View Full Version : What are you to Skating?

FSWer
09-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Say,we haven't done this thread in a while. But what are you to Skating? LOL,I forgot to add Learn to Skate Skater. So I marked Fan. Unless someone can fix it for me. Ok people.....GO!!!!!

phoenix
09-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Well, I do coach, so I checked that, though I'm certainly not qualified to coach someone to a high enough level to be famous. I also compete solo dance & teach learn to skate classes.

Pandora
09-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Well, I'm a freestylist, but not a competitor. Do you have any Recreational Skater? or Just Skate for Fun? ;)

FSWer
09-26-2009, 11:27 PM
I could ad those 3 if I knew how to edit a Poll.

Mrs Redboots
09-27-2009, 03:36 AM
You probably need to add a just plain "Coach", as there is a huge gap - which most people never cross, nor even want to - between Learn to Skate and becoming an elite competitor! After all, I don't think anybody on here aims to be elite - certainly none of the adults do - but many of us enjoy competitions! I ticked "ice dance competitor", but you have to bear in mind we do this for exercise and fun, as much as anything else.

CoachPA
09-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm a coach working with skaters from Tot (lowest level I coach) through Junior MIF (highest level I coach). I teach LTS, ice dance, MIF, freestyle, and occassionally assist with synchronized skating teams (beginner level and open collegiate).

Some of my students compete; however, only at the local level, and the majority of them test USFS.

FSWer
09-27-2009, 02:59 PM
You probably need to add a just plain "Coach", as there is a huge gap - which most people never cross, nor even want to - between Learn to Skate and becoming an elite competitor! After all, I don't think anybody on here aims to be elite - certainly none of the adults do - but many of us enjoy competitions! I ticked "ice dance competitor", but you have to bear in mind we do this for exercise and fun, as much as anything else.

How do I add to a Poll? Or can I do that? BTW. can someone please explain what qualifies a coach to teach a skater up to being famous? Or even a famous skater? Why can't you just be a good enough trained coach?

flo
09-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Hi there,
I compete in Pairs and I coach.

Kat12
09-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Some days I feel that I am to skating as crash dummies are to cars...

Mrs Redboots
09-28-2009, 09:38 AM
How do I add to a Poll? Or can I do that? BTW. can someone please explain what qualifies a coach to teach a skater up to being famous? Or even a famous skater? Why can't you just be a good enough trained coach?

I don't know how you edit a poll, I'm afraid.

As for teaching, it does differ in different countries - in the UK, there are various levels of coaching qualification, ranging from Level 1, where you can teach learn-to-skate classes under supervision, but are not yet a qualified coach, right up to Level 5, I think, which is the highest level.

However, even in the UK, you tend to qualify as an elite coach by training your skaters to become elite skaters! It feeds on itself - you get a child in learn-to-skate who has potential and who falls in love with the sport, and then his or her parents ask you to give them private lessons, and you do, and they pass their tests and go to competitions, and gradually get higher and higher, until they get as far as they are going to. For the vast majority, for 999 out of 1000 skaters, that isn't very far, and often life intervenes and skating stops being the be-all and end-all of everything. But if you are very, very lucky, that thousandth skater will be the one who goes to the very top - and who stays with you while she's getting there!

Then, of course, once you've trained one skater, or team, to the highest levels, you get "a name" and other skaters start coming to you for extra training, or even shift to you permanently.... so you end up being a top coach.

But for every Mishin or Joan Slater, there are hundreds of thousands of ordinary coaches slogging away in rinks all over the world, most of whose pupils are NISA Level 4 or under (that's about equivalent to USFSA Juvenile, or pre-Juvenile, I think, but I am never quite sure how the levels match up), with the occasional skater attempting doubles or even triples, but most not.

londonicechamp
10-01-2009, 12:05 AM
HI FSWer

Well, I do freestyle in figure skating. I do not compete though. I just take up ice skating as a hobby, and for meeting new friends.

Sorry, I do not know how you can add to a poll. Maybe if you e-mail this forum's administrator, that person will be able to help you. Good luck.

londonicechamp