View Full Version : Top Ten New Competition Event Ideas

2salch0w
09-21-2009, 09:09 PM
While watching Wipeout it occurred to me that we could have a pretty wild time holding a very different kind of skating competition, with events like these:

1. Rental Skate Challenge - You get handed a pair of rentals in your size just before the 6-minute warm-up, then good luck!

2. Program on a Public - We've all done it, trying to squeeze in your program on a light public session. But in this version, your competitors use the time to continue warming up while you have to do your program. Anything goes, so look out.

3. Ice Castle Special - Everyone competes blindfolded.

4. No Practice On-Your-Honor Open - The only rule is that you can't have practiced your program before the 6-minute warm-up. Ever.

5. Dizzy Bat Team Event - Each team member has to do 10 spins of the dizzy bat before doing their maneuver.

6. Bottoms Up - At the end of the 6-minute warmup, everyone downs 3 shots.

7. Spontaneous Pairs - Each competitor draws a name out of a hat, then they get 1 hour to put a routine together.

8. Bad Ice Crapfest - The rink promises to not do a cut for 3 days before the competition.

9. Nightmare Challenge - Each competitor has to spin the Nightmare Wheel, then do whatever comes up (which we have all had a dream about): skating in your underwear; skating in the wrong skates; you don't have your music; etc.

10. 3-Legged Dance - The guys left leg is loosely tied to the lady's right leg.

:)

Skittl1321
09-21-2009, 09:13 PM
3. Ice Castle Special - Everyone competes blindfolded.

Brian Boitano would kick all of our butts at this- after all
When Brian Boitano was in the olympics,
Skating for the gold,
He did two salchows and a triple lutz,
While wearing a blind fold.

4. No Practice On-Your-Honor Open - The only rule is that you can't have practiced your program before the 6-minute warm-up. Ever.
Sounds like an improv event. Those are a TON of fun. You hear the music for the first time then too.

Maybe take them before the warm up to give them some time to kick in. (My coach suggested I do a shot before my moves test to relax. As a very very infrequent drinker, I figured that would be a bad idea.)

hehee, fun post! I love your ideas.

sk8tmum
09-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Dodge the Hockey Skater: where everyone has to do a series of field moves while avoiding hockey skaters practicing acceleration, side stops and dives on the ice. Skater who best manages to maintain their smile, poise and not toe-pick anyone else, wins the event.

Followed up by ... Skate Aid Hurdles. In which skaters compete to jump over and around toddlers pushing skate aids around the ice, in time to the beat of "How Much is that Doggy in the Window".

And, last but not least: Scary Judge Mental Test. In which skaters go out by themselves, and attempt to convince a judge that they are really good at something, and then receive the opinion of the judges as to whether or not they're GOOD ENOUGH or if they NEED TO DO IT AGAIN. (oops, sorry, that one is already out there ... I think they also call it Test Day.)

Isk8NYC
09-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Can't think of a clever title right now, but here's how the event runs:

The coach explains a new maneuver or sequence, then demonstrates it to his/her student.
The student then proceeds to do something "that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike" the original element. (Apologies to the late Douglas Adams.)

Extra points if every foot, edge and turn direction is wrong.

Kudos for an interesting thread, 2salch0w.

flo
09-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Actually, I've suggested that we do the team events by drawing names at registration.

fsk8r
09-22-2009, 12:52 AM
One of the combined figures competitions is drawn pairs. You don't know what it going to be called (as in someone reads the steps and then you do them) and you have to skate around the circles staying opposite the drawn partner. It's not easy when you don't know what move you're going to do next.

londonicechamp
09-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi

What about wheels challenge? Basically, you play the game by blindfolding the first person's both eyes, and then the rest of the people line up behind this blindfolded person. Whatever this blindfolded person does, the rest of the people have to follow him.

This sounds challenging, right? ;)

londonicechamp

liz_on_ice
09-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Maybe take them before the warm up to give them some time to kick in. (My coach suggested I do a shot before my moves test to relax. As a very very infrequent drinker, I figured that would be a bad idea.)

I like this strategy but executing it before a 7am test session could yield unpredictable results :lol:

liz_on_ice
09-22-2009, 11:47 AM
"surprise prop"

You come with your music and program. As you take the ice for your program, you are given a prop (boa, fan, hoop, gymnastic ribbon, misc etc) and are required to incorporate it into your program and use it to interpret the music.

CoachPA
09-22-2009, 08:18 PM
I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread; however, these ideas rock! Of course, I don't think I'd want to try some of them, particularly the Rental Skate Challenge or the Bad Ice Crapfest, but I'd sure love to see 'em! :lol:

Kat12
09-22-2009, 09:36 PM

Hey, that reminds me of an event I'm itching to have at a Highland dance competition! Get together all of the dancers over 21 and have a drunken Fling...everybody does a shot of Scotch and whoever dances the best wins!

The coach explains a new maneuver or sequence, then demonstrates it to his/her student.
The student then proceeds to do something "that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike" the original element. (Apologies to the late Douglas Adams.)

Extra points if every foot, edge and turn direction is wrong.

I WOULD WIN THAT!!!!!!!!

How about Small Child Bowling, aka Frogger: similar to Program on a Public, but you have to maneuver around waist-high children, and you also have to wear a special reverse visor that doesn't allow you to see anything lower than, say, chest level, so you don't know where those kiddies are...whoever knocks over the fewest wins...

Or here's another one without a name: hockey players on the ice shooting pucks back and forth to each other; see how creative you can get with your jumps, spins, and footwork as you attempt to dodge the pucks...

RachelSk8er
09-22-2009, 10:00 PM
What about "compete in the oldest/ugliest skating costume you own"

We used to have practices for synchro or days at synchro camps where we all wore our oldest, ugliest, etc skating dress, or wore dresses/leggings (and other stuff) that totally clashed. It was fun.

When I coached, and a kid was late to practice unexcused, they had to wear something from my "ugly dress box" to the next practice. It was rather sad that I have so many ugly dresses that I have an entire (large) box...granted in the early 90s we never thought things like tropical print lycra skating dresses with pouffy sleeves, double layer (uber short fluffy) skirts and matching leggings were ugly. We were cool!

Ha ha I've done this before. Once in college at an intercollegiate I didn't feel like doing my program (or maybe I wanted to wear a different dress that totally didn't go, not sure) so I cut new music in the locker room earlier that day between my other events. And this was also my artistic at ANs in 08, I made it up on our 20 min warm-up.

We all did shots of pucker in the locker room before competing when I was on my last synchro team!

doubletoe
09-22-2009, 10:09 PM
I'd like to add a Back Spiral contest. All competitors take the ice at the same time. Last one standing wins.

flo
09-22-2009, 10:10 PM
"What about "compete in the oldest/ugliest skating costume you own"

This would make a great post competition skating party!

Mrs Redboots
09-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Who can take out the most other skaters in the warm-up?

(Oh, and by the way, for me, a shot of Scotch is an integral part of competing - at least, afterwards! Everybody laughs at my hip-flask, but that dram does help me come back down to earth, and those who know me know what an emotional competitor I am. Whisky & chocolate do help with the adrenaline crash!).

sk8lady
09-23-2009, 06:43 AM
How about "Anomalous Music Event"? Skate your regular program while the rink is playing the ugliest, loudest, most suggestive rap music they can find. Beat must be totally dissimilar to the original music chosen for the choreography.

liz_on_ice
09-23-2009, 01:08 PM
How about "Anomalous Music Event"? Skate your regular program while the rink is playing the ugliest, loudest, most suggestive rap music they can find. Beat must be totally dissimilar to the original music chosen for the choreography.

I think I'd like to try someting almost like that! Take all the disks for the flight and shuffle them. Everyone skates their own program to someone else's music. Extra points for skating to the music and ending on time. :D

RachelSk8er
09-23-2009, 04:51 PM

That totally needs to be the theme of the ANs competitors party one year. It would be so awesome!

doubletoe
09-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Who can take out the most other skaters in the warm-up?

Refer to "Ice Castles" event. :lol:
(There's a reason they didn't show the official warmup in the original movie!)

AgnesNitt
09-23-2009, 06:05 PM
You arrive at the rink for Special Figures, and draw the figure from a hat.

They are:
London Eye
Eiffel Tower
Great Wall of China
Statue of Liberty

Or:
You have to do a routine...on a single push staying on the same leg. Power pulls are allowed.

Or
The reverse, the routine must have two feet on the ice--so it's grapevines all the way.

fsk8r
09-24-2009, 01:08 AM

We had that at synchro practice the other week. There were members of a different team still in the rink and the coach didn't want them to hear our music, so she put on some random ugly music and made us skate the program to it. We were out of time. Now there's a surprise! But the spies left as soon as they heard the ugly music.

Mrs Redboots
09-24-2009, 11:26 AM

At some rinks, the café overlooks the ice pad, but is glassed off, and often very different music is playing in there - it is quite a fun game to watch the skater on the ice and try to guess whether she is skating to the music in the café or something completely different - all too often, it wouldn't make any difference, alas!

Isk8NYC
09-24-2009, 11:55 AM
000oooOOOooooOOOOO - How about the "no music" event where everyone can hear your every scritch and scratch? (I'd be DQ'ed in a heartbeat, lol)

celticprincess
09-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Broadway Star Challenge- you have to skate a full programme complete with jumps and spins AND sing at the same time.

Prettiest Fall- A contest based solely on the quality of the skater's falls. The one with the strangest and most original fall wins.

Dodge the skate guard- The competition committee selects the strictest, most vile person on the planet to be a skate guard at a semi busy public ice. Skaters have to do full jumps, spins, moves in field, spirals..without the skate guard seeing you and running over little kids.

katz in boots
09-25-2009, 04:59 AM
Prettiest Fall- A contest based solely on the quality of the skater's falls. The one with the strangest and most original fall wins.

Ooh, ooh, I am putting my hand up for that one!! I don't know about prettiest, but falling is one thing I've had lots of experience with. Hheck, I even fell on a metal cover on the pavement today in the rain. Went down, got up and kept going before I realised I'd fallen. I am so used to it! :lol:

As for events, Toe-pick Challenge? S/he who takes out the biggest chunk of ice & makes the biggest pick hole from a lutz or flip wins. Extra points awarded if ice is taken out as one chunk rather than smaller shards. :lol:

Ellyn
09-25-2009, 01:29 PM

So is the idea that the skaters try things they can't really do, or skate with their skates untied or the blades damaged or something, and fall by accident as a result?

Or can this be choreographed falls? A compulsory program with falls as required elements? That sounds safer and more fun.

Kat12
09-25-2009, 05:02 PM
^And of course, does the least-injured person also get more points?

techskater
09-25-2009, 05:57 PM
I'd like to add a Back Spiral contest. All competitors take the ice at the same time. Last one standing wins.

I would have won on yesterday's lesson. I almost took out three different coaches (not one of them is either of mine) AND the coach I was getting a lesson from was "blocking" for me! :roll:

NCSkater02
09-25-2009, 08:27 PM
000oooOOOooooOOOOO - How about the "no music" event where everyone can hear your every scritch and scratch? (I'd be DQ'ed in a heartbeat, lol)

I'd be right there with you in the DQ section. I cannot stay off my pics unless I really focus on it. Then I can't focus on anything else!

LilJen
09-25-2009, 08:34 PM

It would indeed. I know a synchro dress that MANY of our team would wear. . . ugliest $110 we ever bought. (I already cut mine up and used bits of the fabric in other stuff. Hideous.)

PS. Anyone who organizes ISI competitions: I hope you're taking notes for the surprise events.

LilJen
09-25-2009, 08:36 PM

Note: You are NOT allowed to get on the ice with your hard guards on. That would constitute cheating.

sk8lady
09-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Note: You are NOT allowed to get on the ice with your hard guards on. That would constitute cheating.

Yeah, that would have to be a separate event--last one left standing wins!

sk8tmum
09-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Skate Swap Event: everyone swaps skates with someone with skates of the same or nearly the same size and skates their program. Competitors may also choose to skate in their own skates, if the skates are being worn for only the first or second time.

flo
09-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Ha! I did the above a couple of weeks ago when I forgot my skates and borrowed a pair at the rink. Better than I thought - got through a pairs lesson. The first part we did things where I was in the air!

I'l looking for a unitard from the 80's for the party!

aussieskater
09-25-2009, 10:33 PM

I'll offer the variation which gives me the best chance of a large glitzy gold medal to go around the neck of the hideous dress - the "no music" event in which the loudest most consistent toepick scratching wins. (Edge rumbles constitute cheating.) I'm challenging for that gold ... :D

Kat12
09-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Competitors may also choose to skate in their own skates, if the skates are being worn for only the first or second time.

Aww, why would THAT make a difference? *snort* (MWAHA I will never forget my first time on my new skates....the belly flop I did first time I caught the toe pick, about my third time around the rink...oh, it was so bad. I remember thinking, "TOE PICK!" a la The Cutting Edge on the way down, and saying the same out loud right after I hit the ice...and then sitting in the hockey box trying not to barf since we'd just eaten a big lunch...oh, good times)

je
10-12-2009, 07:56 AM
I know this thread was from a few weeks ago, but as usual, I'm way behind in my reading.

Random Tempo Event: You skate your program to your music, but the music plays either faster or slower than the real tempo, and you don't know which ahead of time. Or maybe even better, the tempo speeds up and slows down unpredictably as you skate.

Johanna