View Full Version : Need Club for Lake Placid???

Pandora
09-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Was looking at application on website. It wants club info and says you can not leave it blank....:??
Problem: I don't intend to join a club since I don't want to test/compete and the rinks around here will just let me "walk on" for a fee....
I used to have USFS card but let it run out since I am not going to compete...
Do you know if I have to be a member of USFS and/or have a club to attend? Did you know of anyone there who was just a "recreational skater"? :?:
(I did send an e-mail to Lake Placid but didn't hear back from them yet.)

mdvask8r
09-03-2009, 03:38 PM
What is it you want to do at LP? a competition? seminar? just skate a session?

Pandora
09-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Would love to do the Adult Week next August. It sounds like it is a lot of fun!!!:D
Basically, want to meet other adults who love skating and maybe make friends to stay in touch with over the net/in forum. Also, would like to work on choreography for some routines. (I make routines for myself, but not for competition/exhibition. Get too nervous.:cry:) I am what is called a "practice skater." I don't do tests or competitions, and I'm really not looking to take "lessons" except for maybe something to do with choreography...(It looks like there is a group lesson offered on that).....:) That would be cool!!

AgnesNitt
09-03-2009, 06:18 PM
I went to Lake Placid adult week last year--don't even belong to ISI.

My memory is that club and USFSA membership only count for any testing.

Pandora
09-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the info!! That's GREAT!!
On the application, there is a place where you can circle "other." So maybe that will work.....
Was just wondering if they got picky about it (since it said you couldn't leave it blank). :?? Glad to hear you were able to attend without a club/USFS/ISI membership. :D Did you like it? Would you go back again?

AgnesNitt
09-03-2009, 06:47 PM
The coaches were great. Classes varied. The off ice stuff is nice if you're under 30 and in good shape.

However, the ice was awful. Hard, nasty hockey ice, badly maintained. During one lesson the ice was such a crapfest my coach (in her 70's) stormed off the ice and chewed out the zamboni driver. The drivers would just make a token cut, but when you got on there were digs and divots and scary patches with half inch high ridges of scraped up ice frozen into toepick catching murder weapons.

LP mgt may have gotten their act together since last year, but expect hard hockey ice and have your ROH set accordingly. Skate cautious.

However, I'd planned to go back again--so it wasn't *that* awful, just disappointing. (Didn't go back bc broke ankle on RFO3 early this summer and not back in the skates yet)

Pandora
09-03-2009, 06:57 PM
WoW!!!!8O
Thank you for the honest info!! :)
Still going, but will be cautious. ;)
Very suprizing for a rink that has world class competitors/stars on ice etc.!!8O
Wonder how they manage triples on THAT??!!!8O (Well, ok maybe Yaugudin could.;))...
I live about 6 hrs. away from LP. Thinking of kidnapping hubby and taking him up there for a weekend sometime in the spring (April??) to scope everything out. Maybe can "walk on" and check out this hockey ice in person. Does anyone know if Adult Nats is being held there this year?
Maybe I will see you up there in August. Would love to meet members from the forum. Hope your ankle heals quickly!!!

AgnesNitt
09-03-2009, 07:02 PM
They had 3 things going on simultaneously. The rinks were scheduled all day and evening.

1. Adult skate camp
2. Kids skate camp
3. Some kind of Canadian Girls Hockey championships.

Maybe for the 'elites' and competitions they turn out the top of the line zamboni staff. For those of us who were of 'amateur' we didn't get the same care.
Again, this was my experience last year--it may have been an off year.

Pandora
09-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Yes, I see what you mean....Can't have Sasha Cohen hitting a huge rut as she's doing a beilmann spiral across the ice at 15 mph. OUCH!8O
Again, thanks for the warning. At least I won't think it's all me. (Why can't I do it?? I landed it yesterday. Why??!! Why??!! (It really IS the ice.:lol:)

flying~camel
09-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Does anyone know if Adult Nats is being held there this year?

Adult Nationals is being held in Minneapolis this year. It was held in Lake Placid in 2008.

Pandora
09-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Oh, thanks!!:) Yes, I heard it had been held in Lake Placid. Didn't know if it was going back there again. Have been out of the loop (on inlines) for the last 2 years. Will be returning to ice in a few weeks (if MK Phantom ever comes off backorder....GURR!!:x) Need to catch up on all this stuff!! :oops:

Kim to the Max
09-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Was looking at application on website. It wants club info and says you can not leave it blank....:??
Problem: I don't intend to join a club since I don't want to test/compete and the rinks around here will just let me "walk on" for a fee....
I used to have USFS card but let it run out since I am not going to compete...
Do you know if I have to be a member of USFS and/or have a club to attend? Did you know of anyone there who was just a "recreational skater"? :?:
(I did send an e-mail to Lake Placid but didn't hear back from them yet.)

Sometimes places need skaters to be a member of a club for insurance purposes (or so that is the line my club gives)...so if you are skating on club ice, they may require a USFS number...

Pandora
09-04-2009, 06:10 AM
Yes, I see what you mean....On inlines now. The one roller rink left in town won't let me practice freestyle because of this ...:cry: So I am on the outdoor skatepark with the skateboarders (where I really can get hurt. Cement is unsealed and worn. Worm guts, water spots, bottle caps, glass etc.:roll:)

Back to LP. They do have a waiver and a medical authorization form. If necessary, I can/will sign something else/give proof of med insurance etc....

Have written to them, so maybe they'll write back. If not, planning to take a weekend trip up there with hubby in the spring. :) Will check all this out then.

Pandora
09-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Just got e-mail from LP!! :) It says that I am allowed to participate and to leave the section blank. So I will see you next year!!! ;):D

LWalsh
09-05-2009, 12:32 PM
There is a sports accident insurance policy from USFS which requires that all skaters be a member of USFS (basic skills membership counts too). Lake Placid is run by the ORDA so perhaps they have other insurance.

Honestly being a member of the national governing body of the sport is something that all skaters should do anyway. These are the people who make the rules, train judges and officials, provide learn to skate programs, promote skating etc.

Lara

Pandora
09-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Well, I don't test or compete.....So, I guess I'm really just a very high level recreational skater.....Also, never liked following rules. :frus: Make own routines. ;) That is why I want to take some of the creative movement and dance classes. Maybe find something new...Don't have to worry about edges in a spiral sequence, spins must be of a different nature...etc. Can just have fun!!:D Also, love to meet other skaters (especially freestyle). That has been the hardest thing about skating roller/inline the past 2 years. Hardly anyone skates artistic roller (figure skating on wheels) anymore. Usually practice alone. (Especially at skatepark.) :cry: Miss skating friends. :(