View Full Version : Staying motivated when you are working on the same stuff....

Skate@Delaware
08-31-2009, 08:22 AM
I've fairly recovered from my back injury, although my skating is less than it was just before the incident. I'm working on the same stuff over-and-over again and sometimes I just don't feel like skating....

I'm sure there is a lot more to this and I try to look forward not backward and not cry about "I can't skate like I used to"

That, coupled with the lack of freestyle ice in the evenings really puts a damper on skating-I have to squeeze moves onto public sessions and jumps onto freestyle (I'm in class M/W so that only leaves Friday evenings for freestyles-I'm in lesson then so I'm sort of sunk).

Anybody else deal with this? How do you re-motivate yourself or "get it back" when it starts to slip? I guess it's like rekindling the romance but instead of my guy it's skating I need to fall in love with again.

So, I've been working on the same stuff for the past several years and it gets boring and dull; preparation for testing pre-bronze ups the ante a little bit but still.....is there anything that makes edges and all the other moves more exciting or should I just take my medicine?

RachelSk8er
08-31-2009, 11:20 AM
I get in "don't wanna skate" funks all the time, but I find that going to a competition, hopefully skating well (or even not so well), having a good time with my friends, and everything else that goes along with that tends to re-motivate me when I get back.

Sometimes taking a little break (as little as a few days, could be as much as a few weeks) until you feel like you miss skating and want to go back helps, too. Some people don't like taking time off because they fear setbacks, but when you're just going through the motions and don't want to be there, you're not really helping yourself either.

Or you can try something new...if you don't already do ice dancing, it's a great way to practice things like edges, posture, etc and will help your moves in the long run.

Skate@Delaware
08-31-2009, 11:35 AM
I think some of it is due to a lack of good ice times-no mid-day slots now those were my favorite; and maybe it just doesn't feel right-skating when it's been so warm (my rink usually didn't open until after Labor Day).

I am going to my first "pro" ice show mid-September, but this season I'm not competing, only testing (finally).

patatty
08-31-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm feeling the same exact thing. I seem to have lost most of my motivation to skate, and it doesn't feel fun anymore. For the last 5 1/2 years, I would do anything to fit in a public or freestyle session no matter what else was going on that day. Now, if there isn't a good session available, I just skip it. I'm really sad, because skating has been a little bit of an obsession for me for the last few years, and now I don't seem to care as much. I'm attributing this to (a) burnout from last year, where I tried to do too much; (b) an ankle injury which has prevented me from working on new jumps; and (c) really crummy summer ice. I"m tired of working on the same old jumps and spins, and not being able to do anything else. I'm hoping that with the return to regular ice schedules, I can get my motivation back. Around here, the summer ice sessions are unbelievably crowded, so it's nearly impossible to do programs or moves. I used to watch the clock at the rink to make sure I could fit everything in the limited amount of time I had to skate - now I watch the clock and wish that the session would hurry up and end.

kayskate
08-31-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm in the same boat w Patatty. I stopped skating except for some time before and/or after I teach. I never thought this would happen, as I have been skating for yrs and made plenty of sacrifices for it. Maybe I am tired of making sacrifices. It has also become a job (literally). I am more interested in general fitness these days (ie. going to the gym).

When recovering from an injury it is really difficult b/c you can't skate the way you used to , at least not at first. I went through that too. However, it was motivating to see moves getting better and returning to skating as I used to.

Simple answer that may not be as simple in practice: if you are working on the same old moves, you should see them improving. Skating faster into them, more height on jumps, revs on spins, etc. I like to string moves together. They may be the same elements, but strung together they create a whole or a choreographic sequence. This can be challenging.

Good luck. I know how tough this is and still have not gotten my groove back.

Kay

techskater
08-31-2009, 07:31 PM
I am back to some basics with my secondary coach and yet....I find myself highly motivated. It's all about mindset.

Morgail
08-31-2009, 08:17 PM
I get in a funk with skating sometimes, especially when struggling with an element for a long time (hello, axel). It helps me to take a session (or at least part of a session) and just do some fun skating. I'll play around with spin variations I can't really do, try to get my legs into something that resembles a spread eagle, do different kinds of spirals, go back and revisit Moves patterns I liked, see how fast I can do circles of crossovers without losing technique, work on stops (I'd love to be able to do a tango stop), make up a footwork sequence. Those days make me remember why I love skating.

teresa
08-31-2009, 10:20 PM
I get tired working on the same skills all the time too. At these times I live for learning something, anything, new. It's always a relief if my coach actually gives me something at these times. I tell myself that this new skill is my treat and I only "get" it if I worked on the old first. Works for me. =-) I find being "interested" in the new skill makes the old skills more interesting and fresh. The easier skills are supposed to make the harder easier and better. For me, I find the new actually makes the old stronger. I "get" the building block better. Backward but true for me.

I think everyone gets tired of the same old thing =-) When all else fails just fool around with a friend!

teresa

SkatEn
09-01-2009, 03:41 AM
I get in a funk with skating sometimes, especially when struggling with an element for a long time (hello, axel). It helps me to take a session (or at least part of a session) and just do some fun skating. I'll play around with spin variations I can't really do, try to get my legs into something that resembles a spread eagle, do different kinds of spirals, go back and revisit Moves patterns I liked, see how fast I can do circles of crossovers without losing technique, work on stops (I'd love to be able to do a tango stop), make up a footwork sequence. Those days make me remember why I love skating.
Oh wow, I didn't know we have the exact same issues - axels, stupid spread eagles (who made spread eagles so pretty but exclusive??), variations that literally make me see stars etc.

Actually, what I do is pretty much what Morgail said. I keep working on technique. And when I really get burned out with trying too much, too hard and injuries AND terrible ice, I take a break. I haven't touched the ice for 12 days and counting. My lesson is scheduled next next Thurs, which leaves me plenty of time to re think what I want, re group, and rejuvenate!

Work on spins. I mean really work on them. A scratch spin - headless, change edge, arms behind, one arm up and down, there's so many things to do. Sit - get lower? pancake, shot gun, cannonball, change edge, layover, tuck... Get the speed up and everything. When you get too dizzy, work on posture like stroking (bend those knees!)

Don't give up on skating!

RachelSk8er
09-01-2009, 06:55 AM
Sometimes (if you can), switching sessions helps. Sometimes I skate with higher level, home schooled skaters and I find it inspiring and seeing them pushes me to be better. Other times it does get a tad discouraging to see what their young bodies are capable of that I'm not (or no longer am). When I get in that sort of funk, I'll go on an adult session where I'm usually the most experienced/strongest skater...sometimes having someone tell me they wish they could do (insert jump/spin here) is a reminder that even though I can't skate like a 15 yr old any more, I'm still good and there are hundreds of people who wish they could do what I do. And usually I get motivated seeing how much some of them are improving, it's incredible the difference in some of them between when they started a few years ago and where their skating is at now.

Skate@Delaware
09-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys! It's comforting to know that it's not just me. I guess being post-injury and taking so freaking long to recover has taken a toll on my senses...although I've come such a long way since then I still have a bit further to go. After my lesson(s) on Friday and confirming that I will test but not compete it left me sort of hollow-I had gotten so goal-oriented with the competitions.

However, after the new group class and being told (it was a reaffirmation from my private coach) that even my basic stuff needed more "work" at first I was fairly depressed. You would have thought after 6+ years I'd be further along-but take away 2 years for the accident & recovery and I guess that's not too bad? I still have a long row to hoe and it will be back -breaking until its done I guess. At least my private coach gives me 'goodies' to work on so I move on a bit instead of waiting until the basics are perfected.

And I realize some of my recent aches are caused from my boots breaking down-my hips & knees felt like this last time my boots broke down.

We only have freestyles of one level so there isn't an option of skating up or down a session, unfortunately. There just aren't that many of us to split it up.

Anyway, I think I need to evaluate where I am NOW and set some short-term goals which I have not done yet this season. Maybe that will lift me out of the funk.

And we have a tentative test date for January/February so that is a deadline that I will have to meet. Once I figure out which rink to test at...either U of De or Skate Club of Wilmington, because it will depend on their schedule and mine.

doubletoe
09-01-2009, 02:07 PM
And when all else fails, skate a public session, where you will be so much faster, smoother and coordinated than everyone else! :D

niupartyangel
09-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I agree with doubletoe...and just to put some more excitement, how about looking up other rinks in your area that you haven't skated in before, and go to a public skate for those...different faces, different venue :)

Just today I was so tired from work, and I had to haul butt to get into my 5:30 pm freestyle on time (just got back from it actually)...and I WAS SO NOT in the mood today to skate. So i told myself, well it's already paid for (contract) so I just won't do anything intense, just the wacky 3 turn pattern and waltz 8 for pre-bronze moves...no jumps and spins today...well what do you know once I got there I was motivated again and spent the last 20 mins or so of the hour on jumps and spins....

For the gym, I don't get motivated everytime to go, but lately I've been obeying this rule: I will get my bag together, go there, and if I STILL don't feel like doing anything I will turn around and go back to my desk (gym is in the office building)...but usually by the time I'm in the locker room it's silly to go back around so I just stay. I might do a lighter workout than usual say a lesser incline/speed on the elliptical and maybe skip the weights and just do stretching after cardio... but at least I did something and still feel accomplished. So that's what I tried to do today on the ice.

I was in a similar rut last year becuase i was never moving anywhere beyond FS 3 and the change foot spin was holding me back. I even contemplated quitting because I thought "well this is it, can't get past this"....but my coach told me if I was interested in testing for the first time, we can work on the pre-bronze Moves and FS and that would mix things up a bit. And voila, it did. It definitely helped me to have a particular goal that is more tangible rather than just completing this spin or landing this jump....(passing the test---since i dont think i want to compete) and it is fun again.

Hope this helps!

Skate@Delaware
09-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I think it would be more fun if any of the other ladies in my group were interested in testing...so far they haven't expressed an interest. If they did, we could would on our moves together. As of now, we just have a class together.

The closest rink is about an hour away and I'm not sure I can make their skate session with my current schedule (they also don't allow jumps on public and their freestyle is in the evening-same time as my college classes).

I'm hoping things will change when it gets closer to show season...when practice starts back up I get a bit more excited!

RachelSk8er
09-02-2009, 08:13 AM
I think it would be more fun if any of the other ladies in my group were interested in testing...so far they haven't expressed an interest. If they did, we could would on our moves together. As of now, we just have a class together.

The closest rink is about an hour away and I'm not sure I can make their skate session with my current schedule (they also don't allow jumps on public and their freestyle is in the evening-same time as my college classes).

I'm hoping things will change when it gets closer to show season...when practice starts back up I get a bit more excited!

Are you close enough to UDel that you could skate there? I imagine skating with Julie, Heather and the rest of their adult crew would be a blast (and would push you to get better).

Skate@Delaware
09-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Are you close enough to UDel that you could skate there? I imagine skating with Julie, Heather and the rest of their adult crew would be a blast (and would push you to get better).
I could go up there, it's about an hour away. When do they skate? I think skating with "new" people is always energizing!

RachelSk8er
09-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I could go up there, it's about an hour away. When do they skate? I think skating with "new" people is always energizing!

No idea. (I live in Ohio and see them at competitions.) But the whole UDel adult crew is really nice, I've met some of them at adult competitions and their adult synchro skaters at synchro comps. They probably have enough numbers for adult-only figure skating sessions.

Skate@Delaware
09-02-2009, 07:38 PM
No idea. (I live in Ohio and see them at competitions.) But the whole UDel adult crew is really nice, I've met some of them at adult competitions and their adult synchro skaters at synchro comps. They probably have enough numbers for adult-only figure skating sessions.

Ok i get ya! Unfortunately, UofDe doesn't have adult-only session (here is a link to their schedule http://www.udel.edu/icearena/issdc/schedule.htm (http://www.udel.edu/icearena/issdc/schedule.html)

Last time I skated up their on a "low" session, it was terrifying! Of course, that was years ago when I could barely skate (and in the summer-their ice was crowded). I'll have to ask my group coach, as he teaches up there. Might be worth heading up just for a change of pace!

jwrnsktr
09-05-2009, 02:51 PM
So good to read all of these posts. My "problem" is two-fold - 1) I'm an adult skater who started late (46) and never had any ballet or gymnastics training so it is very hard and I feel limited, especially since some of the left stuff never, ever seems to improve no matter how hard I try. I find myself doing the same things over and over, even in lessons. Poor coach must be bored out of him mind. 2) I am often the ONLY skater on the ice. The few skating buddies I had have all gone on to other things. Basically, I'm lonely. Having said all of that, however, I'm drawn to it like a moth to the flame and just don't want to quit. I keep plugging away. One day I will have a great spin. I will!

fsk8r
09-05-2009, 03:38 PM
I think I'm another one stuck in a similar rut. I've now spent the better part of a year getting back to full fitness following a serious car accident. I got back to skating as soon as possible as it was a way to rehabilitate.
However, whilst in the initial stages I forgave myself for not being able to do things that I used to do pre-accident, that's now passed as the body has become more mobile, and I find that due to falls caused by the limitations in my movement I've lost my confidence doing some things. This then creates a vicious circle as the mental games start.
And now I've just got to the point where I don't feel like I'm making any progress. I told this to my coach today and she said that I'd actaully made a lot of progress, but also admitted that whilst I'm feeling negative about things I might not believe her when she says that and she did remind me about how it's been a difficult year. Part of me just wants to quit and the fighter in me doesn't want to let the idiot who smashed my car up beat me and take away something that I used to love.
Anyone know how to start recognising where you are making progress when you feel like you're going nowhere / backwards? (and how to stop the mental games?) Someone mentioned to me that when you think you're not going progressing it's actually when you're about to make a giant leap forward.

Skate@Delaware
09-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Like jwrnsktr I did not have dance or anything when I was younger...we lived too far in the "sticks" and living on a farm made anything like that impractical (add the fact that I skipped a lot of gym because I hated it) made for a gangly and uncoordinated adult late-learner!

But I guess I'm too dumb or hard-headed to quit as well!

fsk8r, I can tell that I've made progress since my injury and surgery/recovery. When I was first skating after my surgery I would fall over doing CCW crossovers. I no longer fall over-that's progress. I also could not tell you where all my body parts where or why I messed up a move and now I can (most of the time). That is progress and an important part of skating.

I've been digesting everything in this post and seeing what I can do to make things work for me; also been working on "creative visualization" where you visualize yourself doing a move and you break it down into the smallest detail and you visualize yourself doing it. I'm hoping that it works for me as well.

sk8tegirl06
09-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Ok i get ya! Unfortunately, UofDe doesn't have adult-only session (here is a link to their schedule http://www.udel.edu/icearena/issdc/schedule.htm (http://www.udel.edu/icearena/issdc/schedule.html)

Last time I skated up their on a "low" session, it was terrifying! Of course, that was years ago when I could barely skate (and in the summer-their ice was crowded). I'll have to ask my group coach, as he teaches up there. Might be worth heading up just for a change of pace!

Low sessions over the summer 8O 8O 8O I skate at UD, during the school year low sessions are a little bit closer to the definition of "low" (no Test-prejuv I think). Most of the adult skaters tend to skate in the morning before work, I have seen a few attempt afternoon/evening sessions after work. If you can swing it, my personal favorite session to skate is 8-8:40am it is listed as "open" I believe. It tends to be the perfect timing because most of the little kids are at school but most of the high level skaters haven't started for the day. I skated that session last week and there was probably 5-7 skaters and a smattering of coaches.

Adult only sessions would be lovely but do not exist here. I think Wilmington may have some adult only sessions, not sure about the times though. Anything at UD after about 4pm or so picks up with the afterschool crowd.

Skate@Delaware
09-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Yeah, by the time my son catches the bus it's 8 am already...so that is hard to work into my schedule (it's an hour + drive), altho I'd love to make it work (maybe one day?). I wish we had early morning sessions (our ice just SITS there...empty)

Kim to the Max
09-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Yeah, by the time my son catches the bus it's 8 am already...so that is hard to work into my schedule (it's an hour + drive), altho I'd love to make it work (maybe one day?). I wish we had early morning sessions (our ice just SITS there...empty)

Maybe you can work with the rink on this if they are open to it...my club has worked with the rink, but the ice WOULD just sit there not being used, so we have a system where we are charged a simple "pass thru" with the money....it is $5/person that the club collects and gives directly to the rink, we are not making money nor are we purchasing the ice and they are getting paid for ice that would not normally be used...

Skate@Delaware
09-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Maybe you can work with the rink on this if they are open to it...my club has worked with the rink, but the ice WOULD just sit there not being used, so we have a system where we are charged a simple "pass thru" with the money....it is $5/person that the club collects and gives directly to the rink, we are not making money nor are we purchasing the ice and they are getting paid for ice that would not normally be used...
I wish that would work for us; since the rink changed management a ton of things changed. No one shows up until an hour before ice begins (where before the rink was open 7:00 am until it closed after late-night hockey practice). We used to be able to "drop-in" and pay the regular fee, plus there were daytime "homeschooler" sessions. No more. Such a shame that it's all gone.

but I'm going to make the best of what we have and not whine about it. We are open 10 months of the year now instead of 7.

sk8tegirl06
09-07-2009, 05:25 PM
The other option is the Sunday morning ice time. I'm not sure what the adult population looks like at these sessions...

londonicechamp
09-11-2009, 06:18 AM
Hi SkatEn

No wonder I did not see you in the rink yesterday.

My coach will be away on holiday, from next Wednesday to the 28th September. Hopefully I will still show up for practice on next Thursday.

londonicechamp

Skate@Delaware
09-11-2009, 06:37 AM
My coach informed me tonight's lesson will be it for two weeks-she has work & family obligations that conflict. So that leaves us off the ice for lessons until then. It wouldn't be so bad if we had weekend freestyle sessions but we don't and the other rink isn't open yet (just a few more weeks for that).

Skate@Delaware
09-15-2009, 11:17 AM
I've had some good skates, set some goals for the season and with the new group class (which started out as adults but has transformed to higher-level) which is focusing on details it's been a refreshing of skating.

I talked with both of my coaches, and it does seem that "burnout" is very popular and common with skaters of all levels. Add to that some stress, illness, etc and no wonder!

My group coach is committed to seeing my skills build sufficiently so I can pass my pre-bronze test this year. My private coach is also in the same boat. so, we are all rowing together and wanting to achieve this. But it does mean working on some very boring stuff (edges, stroking, etc) along with breaking in these painful boots (they need a punchout).

So, here is some re-motivational stuff:
-music, 1-2 downloads per week, playing while I practice
-a strict schedule of (X) minutes per element each practice session before I can work on "fun" stuff
-rewards!!! Once I achieve a certain competency of an element consistently, I will reward myself (my first reward will be attending a REAL ice show); my 2nd reward will be purchasing a cashmere sweater!

I have to treat this almost like a job where the work comes first, then play. I am hoping to test January or February of 2010 so I don't have that much time, a re-test will take some re-working and re-scheduling before rinks close.

So, that's that in a nutshell! Thanks everyone for you help, tips and info! I do hope to meet up with some of you at another rink (some I already have).