View Full Version : Smooth sailing or Crash landing

chowskates
09-07-2009, 02:45 AM
Smooth sailing - finally managed to skate this morning - after more than a week, during which my baby had high fever...

"Crash landing" my double toe - not falling-down, but so severely two-footed that it felt like my picks were crashing into the ice!

For some reason, was also crashing on my camel spin... need to figure that out again.

The last part of the session was pretty smooth sailing - managed to land the Axel even though I still feel petrified by it (really, I have no good reason to be afraid). Also landed a double Sal-loop combi :)

I saw a little girl at the boards, carried by her mother, so I went over to ask how old she was. Turns out she is almost 2, and she was so eager to get on the ice that the moment her mother put her down, she ran to the door and tried to step on the ice! How cute!!

liz_on_ice
09-07-2009, 11:12 AM
smooth sailing - uncrowded public session at 9am on a holiday - lots of moves practice. Met a couple of other adults and wasted a little time chatting. Worked latest corrections to sitspin, it's coming.

crash landing - it's really hard to get enough jump practice. I have more jumps to practice and not enough stamina to do them all justice.

Skate@Delaware
09-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Smooth Sailing: skated today on my new skates

Crash Landing: skated today on my new skates ((OWWW))!!!! Actually it wasn't too bad except my blades were really sharp (first pro sharpening I've had in 3 years) and they squished a bone on my right foot which hurt after 2 hours of skating.

My scratch spins were fairly off but backspinning was ok. Jumps were good altho I was going slooow. I'm fairly happy with them-will feel better once they break in a tiny bit more.

Kim to the Max
09-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Crash Landing:

I spent 45 minutes straight working on the junior power pulls :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: UGH!!! and I 'll probably spend another 45 minutes tomorrow night too...*sigh* that will be the one move to keep me from passing junior moves...

I did some axels which were complete crap....I recorded a couple of them and I am getting up fine, it's the pulling my legs in that is still the problem...I get to the point where I should transfer my weight and nope I either pull in to the side or I don't bring my left leg up high enough...doesn't happen...and then I pull out too early....some of that I have fixed, but I was skating at 10:30 at night, which is not the best time for me to be jumping...

And literally, I crashed into a little girl who was standing in the middle of the rink not watching...I was doing my back power circles and holding the back edge and suddenly I was hitting her....she had been standing in that same spot since I had started the move...everyone was okay luckily since I am quite a bit larger than she is..

Smooth Sailing:

I think I figured out my issues with the inside rockers...today I didn't have any subcurves!!! Woo hoo!! If I can get the power pulls acceptable, I may have a chance of passing Junior moves!!!

liz_on_ice
09-08-2009, 08:08 AM
crash landing - rink schedule is changed while one of the surfaces is re-done, got there to discover the session started a half hour earlier and I was late, and coach's schedule was torqued also, so no lesson. I gave up and went to work. :frus:

Skate@Delaware
09-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Smooth sailing: skated today on public ice...2nd time with my new skates. Rink was EMPTY with just 2 adults and 2 kids. Despite the "no jumping on public" rule we got to jump as long as we watched out for the little ones.

Crash landing: didn't push my luck with the skates; no loop jumps were attempted, scratch spins were cr*ppy.

ps-on another (off-ice) note: son tested positive for mononucleosis (aka MONO) which explains why he has been feeling poorly....however he has been CHUGGING out of the milk carton forever (even tho I tell him not to-he is 13 after all). Maybe I have it too maybe not....at this point I can't worry about it except to pay extra attention to my own nutrition, rest, etc.

PinkLaces
09-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Smooth Sailing First session of the fall ice contract. DD & I had to pick an earlier than normal time slot, because one of DD's new ice dance coaches took too long getting back to us. It turned out to be a good thing, because there are only 8 skaters(including us) on the ice. It allowed me to go through all my Bronze Moves without having to avoid anyone. I had a lesson with coach today. We talked about goals for the next year, including competitions - whether I'm going to try to skate Pre-Bronze or Bronze. We worked on jumps. Waltz jump, salchow, toe loop were good. Loop was good about 1/2 the time. Scratch, change foot, and sit spins were good.

Crash Landing Flip was not so good. Worked on getting the pull back and the foot in front. I landed a couple but the foot was on the side. Trying really hard to break that habit. The last 10 mins. DD was working on her axel and I was working on the flip. DD said I had a couple flips where I had some touch downs. So maybe there is hope for me. Camel spins were pretty much a disaster today. I couldn't find the sweet spot for anything.

Also found out that the shop, we've been getting our skates sharpened at, wrecked our coaches blades. YIKES! We just got our skates sharpened about a week and 1/2 ago. Coach checked DD's skates and said they were fine. Some of her skaters had them wrecked. One girl had blades that were only sharpened twice. I was having my new skates remounted and sharpened there. Coach is going to check on them tomorrow when she picks up her skates with the new blades.

dbny
09-08-2009, 09:33 PM
son tested positive for mononucleosis (aka MONO) which explains why he has been feeling poorly....however he has been CHUGGING out of the milk carton forever (even tho I tell him not to-he is 13 after all). Maybe I have it too maybe not....at this point I can't worry about it except to pay extra attention to my own nutrition, rest, etc.

Make sure your son takes it easy and follows doctor's orders, AND get yourself tested! Mono is nothing to fool around with. Complications can include hepatitis (happened to me), which will put you in bed if not in the hospital, for a few weeks. After that, full recovery can take 6 months.

Also found out that the shop, we've been getting our skates sharpened at, wrecked our coaches blades. YIKES! We just got our skates sharpened about a week and 1/2 ago. Coach checked DD's skates and said they were fine. Some of her skaters had them wrecked. One girl had blades that were only sharpened twice. I was having my new skates remounted and sharpened there. Coach is going to check on them tomorrow when she picks up her skates with the new blades.

There is probably one person in that shop who knows how to properly sharpen figure blades. Find out who it is, and don't let anyone else touch them. I do hope that's the case, because otherwise, you are just up against dumb luck whenever they are sharpened there.

PinkLaces
09-08-2009, 10:11 PM
There is probably one person in that shop who knows how to properly sharpen figure blades. Find out who it is, and don't let anyone else touch them. I do hope that's the case, because otherwise, you are just up against dumb luck whenever they are sharpened there.

There are only 2 guys who know how to sharpen figure skates there. My coach sends all her skaters to those 2 guys. One of those guys is the one that wrecked her blades. So coach is exploring 2 other options in town - both quite a distance away.

Kim to the Max
09-08-2009, 10:25 PM
[Crash Landing]
Barely got my shoes off to put my skates on tonight and the duty phone goes off and I have to head back to North Campus to deal with a situation so I didn't get to skate tonight which totally throws off my entire plan because I was going to skate tonight and take tomorrow night off (because I give up the phone tomorrow and I really wanted to have a beer and the only ice offered is from 9-11pm on campus tomorrow night :frus:). So, I will have to skate tomorrow...

Skate@Delaware
09-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Make sure your son takes it easy and follows doctor's orders, AND get yourself tested! Mono is nothing to fool around with. Complications can include hepatitis (happened to me), which will put you in bed if not in the hospital, for a few weeks. After that, full recovery can take 6 months.
I'm going to have to get tested-I'm not normally this tired (even with my anemia down low) and when his test came back positive, all the pieces just "clicked" into place. I need to re-evaluate my entire schedule so I'm not over-scheduled (i.e. need to pace myself).

I have class tonight but am going to try to make it to the rink to see the Jackson rep and ask about that spot on my skate that is giving me fits-not sure if I need another heat molding or just a spot treatment but it's killing me (feel like the lame horse LOL)

katz in boots
09-10-2009, 03:36 AM
Crash Landing:
first time I've been able to skate since I fitted my slightly over-length new Phantoms Saturday before last. Been so unwell with 'flu, dreadful cough etc. Haven't had a voice at all for over a week.

Smooth Sailing:
having private time on nice ice, with one other adult skater. Nice. And at least I didn't fall, so no literal crash landings today :lol:

Crash Landing:
still couldn't really spin on the new blades today even though I'd worked hard with my Profiler to fix the factory sharpening - better but, not great. Worried I might have done the wrong thing switching blades.

Sure, I've been sick, haven't been able to skate, and it takes time to get used to new blades, but my knee-jerk reaction is to switch the blades back again immediately. Going to try to convince myself to see how I go this weekend before making that decision.

I love the extra 1/4" length at the back, just feel so more secure, especially on back edges. But cannot find a spinning spot at all. Even 3 turns just didn't feel right.

Too unwell to jump today, but did try waltz, toe-loop & salchow with fairly dismal results.

I just want to feel well again :cry:

Skate@Delaware
09-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Crash Landing:
still couldn't really spin on the new blades today even though I'd worked hard with my Profiler to fix the factory sharpening - better but, not great. Worried I might have done the wrong thing switching blades.

Sure, I've been sick, haven't been able to skate, and it takes time to get used to new blades, but my knee-jerk reaction is to switch the blades back again immediately. Going to try to convince myself to see how I go this weekend before making that decision.

I love the extra 1/4" length at the back, just feel so more secure, especially on back edges. But cannot find a spinning spot at all. Even 3 turns just didn't feel right.

Too unwell to jump today, but did try waltz, toe-loop & salchow with fairly dismal results.

I just want to feel well again :cry:
Sorry you've been sick---get better soon!

Don't switch back to your "old" blades. Give it time to adjust. When I switched from Coronation Comets to Aces, it took about 2 weeks of skating to really feel comfortable. It was a drastic change because my rocker and hollow were different. (I'm older and more set in my ways, I'm sure it won't take you as long).

Hang in there!

Crash Landing: went to the rink last night to see the Jackson Rep...he wasn't there. There had been a family emergency and he wasn't able to show. So I left my name & number and when he is able I'm hoping he will call me and recommend what I should do about that sore spot. I'm sure he will suggest punching it out-it's right over a bony part of my foot. That is the only issue I have with my boots other than the expected newness lace bite and stiffness.

Smooth Sailing: So I went to the club meeting and we have tons of exciting stuff planned for this year! We have a portable ice (synthetic) surface that can be toted around and set up...which means skating at festivals, malls, etc. as a way of promoting the club & rink. Very exciting stuff! Maybe I'll get some cheap blades and put them on my old boots! Didn't get to skate tho, the meeting ran until after 8pm (which also meant I didn't get to eat dinner until almost 9 pm so I ate and watched "Glee").

liz_on_ice
09-10-2009, 10:34 AM
smooth sailing - coach remarked my boots were starting to break down, went to Klingbeil and had them rebuilt - should be good for a while now while I save up for the next pair. Also had screws moved and old holes plugged, and a spot over a bunion punched out. Ahhh, comfort.

crash landing - I should have skated before getting my skates fixed up, because now I'm supposed to leave them alone to let the glue dry. :frus:

Skittl1321
09-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Crash Landing Seems appropriate since I cannot sit normally due to hip pain from a fall last night. I kicked my leg out from under myself and slid sideways on the Rhythm Blues step behinds. I DO NOT like those. Not cool. And I did exactly what I thought I would do. (Coach said she hadn't seen a fall that way- that most people step on the back of their blade. Nope, I had the foot in the right place, and pushed myself over.)

Anyhow, while I was in pain coach gave me a high five for actually falling, and then after the session the junior man who skates said he thinks it's the first time he's seen me fall. We've been skating on the same ice for a few years now. But he's right- I pretty much don't fall. And this is why. It hurts.

Also had some trouble with the required lilt- I don't get a deep enough knee bend that it is apparent I've come up from it. And I thought I was doing so much better with bend!

Smooth Sailing
Have now learned the first 3 dances and am doing pretty well with the first 2. The end patterns on all of them give me trouble- the angle of the progressive in the dutch waltz, the cross in the swing roll of the canasta, and the aforementioned cross behinds, but I'm enjoying doing the dances, and feel like my edges are getting quite strong.

flo
09-10-2009, 12:27 PM
smooth sailing: we had the rink to ourselves for most of the morning. Great chance to work on the throws and death spirals. Things are moving along well and the back inside rocker is much happier!

Best to all.

dbny
09-10-2009, 04:42 PM
I should have skated before getting my skates fixed up, because now I'm supposed to leave them alone to let the glue dry. :frus:

Does this mean I won't see you tomorrow?

Crash Landing Seems appropriate since I cannot sit normally due to hip pain from a fall last night. I kicked my leg out from under myself and slid sideways on the Rhythm Blues step behinds. I DO NOT like those. Not cool. And I did exactly what I thought I would do. (Coach said she hadn't seen a fall that way- that most people step on the back of their blade. Nope, I had the foot in the right place, and pushed myself over.) <snip> The end patterns on all of them give me trouble- the angle of the progressive in the dutch waltz

Ouch! Those straight down on the hip falls are the worst! Hope you feel better soon. The end patterns are the hardest parts of all those dances, IMO.

Smooth Sailing:
Really had a good time in my ice dance lesson today. It was an empty public session, so we got to play the music, and I was pleased to realize that I have no problem keeping up with the tempo. I've got it all together now on the Prelim dances, except the end on the DW. Need to tighten up the swing roll and head for the back wall on the LFO so I don't run into the wall on the RFI. It's OK, but could be better. The Rhythm Blues seems to have suddenly become very comfy for me. I really like it and even feel like I'm skating bluesy to it. For some reason, I am getting much better knee bend on it than on the other dances - even on the intro steps!

Crash Landing:
After covering the three Prelim dances, I asked to do waltz-3's just for fun. After getting the hold fixed and strengthened, I was able to manage these until we started going too fast for my level of comfort. Boy, would I love to ace these! Another coach put on the music for the Paso, so I jokingly said, "let's do the Paso, I still know the steps" - then actually did make the 3 turn on the entry steps, but didn't get deep enough edges after the slides for my coach to continue with me. If I ever get to test this dance, I think it's going to be Adult track rather than Standard :roll:.

liz_on_ice
09-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Does this mean I won't see you tomorrow?

He only said don't bend them till tomorrow, so I'll be skating. whooot!

Kat12
09-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Smooth sailing: Got to skate twice in two days! And today was my first day back at the school rink, yay. Time has changed--it was 3:00-4:00, now is 3:30-4:30...which means i went on lunch break and got back to the office just in time to pack up and leave, lol. I actually got to skate backwards AROUND the rink for once because there was no one for me to worry about running into! Also, they now have a freestyle session from 4:30-6:30 and they tell me it's dead empty...this one I could hit after work. I think their freestyle sessions are pricier, though.

They remembered me right away, lol...the one guy came up behind me and said "can I help you?" then I turned around and he saw who I was and said "oh, you're here to skate!" The other guy noted my new skates, lol.

Crash landing: Another discouraging day. Will I ever NOT suck? Front crossovers need work, two-foot spins still suck (though I did get in a few revs on one foot a couple times!!), edges etc. still sorta crappy...I still feel like I probably look awkward on the ice.

Neither: too funny; one kid asked me, as I was putting on my skates, "are you a mom?" Made me laugh because most people think I'm in high school from the way I look, so to have him think I might be old enough to have a kid who's at least in middle school (at least I assume what he meant was, "are you the mom of one of the students here")...maybe I gotta stop wearing my hair in that bun! LOL.

Weird: I also found a Chee-to on the ice. Yeah, don't ask, I don't wanna know either. Tossed from the stands, no doubt. I originally thought it was gum and kicked it to the rink door and the dude picked it up and noted that it was some sort of spicy Chee-to.

PinkLaces
09-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Smooth Sailing Went to the 1:00-3:00 open freestyle session. It was just me and this cute girl from our club that is homeschooled. I got to work on moves without anyone in the way. She only skated for an hour so I put on some music that I am considering skating to for test/competition and messed around. That was fun.

Crash Landing Worked on loops from cross-overs and some exercises coach has me do for them. None landed. Flips - my foot did not want to cross in front today. Probably saving them to the end was not too smart. I should probably work on them first or in the middle before I get too tired.

singerskates
09-11-2009, 01:47 AM
This is for Sept 9th and 10th...

Sept. 9th

Smooth Sailing:

Jumps; Waltz, Toe, Sal, Loop, Sal + Toe combo, Split + Flip,
Spins; Forward Corkscrew
Spirals
Coach started to work with me on my freeskate choreography. We got 27 secs done which included to elements; RBO spiral put left foot down onto LFO to do LFO3 for take off of Salchow + Toe combo and then made my way to what is going to be my combo spin (Skate Canda just released our adult techinical package for the year and finally we have a combination spin if we choose to do it allowed in Adult Bronze). For now I'm just putting in a Camel spin there. Later, I'd lke to do 2 revs Forward Camel, 3 revs reg sit, 3 revs broken and then 8 revs or more corkscrew (scratch) spin because then I'd have 2 features which might at Boston Pizza StarSkate Sectionals and the Skate Canada Adult Championships give me a CoSp2 worth a base mark of 2.0.

Split jumps were flying even higher in the air than last time. It seemed like forever before I landed back on the ice, like one of those sureal moments. Weird but cool.

Bumpy:
Camel was slow and lost a rev
Split + Flip + Toe combo had a stupid touch down with the free foot on the flip but I still kept the rhythem going and added the toe.
Lutz wasn't as strong as last time (I didn't sleep enough the night before and so, little gas made me lacking.)

Cash landing:

Kept having to slow down and almost put the other foot down on my RFO3 in my freeskate program. I've never skated as fast as I'm skating now and I'm just not use to it. I mean I covered almost one time around with presentation, spin and jump in 27 seconds and still had 1:30 to go. So after my lesson I kept on practicing going into the RFO3 in my program going at it first slow and then adding more and more speed. I'm trying to get myself use to turning at speed in my un-natural direction.

Sept. 10

Crash Landing:

Didn't get to skate today and can't find city/ticket ice for figure skaters during the day for Friday. May have to shell out $20 to guest skate on Friday at my club because I choose not to buy one of my club's ice packages.
Had to ride bike back home alone.

Smooth Sailing:

Spent my hubbies pre-afternoons (3 PM to 11 PM work) hours with my husband. Also, rode our bikes 6 miles to across from his work place and had lunch together to partly celebrate our 26th wedding anniversary.

katz in boots
09-11-2009, 03:07 AM
Sorry you've been sick---get better soon!

Don't switch back to your "old" blades. Give it time to adjust. When I switched from Coronation Comets to Aces, it took about 2 weeks of skating to really feel comfortable. It was a drastic change because my rocker and hollow were different. (I'm older and more set in my ways, I'm sure it won't take you as long).

Hang in there!

Aww, thanks. But I am about to turn 50 8O, so I don't know that you're older than me. :lol:

But yeah, being sick probably has thrown things out for me. I plan to persevere tomorrow at least, before considering switching back. Though long term, I want Phantoms, in the short term, I want to be able to skate.
Maybe I can't have it all.

londonicechamp
09-11-2009, 06:33 AM
This is for this Tuesday and yesterday's lesson:

Tuesday
Crash landing

Coach taught me the 5 step sequence. I got confused of the last step. Still working on them during my practice now.

Scratch spin: cannot hold leg up wide. Seemed to have lost them before even a revolution, though can cross them reasonably well.

Waltz jump: posture was not so correct, in terms of arms position.

Smooth sailing

Change foot spin: well, not too bad, still trying to correct the 3rd spin the forward scratch position.

Program: after a week's holiday, of not skating during that period of time, still had not forgotten my program. Coach said that the first half of the program looked a lot nicer, and starting from next week onwards, will work me on specifics of the program. :lol:

Yesterday

Crash landing

Coach taught me the waltz 3 turns. Seemed a bit weird, as I put my foot down too soon. Coach said that the turn was nice at the beginner, and as I did more and more turns, started to be out of shape a bit. :roll:

Towards the end of the practice session, I started to lose a bit of my change foot spin and forward scratch spin.

By the way, when I was doing my program, nearly got killed by a girl who was having private lesson. Coach shouted to me "watch out" and the girl's coach pulled his student away from my area. If we collided with each other, could be a disaster!!!!! 8O

Smooth sailing

Coach commented that my change foot spin was a lot much better than it was on Tuesday.

Coach taught me the open wide leg position. I was not thinking too much, so was able to do them most of the time, almost always. Coach then got me to do the change foot spin, with open wide leg position for the scratch spin, as the 3rd spin. I managed to do them and they were not too bad really. :P

Coach added bits and pieces into my program, ran through my program 3 times. Coach was very happy that even after she added the steps, I still managed to remember the whole program. :D

londonicechamp

Skate@Delaware
09-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Aww, thanks. But I am about to turn 50 8O, so I don't know that you're older than me. :lol:

But yeah, being sick probably has thrown things out for me. I plan to persevere tomorrow at least, before considering switching back. Though long term, I want Phantoms, in the short term, I want to be able to skate.
Maybe I can't have it all.
Ok, I give...I'm almost 48 so you are a bit ahead of me but not by much! But you should give them a few weeks at least before you ditch them AND make sure they are set right (I had problems with my right one needing to be moved before it was perfect).

liz_on_ice
09-11-2009, 03:03 PM
smooth sailing - finally! got to skate after two failures this week. 2 hour public session with only a handful of people - including dbny and mr dbny.:D rebuilt boots are nice, felt much stronger on all edges. Spins were good, sitspin showing progress. I actually got my foot crossed over on the backspin. I had been trying to gradually ooze it over and always losing my balance. I got frustrated and just picked it up and parked it there - and that worked 8O hooray! :D

crash landing - BI xover moves pattern - dbny pointed out where I was totally not getting it and struggled to get it into my brain. I think I have it now, will work on it this weekend in freestyle (cones were driving me crazy on the public) and have it ready for coach to see and not be embarassed. :giveup:

herniated
09-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Smooth Sailing: only 3 of us on the ice this morning. Had good run throughs of Hickory Hoedown. Finally got second slide and knee thing. Was forgetting to do that.:lol:

Crash Landing:New Cd player did not have fast forward, reverse or track skipping ability sooooo could not use my dance CD. Lovely. Rink manangement did not care either.

PinkLaces
09-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Smooth Sailing Had my lesson. We worked on Bronze moves, Coach thought they looked pretty good (even the left mohawk on the 5 step) so we worked on extention. Waltz jump, salcow, toe loop, and waltz - toe were good. Scratch spin and change foot spin were good. I managed a few good backspins.

Crash Landing I haven't been sleeping very well this week so camel and sit spins were crap. I mostly gave up on spins, because they were making my too dizzy and tipsy. Loops were crappy too. I didn't attempt any flips.

In between Coach asked me when I wanted to test Bronze Moves and Free skate. She doesn't want to test them on the same day like we did last time. I suggested October for the Moves. She seemed to freak a little and said - That's next month! I think she wanted to do the Moves in November because she thought there was a consolidated test session. I am the test chair so can't test(& run the session) on our club sessions. There are 2-3 test sessions a week in our area so it shouldn't be a problem to test somewhere.

dbny
09-11-2009, 10:39 PM
I actually got my foot crossed over on the backspin. I had been trying to gradually ooze it over and always losing my balance. I got frustrated and just picked it up and parked it there - and that worked 8O hooray! :D

I saw it too! Very, very nice backspin. I also saw Liz do a graceful, flowing and correctly edged 5 step mohawk pattern.

Crash Landing:
Almost everything :x. I just felt like a fish out of water today, and really, really needed my coach, who is away for a long weekend. I can barely manage the RFO circle on the FO figure eight, and that's after pushing into the heel so hard my ankle was in pain. I know there's something wrong somewhere - but evidently have to wait for my coach to find it. I could barely make myself attempt anything with 3 turns, including the pre-bronze 3 turn pattern, which I have to refresh a student on this Sun. Just a total lack of confidence.

Smooth Sailing:
Okay, there were a few exceptions. FI figure eights were a piece of cake, in spite of having struggled with the LFI previously. Somehow, with no practice in months, it just happened exactly right, over and over. Got a few decent one foot spins from T push, stopped when they went consistently wonky, and came back later to a few more good ones. Got LB power pulls cooking again. Was able to do a little of the Canasta Tango, which flowed without a problem, and did just a clean up on the Dutch Waltz end pattern.

Flying:
My Chinese dress that I got on ebay and was a little too big is now a perfect fit thanks to the sewing skills of liz on Ice. She also gave me a black velvet Mondor dress that is a perfect fit. I now have 3 lovely black velvet dresses and only one occasion on which to wear a dress. Guess I'll have to work harder!

katz in boots
09-12-2009, 03:23 AM
Ok, I give...I'm almost 48 so you are a bit ahead of me but not by much! But you should give them a few weeks at least before you ditch them AND make sure they are set right (I had problems with my right one needing to be moved before it was perfect).

The right blade never felt quite right before. Now it feels perfect !

Right up til 1/2 hour before skating this morning I was prevaricating about whether to switch back to the Freestyles. Having been sick, I just wanted to skate well again. But I decided to persevere with the Phantoms, and am glad I did !

Smooth Sailing
Realised that not only do my edges feel more secure, for some reason I don't need to tighten my skates every few minutes. I just feel more comfortable on the longer blade. I can glide so much better, and even did some spirals today!
Recently spirals have been really awful, tripping over the toe-pick, really insecure. Suddenly both forward & backwards feel secure ! Bonus!

Crash Landing
Spins ! Better, but still not good or easy. Can't do sit or camel at all, still struggling with basic scratch. It's weird because I am only getting 1 tracing instead of 2, and it is a rather wide, deep looking tracing compared to before - but the blade is noticeably wider, would that make a differrence? Backspins MIA, though I notice the tracings are circles, no matter how bad the spin, rather than the twizzle tracings I was getting on bad ones before.

I figure, what the heck, I am not a natural spinner anyway. Spins will come back, but if everything else feels good, I'm sticking with my new blades !

Skate@Delaware
09-12-2009, 10:47 AM
This is for yesterday:
Smooth sailing: Waltz jump is good, nothing for coach to pick on (not even arms) except for lack of speed. Backspins were really on-worked on picking up speed (going from old lady speed faster LOL)

Crash Landing: getting back into things so we worked on scratch spins, which have been bad. Several things I need to focus on-
-lengthening entrance
-keeping free leg behind me longer
-keeping free leg more in front
-not being in a hurry to bring free leg across
Sit spins were bad, I have every excuse for these (weather made my back hurt, tight hamstrings, weak quads, new boots, etc) and I could not get close to the position I was in at Hackensack (grrrr) but the last one was closest to resembling a sit. Suggestions:
-do a few at each skating session
-back shoot the ducks
-off ice exercises & stretches

Waltz-8...well these were ok but my circles were lopsided although they were evenly lopsided! My focus needs to be on:
-making them round
-not moving my arms around as much
-actually counting each of the segments :lol:

Smooth Sailing: Last night's group class was good, except we ended up with "adoptees" from the other groups, so we went from being an adult class to mixed with kids :roll: which was just weird (skills ranged from FS3 to Delta)
Worked on: crossovers and proper pushing and edges. Next week will be jumps (yay!).

Today I worked on:
scratch spins and getting things straight. Backspins and going faster. Salchows and scooping free leg across. Waltz jumps and trying to go faster (this was impossible as club ice was almost unsafe-all levels and kids playing games made it hard except towards the end).

I have been toying with the idea of punching out my boots but I might just wait a bit longer, either the areas will slowly mold to my feet or my feet will slowly mold to my boot 8O. I will give it about 2 more weeks.

Bill_S
09-12-2009, 04:29 PM
This is for Thursday...

Smooth Sailing: Attended a roller skating session with the fellow old-timers. (Heh! I was the youngest there at 59.)

I did one spin on my PICs that went on forever (relatively speaking!). It was probably only 5 revs, but that's significant for me on wheels.

Said goodbye to the other skaters at the roller rink until April, because....

More Smooth Sailing on a Reach with the Spinnaker Unfurled: ICE SKATING BEGINS NEXT WEEK!!! :D :D :D Woo Hoo!

Black Sheep
09-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Today I skated my best ever in competition (at the Greater Chicagoland Fall Invitational) and brought home the 1st-place trophy! :D

However, I was a little disappointed in my 19.96 IJS score. those judges weren't terribly generous....:roll:

(EDIT: It was Adult Gold FS! ;))

AgnesNitt
09-12-2009, 07:19 PM
As some of you may recall I broke my ankle in a FO3 in June. The ankle is almost well. However, it turns out when you break one ankle the opposite knee is damaged by the stress of carrying so much of the responsibility of hauling you around. So I'm now seeing yet another orthopedic surgeon for the knee after it collapsed while I was walking downstairs (thank goodness I put in rails last year). It's taken so long to get an appointment with the knee doctor that it's almost well already.

Now my friend The Big Guy, tore his back up in a loop jump. He landed the jump (really well) and said he suddenly felt a pain like being run through with an ice pick. He spent the next week sleeping on his back....on the floor.

So just as I'm getting ready to go back on the ice, he'll now be off the ice for months. We're totally out of sync.

The only good thing is that since we're both off the ice, we had a chance to go see the latest Star Trek movie in IMax. Coool....

Skate@Delaware
09-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Black Sheep, a win is a win, just run with it; maybe some of the judges were taught from the old-school where "no one should get a good score" line of thinking :x

Agnes, I'm sorry to hear about your knee and the Big Guy! Hope you both get better & in-sync soon!

on another note, I need to get some cheap blades similar to my Coronation Aces (cause I can't spend the $$$ for another set) I'll mount them on my old skates for skating on the synthetic ice for demonstrating stuff when we are out and about at festivals. I don't want to ruin my new boots/blades so I'll just ruin my old boots and cheap blades.

singerskates
09-13-2009, 12:00 AM
Today I skated my best ever in competition (at the Greater Chicagoland Fall Invitational) and brought home the 1st-place trophy! :D

However, I was a little disappointed in my 19.96 IJS score. those judges weren't terribly generous....:roll:

Congradulations on your 1st place. In what level were you competing? What jumps, spins (including code), footwork or spiral sequence did you use?

londonicechamp
09-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Hi Black Sheep

Congrats on getting first place in the competition. :bow:

What level were you competing in?

londonicechamp

Kat12
09-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Today I skated my best ever in competition (at the Greater Chicagoland Fall Invitational) and brought home the 1st-place trophy!

However, I was a little disappointed in my 19.96 IJS score. those judges weren't terribly generous....

(EDIT: It was Adult Gold FS! )

Awesome!

It can suck if you feel the judges didn't realize how great you did, but as long as YOU know you did awesome, that's the most important part (IMO it's no fun, for example, to win knowing you did badly and you only won because everyone else was worse, etc.)

Skate@Delaware
09-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Awesome!

It can suck if you feel the judges didn't realize how great you did, but as long as YOU know you did awesome, that's the most important part (IMO it's no fun, for example, to win knowing you did badly and you only won because everyone else was worse, etc.)
I typically skate "against the book" when I compete which is no fun at all but my scores reflect my placement (skating ISI) and the comments made to my coach afterwards.

Smooth sailing: went to the public session today, hoping it wasn't too crowded or busy and I was pretty lucky! I got there an hour late but considering it was a 3-hour session for only $6 that was ok.

Worked on a bit of everything except for jumps (not allowed on publics). Stroking, crossovers, edges, 3-turns, scratch spins, backspins, jump setups were all great. I wore my heavyweight pants and I really got nice and warm, my sore legs got warmed up in no time (they were sore from my gym workout).

Crash landing: could not jump (boo!!!) so nothing was accomplished with them; boots started really hurting after an hour; migraine really bugged me along with the Disney channel station on Sirius (so I put my iPod on-both ears, yes I'm bad); and my back shoot-the ducks were blech along with my squat-spins.

All-in-all I'm glad I went! I give today's session two-thumbs up and it helped to lift me up and re-charge my motivation!

dbny
09-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Today I skated my best ever in competition (at the Greater Chicagoland Fall Invitational) and brought home the 1st-place trophy! :D (EDIT: It was Adult Gold FS! ;))

CONGRATULATIONS!

As some of you may recall I broke my ankle in a FO3 in June. The ankle is almost well. However, it turns out when you break one ankle the opposite knee is damaged by the stress of carrying so much of the responsibility of hauling you around. So I'm now seeing yet another orthopedic surgeon for the knee after it collapsed while I was walking downstairs (thank goodness I put in rails last year). It's taken so long to get an appointment with the knee doctor that it's almost well already.

Sorry about the knee, but maybe it has healed on its own and you won't need any treatment, or at least, very little.

on another note, I need to get some cheap blades similar to my Coronation Aces (cause I can't spend the $$$ for another set) I'll mount them on my old skates for skating on the synthetic ice for demonstrating stuff when we are out and about at festivals. I don't want to ruin my new boots/blades so I'll just ruin my old boots and cheap blades.

How cheap? I can give you a name and number of someone who has Aces for $145. Also there are Wilson Club 2000's, which should be under $100 and are similar to the Aces. Finally, you could try finding a used pair.

Skate@Delaware
09-13-2009, 06:28 PM
How cheap? I can give you a name and number of someone who has Aces for $145. Also there are Wilson Club 2000's, which should be under $100 and are similar to the Aces. Finally, you could try finding a used pair.
I'm thinking of going the used route...the synthetic stuff we have really tears up your blades (i.e. you need to sharpen every 5 hours AT LEAST). Thanks for the info. I'd buy used off of the girls here BUT I have the biggest feet at the rink (besides the guys and they all skate hockey).

aussieskater
09-13-2009, 07:13 PM
I can give you a name and number of someone who has Aces for $145.

Any chance you could PM me that name and number?? Blades here are horrendous - a pair of Aces will set us back around $400 8O - and that's allowing a favourable exchange rate with the greenback! Any wonder we buy online and have things shipped?

PinkLaces
09-13-2009, 09:52 PM
today i skated my best ever in competition (at the greater chicagoland fall invitational) and brought home the 1st-place trophy! :d

however, i was a little disappointed in my 19.96 ijs score. Those judges weren't terribly generous....:roll:

(edit: It was adult gold fs! ;))

congrats!!!!!

CanadianAdult
09-14-2009, 10:24 AM
. For now I'm just putting in a Camel spin there. Later, I'd lke to do 2 revs Forward Camel, 3 revs reg sit, 3 revs broken and then 8 revs or more corkscrew (scratch) spin because then I'd have 2 features which might at Boston Pizza StarSkate Sectionals and the Skate Canada Adult Championships give me a CoSp2 worth a base mark of 2.0.

first level feature: All three positions (camel/sit/upright)
second level feature: broken leg

8 revs aren't a bullet in the upright position, has to be sit, camel or layback.

The risk is that your camel has to be called and the sit has to be a true sit to get the three position bullet point. If you miss either the sit or the camel it's a level 1.

Your coach should be on top of this.

dbny
09-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Any chance you could PM me that name and number??

Sent it. Check your PM's.

singerskates
09-14-2009, 08:21 PM
first level feature: All three positions (camel/sit/upright)
second level feature: broken leg

8 revs aren't a bullet in the upright position, has to be sit, camel or layback.

The risk is that your camel has to be called and the sit has to be a true sit to get the three position bullet point. If you miss either the sit or the camel it's a level 1.

Your coach should be on top of this.

I'll have to check the 8 rev thing out closer, I guess.
Really, I'm working on getting the 3 revs in my Camel first before trying to do all three positions. It won't be until I have all three proper basic positions, that I'll add the broken leg and then the 8 revs.

I had no idea that doing all three position was a feature. Hmmm, you learn something everyday.

doubletoe
09-15-2009, 12:08 AM

Or a *difficult variation* of an upright position, such as an I spin, Y spin, or A spin. The only 8-revolution difficult upright variation I've seen has been an I spin by incredibly flexible young skaters.

Skate@Delaware
09-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Forgot to mention (for the above post):
Crash Landing: worked on sit spins, did several and my "homework" is to do backward shoot the ducks. Ok. The problem I'm having (seems simple but not to me) is going down and getting my leg to stick out straight. I get "stuck" and then I stop. Grrr!!! I'm not sure if there is a special technique or if I'm dysfunctional (or maybe both). I watched some youtube vids of girls doing backwards shoot the ducks and it seems easy...in theory. My back inhibits me from achieving this move without moderate pain and tightness.

don't know if I'll get to the rink today, as I have a big test tomorrow, and I don't know if I should skate (and feel guilty) or stay home and study for a million more hours and be mad cause there is not more skating (for me) until Friday.

doubletoe
09-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Forgot to mention (for the above post):
Crash Landing: worked on sit spins, did several and my "homework" is to do backward shoot the ducks. Ok. The problem I'm having (seems simple but not to me) is going down and getting my leg to stick out straight. I get "stuck" and then I stop. Grrr!!! I'm not sure if there is a special technique or if I'm dysfunctional (or maybe both). I watched some youtube vids of girls doing backwards shoot the ducks and it seems easy...in theory. My back inhibits me from achieving this move without moderate pain and tightness.

The lower and farther forward you hold your free leg, the easier it is to achieve the correct position and hold onto it. The knee of the free leg should be farther forward than the knee of the skating leg, and the inside of the thigh of the free leg should be pressing against the calf of the skating leg (i.e., free leg thigh is dropped below skating leg thigh). That gets your weight farther forward and makes the balance much easier. For a back shoot-the-duck, you want to be on the ball of the blade to keep your weight forward and keep from falling back and sitting down.