View Full Version : Custom skate brands and diffrent foot types.

spiralina15
09-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Does anyone have any information on the best custom skate brand(s) for my foot type? I have heard that certain brands are better for certain foot types.

I have had to pairs of skates and neither one fits properly (Riedell Bronze Medallion and Jackson Competitor). I am currently wearing the Jackson skates because my Riedell skates felt way too big. When my foot tracing is measured it comes up that I wear a size 10 but wen my feet themselves are measured one is between a 7 and a 7.5 and the other is between a 7.5 and an 8. For my Jackson skates I was measured using a Jackson ruler and told the perfect size for me to get would be an 8A. Lengthwise my Jackson skates were perfect for several months although my arch was in pain (My feet are pronated). Recently my Jackson has started to fill too long. I have extra insoles and sponges in the toe box. But if my cushioning is not positioned just right it really takes a toll on my skating (one time a cushion moved in one of my skates and I could not feel my feet which resulted in me tripping over my feet on my footwork sequence and Lutz jump). I have narrow feet, a small heel, and my toes all point straight ahead.

jp1andOnly
09-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Have you lost any weight? Changes in weight actually do affect the feet a lot. I went down 2 shoe sizes when I lost weight.

Does anyone have any information on the best custom skate brand(s) for my foot type? I have heard that certain brands are better for certain foot types.

I have had to pairs of skates and neither one fits properly (Riedell Bronze Medallion and Jackson Competitor). I am currently wearing the Jackson skates because my Riedell skates felt way too big. When my foot tracing is measured it comes up that I wear a size 10 but wen my feet themselves are measured one is between a 7 and a 7.5 and the other is between a 7.5 and an 8. For my Jackson skates I was measured using a Jackson ruler and told the perfect size for me to get would be an 8A. Lengthwise my Jackson skates were perfect for several months although my arch was in pain (My feet are pronated). Recently my Jackson has started to fill too long. I have extra insoles and sponges in the toe box. But if my cushioning is not positioned just right it really takes a toll on my skating (one time a cushion moved in one of my skates and I could not feel my feet which resulted in me tripping over my feet on my footwork sequence and Lutz jump). I have narrow feet, a small heel, and my toes all point straight ahead.

SkatEn
09-15-2009, 11:05 PM

Do you have anything to correct your pronation in your skates? It helps a lot. I have arch cushion to support my arches.

When you say you have extra insoles and sponges in the toe box, did you put them there yourself? You should get a new pair of skates if possible because the extra insoles will make your distance further away from your blade and you have less control over the blade, IMO. Also, I had skates too big and put sponge in the toe, but I realised that it makes the toepick even further away from my feet!

Which cushion are you talking about that moved?

About custom skates, if they are custom made to measure for your feet, they should all cater to your feet. However, the semicustom that simply let your order split widths, different sizing, is different. You may want to get your feet measured by an authorised dealer, and I don't remember when it's best. I know that feet will swell either in the afternoon or evening... Also measure your feet in socks that you wear to skate.

spiralina15
09-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Do you have anything to correct your pronation in your skates? It helps a lot. I have arch cushion to support my arches.

When you say you have extra insoles and sponges in the toe box, did you put them there yourself? You should get a new pair of skates if possible because the extra insoles will make your distance further away from your blade and you have less control over the blade, IMO. Also, I had skates too big and put sponge in the toe, but I realised that it makes the toepick even further away from my feet!

Which cushion are you talking about that moved?

About custom skates, if they are custom made to measure for your feet, they should all cater to your feet. However, the semicustom that simply let your order split widths, different sizing, is different. You may want to get your feet measured by an authorised dealer, and I don't remember when it's best. I know that feet will swell either in the afternoon or evening... Also measure your feet in socks that you wear to skate.

I put the cushions in myself. I have an arch cushion and an insole specifically for my pronation in my skate.

doubletoe
09-15-2009, 11:19 PM

It's also quite possible that it isn't the brand that's the problem, but the person measuring your feet.
Can you explain what do you mean that your toes all point straight ahead? Are your toes lined up pretty evenly so that they are straight across and wide in the toes, or do you have a tapered toe shape (i.e., longest point is your big toe or middle toe and your foot tapers down toward the pinkie toe)? The skaters I know who have a tapered toe shape seem to like the way Harlicks fit. My feet are wide and straight across in the toes and SP Teris seem to work for me. Regardless of what brand you get, it does sound like you might need orthotics.

SkatEn
09-16-2009, 02:06 AM
I put the cushions in myself. I have an arch cushion and an insole specifically for my pronation in my skate.

Where are the cushions and what are they for?

Skates are supposed to be a very snug fit. Many people can't find the perfect fit the first time around - sometimes it's the make of the boot or the size.

Hope it works out for you!

Skate@Delaware
09-16-2009, 07:09 AM
the person measuring your feet should be able to tell you what size you heel and ball are for the boot he/she is measuring you for. If he/she can't do that, then you need to find another person to fit you (you could call each manufacturer for info). It is quite possible you are not in the right size boot for your foot and you need a smaller size if you have too much room, you should have just enough room to wiggle your toes but not feel squinched anywhere; your boots should hug your heel.

Jacksons are very good for fitting narrow heels and wide balls of feet and you can get a variety of sizes either stock (off the shelf) all the way through customs. If your ball & heel size varies by only one size difference you can get a boot variation called split-sizing. Anything larger than that is full-out custom. I am not familiar with any other brand (I wear Jacksons).

spiralina15
09-16-2009, 11:27 AM
It's also quite possible that it isn't the brand that's the problem, but the person measuring your feet.
Can you explain what do you mean that your toes all point straight ahead? Are your toes lined up pretty evenly so that they are straight across and wide in the toes, or do you have a tapered toe shape (i.e., longest point is your big toe or middle toe and your foot tapers down toward the pinkie toe)? The skaters I know who have a tapered toe shape seem to like the way Harlicks fit. My feet are wide and straight across in the toes and SP Teris seem to work for me. Regardless of what brand you get, it does sound like you might need orthotics.

When I wrote my toes point strait ahead I meant that I do not have bunions or hammertoes. My toes are tapered.

spiralina15
09-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Where are the cushions and what are they for?

Skates are supposed to be a very snug fit. Many people can't find the perfect fit the first time around - sometimes it's the make of the boot or the size.

Hope it works out for you!

The cushions are in my toe box. I put cushions in my skate to keep my toes from sliding forward when I'm skating.

spiralina15
09-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Have you lost any weight? Changes in weight actually do affect the feet a lot. I went down 2 shoe sizes when I lost weight.

I don't know if I have lost any weight (I am too scared to get on the scale:lol:). But I have cut about 500-1000 calories a day out of my diet. I have also recently started to do strength training every other day (Although I do not do cardio).

So there is a possibility I have lost some weight.

sk8tmum
09-16-2009, 01:53 PM
but wen my feet themselves are measured one is between a 7 and a 7.5 and the other is between a 7.5 and an 8. For my Jackson skates I was measured using a Jackson ruler and told the perfect size for me to get would be an 8A. .

About the different size measurement. Is this something that you've discovered in fitting street shoes? If it is, then, it sounds like you've got different sized feet, which will be a challenge (if it's a full size) in getting off the rack skates. If it's not something that you expect, then, likely the first fitter was measuring you incorrectly. If it is something that you expect, then, the second fitter was perhaps in error.

spiralina15
09-16-2009, 06:22 PM
About the different size measurement. Is this something that you've discovered in fitting street shoes? If it is, then, it sounds like you've got different sized feet, which will be a challenge (if it's a full size) in getting off the rack skates. If it's not something that you expect, then, likely the first fitter was measuring you incorrectly. If it is something that you expect, then, the second fitter was perhaps in error.

Actually this doesn't happen with street shoes both my feet are exactly a size 8. Funny thing is whenever I am being fitted for skates the fitter always says my feet are narrow but when I get fitted for street shoes my feet are a regular width. Skates must come wider than street shoes because I have to get a narrow width when I buy skates (otherwise my feet will slip out of my skates).

jp1andOnly
09-17-2009, 08:42 PM
If you have cut calories, chances are you are losing weight. DO NOT get new skates if that is your goal. I got my skates and they were Graf Edmonton Specials ($$$) 6 months later I was swimming in them and had to get new ones ($$$$) Not fun. My blades could not be reused as they were too long..so lets just say it was a costly 800 x2 lesson 8O

Skates are VERY different then street shoes. In street shoes I wear a 7-8, average to wide width. I have Jackson boots and I'm in a 6.5AA. I'm due for new skates and will probably go with a 6.5 A width. I have a wide toe box and narrow heel.

Actually this doesn't happen with street shoes both my feet are exactly a size 8. Funny thing is whenever I am being fitted for skates the fitter always says my feet are narrow but when I get fitted for street shoes my feet are a regular width. Skates must come wider than street shoes because I have to get a narrow width when I buy skates (otherwise my feet will slip out of my skates).

Query
09-18-2009, 03:16 PM
I think it is possible that almost any good custom skate maker can fit almost any feet - if you go to the factory for the fitting and adjustments. That lets them figure out how to do a full 3 dimensional fit, whereas just taking measurements is a lot less specific.

It is also possible that they can do fairly well if you have foot casts made - though even that is imperfect, because the fitter might not get the balance right (e.g., if you sit or stand on both feet at once when ), or might have you put too little or too much weight on your foot (it is important that your feet be comfortable and healthy in the fit configuration, because feet are pretty much forced by the tight fit into the shape the boot imposes on you - not like regular shoes, which are more flexible and less tight). It is also important that room is allowed for in front of or to the sides of your toes - maybe that means you need to mold with foam between your toes, and/or foam strips on the sides and front - you'd have to ask the manufacturer.

But, AFACT, the master boot maker at the factory is usually the best person to do the fit and modifications.

With other fitters, it's the luck of the draw, whether they do it right, and whether the factory guesses the right full foot shape from the measurements and tracings and imprints.

If they do it right, orthotics are superfluous. Though I suppose you might do a casting with orthotics included, if your foot doctor says your feet need to be forced into a configuration different than what they naturally assume.

However, you can fairly easily modify boot shape and fit by adding in stuff, (I use athletic tape under the insole, and moleskin on the leather), and/or by stretching the leather in places. You just have to experiment, until everything feels the way you want. Personally, I'd rather start from a slightly oversized boot, because it is easier to tape or glue stuff in than to stretch leather, so if you aren't losing billions and billions of pounds, it might not be a big deal.

I've never tried sponges. How well do they work? Seems to me it would be hard to keep them in place, and they might be too squishy, but maybe they are OK.