View Full Version : What do you wear to the Rink?

FSWer
09-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Say,I know what I were to the Rink for a Public Skate. But I was just wondering what all my fellow Skaters here on the Board themselves wear to the Rink? If you go to the Rink for other then what you go for..please include what you wear for both. For example...if you compete as wel as go for a Public. I want you to put what you wear for Pratice,Competition,and for a Public. For me when I go to my Public Skate I wear Sweatpants,a long sleave shirt,and a coat. The kind of coat I wear will depend on the season. If it's Spring/Summer I wear a light coat or vest. If it's Fal or Winter (unless it's still too warm for it,LOL.) then a heavy Winter coat will do. Ok fellow Skaters....your turn to tell me what you wear.

caffn8me
09-12-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm decidedly boring. If I'm going for practice or a lesson I wear Nike Dri-Fit running bottoms with tights underneath, a T-shirt and a Mondor black jacket.

For UK Skating Forum (http://www.skatingforum.co.uk) meetups I tend to wear a skirt with heavyweight Danskin or Body Wrappers skating tights and a very distinctive long sleeved top so people who haven't met me before will recognize me easily. It works :)

Sarah

Skate@Delaware
09-12-2009, 09:25 PM
I wear Under Armour tights and leggings on top of them, an undershirt or camisole and a long-sleeved t-shirt (usually in PINK-love the ones from Target) over it. I top it all off with an Under Armour fleece jacket-it's lightweight but warm. For my cold rink I have pants that are polar fleece-lightweight but very warm and they are cool because they hug the heel of my boots (the latest fashion). I rarely wear dresses to skate. I wear the same thing to freestyle sessions and public skates which means I have to make sure my fresh ones are washed (I need to get more but Under Armour is expensive).

Skittl1321
09-13-2009, 07:12 AM
For practice in the summer: black leggings, gloves, and a tank top
For practice in the winter: Underarmour leggings, t-shirt, gloves, and fleece jacket

I never skate in pants that are not tight around my ankle if I am practicing. My blades have gotten caught in them too many times.

For a public session: Normal clothes, Jeans and a t-shirt usually. Maybe even shorts. I don't do any "tricks" just skate in circles and chat with friends.

For a competition: If I don't compete until much later I wear lined track pants, a t-shirt and my fleece to get warm, with tights on underneath, then I change there. If I compete very early I go up in my dress with a jacket over it.

londonicechamp
09-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Hi Sarah

Very nice to meet you here.

londonicechamp
09-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi

For me, for lessons and practice, and also public sessions, I usually wear t-shirt, padded shorts, tracksuit bottoms, and a jacket (I got my jacket from the ice skating rink in London.)

londonicechamp

caffn8me
09-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Hi Sarah

Very nice to meet you here.Hi londonicechamp!

Good to see you here too :) When I skated with you at Queens I wasn't yet brave enough to skate in a skirt so you missed what is probably a horrible sight ;) Will you be skating when you are in London for your call to the bar?

Sarah

londonicechamp
09-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Hi Sarah

Glad to know that you now have the confidence to wear a skirt, to go ice skating. :D

I do not know at the moment whether I will be skating when I am in London for my Call to the Bar. I may not bring my own skates, but may use hired skates instead. If I do go skating during my Call to the Bar, will certainly let you know, and you will then have the chance to watch the program that my coach in Singapore has been practising with me, only that it is without music. :lol:

londonicechamp

herniated
09-13-2009, 01:52 PM
I wear a variety of things...tomorrow I will wear black leggings,leg warmers. leotard underneath and a long sleeve t-shirt on top.

Kat12
09-13-2009, 03:59 PM
I was wearing my black yoga pants with black (non-skating) sweater-knit footless tights underneath, but I just got some running-type tights at a thrift store. Unfortunately I thought they'd maybe be somewhat thermal but they don't seem to be. :( Still planning on getting Under Armour tights some day (anyone know what the difference is between their Frosty tights and their other Coldgear tights? Is there something that makes the Frosty tights the best, or would any of their Coldgear tights do? I see Coldgear tights on eBay sometimes but am not always sure what model they are or if it matters).

I wear a long-sleeved t-shirt on top (sometimes with one of my long t-shirts underneath so my tummy doesn't stick out and freeze, since I'm so long-waisted), though my plan at some point is to get a UA Coldgear top as well since a long-sleeved t-shirt isn't quite enough but putting a hoody over the top is too much and I end up taking it off.

Then the necessary fleece headband over my ears (I get a headache if too much cold or wind gets in my ears, for some reason) and gloves (I have those stretch "magic" gloves but I'd like to get a pair that thin but that goes a bit further up my wrist. No idea how people with hands bigger than my relatively-small ones wear those things). And then of course my homemade sock boot covers and my knee and elbow pads.

I have a cute skort I'll wear when I get my uber-heavy-duty-keep-Kat-warm tights. (I do so hate being cold)

SkaterBird
09-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Either a pullover sweater or a tee shirt, depending on the season/rink temperature, with a fleece jacket over it which I can take off if necessary. Footed tights and a skating skirt or sometimes black leggings (the Vera Wang kind that she makes for Kohl's). Alternatively, a leotard and ballet chiffon or georgette wrap skirt. Gel pads (I am a serious wimp and proud of it:twisted:), and an Ice Halo headband for head protection (I am fanatic about head protection and the Ice Halo is a really, really good product for that :bow:- very lightweight, comes in a number of colors and several fake fur styles, and doesn't look nearly as geeky as the padded hat I used to use for protection).

kander
09-14-2009, 01:20 AM
I wear a smile :-)

Oh, and warmup pants over compression shorts, and a sweatshirt over a tshirt. I usually don't really need the sweatshirt for warmth rather I need it to protect my arms from ice burn from falls.

jazzpants
09-14-2009, 01:51 AM
See my username... :P :lol:

The only exception are competitions and tests, THEN I go glam all the way (well, okay, within reason...at least enough to keep diva primary coach happy) on the skating dresses, hair, makeup, etc. Sorry, skaternum! Still haven't converted me to the classic skating dress for practice! Nyah, nyah!!! :P

katz in boots
09-14-2009, 03:39 AM
Black !

Black leggings for a lesson, close fitting pants for public sessions.
Black t-shirt all year round.
Have recently broken out and bought a jacket that has turquoise & white trim, rather than wearing my all black jacket for a change, and recently made skintone boot covers instead of my usual black. Feels weird seeing myself in any other colour, but turquoise is my fav colour.

Mrs Redboots
09-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Most of the year: jogging bottoms or sweatpants of various kinds/T-shirt/sweater, sweatshirt or fleece.

Run-up to competition and/or skating camp: wrap skirt, thick tights, and top half as above (sometimes with cardigan instead of the other options).

And always, always, always:
BOOTCOVERS!!!!

liz_on_ice
09-14-2009, 03:01 PM
cheap stretch pants, I take in the lower legs for safety. You'd never know I didn't buy expensive skating pants. Undershirt and thin long-sleeved shirt, thicker in winter, cuddly fleece jacket for warmup.

caffn8me
09-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Most of the year: jogging bottoms or sweatpants of various kinds/T-shirt/sweater, sweatshirt or fleece.

Run-up to competition and/or skating camp: wrap skirt, thick tights, and top half as above (sometimes with cardigan instead of the other options).

And always, always, always:
BOOTCOVERS!!!!
Really, really funky bootcovers! I loved them! :D

Sarah

Mrs Redboots
09-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Really, really funky bootcovers! I loved them! :D

Sarah

I don't wear that pair very often - only when my coaches aren't around. Back to plain black this week - it was supposed to be the eponymous red, but I discovered that the red ones that match the jumper I've been wearing (sweater, for American friends) aren't high enough for my sweatpants to tuck underneath, so will have to save them for when I go back into skirts next week.

niupartyangel
09-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Usually pants, and a fitted sweater or fitted zip up hoodie (i used to wear my college hoodie until my coach complained she couldn't see if my back was arched properly on spirals). I like Under Armour frosty tights, Lululemon and Seku. If I pass my pre-bronze FS and Moves this December I will reward myself wtih another pair of Seku pants :)

For socks, I use Mondor knee highs....some days I wear a skirt and a zip up hoodie. The skirts I use are the velour ones with the slit up the sides by Jerry's...found them on Ebay for $10 each. Then two pairs of tights (one footed, one over the boot).