View Full Version : New Jersey Skating - 9/21 - 24/2009

Isk8NYC
09-19-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm heading up to New Jersey next week and I was wondering what rinks are open, have decent sessions, Skatingforums skaters, etc. etc.

I'm not planning to go into NYC - not in the mood for mass transit or traffic. A ride on the Turnpike or Parkway is more likely.

My driving range is New Brunswick to Hackensack (although I could be persuaded to make a pilgrimage to Dietl's) and the Hudson to Route 23.

I'm also up for an evening skate and dinner, if anyone else is interested.

Elly86
09-20-2009, 06:11 PM
If you follow Rt. 23 North for a while, Skylands Ice World in Stockholm is a nice, quiet rink that doesn't usually get too crowded. That's where I skate. There are freestyles around 3-5pm every weekday, and public skate from 1-2:30pm.

http://www.skylandsnj.com/

There's also Ice Vault in Wayne (never been there) and, of course, Ice House in Hackensack. Mennen Arena in Morristown is also popular. There's a few more, but I'm not too familiar with them.

Enjoy your trip! I'm in the North Jersey area, so feel free to message me if you need anything. :)

renatele
09-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Not sure if I can make it to meet up this time ... unless you learn of some decent evening session (6 pm or later) - LMK then! I am up for a dinner, but it is possible that I'd need to take my son along. PMing you my work e-mail/cell phone #.

2salch0w
09-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Princeton Sports Center in South Brunswick (just off Route 1, about 8 miles south of New Brunswick) has quite a few FS sessions this week. Go to PrincetonSportsCenter.com to check out all the times. On Wednesday morning I'll be opening up for 6:30-8:30AM, which will be totally empty this week.

There is also a Wed and Thurs evening FS, and if you're free mid-day, there should be public sessions that are empty because the kids are in school.

Bridgewater Sports Arena, at the 287 and Route 22 intersection, is also a good location for you, but I don't know their sked.

Enjoy the visit.

Tim

I'm heading up to New Jersey next week and I was wondering what rinks are open, have decent sessions, Skatingforums skaters, etc. etc.

I'm not planning to go into NYC - not in the mood for mass transit or traffic. A ride on the Turnpike or Parkway is more likely.

My driving range is New Brunswick to Hackensack (although I could be persuaded to make a pilgrimage to Dietl's) and the Hudson to Route 23.

I'm also up for an evening skate and dinner, if anyone else is interested.

Isk8NYC
09-21-2009, 11:07 PM
I hadn't looked at that rink - I figured that it was all the way down in Princeton. Their schedule says the early-morning FS is "pass only." Does that mean no walkons?

stacyf419
09-22-2009, 06:09 AM
I hadn't looked at that rink - I figured that it was all the way down in Princeton. Their schedule says the early-morning FS is "pass only." Does that mean no walkons?

You can use my pass, as I can't make it tomorrow - Tim, sign her on as me!
It's an awesome session. Usually me, Tim & maybe one other person. Have fun!

Isk8NYC
09-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Thank you! That's so nice of you. I'll see if I can make the session tomorrow and still get to work on time for my meeting.

Had a great time at Fritz Dietl's tonight. I hadn't realized that the rink was sand-based. I'm the loudest skater in the world, lol.

I think Renatele and I are skating Thursday night at South Mountain Arena, if anyone's interested in joining us.

looplover
09-23-2009, 06:11 AM
I'm so late in posting this! Try Floyd Hall Arena at Montclair State, maybe? I haven't been there in a long time but hey, it's right off Rt. 46.