View Full Version : Interpretive ideas needed!!!!!

sk8ergalgal
09-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi there. I am doing an interpretive in our next competition and I need song ideas. I would like something original and up beat preferably. All suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks :bow:

sk8ergalgal
09-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Anyone??? Please??

Pandora
09-22-2009, 12:52 PM
So you get to choose your own music? Or are you putting together the event? (Always thought that you only got to listen to the music at the time of the event...But then, I don't compete, so I have very little knowledge of this stuff)....:??
Well....not sure how original, but ....
Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend (Recently off Moulin Rouge Album). Very cool. Can use rheinstone necklace and bracelets. (If allowed props). Upbeat. Would probably do this if I were doing an interp....

doubletoe
09-22-2009, 04:37 PM
You may get more suggestions if you give your age and skating level and tell us something about your taste in music, movies, plays, etc. Also, what kind of personality or mood do you want to express in your interpretive program? Playful? Funny? Dramatic? Romantic?

sk8ergalgal
09-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Okay well I live in Canada and we do Interpretive differently. We can choose any music we want with or without vocals. When we enter an interpretive competition we need to submit a short description of our program and explain what kind of theme we are trying to portray. Our interpretive also need a theme title that the judges see before we compete. I am 18 and skating at the Gold Interpretive level. I have done songs from Mamma Mia, Grease, Scooby doo and Spirit in the past. I am looking for more of an upbeat song. Something original maybe even older. I want it to be fun but more mature at the same time.

doubletoe
09-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Okay well I live in Canada and we do Interpretive differently. We can choose any music we want with or without vocals. When we enter an interpretive competition we need to submit a short description of our program and explain what kind of theme we are trying to portray. Our interpretive also need a theme title that the judges see before we compete. I am 18 and skating at the Gold Interpretive level. I have done songs from Mamma Mia, Grease, Scooby doo and Spirit in the past. I am looking for more of an upbeat song. Something original maybe even older. I want it to be fun but more mature at the same time.

OK, interpetive in Canada sounds the same as Interpretive in the U.S. Just out of curiosity, what is the most difficult jump you are allowed to do in your interpretive program? Anyway, personally, I've always thought it would be fun to skate to "Walk Like An Egyptian" by the Bangles. :p It's a fun, upbeat song with a fun little gimmick and your judges will probably all remember it (that's always a plus!) Here's the original MTV video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHngF_b3NuE

sk8tmum
09-22-2009, 10:25 PM
"The Interpretive Program provides an avenue within which skaters can develop their ability to interpret music without the pressure created by the demand for technical difficulty in other programs. Skaters can take tests as individuals or as a couple(male/female, female/female, and male/male) at the following levels:
�� Introductory
�� Bronze
�� Silver
�� Gold
This program is a means of encouraging skaters to develop:
�� an understanding of the relationship between movement and rhythm patterns (music)
�� an awareness of their innate choreographic creativity
�� an ability to employ basic skating skills as vehicles of expression
�� an extensive repertoire of expressive movements
�� an increased confidence in their performance skills

The interpretive program consists of a variety of skating moves selected for their value in enhancing the skater’s interpretation of the music rather than for their technical difficulty. Jumps may be included, but credit will not be given for their technical difficulty. Credit for jumps and spins is based solely on the chosen theme, not merely a collection of pleasing or spectacular moves assembled to entertain an audience (exhibition/show program).

For this program any type of music may be used provided that the theme and music form a unified whole. In some cases, the music may provide the inspiration for the theme; in other cases a theme may be selected, then appropriate music chosen to convey it. Vocal music is permitted at all levels."

There's more, and this is just an excerpt from an entire manual on the subject (not to mention the Q&A) but, this is the gist of the idea from Skate Canada.

sk8ergalgal
09-22-2009, 10:30 PM
We can attempt any jump we would like and the judges credit the jumps solely on the chosen theme. They want to try to get away from people piecing together a bunch of spectacular moved like a show program would have.

sk8mum i was just reading the manuel again too.

fsk8r
09-23-2009, 01:00 AM
We can attempt any jump we would like and the judges credit the jumps solely on the chosen theme. They want to try to get away from people piecing together a bunch of spectacular moved like a show program would have.

sk8mum i was just reading the manuel again too.

Are you interested in doing the musical type theme again?
If you are, Wicked has some great music and isn't quite as common as some of the others, although it's not old. Defying Gravity is a great song and to me has a sorting of skating related theme.

Mrs Redboots
09-23-2009, 06:38 AM
You're the right sort of age for something from Grease - I did "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee", with a wig and a dressing-gown and pretty lace knickers underneath, hamming it up quite dreadfully. But that is only 1'40" and I have a feeling programmes in Canada tend to be longer - you could perhaps add the other Rizzo song ("The last thing I would do"), or just add some random music in at the beginning, or another song from the pyjama party scene....

sk8ergalgal
09-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Great ideas fsk8er i am going to listen to those suggestions now. Mrs. Redboots someone is already doing a grease interpretive from my club this year.. one of those medleys but thanks for the suggestions!! :D

sk8lady
09-23-2009, 06:48 PM
"Popular" from Wicked
Soundtrack from "Finding Nemo"
"Don't Fence Me In" (I like Harry Connick Jr.'s version)
"The Zamboni Song"
"Mambo Italiano"
"That's Amore"

ibreakhearts66
09-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Maybe it's not used a lot in Canada, but I've seen WAY too many Wicked programs in my area.

"Show Off" from The Drowsy Chaperone is just MADE for an interpretive event, I think. I did a program to it once, and DO plan on doing it again, but have been too busy to work on it.

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLDq-2e2JC0)'s a performance of it at the Tony Awards.

I've also seen a very nice interpretive to "I've got no strings" by Barbara Streisand.

sk8ergalgal
09-23-2009, 08:14 PM
I have never seen a wicked interpretive program before at any competitions that I have been too but I live in Northern Ontario. Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

fsk8r
09-24-2009, 01:12 AM
I have never seen a wicked interpretive program before at any competitions that I have been too but I live in Northern Ontario. Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

If you're thinking wicked I prefer Defying Gravity to Popular.
We skated it last year for synchro and then came across one other girl using it. and someone else did Popular.
I think these things go in waves. If no one else is using it, get in there first is my motto.

How about Hairspray? Although since I first heard that music I've heard several programs using bits of it. ABBA also have some nice pieces.

PinkLaces
09-24-2009, 08:25 AM
If you're thinking wicked I prefer Defying Gravity to Popular.

Other option from Wicked is For Good.There was a girl who did her senior solo in our ice show to that song last year. It was really beautiful.

My DD's solo was Roxie from Chicago. She had a lot of fun with that one.

ibreakhearts66
09-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Other option from Wicked is For Good.There was a girl who did her senior solo in our ice show to that song last year. It was really beautiful.

My DD's solo was Roxie from Chicago. She had a lot of fun with that one.

I also really like For Good, but OP sounds like she wants something more upbeat. BUT if you're willing to go for a dramatic, For Good is a beautiful song. I also really like "I'm Not that Girl."

Going along with The Wizard of Oz theme, The Wiz has some great stuff on it too. I can't think of the name off the top of my head, but I really like the scarecrow's song. No Bad News (the wicked witch's song) and the wizard's song (again, can't thing of the name off the top of my head) also seem like they have potential to be a cool interp program.

Finally, I did a program to "KidsL from Bye Bye Birdie a while back and it was a blast.

Man, this thread is making me think of all of the songs I want to use/re-use.

sk8tmum
09-24-2009, 10:31 AM
As a help to the OP: some of the music ideas are really good, those of you who are coming up with them, can you suggest a "theme" or a "story" - that's what they want you to pull together with an interpretive. I have seen interpretives fail when they are done like a show program, with kicks and turns done on beats of music sort of thing, or when they are flashy and just showing off the skater's skills, rather than having a thematic impression that runs through the whole thing. Because she's testing Gold, the expectation is pretty high in terms of looking at her interpretation of the music as well as the mechanics of the routine.

Mrs Redboots
09-24-2009, 11:32 AM
I do think Chicago is overdone now and needs to be rested (although it does have the advantage that at least the judges know it!)! Ditto that Roxanne tango - my heart sinks whenever I hear it! (There must be other songs from Moulin Rouge people could do, no?)

How about something from Les Mis - I did the wicked innkeeper one year, which was a huge success! And enormous fun to do....

sk8ergalgal
09-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Okay I would just like to clarify one small thing, this interpretive is completely for fun and I am not doing any tests with this program as I have already passed all my interpretive tests. I would just like to compete with it.

celticprincess
09-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Here are a couple that came to mind:

Spanish Rose-Bye Bye Birdie-I've had good luck with this song
'If They Could See Me Now'-Sweet Charity-Showy, my sis danced acro to this
'Le Jazz Hot'-Victor/Victoria-Flirty, showy,
'Sweet Georgia Brown'-flirty, starts off slow, but gets really fast
Out Tonight-Rent-Very rock N roll

Hopefully those helped:-)

techskater
09-24-2009, 07:12 PM
"Popular" from Wicked
Soundtrack from "Finding Nemo"
"Don't Fence Me In" (I like Harry Connick Jr.'s version)
"The Zamboni Song"
"Mambo Italiano"
"That's Amore"

Please, not Popular or Mambo Italiano! Those have been done to death

techskater
09-24-2009, 07:19 PM
How about something off the beaten path?

Walk this Way
Werewolves of London
Rinestone Cowboy

sk8ergalgal
09-25-2009, 10:16 PM
I am thinking about staying away from the whole broadway themed songs as I think I have done them enough. Has anyone heard anything about the Fame soundtrack having any good songs it?? I also like the song Believe by Suzie Mcneil but I had no idea what I would be interpreting in terms of a theme.

TreSk8sAZ
09-26-2009, 12:53 AM
I am thinking about staying away from the whole broadway themed songs as I think I have done them enough. Has anyone heard anything about the Fame soundtrack having any good songs it??

Just FYI, since you said you wanted to stay away from Broadway..... Fame was originally a movie musical in 1980, then became a stage musical, and is now going back to movie.. So the songs have been around quite awhile and could be considered Broadway-ish... But they are also really good.

fsk8r
09-26-2009, 05:35 AM
Just FYI, since you said you wanted to stay away from Broadway..... Fame was originally a movie musical in 1980, then became a stage musical, and is now going back to movie.. So the songs have been around quite awhile and could be considered Broadway-ish... But they are also really good.

Yeah, but the theme from the 80s (can't remember if there was a TV show as well or just a movie) had the whole, "I want to live forever, I want to learn how to fly" bit with the big split jump. I always thought that was very skateable back then when I was little and hadn't ever seen an ice rink!

How about Flashdance from a similar sort of era?

Mrs Redboots
09-26-2009, 06:10 AM
Yeah, but the theme from the 80s (can't remember if there was a TV show as well or just a movie) had the whole, "I want to live forever, I want to learn how to fly" bit with the big split jump. I always thought that was very skateable back then when I was little and hadn't ever seen an ice rink!

Slightly off-topic, but yes, it was a TV show - a bit more soap-opera-ish than the movie, but still worth watching.

If you don't want to do a broadway musical thing, how about a folk or country ballad? Or even a pop song. I did Puppet on a String once, and also
Rolf Harris' Jake the Peg, which was great fun (but had the problem, with which I am still wrestling, of How Do You Follow That?).