View Full Version : figure skating wear

dull sk8fan
09-03-2009, 03:47 PM
There's something i'd really like to know that's been questioning me.
So far all figure skating dresses i have seen have an attached brief part under the skirt,but i have seen outfits where they don't seem to be there,or going over the tights,it would be nice if other prof figure skating girls who are experts with outfits like these could help me explain this.

here are some examples,please tell of each one if there is an attached brief going over the tights or not,perhaps under the tights.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqN5ifpONE4

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNUjmEJE9RQ

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ4FhzvSmvY

saras
09-03-2009, 05:22 PM
my guess is rather than a brief/panties attached to the dress, full leggings are attached to the dress. It's kinda cool - especially the pair skater - more "unison" with her partner's pants

Skittl1321
09-03-2009, 05:38 PM
All of them to me look like the traditional brief attached to leotard outfit, but worn with colored tights. The pairs skater clearly (well, to me, I think) has on a shiny white briefs that are not the same material as her tights. You can see it well at :57

Oddly enough the skater in red it appears you can see the shiny brief at :57 too, so I think she is wearing it over colored tights.

The video quality of the black is tougher to see, but with so many black tights/leggings available, I'd assume it is the same thing.

dull sk8fan
09-03-2009, 05:51 PM
thanks,the red and black one almost looks as if the brief part would be under the tights which would be very odd like the white outfit

Clarice
09-03-2009, 06:00 PM
I agree with Skittl. They all are almost certainly wearing traditional skating dresses with attached briefs over matching colored tights. If the dress did not have the briefs built in, the skater would risk the dress riding up or gapping. You generally don't build a dress over a full-length legging because it's really easy to catch your ankles with your blade - check out any skater's practice leggings - they're usually all chewed up. If you wear the dress over matching colored tights or leggings, it's easy to replace them if they get damaged. I do rather like the look.

AgnesNitt
09-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Since I'm of an older generation, let me ask a question here. I order things from online, and I'd like to order something to wear under a skating skirt. But I've hesitated to order tights/leggings.

For my generation <gen A> 'leggings' means they can be worn without a brief--but are usually too heavy to be worn under a skirt.

'Tights' require a dance brief over them.

However, I see 'leggings (http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/itempage.aspx?BID=S2009234162839F8057229DEE343C685 9C4B&item=C142988&h=M&sk=M&ac=search)' used for something I'd wear dance briefs over. As for 'tights (http://www.tightsgoddess.com/cgi-bin/store/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=enter&thispage=faire-pair-catalog.html&ORDER_ID=!ORDERID!)' there are some exceptions

So what about Danskin tights? Need dance brief or not?

Apparently for men 'tights' can be worn as pants...

Any suggestions? Comments?

aussieskater
09-03-2009, 06:28 PM
So what about Danskin tights? Need dance brief or not?

Normal Danskin skating tights definitely need briefs - they have a diamond-shaped cotton-lined gusset at the crotch.

Skittl1321
09-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Leggings can be worn without a brief, but it doesn't mean you can't wear them with one too. My underarmour leggings are definetly thin enough to go under a skirt, but I wear them without one.

Tights need a brief, either because they are see through, or have a noticeable, cotton gusset.

Kim to the Max
09-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Since I'm of an older generation, let me ask a question here. I order things from online, and I'd like to order something to wear under a skating skirt. But I've hesitated to order tights/leggings.

For my generation <gen A> 'leggings' means they can be worn without a brief--but are usually too heavy to be worn under a skirt.

'Tights' require a dance brief over them.

When I was younger it was common to be able to purchase matching sets of skirts and leggings...you could wear the leggings with the skirt or without depending on your mood....you don't see those as much now, but they were all the rage when I was younger...you may be able to find the thin lycra stirrup leggings from Jerry's...

dull sk8fan
09-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Well there are eurotard tights that don't need briefs over them,wonder how that would look like in figure skating,but still,nobody still hasn't explained if the white skating dress and tights have attached briefs worn over the white tights or under,to me it looks under.

Skittl1321
09-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Well, I did post that I thought that she had briefs on over the tights, and gave you a time that you can see it well in the video. Clarice said pretty much the same thing.

It would be VERY unusual in skating or dance to wear briefs UNDER tights. I've seen little girls do it, but then rather having the effect of a cover up, it looks like you are seeing underwear under tights- not the look skaters are usually going for.

Because of the way figure skating dresses are usually cut, it would be difficult to wear leggings or tights over briefs if they are attached to the dress, which for freestyle skating they almost always are, and for ice dance at high levels they usually are. (Lower level ice dancers, or even freestyle skaters, can get away with unattached briefs because they don't need to worry so much about their dress flipping up- but they still would usually wear them OVER the tights, so that it is a clean "look these are meant to be seen as a cover" appearance and not a "oops, my undies are under my tights" look. But an unattached brief means there is nothing to hold the dress down, so it can ride up unattractively, or flip up and show off the belly or higher) Because the briefs sit below the waist, and not evenly on the hip, the tights/leggings would bunch oddly if they were over the briefs. By being under them they can sit at the natural leg/hip line and not worry about the cut of the dress.

dull sk8fan
09-04-2009, 08:30 AM
thanks for telling,but i guess in the slow motion it really looked like it was not over the white tights,my apoligies again.

liz_on_ice
09-04-2009, 08:35 AM
There's something i'd really like to know that's been questioning me.
So far all figure skating dresses i have seen have an attached brief part under the skirt,but i have seen outfits where they don't seem to be there,or going over the tights,it would be nice if other prof figure skating girls who are experts with outfits like these could help me explain this.

here are some examples,please tell of each one if there is an attached brief going over the tights or not,perhaps under the tights.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqN5ifpONE4

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNUjmEJE9RQ

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ4FhzvSmvY

can't tell for sure, but looks to me like attached white brief over white tights,
attached red brief over red leggings. Third is hardest to tell, looks almost like a black leotard over black tights with a skirt on over - but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

RachelSk8er
09-04-2009, 09:40 AM
When I was younger it was common to be able to purchase matching sets of skirts and leggings...you could wear the leggings with the skirt or without depending on your mood....you don't see those as much now, but they were all the rage when I was younger...you may be able to find the thin lycra stirrup leggings from Jerry's...

Oh yes..and if you were super cool you had the dress with some wild neon pattern up top and a solid skirt, and your solid matching leggings had a ring of the wild neon print around one ankle. So awesome. I have a box full of that stuff in my basement. Back when I was coaching synchro, a skater who showed up late unexcused had to wear something from my ugly dress box at the next practice. It was awesome.

Skittl1321
09-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Oh yes..and if you were super cool you had the dress with some wild neon pattern up top and a solid skirt, and your solid matching leggings had a ring of the wild neon print around one ankle. So awesome. I have a box full of that stuff in my basement. Back when I was coaching synchro, a skater who showed up late unexcused had to wear something from my ugly dress box at the next practice. It was awesome.

This is off topic, but when I was in high school on drill team if any part of your costume fell off during a performance you had to wear it to school. Generally didn't happen during competition (you'd be in SO much trouble- I can think of one or two though), but a more than acceptable amount at football games or pep-rallies. It was fantastic to see girls who were lazy about pinning have to wear giant sequin appliques on their butt, or huge feathered hats on their heads.

Kim to the Max
09-04-2009, 12:26 PM

Hahahaha!! Yes!! I was never that cool....or maybe I should say that my mother was just cheap :)

hanca
09-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, I did post that I thought that she had briefs on over the tights, and gave you a time that you can see it well in the video. Clarice said pretty much the same thing.

It would be VERY unusual in skating or dance to wear briefs UNDER tights. I've seen little girls do it, but then rather having the effect of a cover up, it looks like you are seeing underwear under tights- not the look skaters are usually going for.

Because of the way figure skating dresses are usually cut, it would be difficult to wear leggings or tights over briefs if they are attached to the dress, which for freestyle skating they almost always are, and for ice dance at high levels they usually are. (Lower level ice dancers, or even freestyle skaters, can get away with unattached briefs because they don't need to worry so much about their dress flipping up- but they still would usually wear them OVER the tights, so that it is a clean "look these are meant to be seen as a cover" appearance and not a "oops, my undies are under my tights" look. But an unattached brief means there is nothing to hold the dress down, so it can ride up unattractively, or flip up and show off the belly or higher) Because the briefs sit below the waist, and not evenly on the hip, the tights/leggings would bunch oddly if they were over the briefs. By being under them they can sit at the natural leg/hip line and not worry about the cut of the dress.

I agree with you.

dull sk8fan
09-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Just recently i read this girl hated the briefs under the skirt and that she has seen too many pictures where you almost spend more time looking at the girl's bum practically falling out of her briefs than you do what's she's actually doing,i couldn't agree more,also made me laugh a little but she's right.

Furthermore i'd like to say it's no problem if the briefs are under the tights,this is the future and you have all kind of tights,from high to low rise,made of different fabrics and they don't need briefs to stay up,and it also gives the tights a better look like a color of shade,smooth and cleaner as well instead of colored diapers over the tights,especially the white ones.

I really don't see anything wrong with attached briefs under tights cause it is possible and been done before,i am sure there are many senior figure skaters who would agree.

Let me show some examples and proof where nothing goes over the tights unless the briefs are under but it sure looks better.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_0LKJicPoQ&feature=related

http://www.absoluteskating.com/photogallery/2008euros-pairs.htm

http://lipovscak.com/ep2008/pairs_short.html

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXkncOJyUTs

http://img2.tianya.cn/photo/2007/9/15/4794191_10024826.jpg

Clarice
09-05-2009, 03:39 PM
It's clear that you like the look of legs matching the rest of the outfit, rather than a traditional skating dress over flesh colored tights. You can achieve that look either by building a skirt onto a full-length unitard, which is what I think the blue outfit in your first example is, or by wearing matching leggings under a traditional dress, which is what I think the lavender outfit is. You cannot wear leggings or tights over the brief portion of a traditional dress because it will make the skirt bunch up funny. I don't think any of the examples you have posted show leggings worn over a dress, but under the skirt, and I don't know any skaters who have ever done that.

If a skater is wearing a traditional dress over flesh colored tights and is worried that her bum is falling out of her briefs, she needs to have a talk with her costume designer. It is perfectly possible to cut the briefs so that won't happen. I've made plenty of skating dresses, and have never had that problem.

fsk8r
09-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Just recently i read this girl hated the briefs under the skirt and that she has seen too many pictures where you almost spend more time looking at the girl's bum practically falling out of her briefs than you do what's she's actually doing,i couldn't agree more,also made me laugh a little but she's right.

Furthermore i'd like to say it's no problem if the briefs are under the tights,this is the future and you have all kind of tights,from high to low rise,made of different fabrics and they don't need briefs to stay up,and it also gives the tights a better look like a color of shade,smooth and cleaner as well instead of colored diapers over the tights,especially the white ones.

I really don't see anything wrong with attached briefs under tights cause it is possible and been done before,i am sure there are many senior figure skaters who would agree.

Let me show some examples and proof where nothing goes over the tights unless the briefs are under but it sure looks better.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_0LKJicPoQ&feature=related

http://www.absoluteskating.com/photogallery/2008euros-pairs.htm

http://lipovscak.com/ep2008/pairs_short.html

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXkncOJyUTs

http://img2.tianya.cn/photo/2007/9/15/4794191_10024826.jpg

It looks to me like those ladies in the you tube videos are actually wearing unitards with attached skirts on. So they aren't wearing any tights. The ladies costumes sure look very similar to the mens costumes except they're slightly more fitted in the leg and there's a chiffon skirt attached around the waist.

dull sk8fan
09-05-2009, 04:34 PM
You cannot wear leggings or tights over the brief portion of a traditional dress because it will make the skirt bunch up funny. I don't think any of the examples you have posted show leggings worn over a dress, but under the skirt, and I don't know any skaters who have ever done that.

If a skater is wearing a traditional dress over flesh colored tights and is worried that her bum is falling out of her briefs, she needs to have a talk with her costume designer. It is perfectly possible to cut the briefs so that won't happen. I've made plenty of skating dresses, and have never had that problem.[/QUOTE]

i never said it was under the tights,it was only an option,an if,and well it is possible,they said the exact same thing in ballet and look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcWl_0GLb1g&feature=PlayList&p=4DCBCACCFBD639F3 (you can see the attached brief part here 0:14)

that looks a lot like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqN5ifpONE4
(same here at 0:57)

sk8tmum
09-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Okay, I asked my son- who has been the male part of a pairs team. His thoughts (to summarize):

the unitard with attached skirt works. It would look neat and tidy, and there wouldn't be "slippage" on lifts, death spirals, throws etc., i.e. as he's lowering the girl or holding her over his head, he wouldn't be worrying that her tights would slide down and look silly and/or catch on his grip. Yes, Pairs skaters do practice in tights/leggings, but, not ones that would have a waistband low enough to fit underneath a skirt. Usually, it's a pull on skirt over the leggings if they want to practice with a skirt flipping about without going for a dress.

Plus, how the heck would you have the waistband on the tights/leggings match up exactly to the waist on the skirt? Most of the skirts are "shaped" not exactly in a circle around the girls middle.

If you think about it, he does make sense. If you look at where skirts attach, then,to have leggings that "low riding" would mean that they would have to have wicked-tight elastic of some sort to hold them up, plus, you would have to exactly match them to the brief. Why would you bother when you could just do a unitard with a skirt if you like that look?

The Chinese skaters in general have very interesting costumes ... they do push the envelope.

jp1andOnly
09-05-2009, 09:41 PM
in the late 80s early 90s there were spandex leggings that had the skirt attached. The were practises dresses. The were the most uncomfortable things ever..lol

dull sk8fan
09-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Okay, I asked my son- who has been the male part of a pairs team. His thoughts (to summarize):

the unitard with attached skirt works. It would look neat and tidy, and there wouldn't be "slippage" on lifts, death spirals, throws etc., i.e. as he's lowering the girl or holding her over his head, he wouldn't be worrying that her tights would slide down and look silly and/or catch on his grip. Yes, Pairs skaters do practice in tights/leggings, but, not ones that would have a waistband low enough to fit underneath a skirt. Usually, it's a pull on skirt over the leggings if they want to practice with a skirt flipping about without going for a dress.

Plus, how the heck would you have the waistband on the tights/leggings match up exactly to the waist on the skirt? Most of the skirts are "shaped" not exactly in a circle around the girls middle.

If you think about it, he does make sense. If you look at where skirts attach, then,to have leggings that "low riding" would mean that they would have to have wicked-tight elastic of some sort to hold them up, plus, you would have to exactly match them to the brief. Why would you bother when you could just do a unitard with a skirt if you like that look?

The Chinese skaters in general have very interesting costumes ... they do push the envelope.

if you look at this ballet costume,a leotard dress same as an ice skate dress
as i mentioned before and it works,look at that ballet video and you'll see at 0:14 the attached brief part is worn under the white tights which is no unitard.

Now in figure skating it can as well,the eurotard tights as i also mentioned before are comfortable and hold up well enough which means they won't ride down,plus you have low rise ones so it would fit just perfectly right up to the waist.(best of all,less revealing,no bum or front look cause of the tights)

sk8tmum
09-07-2009, 09:30 AM
I looked at the ballet outfit; me, I thought it was a unitard with the dress stuff overtop, but, it was hard to see, so I may be wrong. I know that lots of dancers do use a unitard for sleek appearance onstage ...

All I can say is that there is no skater who is going to risk having a pair of tights or leggings "slide" in the middle of a competition or otherwise, especially at the Senior level. Their coaches wouldn't take the chance, and neither would their costume designer: when you figure the thousands of dollars (10's of thousands of dollars" that it costs to get to the senior level in a season, having any type of wardrobe malfunction as a risk would be absolutely unacceptable. I've seen coaches and designers spend hours ensuring that there is no "web" effect on a pair of pants, let alone a pair of leggings or tights that might come loose at their moorings and head south ! 8O No matter how good the quality of the material or spandex might be, it could happen ... and the resultant effect would be all over the galleries the next day. When the effect is more easily gained with a unitard, then, there wouldn't be a point in doing it. The pretty turquoise skater with the skirt - I've checked other videos and image galleries, it looks to me like a unitard with a skirt over top - it's easier to see in other versions of their routine.

No matter how expensive or whatever tights or leggings are, I've never seen a pair that doesn't "move down" when you bend over. You'd have to rely on them not moving down enough to show skin, panties, or whatever, and then to move UP over top of an undergarment after.

I'm still scratching my head also on how we would have tights that would fit into the waistband of the skirt, or why you would want to. If you look at the back of most skating dresses, you'll see that the back of the skirt is "U" shaped normally, not straight across. Tights would have to be shaped at the waistband to fit into that ... 'cause I've a guy skater, I've had to spend a lot of time on the logistics of skating costumes that aren't skirts over tights, you see!

dull sk8fan
09-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Yeah,good point,but could you show some evidence like the image galleries or videos i might have over looked of the turquoise skater,perhaps i can be convinnced.

Clarice
09-07-2009, 10:06 AM
I agree with sk8mum - it's hard to see, but I believe that ballet outfit is a leotard dress worn over tights. Believe me, if it worked so well to wear the tights over the briefs part of the dress, more of us would be doing it. It doesn't. Too much danger of the tights or leggings slipping down. A unitard works; tights over briefs doesn't so much.

dull sk8fan
09-07-2009, 10:09 AM
This is what a figure skater said before:

"if they wore the dress first then the tights, the tights cant really be pulled up too high, which means that theres the possibility of the tights dropping while they skate"

http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/2003/11_Novembre/23/fdg/CHINA.jpg (here the tights can be pulled up high enough,that means no dropping like you see in the chinese turqoise outfit,problem solved,and i forgot to say it doesn't work with all figure skating dresses)

Finally reasons why you would wear it like that

-It feels much more comfortable(according to other figure skaters i've known)
-It's less revealing like there's no bum falling out look,or the wedgie that makes the briefs look all crumply from the front and back.
-It keeps perverts away who want to look at the bum and the crotch area of the attached brief part.
-As i mentioned before,wearing it over the attached briefs part gives it a better smoother nicer,flatter tidier look and keeps the briefs in one place.