View Full Version : Sewing Bra in dress - is it hard?

katz in boots
09-12-2009, 10:21 PM
I am sure this has been discussed before but couldn't find it.

I'm making a dress for a girl, it is a sleeveless raglan design (if you know what I mean) with a strappy back, so a regular bra would show. Halter neck might work, but it'd be best if she didn't need to wear one.

How hard is it to sew bra cups into a dress without it showing? The fabric will be either a glitter velvet or a hologram lycra, but I can sew the bra bits to the lining. Any hints for how to do this so that it doesn't show and has a professional finish?

sk8tmum
09-13-2009, 12:39 AM
Couple of questions:

a) how much support does she need if that's not too personal: is it a A Cup or C Cup or more? If it's a small amount of support needed, a shelf bra could work ... which would be easier and smoother than the actual bra cups.

b) have you checked the dance supply stores for a bra that could work under the dress? We've had some great success with some of the ones that have various strap configurations and/or have a clear strap (the wide matte finish ones are great, and basically invisible on ice) across the back. I know you don't want to use an actual bra, but, some of the newer versions are quite nice.

katz in boots
09-13-2009, 03:35 AM
a) how much support does she need if that's not too personal: is it a A Cup or C Cup or more? If it's a small amount of support needed, a shelf bra could work ... which would be easier and smoother than the actual bra cups.

Not sure, probabaly an A or B at the most. How do you put in a shelf bra?

b) have you checked the dance supply stores for a bra that could work under the dress? We've had some great success with some of the ones that have various strap configurations and/or have a clear strap (the wide matte finish ones are great, and basically invisible on ice) across the back. I know you don't want to use an actual bra, but, some of the newer versions are quite nice.

No, I haven't checked out bras. I figure that my job is to make the dress. Underwear etc is the skater/mum's responsisibility. Does that sound reasonable?

Clarice
09-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Not sure, probabaly an A or B at the most. How do you put in a shelf bra?

Basically, you make a second bodice out of stretch fabric - I've used swim lining (I like the heavier kinds for this), but I've also used coordinating lycra. You need to figure out how far down to cut it. You're going to sew wide elastic along the bottom edge, roll it up and up again, then zig-zag over the edge to hold it in place. You want the finished elastic band to sit under the bust like a normal sports bra. You baste the shelf bra piece to the wrong side of the actual bodice front (this is done while the dress is being constructed), and then treat them as one piece when you make the dress. Usually the elastic at the bottom will make the side seams pull forward a little at that point, though. If that bothers you, a separate dance bra is a better solution. Really, the ones with the clear straps can hardly be seen when the skater is out on the ice. After years of putting shelf bras in my daughter's dresses, dance bras are now her preferred solution.

AgnesNitt
09-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Depending on the skater's bust size, you may be able to save yourself some sewing and get away with an adhesive bra. Samples of which can be found at this site (http://www.HerRoom.com/search2.aspx?new=yes&terms=adhesive+bra&x=0&y=0). If you scroll down you'll see that they also have flash tape (http://www.HerRoom.com/Braza-1009-Flash-Tape.shtml) which allows you to control the tendency of some costumes to flop away from the body.
If you're wearing a costume that tends to ride up from the bottom, dancers sometimes use 'toupee tape' (http://www.hairdirect.com/resources/attachment/tape-types.aspx?gclid=CKOXxc2E75wCFRHxDAodjgwkjg)which appears to be much stronger.

herniated
09-13-2009, 01:55 PM
I tried to sew cups into a dress and I just couldn't make it work. So I either wear a nude liner(leotard) or comfortable sports bra also nude.

tazsk8s
09-14-2009, 03:17 PM
I tried to sew cups into a dress and I just couldn't make it work. So I either wear a nude liner(leotard) or comfortable sports bra also nude.

Ditto. I found the cups to be incredibly annoying. I have a nude sports-type bra, or else will sew in a shelf bra when making the dress.

herniated
09-14-2009, 06:28 PM
The last time I competed I word a nude mesh body stocking and it worked great!!

liz_on_ice
09-14-2009, 08:14 PM
I have a backless bra that converts to halter or strap or strapless style. It was a little expensive at a specialty shop, but so far it works with all my dresses so I only need the one.

katz in boots
09-15-2009, 03:28 AM
Cool, thanks everyone. Turns out the mother has already bought the daughter a convertible bra, so I don't need to bother.