View Full Version : This is weird but...

niupartyangel
08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
I really feel I skate better during my lessons, which frustrates me because I can only afford one 1 hour lesson a week. And when I practice on my own I know what I need to work on, as my coach gives me a small laundry list of things to do...but I really think that my jumps and spins always turn out better when she's around! 8O

Especially for jumps and spins I would be elated after my practice/lesson on Saturday, because I finally "got" something and she complimented me which will be a validation...then come tuesday when I'm on my own during contract ice, I suck again. Even if I don't fall, the quality is just not there as the previous time I was on the ice.... Blah! Anyone else go through this from time to time?

jp1andOnly
08-25-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm the opposite. I do really well on my own, then I get in my lesson and can't do anything. I think I just put too much pressure on myself :)

I really feel I skate better during my lessons, which frustrates me because I can only afford one 1 hour lesson a week. And when I practice on my own I know what I need to work on, as my coach gives me a small laundry list of things to do...but I really think that my jumps and spins always turn out better when she's around! 8O

Especially for jumps and spins I would be elated after my practice/lesson on Saturday, because I finally "got" something and she complimented me which will be a validation...then come tuesday when I'm on my own during contract ice, I suck again. Even if I don't fall, the quality is just not there as the previous time I was on the ice.... Blah! Anyone else go through this from time to time?

Kim to the Max
08-25-2009, 10:12 PM
I find that there are somethings I can do better in a lesson (ahem...that stupid camel/back sit that seems to go on vacay somewhere warm)...but there are other things that I cannot do for the life of me (if I'm on a role with axels, they will fall to pieces when I'm in a lesson with my regular coach). Oh well :) it happens...

PinkLaces
08-25-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm the opposite. I do really well on my own, then I get in my lesson and can't do anything. I think I just put too much pressure on myself :)

Me, too! I was doing great on loops in the group lesson tonight. As soon as my coach was watching, I started messing up

katz in boots
08-26-2009, 03:45 AM
I always used to be the opposite. Never used to be able to produce in front of the coach in a lesson what I could do in practise. New coach, now it's the opposite:roll: Which wouldn't be so bad if she weren't off performing for
5 weeks now. Wondering what practises will be like by the time she gets back.:lol:

doubletoe
08-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Do you take notes after your lesson to remind you of the specific techniques that worked during your lesson?

If you do, and there's no other explanation you can think of, maybe it's just psychological and you will also skate your best when you're in front of judges! :D

niupartyangel
08-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Not everytime :( I should do that after every lesson now though, you are right! Like keeping a journal. I do have a "skating binder" in my bag but I should take careful notes so i have something to refer to when i'm on my own.