View Full Version : Your routine as a skater at the Rink.

FSWer
09-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Say,what is everyone's routine as a skater here at their Rink? Here's mine....I go in,register with my Skate Passes at the Desk,chat with the girls there who have become my friends (if there's time). Then go in and put on my skates and hit the ice. I then skate around for about 2 hrs. or less, and chat with friends in the Rink that I've made at Public Skate. After Public I usually go get something at the canteen then go. Ok fellow skaters!!!...What's YOUR routine?

liz_on_ice
09-15-2009, 08:55 PM
my routine, such as it is (weekends are different)

scramble blearily into clothes, laid out night before, grab bags, stumble to subway. Walk briskly to the rink, maybe picking up banana or protein bar for breakfast on the way. Leave FS ticket at the desk, get cheery good morning from very nice desk clerk. Stretch. Swap sneakers for skates, get journal and cash for lesson and stow everything else. After lesson, practice for the rest of the session. Change back to sneakers, grab all stuff and trot for the bus. Write down lesson notes in journal on the bus, switch to subway to office. At the office detour to bathroom and change into work clothes. Proceed with day pretending to be a normal person.

Skate@Delaware
09-16-2009, 07:14 AM
I stop by the front desk to sign in and pay then head to the lobby to drop my gear. I sometimes change at the rink, so then I head to the ladies room and get dressed (under armour, leggings, gel crash pads, short & long sleeve t-shirt, jacket, gloves, and tie my hair back), otherwise if I'm already dressed I get my skates on and get my gear together put my guards on and head on down. Then, when the zamboni door has shut I'm on the ice.

Here is what I bring rink-side: water bottle, iPod, cell phone (my son has been sick so I need to keep an ear out for him calling), moves cards (printed up flash cards with the patterns on them), and my champion cords (my latest best friend).

londonicechamp
09-19-2009, 04:07 AM
Hi

Well, for me, it is show the counter my lesson ticket (if having lesson) or buy student practice ticket, then warm up, then change to my skating boots, then put the stuff in the locker.

I normally drink about 250 ml of water, before I go onto the ice, as I sweat a lot after about 30 minutes of skating.

londonicechamp

FSWer
09-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Hi

Well, for me, it is show the counter my lesson ticket (if having lesson) or buy student practice ticket, then warm up, then change to my skating boots, then put the stuff in the locker.

I normally drink about 250 ml of water, before I go onto the ice, as I sweat a lot after about 30 minutes of skating.

londonicechamp

Interesting.I've never heard of needing a ticket for a lesson.

londonicechamp
09-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi FSWer

Well, at my rink, you do have to show your lesson schedule (that is your ticket) to the reception, so that they can register you as having shown up for the lesson.

londonicechamp

FSWer
09-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi FSWer

Well, at my rink, you do have to show your lesson schedule (that is your ticket) to the reception, so that they can register you as having shown up for the lesson.

londonicechamp

That's interesting. What is THE reason for that? Do too many skaters play hookie from their lessons? Any othe routines?

londonicechamp
09-20-2009, 01:31 AM
Hi FSWer

I think that at my rink, students are required to show their lesson schedule to the reception (otherwise known as the counter), as there are a lot of last minute cancellations. In fact, my coach's students on Thursday almost always have last minute cancellations, and so she would e-mail me, to put the lesson time backwards or forwards. It is not unusual for the management at my home rink to ring students, to check whether they are showing up for their lessons. 8O

Well, when I have lessons on Tuesday evening, my mom would come to watch me before my lesson (actually, she also watches my lesson if she is in town). My mom usually shows up 20 minutes before my lesson, and gives me some snacks (some kind of buns to eat), then allow me back onto the ice again. That is because on the day of my lesson (on Tue), I practise for an hour and 15 minutes before my lesson, and if I do not have something to eat, I almost always run out of energy during my lesson. :giveup:

londonicechamp

FSWer
09-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Hi FSWer

I think that at my rink, students are required to show their lesson schedule to the reception (otherwise known as the counter), as there are a lot of last minute cancellations. In fact, my coach's students on Thursday almost always have last minute cancellations, and so she would e-mail me, to put the lesson time backwards or forwards. It is not unusual for the management at my home rink to ring students, to check whether they are showing up for their lessons. 8O

Well, when I have lessons on Tuesday evening, my mom would come to watch me before my lesson (actually, she also watches my lesson if she is in town). My mom usually shows up 20 minutes before my lesson, and gives me some snacks (some kind of buns to eat), then allow me back onto the ice again. That is because on the day of my lesson (on Tue), I practise for an hour and 15 minutes before my lesson, and if I do not have something to eat, I almost always run out of energy during my lesson. :giveup:

londonicechamp

Can you please explain what you mean by putting lesson time backwards/forwards?

Clarice
09-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Can you please explain what you mean by putting lesson time backwards/forwards?

I think it means rescheduling the lesson either earlier or later than the original time.

londonicechamp
09-21-2009, 02:22 AM
Hi FSWer

Yes, putting lesson time backwards/forwards is exactly what Clarice stated, meaning rescheduling the lesson time either earlier or later than the original lesson time.

londonicechamp

dance2sk8
09-21-2009, 09:55 AM
My Schedule:

Monday: Skate 5:20pm and 6:05pm sessions - Coaching lesson on the 6:05pm sessions
Tuesday: Ballet Class at 6:45pm and Jazz/Hip Hop Class at 7:30pm
Wednesday: Skate at 5:00pm - Lesson with coach
Thursday: Off Day
Friday: Skate at 5:20pm session
Saturday: Skate 9:00am, 9:45am and 12:10 sessions with off ice training in the middle - Coaching lesson as well.

When I arrive to the rink:
I always arrive 30-35 minutes earlier than the sessions I plan to skate on. I check in at the desk, go to my locker and drop off my stuff. Go out to C rink and warm up for 25 minutes. This includes:

Jogging to get warmed up and blood flowing
Dynamic stretching
Side kicks and kick backs (warm up hips and work on flexibility)
back catch and y spiral positioning
Upper body warm up
Sit spin bending, knees - get them ready for working out on the ice
Jumping exercises and rotation along with off ice axel, loop jump, salchow, flip, and waltz.

Afterwards, go get my skates on and hit the ice. Warm up on there includes:

Power pulls (forward and backward)
Forward rolls
Backward rolls
Forward and backward cross overs
And finally edges

Skittl1321
09-21-2009, 10:18 AM
My goodness dance2sk8 you are busy! Do you have 36 hour days where you live? Because I know you do a lot outside the rink too!

Skittl1321
09-21-2009, 10:21 AM
My schedule:

Tuesday: Teach LTS at 5:45, take group lesson at 6:15. Lately this has become a moves lesson. If my husband is out of town and the public skate after LTS in uncrowded I may stay and practice, but that is unlikely.

Wednesday: Bust my butt to get home from work, changed and to the rink with skates on by 4:30. Usually don't get skates on until 4:35. Lesson starts when I hit the ice. 30 minute lesson and then 20 minute practice. Practice time often involves gawking at high level skater and pairs teams. Hang around rink for an hour and then go to synchro off ice, be annoyed that most people show up 30 minutes late for 1 hr session. (I think the coach is going to shorten this, and then I'll go home between freestyle and synchro) 1 hour synchro on ice practice. Go home exhausted and watch Glee on the computer recorder because I'm too pumped up to sleep.

Saturday: Set alarm for 7:30, roll over and think "nah, not today" or go to 8:00 session. The "nah, not today" seems to be winning a lot lately.

dance2sk8
09-21-2009, 02:32 PM
My goodness dance2sk8 you are busy! Do you have 36 hour days where you live? Because I know you do a lot outside the rink too!

As you are well aware, and am very sad to report...... :( Water skiing season is just about over due to shortening days and cooler water temps. I ski on the weekends when I can get time in. My focus now is skating since I am competing in January!!! Yikes! 8O Hope all is well in Iowa!