View Full Version : Legwarmers!

Kat12
09-29-2009, 06:17 AM
Does anyone wear them? What do you do once you get warmed up, since I assume you don't take your skates off to remove them? Just push them down around your ankles? Mine are the full-length kind that go all the way up my leg, if that matters.

(also sewers: is there a way to add that grippy stuff to the inside of stuff yourself? You know what I mean, right, it's sorta rubber-like, that keeps pants cuffs from sticking [I'll try to find an example later but right now I'm on my way to work]? My Pearl Izumi running tights have that stuff, and I think either SeKu or Chloe Noel pants also have it. i'd like to add some to the top cuff of my leg warmers because I can't keep them up for love or money, even with elastic garters...and maybe the grippy stuff, either by itself or along with garters, would help...)

stacyf419
09-29-2009, 06:41 AM
I know some friends who wear legwarmers while skating. I tried them once myself and my blade got stuck in one while doing a twizzle. Scared the cr*p out of me, and I haven't worn them since.

RachelSk8er
09-29-2009, 07:26 AM
I know some friends who wear legwarmers while skating. I tried them once myself and my blade got stuck in one while doing a twizzle. Scared the cr*p out of me, and I haven't worn them since.

Yeah I get scared of catching a pick and tripping, so I don't do legwarmers, even though the rink I skated at in grad school was the coldest rink ever and they would have come in handy. I never wear anything loose around my ankles (all the pants I skate in are fitted at the ankles, had a BAD fall once from catching a toepick at fast speed and smacked my head on the ice).

flo
09-29-2009, 08:45 AM
I wear them in the winter. Mine come up to just below the knee, so I don't have a problem with them falling down. They are also not baggy, so are pretty close to the leg.
I wear them the entire session, and they're not too warm. If you want something full length and removable, you might want to try the sweater pants with full zippers. They are warm, close fitting and removable after arm ups. I have two pair and love them.

RachelSk8er
09-29-2009, 09:13 AM
If you knit, you could also make leg warmers that button up the back or side. That way you can take them off. All you'd need to do is find a regular leg warmer pattern and modify it, it would be especially easy if you found one that was worked back and forth and seamed versus in the round. You'd then just need to throw in a yarnover K2tog button hole on one side every 3/4"-1".

dance2sk8
09-29-2009, 10:07 AM
I wear the long black leg warmers most of the time when I skate. I pull them over the back of my skate and all the bunched up part down. I like the look. :)

TreSk8sAZ
09-29-2009, 12:02 PM
I wear them in the winter when the rink is frigid, or when I'm wearing a skirt in the late autumn/winter/early spring months. I also have the ones that go up to just below the knee, and I've actually never seen legwarmers that were baggy (except in dance class, but that was from constantly pulling them on and off after a few months). My fit quite tightly.

There are different sizes in some brands, so just make sure you get ones that fit snug. I don't take mine off during the session, as usually they're only worn when it's so cold that they are the only things keeping my legs/feet warm! I imagine that if you have thigh-length ones and you scrunched them down by your ankle when you were done, you might then have the problem of catching them.

Kat12
09-29-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm thinking of wearing them for warm-up when wearing a skirt...so pants probably wouldn't work. And yes, they are quite snug; I bought them for dance but never wear them anymore because I no longer dance with the group where we practice outside in summer or in a freezing church in winter...Plus I got tired of trying to keep them up while bouncing around!

Skate@Delaware
09-29-2009, 06:40 PM
(also sewers: is there a way to add that grippy stuff to the inside of stuff yourself? You know what I mean, right, it's sorta rubber-like, that keeps pants cuffs from sticking [I'll try to find an example later but right now I'm on my way to work]? My Pearl Izumi running tights have that stuff, and I think either SeKu or Chloe Noel pants also have it. i'd like to add some to the top cuff of my leg warmers because I can't keep them up for love or money, even with elastic garters...and maybe the grippy stuff, either by itself or along with garters, would help...)
I believe this is the stuff http://www.sewsassy.com/Pages/Elastic.html#anchorGripperElastic
I've used it before (from this company-good service) but not for leg warmers LOL!

Kat12
09-29-2009, 08:56 PM
That's the stuff! Something has to keep these things up!

Skate@Delaware
09-30-2009, 08:22 AM
That's the stuff! Something has to keep these things up!
you could use hockey tape...works for the hockey boy's stockings!!! 8O