View Full Version : 2010 Colonial Adult Winter Challenge- March 13-14, 2010

Stormy
09-09-2009, 11:08 AM
The announcement is out! http://colonialwinterchallenge.com/assets/CAWC%202010%20Announcement%20-%20Final%20083009.pdf

Here's the full website- http://colonialwinterchallenge.com/

I can answer any questions you have about it, so feel free to post here or PM me. IJS will not be used, but this is still an excellent way to get your program out there right before Nationals and could be a great alternative to Easterns if you couldn't/didn't want to go to NC.

We're offering all sorts of events including solo and partnered dance, pairs, MIF, and team maneuvers! There are early bird rates so send your apps in before December 31st and get a discount.

herniated
09-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Yay!!! I have a question... regarding solo dance. I have passed the pre-bronze tests and am planning on taking the bronze in early January. Now if I send in the application early what level should I choose to compete in? Pre-Bronze? Then what happens if I pass all three (which I hope I do!) and I've already sent in my app? Does this make sense? lol Or should I just wait and see what happens at my test.

Stormy
09-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Yay!!! I have a question... regarding solo dance. I have passed the pre-bronze tests and am planning on taking the bronze in early January. Now if I send in the application early what level should I choose to compete in? Pre-Bronze? Then what happens if I pass all three (which I hope I do!) and I've already sent in my app? Does this make sense? lol Or should I just wait and see what happens at my test.

Since you can skate up, you can do either your current level (Pre-Bronze) or the one you're testing for (Bronze). So whichever one you want, basically. If you're testing your Bronze dances and have been working on those, I'd day sign up for Bronze. :)

herniated
09-09-2009, 07:27 PM
I guess maybe I wasn't too clear. My worry is if I send in the app stateing I am Pre-Bronze then pass the Bronze right before the app deadline can I still compete at Pre-Bronze? Know what I mean?

Stormy
09-09-2009, 08:29 PM
I guess maybe I wasn't too clear. My worry is if I send in the app stateing I am Pre-Bronze then pass the Bronze right before the app deadline can I still compete at Pre-Bronze? Know what I mean?

Ah, gotcha. It goes by whateve test you've passed at the deadline. I'd wait until after you test, that way you'd know exactly which one to enter. If you've passed Bronze by the deadline, you should compete Bronze. Hope that helps?

sexyskates
09-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Yay, Stormy! An adult competition in March within driving distance! I am so coming to this event!!!
One question: Can we sign up for both Interpretive events - Artistic/Dramatic and Lt. Entertainment/Comedy, so that we can be all practiced up for Nationals?

herniated
09-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Ah, gotcha. It goes by whateve test you've passed at the deadline. I'd wait until after you test, that way you'd know exactly which one to enter. If you've passed Bronze by the deadline, you should compete Bronze. Hope that helps?

Thanks, it does help!!

Stormy
09-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Yay, Stormy! An adult competition in March within driving distance! I am so coming to this event!!!
One question: Can we sign up for both Interpretive events - Artistic/Dramatic and Lt. Entertainment/Comedy, so that we can be all practiced up for Nationals?

I did check on this and you can only do one or the other, not both. Sorry about that!

liz_on_ice
09-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Whooot! I'm so going to be there. Will figure out by end of December if it will be pre-bronze or bronze level. 8-)

herniated
09-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Whooot! I'm so going to be there. Will figure out by end of December if it will be pre-bronze or bronze level. 8-)

Dance or Free?

liz_on_ice
09-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Dance or Free?

Free - and I see there is a moves event, I'll have to give it a whirl!

herniated
09-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Hopefully we can meet up there!!

Stormy
12-01-2009, 10:49 AM

Hey there! We're checking with the referee if we can let people do 2 interps. I can't see any reason why they'd not allow it, so I'll get back ASAP with a defintiely yes or no. I know people who have 2 Interps want to do both before ANs, so hopefully this will be a go!

Stormy
12-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Just a thread bump! I know the competition deadline isn't for a while but just a reminder that there's an early bird discount for getting your forms before the end of the month.

flutzilla1
12-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Signed up for Silver FS 2 (hoping and praying it is NOT combined with the 1s like at HC last year, if it is maybe I'll get bumped/combined into the 3 group since I'm so close?), Bronze Spins and Silver Jumps. Still waffling about the spin challenge event....

Stormy
12-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Signed up for Silver FS 2 (hoping and praying it is NOT combined with the 1s like at HC last year, if it is maybe I'll get bumped/combined into the 3 group since I'm so close?), Bronze Spins and Silver Jumps. Still waffling about the spin challenge event....

We defintiely have your entry. :) I'll make a note to see if you can get bumped to 3 as opposed to 1 if need be.

herniated
12-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Just Got my Application signed by my coach and I will be there too for Bronze Solo dance! Ten Fox here I Come!

Skittl1321
12-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Having just read the application, I LOVE the idea of "longest spin" (of course, I personally would fail miserable at it) can we add that to eligible skating too?

aussieskater
12-01-2009, 04:56 PM
(Just read the announcement - wish we had comps like this down under... :cry:)

The spin challenge sounds like fun! I wonder if the ability to spin both ways would be a real advantage here (combo spins etc are allowed accordong to the announcement ) - it would sure eliminate the dizziness issue!

sexyskates
12-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Hey Stormy, any more info on whether we can do both the artistic and the light entertainment interps? I see the announcement says no, but you would get more entries if you allowed it.

Stormy
12-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Hey Stormy, any more info on whether we can do both the artistic and the light entertainment interps? I see the announcement says no, but you would get more entries if you allowed it.

See my reply a few posts up to you! :)

flutzilla1
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
We defintiely have your entry. :) I'll make a note to see if you can get bumped to 3 as opposed to 1 if need be.
Thank you, that would be great! :D

sexyskates
12-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Any more word on whether we may enter both interp events? I would like to send my application in this week. Should I just sign up and just take a refund if my second interp is not accepted?

Stormy
12-13-2009, 10:56 AM
PM'ed you!

herniated
12-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Are you close to Boston?:)

sk8lady
12-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Wish this was after youth hockey tourney season is over! Can't make it this time of year.

Stormy
12-16-2009, 09:02 AM
BTW, anyone who wants to do 2 interps, just send in the form with both interps entered. It's not a problem!

Stormy
12-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Are you close to Boston?:)

Me? Where I live is about 45 minutes from Boston. :)

RachelSk8er
12-16-2009, 03:14 PM
I wish this wasn't the same weekend as Mids, otherwise I'd come visit Stormy and Mr. Stormy at their new storm shelter.

herniated
12-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Me? Where I live is about 45 minutes from Boston. :)

I should have been more specific, :lol:. I meant the rink/hotels for the competition. Are they near Boston? We are thinking about extending our weekend to visit.

Stormy
12-16-2009, 08:16 PM
I should have been more specific, :lol:. I meant the rink/hotels for the competition. Are they near Boston? We are thinking about extending our weekend to visit.

Oh, no, the rink and the official hotel is about 45 minutes away. There is a possibility the competition might be Saturday only depending on the number of entries, so if you wanted to take Sunday to go to the city that's a great idea. :)

sexyskates
12-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks Stormy! I'm sending in my application tomorrow.

herniated
12-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Oh, no, the rink and the official hotel is about 45 minutes away. There is a possibility the competition might be Saturday only depending on the number of entries, so if you wanted to take Sunday to go to the city that's a great idea. :)

Thanks Stormy for the heads up! Good to know...hmmm. I'm sending in my app after Christmas! Should be fun either way.

liz_on_ice
12-30-2009, 11:29 AM
8O I finally scraped up my nerve and sent in my application 8O

I scaled back my original ambitions, I'm competing the freeskate at pre-bronze, instead of skating up to bronze. I did sign up for bronze moves since I've passed that test. Skipping the compulsory moves, spin challenge, etc this time. I'm going to watch and cheer, and go drinking with my new friends. :D

herniated
12-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Liz on ice...hopefully I'll get to meet you there!!!

flo
12-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Any pairs going?

herniated
01-05-2010, 05:44 PM
flo..are you going???

flutzilla1
01-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Any more news on the comp...will it be 1 day? If so I'm gonna have to scratch from some events as 4 of them is way too many for my brain to wrap itself around...:)

Stormy
01-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Any more news on the comp...will it be 1 day? If so I'm gonna have to scratch from some events as 4 of them is way too many for my brain to wrap itself around...:)

We're not going to know until after the close of entries, which IIRC, is a week from Friday or Saturday, and then the ref has to make the schedule. I know one day isn't ideal for people doing multiple events, but from the LOC's standpoint, if we can avoid the expense of 2 days we'd like to. Plus, that's better for people traveling and such. I know it's not what you want to hear, but we really won't know defintely if it's one or two days till after close of entries, and you know people always send them in at the last second so we need to wait to get all the apps.

Believe me, it'll be a busy day for me as well. I didn't realize it until recently, but my synchro team has a competition on the same Saturday as the Winter Challenge. Luckily, the two competitions are only about a half hour apart, but it'll still be a very crazy day.

flutzilla1
01-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the update! I don't mind having to scratch from some events if it ends up being only one day. That way mini flutz and I can spend Sunday being tourists in Boston. :)

herniated
01-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the update! I don't mind having to scratch from some events if it ends up being only one day. That way mini flutz and I can spend Sunday being tourists in Boston. :)

That is our plan too!!

IceSk8r725
01-14-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm one of those last minute people...sending my form out today! :oops:

londonicechamp
01-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Hi

Anybody knows what mini flutz is? I do not live in the USA, so do not know what it means. :(

londonicechamp

herniated
01-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi

Anybody knows what mini flutz is? I do not live in the USA, so do not know what it means. :(

londonicechamp

I think she means her child. Her name is flutzilla 1 so her kid is mini-flutz!

londonicechamp
01-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Hi herniated

Okay, got it. 8-)

londonicechamp

JimStanmore
01-15-2010, 09:05 PM
The Freeskate no test specifies "Only half jumps, salchows, and toe loop jumps are allowed." I am wondering if that means the salchows and toe loops are limited to only half a revolution. As it reads, I could interpret the half jumps to mean waltz, split, click, half loop and half flip while the salchow and toe loop can be one-and-a-half revolutions.

Also, the penalty for including one of the prohibited jumps would be lost points, right?

Sorry if these are obvious questions, but this is my first competition. I also jump pretty well (can't spin to save my life.)

Thanks.

JimStanmore
01-15-2010, 10:08 PM
I think out found my answer at http://www.usfsa.org/Content/Levels-landscape.pdf under the beginner Test track which is comparable to the Free Skating track (http://www.usfsa.org/content/FlowChart.pdf.)

"Jumps with not more than one-half rotation (front to back or back to front) Single rotation jumps: Salchow and toe loop only. Jump combinations and sequences are allowed."

Isk8NYC
01-15-2010, 11:41 PM
I think out found my answer at http://www.usfsa.org/Content/Levels-landscape.pdf under the beginner Test track which is comparable to the Free Skating track (http://www.usfsa.org/content/FlowChart.pdf.)

"Jumps with not more than one-half rotation (front to back or back to front) Single rotation jumps: Salchow and toe loop only. Jump combinations and sequences are allowed."that's right. It's not how many rotations can YOU do, it's how many is the jump supposed to have.

Sorry you didn't get a quick reply - everyone's watching the US Nationals.

JimStanmore
01-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks. I guess I'm so wrapped up in getting my first program together that I totally missed thinking about the Nationals. We have several Olympic competitors temporarily training at our rink so I am kind of spoiled by being able to watch them so much. You can imagine my shock when I started going to the rink last fall for the first time after not hardly skating for 20 years and saw all of those great skaters. I thought something had changed drastically in the average club skater until I found out who they were.

herniated
01-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Hey Stormy!!! At the risk of being a pain in the buttocks...Any news yet on if the competition will be one or two days?

liz_on_ice
01-21-2010, 10:13 AM
that's right. It's not how many rotations can YOU do, it's how many is the jump supposed to have.

"You can repeat Lutz again, my friend. ... What is a Lutz? it has three revolutions"

Nationals and Johnny's documentary in the same week. wheeeeee 8-)

Stormy
01-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Hey Stormy!!! At the risk of being a pain in the buttocks...Any news yet on if the competition will be one or two days?

Trust me, the absolute second I get the word on it, I will post here. Remember, entries just closed and we all know how we all wait till the last second to send them in, so they've been trickling in all week, and the ref hasn't made a schedule yet. I will post as soon as I know.

herniated
01-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Stormy!!

liz_on_ice
02-09-2010, 11:58 AM
I can't come after all. My mom needs surgery and wouldn't you know it was scheduled for right then. She's having a hip replacement, and will need lots of help when she gets home. I've emailed in my withdrawal. Sniff. Have lots of fun for me!

Isk8NYC
02-09-2010, 12:07 PM
I can't come after all. My mom needs surgery and wouldn't you know it was scheduled for right then. She's having a hip replacement, and will need lots of help when she gets home. I've emailed in my withdrawal. Sniff. Have lots of fun for me!
((((Liz)))) Hope your mom's surgery goes well. You're a good daughter.

herniated
02-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Any news yet?.....I booked my hotel rooooom!!!!! And beaded my dresssssss! :lol:

JimStanmore
02-21-2010, 01:03 AM
I exchanged emails on the 15th and 16th about two events that had no other entries. They said they were finalizing the schedule.

herniated
02-21-2010, 09:11 AM
I didn't get any emails so I guess I'm good. Bronze Solo dance..I heard a mif event only had one entrant. I only got emails on apparell.

Stormy
02-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Schedule is being finalized now....I'll see if there is any other news when I go to Colonial tonight. :)

Stormy
02-23-2010, 07:41 AM
The competition is defintiely Saturday only and the schedule will be out this week! :)

herniated
02-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks Stormy!!!!

JimStanmore
02-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks, Stormy.

Stormy
02-28-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm just waiting for the schedule to be put on the website....if you want to know a specific event time, let me know. :)

herniated
03-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks Stormy for the schedule!! how do we go about buying practice ice? and on the email it said we can pre-purchase photos and video. How do we do that too? Or just contact the individual companies?

Stormy
03-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Checking on practice ice....as for the photos/video, yes, please contact the companies directly through the links on the website. And i see the schedule is on the website now. :) http://www.colonialwinterchallenge.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=15

JimStanmore
03-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Is Leominster a long drive? Mapquest says 17 miles and 22 minutes. I am thinking of taking a room there for the competition.

Stormy
03-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Is Leominster a long drive? Mapquest says 17 miles and 22 minutes. I am thinking of taking a room there for the competition.

Which hotel in Leominster? It's not a long drive and it's mostly highway, but it's defintiely not next door. You could also check hotels in Marlborough, which is closer and more direct to Colonial.

sllsk8
03-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Just wanted to say I am excited to meet other adult skaters at the Colonial Winter Challenge next weekend! Anyone else on here competing in Pre-bronze free skate?

JimStanmore
03-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Stormy,
I am looking at the Super8 or Motel 6 in Leominster. The rates are a little more than half of the Holiday Inn, but I don't want to stress about getting there in the morning.

JimStanmore
03-02-2010, 02:11 PM
sllsk8,
I was going to be Mens No Test or Pre-Bronze Class IV, but have to do exhibition because of lack of entries. I am doing compulsory moves and jumps, also. This is both exciting and intimidating. I just started skating again last October after not skating more than once a year since 1977. This time I have been taking lessons instead of using a book for the year I skated back then.

sllsk8
03-03-2010, 10:41 AM
jim,

I am competing in pre bronze compulsory moves also, so I will see you there! good luck with all of your events.

Stormy
03-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Stormy,
I am looking at the Super8 or Motel 6 in Leominster. The rates are a little more than half of the Holiday Inn, but I don't want to stress about getting there in the morning.

There shouldn't be any traffic at that time, so you should be fine. Both of those are right off of Route 2 so you're not far from the highway. You'd be taking Route 2 East to 495 South to Route 111.

rsk8d
03-03-2010, 07:47 PM
So disappointed! I was going to be at the Colonial Classic for Sk8Strong to do a presentation and talk to all of the adult skaters about our programs, yet my clinic has scheduled a seminar on the same day that I have ato attend. Everyone look for a special discount in your gift bags or at the registration desk. Hope to be there next year!

herniated
03-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Just wanted to say I am excited to meet other adult skaters at the Colonial Winter Challenge next weekend! Anyone else on here competing in Pre-bronze free skate?

HiIIiiiiIIi, lol. I'm not competeing in pre-bronze but I will be in Bronze solo dance at 4:35ish rink 1. Stop by and say hi! I will be wearing a red halter dress and my husband and son will also be wearing red. (I'm not kidding here) and we are all short - under 5'3" and we all have blue eyes and brown hair. ;)

Well.. the husband has NO hair!

AshleySarah
03-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Are you able to tell me when the classIII compete.

Stormy
03-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Are you able to tell me when the classIII compete.

Which level of Class III? :) Here's the link to the schedule. http://www.colonialwinterchallenge.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=15

Stormy
03-10-2010, 07:30 AM
BTW, everyone, the forecast for the weekend is in the high 40s and rainy. I wish we'd have better weather for you!

Debbie S
03-10-2010, 09:32 AM
BTW, everyone, the forecast for the weekend is in the high 40s and rainy. I wish we'd have better weather for you!Hey, it's better than snow. ;)

Good luck to everyone competing!

JimStanmore
03-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Actually, snow would mean free ice packs!

JimStanmore
03-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Please bear with me, this is my first competition:

1) When do we check in (my first event is at 10:45)
2) How/when do we verify our practice ice request/reservation? (8:05 - 8:25)

Thanks

Stormy
03-11-2010, 07:32 AM
Please bear with me, this is my first competition:

1) When do we check in (my first event is at 10:45)
2) How/when do we verify our practice ice request/reservation? (8:05 - 8:25)

Thanks

Just check in at the registration desk for both your event and your practice ice when you first come in. The desk should be right there when you enter the rink. Check in with the ice monitor too at your practice ice and event. The monitor will be right next to the door of the ice. :)

JimStanmore
03-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks, Stormy.

herniated
03-12-2010, 05:28 AM
Thanks, Stormy.

Jim,
make sure you are at the rink at least one hour prior to your start time of any event. Just in case they run early.

JimStanmore
03-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Will do, thanks. Time to get in the car and head up to MA...

herniated
03-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Well.. what a great event that was!! It was a very warm, supportive environment. Made some new friends and got reaquainted with old ones too. It was nice to see many of you brought your families (I usually feel like the 'odd' one with my family) for support.

thanks Stormy and to the others who helped to put together the competition! It was great!!

JimStanmore
03-19-2010, 01:14 AM
This was a great event to start my "competitive career." Thank you to evryone who had a hand in making this happen for us.