View Full Version : Butterfly jump?

abbi_1990
09-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi,

I skate on a synchro team, and we are working out what we are going to do for our moves in isolation.

We either have to have 6 skaters doing one move or 3 pairs doing a pairs element. One of the pairs elements which is listed as a Level 2 is a Butterfly jump. Does anyone know what this is or have a link to a video of one?

Thanks

Skittl1321
09-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1CFXO4zGVE&feature=related

abbi_1990
09-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the video skittl1321

That looks really difficult! Do you know how it would be done in pairs?

The other moves that we could choose from are toeloop - toeloop, cross toe spin, inside spread eagle, spiral with change of edge or change of freeleg position. Is it just me, or do these seem like much easier elements than the butterfly jump in the video?

fsk8r
09-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the video skittl1321

That looks really difficult! Do you know how it would be done in pairs?

The other moves that we could choose from are toeloop - toeloop, cross toe spin, inside spread eagle, spiral with change of edge or change of freeleg position. Is it just me, or do these seem like much easier elements than the butterfly jump in the video?

I think when it's done in pairs you're holding your partners hand so that they're helping support you as you do the jump (I think the jump is like a waltz jump in a camel position but I could be completely wrong). After one person jumps, the other one can then come around and jump as well.

My team is doing the toe-toe combination for the moves in isolation. As you say a lot easier than doing butterflys (and getting enough people to do a nice spreadeagle).

Clarice
09-27-2009, 01:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63cmIfO-u6k

This is Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner at the 1979 Worlds. At around 2:50 they do their trademark pull Arabians - I think that's the same thing as what you're going for. If it's not, would somebody please explain the difference?

Skittl1321
09-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Wow that looked really cool! I'd never seen that.

That kind of looks like what it looks like when you hold hands and waltz jump, just taken much bigger and more vertical

abbi_1990
09-28-2009, 10:28 AM
fsk8r - unfortunatley we don't have enough skaters who can do toeloop-toeloop. We might end up with change edge spirals which won't get as many points but at least we have enough people to do them! Or we are considering doing pairs pivot spirals.

Clarice - the pull arabians look like what fsk8r described so i guess they are the same thing.

Thanks for the help everyone :)