesterday that those are all made and she started in on the "bling" (and I have absolutely NO idea how that is going to turn out, but I do trust her, so will just have to wait and be surprised!!).

liz_on_ice
10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Which ones did you end up getting her?

Thanks for the reminder to check the "alternate" lost & found (the skate rental) for a friend's missing blade guards. I'm still hoping they weren't stolen, but they probably were :cry:.

We got the Jacksons with the blue padding. She insisted on the bigger size than the fitter suggested. I know close fitting is good, but if she doesn't have toe room she won't want to skate, and she is growing so fast.

The rental desk didn't have my guards, but I dug them out of the office bin. They've been there a few weeks now, since the last time I was there.

Is that today you are testing? good luck! I guess everyone is different on the food thing - I skate best on a full tummy. Not stuffed, but comfortably full. That was the worst part of my 7am test sessions, had to do it on a protein bar and a cup of coffee.

dbny
10-13-2009, 12:23 PM
We got the Jacksons with the blue padding. She insisted on the bigger size than the fitter suggested. I know close fitting is good, but if she doesn't have toe room she won't want to skate, and she is growing so fast.

The rental desk didn't have my guards, but I dug them out of the office bin. They've been there a few weeks now, since the last time I was there.

Is that today you are testing? good luck! I guess everyone is different on the food thing - I skate best on a full tummy. Not stuffed, but comfortably full. That was the worst part of my 7am test sessions, had to do it on a protein bar and a cup of coffee.

Too big is quickly resolved in a fast growing child! :lol:

Glad you got your guards back.

Yup, tonight. I just had a sunny side up egg on multi-grain toast for breakfast (meant to have egg substitute, but forgot on my way to the fridge :roll:) and have pretty much decided on a moderate amount of sushi around 6 for dinner.