View Full Version : What did you learn and Pass in Learn To Skate?

FSWer
09-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Ok fellow Skaters!!! I'm not sure if this should be here...or in Skating Chat. But what I want to ask you today is...what you learned in Learn To Skate..and what you passed in Learn to Skate? For me I learned Swivles (sorry,I spelled that wrong),Marching Steps,to get myself away from the wall,and lifting one foot off the ice,while holding the wall. As well as how to fall.

I passed.....Falling and Recovery.

Anybody else?

Skittl1321
09-27-2009, 08:18 PM
I passed all of the USFS Basic 8 classes on my first try with Basic 1-4 combined in one session, then I passed Adult 2, then moved to ISI Gamma and Delta, and then Basic 7-8 combined in 1 session. The mazurka was the most difficult element for me.

I have passed Freestyle 1, 2, and 3. Freestyle 3 took me more than a year to pass. I expect to spend at least that much time in Freestyle 4. The elements don't come easily to me.

Our instructor doesn't test us in Freestyle levels until we are ready to pass, so we don't ever "fail" them. I think that's because a lot of the kids become very frustrated when they take a long time to pass, so he just doesn't mention the test until it is time to move up

FSWer
09-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I passed all of the USFS Basic 8 classes on my first try with Basic 1-4 combined in one session, then I passed Adult 2, then moved to ISI Gamma and Delta, and then Basic 7-8 combined in 1 session. The mazurka was the most difficult element for me.

I have passed Freestyle 1, 2, and 3. Freestyle 3 took me more than a year to pass. I expect to spend at least that much time in Freestyle 4. The elements don't come easily to me.

Our instructor doesn't test us in Freestyle levels until we are ready to pass, so we don't ever "fail" them. I think that's because a lot of the kids become very frustrated when they take a long time to pass, so he just doesn't mention the test until it is time to move up

HOW can you be READY to PASS? When you get good enough and skilled enough in your abilities as you go along...you Pass. There's really no way for a coach to know ahead of time. When you DO Pass,that's when you go on to the next Level.

Skittl1321
09-27-2009, 08:59 PM
HOW can you be READY to PASS? When you get good enough and skilled enough in your abilities as you go along...you Pass. There's really no way for a coach to know ahead of time. When you DO Pass,that's when you go on to the next Level.

He knows we are ready to pass because he can see in class that we can do the skills.

For example, right now one of the skills I have to do is waltz jump- loop jump. I've never successfully done it in class, so he know's I'm not ready to pass, because I can't do the element. Once I do it a few times in class, he'll give me a chance to take the test, because I already can do everything else.

I teach LTS and I can tell you when my Snowplow 1-3 kids, or Basic 1-2 kids are ready to pass, and which ones won't pass, even before I do the actual test. There are some kids who can't do swizzles or stop, so I know they aren't ready, and will repeat the level. There are other kids who might have a bad day on the test, but I know they can do the skills just fine, so they move up to the next level anyway.

FSWer
09-27-2009, 09:06 PM
He knows we are ready to pass because he can see in class that we can do the skills.

For example, right now one of the skills I have to do is waltz jump- loop jump. I've never successfully done it in class, so he know's I'm not ready to pass, because I can't do the element. Once I do it a few times in class, he'll give me a chance to take the test, because I already can do everything else.

I teach LTS and I can tell you when my Snowplow 1-3 kids, or Basic 1-2 kids are ready to pass, and which ones won't pass, even before I do the actual test. There are some kids who can't do swizzles or stop, so I know they aren't ready, and will repeat the level. There are other kids who might have a bad day on the test, but I know they can do the skills just fine, so they move up to the next level anyway.

So,he can at least see if your ready to try to pass ON YOUR OWN. Because a class Trains you for getting ready TO Pass Right?

Skittl1321
09-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Right. The point of taking the class is to learn the skills. So he knows if you can do them.

Mrs Redboots
09-28-2009, 09:42 AM
The skills that NISA (the UK skating association) requires you to pass before you may compete or start taking formal tests are listed here (http://www.iceskating.org.uk/skateuk/aboutskateuk). Actually, that site only lists the 10 learn-to-skate levels; before you can take proper tests you then have to have what's known as the Passport, which has three levels, and is specific to either free skating or dance. The dance one requires some quite difficult skills, when you consider how relatively easy the first compulsory dance test is!

londonicechamp
10-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Hi

Well, I am under the ISI system of ice skating.

I have passed the basic 5 levels, and also the FS level 1. I am now working on FS level 2 and 3 elements. That is equivalent to bronze level under the UK system, from which I understand.

londonicechamp

londonicechamp
10-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Hi

And yes, coach(es) always know whether you can do something or not. When you can do something, they will teach you something of a much more difficult level.

londonicechamp

sk8joyful
04-30-2010, 11:15 PM
what you learned in Learn To Skate..and what you passed in Learn to Skate?
For me I learned and Swivles,and lifting one foot off the ice,while holding the wall,
Marching Steps,to get myself away from the wall, As well as how to fall.
I passed.....Falling and Recovery.

Anybody else?

in ISI, learned: stand alone (lol) on center-ice, marching, swizzles, backward wiggles, Glides (2 & 1-ft.), 2-ft. hop, & falling/recovery. - And
I passed 'beginning-adult 2'.

next learned: Back wiggles (never could get how, so I hopped ;) them), & 1-ft. glides held to a 20-count, & forward swizzles (i luv sk8ing swizzles!) - And
I passed Pre-alpha.

next learned: Stroking, edges, Fxo's, & 1ft.snowplow Stop - And
I passed Alpha :)

(then by little hockey-heroes, on fxo's i got faceplanted 8O & I cont. regaining my courage). But in meantime, have played around with Slaloms, hockey-stops, 2-ft. spins, (3-turns, only at the barrier), Biellman spirals, back-swizzles, Lunges, bunny-hops, just starting back-stroking, & (waltz-jumps, R-hand assist on landing as I dont yet have back-edges).

I've needed a dependable!! Eve-job, so I can skate all mornings I want, for making progress I want.