View Full Version : Test Scheduled or Applied Too Late - Lessons & Practices 8/24 thru 8/30

dbny
08-24-2009, 02:36 PM
The title refers to the all to common phenomenon of getting locked out of the test session you want because you applied too late. I just experienced a frustrating variation on this theme.

Applied Too Late:
I was unable to get into the club test sessions that I need (I can only test in the evenings, and most are mornings) before August, and my coach is away all month. So, of course, yesterday I got a call asking if I could make this Wednesday's test session :x. If I'd thought I had a chance of getting into that one, I would have had lesson or two with a different dance coach at our rink and gone for it, but now, of course, it's too late and I'll have to wait till October.

As for the actual skating - haven't been doing too much of it. I just started back to work after camping and have only had one chance to practice. I forced myself to begin spinning again, and I really did have to force myself. It wasn't too bad, but not very good either. Fear is such a disruptor!

Test Scheduled:
Hey, at least I know I'm in for October! Ran through all three dances, and though at least one was too slow, I know I'll be OK on it with my coach partnering me. Except for spins, everything seems to be fairly intact after no practice for the past two months. Can't wait till I start lesson again in Sept!

FlyAndCrash
08-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Applied too late:

I'm cramming for a test session on Wednesday. Previously, my moves were decent, but have gone downhill with my coach being gone last week. Not to mention that I actually turned in the application late... But I'm on the test schedule, so we'll see how practice goes tomorrow.

Scheduled:

I actually don't care that much whether I pass or not... It sounds weird, but I only signed up for this session because I wanted to get the moves out of the way, but didn't really have an expectation to pass. I'll still be bummed though if I end up not testing, but there is always next time.

Applied too late:

Today, pretty much everything was not at test standard except the slide chasse... Lovely...

aussieskater
08-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Applied too late ...

...but I didn't! I applied in plenty of time and was scheduled for our September test session. B-u-u-u-t the test convenor told me a few days ago that they have so many freeskate tests to do that they may not bother calling a dance panel, but rather kick all the dance tests off to the "dance priority" test session at the end of November.

What makes me really cranky is that they're accepting test applications from freeskate candidates who applied after I did - and I'm the one who gets bumped! (Not just me of course - all the dance test are likely to be bumped.) It's not like the session was listed as "freeskate priority" - it's just a regular test session as far as I can tell.

I had hoped to use the September test session to get through the level for the year, and use the November test as insurance in case I missed and had to retake. That plan is kaput if I can't do the September test, because the November session is the last one for the year.

PinkLaces
08-24-2009, 08:31 PM
On defense of the test chair....since I am our club's test chair...I found I have to set very firm deadlines. There is a lot to coordinate and a lot of paperwork and e-mailing.

Applied too late Ugh! Just about everything tonight. Bronze moves stunk. My beautiful salchow from last week was gone away. Lost my foot behind action on the toe loop(but was gaining it back by session end). I can land the flip, but it came to a dead stop right where I landed. I am doing something wrong, but since I was not in a lesson coach couldn't tell me what.

Trying to get a dance coach that can partner with my DD to commit has thrown our whole fall schedule out of whack. He has finally commited today. All the sessions I wanted for DD and I are full for lessons. We are going to have to take what's left and can't car pool like I was hoping to.

Test Scheduled Backspin is coming back! I have nice crossed feet position for about 3-4 revs. Used a a tip about entry into my sit spin and was getting lower. Yay!

Kat12
08-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Too Late: Last day of summer classes...but I finally decided on a fall class. At the time I prefer, but not with the instructor I prefer...but perhaps I'll like this instructor (I suppose I shouldn't say I prefer the other one until I actually know this one, right?). 3-turns sorta poo on a couple. Darn.

Two-foot spins still not great. I had a couple fast/long ones--though not any that were fast AND I didn't lose my balance at some point--but still a couple I was impressed with. Not sure I'll EVER be able to learn one-foot spins...if I have been working on two-foot spins so long and still haven't even mastered THOSE. I know half my problem with the fast/long ones and losing balance is that somewhere deep in my subconscious, my brain goes "OMG REALLY FAST GONNA DIE" and makes my body attempt to compensate...so I stumble...and then conscious-brain starts to take over and says "OMG REALLY FAST THAT'S THE POINT" and then usually I'm okay and the spin finishes nicely...gotta figure out how to train subconscious-brain!

Tried bunny hops tonight and, well...they sucked!

Just left the ice feeling a bit down. I know I have made progress, but not very fast progress. I know it would be faster progress if I got more practice time. But still. Discouraging. I can't help but feel like I'm way behind where I should be at this point--surely having skated this long I should be past fumbling on back edges (and having "meh" front edges) and back crossovers and two-foot spins...but I'm not. I can't even do a bunny hop or hockey stop. I keep telling myself I shouldn't expect more, since I'm not able to spend hours on the ice every day, but still...sometimes I think, "I'm always going to be awkward and stuck on the basics, so why am I bothering?"

Scheduled: I did, as I said, see improvement in my two-foot spins. So I suppose that's something.

Side toe hops not bad, either.

And the back progressives did improve. My CCW progressives are now up to the par of the CW ones...which isn't saying much, but. And I'm sure I'll regress next time I skate, but oh well. It'll come back with some work.

blue111moon
08-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Applied too Late: Well, not exactly. The rink-run free skating sessions ended last week and won't start until until mid-September. Club contract ice begins September 10 but they're running a couple weeks of "open freestyle walk-on" to bridge the gap but only on Thursdays and Fridays. The rink was supposed to be offering "several" sessions a week for figure skaters but now we've found out that they are down to three split between two locations. Very frustrating to schedule lessons.

So unless I want to truck from one end of the state to another for ice (and I refuse to spend more time in my car than on the ice), it looks like I'm going to have limited ice time this year. And just when I'm getting back into shape enough to use more time.

And in defense of the test chair who moved all the dance tests to another date, I've done that myself. Dance tests, especially the higher ones that require 3-judge panels, can cost the club more than price of the entry fee. If you only have a handful of tests, it might not be cost-effective to bring in a whole panel just for those few minutes. And relatively few pairs/singles judges are also dance judges so you can't generally assemble one panel that can do both. It's frustrating for the skater but clubs need to pay bills, too.

LilJen
08-25-2009, 02:55 PM
bluemoon, we have the same trouble with dance test judges. We're a small club, and not many people are doing dance (I know of only two who are above Bronze level). It's just hard to get judges with the right certifications for certain levels of dance. We may end up doing dance test sessions just once a year (we only have 3-4 test sessions per year), but it really doesn't encourage anyone to work on dance much. Not that very many of our coaches even do dance with their students (actually only 1 or 2 out of a dozen or so). . .

Anyhoo. . .

Applied too late: Could NOT initiate a one-footed spin from one foot today to save my life. From a standstill from two feet to one foot, okay, but not with an actual stupid entrance. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get this.
Can't seem to control my free leg & torso on fwd cross strokes. Hard to keep the upper body totally quiet and centered and yet the knees nice and soft. Doesn't bother me on the back cross strokes for some reason.

Test scheduled: Back inside 3s were almost really good today--much smoother, fewer touchdowns, bigger tracings. Better than the back outside 3s, strangely.
Strangely, the backspins from an inside 3-turn were working intermittently. I guess I haven't totally lost confidence in my backspins so maybe that's why. . .

aussieskater
08-25-2009, 05:11 PM
And in defense of the test chair who moved all the dance tests to another date, I've done that myself. Dance tests, especially the higher ones that require 3-judge panels, can cost the club more than price of the entry fee. If you only have a handful of tests, it might not be cost-effective to bring in a whole panel just for those few minutes. And relatively few pairs/singles judges are also dance judges so you can't generally assemble one panel that can do both. It's frustrating for the skater but clubs need to pay bills, too.

I hear you, but in the dancers' defence, down here most judges who can judge freeskate can judge the lower level dances as well, and I believe that as our judges are volunteers, no payment is necessary. I'm not sure whether any test applications were made for the higher dance levels (which would require empanelling of higher-level dance judges).

kimberley801
08-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Test Scheduled: I had an epiphany about my one foot/scratch spin, which has been terribly uncentered - my posture was totally wrong! I was leaning forward and sticking out my butt. Fixed the posture by tightening my core muscles and then found my center! Now to get consistent at it...

Applied too late: Still rushing the entrance to the spin, which throws off my balance and makes centering nearly impossible. I really have to concentrate and tell myself to hang on to the RFO edge before the spin. Also fell on several toe loops. No idea why. It's my most consistent jump.

PinkLaces
08-25-2009, 08:38 PM
I hear you, but in the dancers' defence, down here most judges who can judge freeskate can judge the lower level dances as well, and I believe that as our judges are volunteers, no payment is necessary. I'm not sure whether any test applications were made for the higher dance levels (which would require empanelling of higher-level dance judges).

If dance judges are easier to get where you are, the test person probably feels more comfortable postponing the dance part. I have heck of a time scheduling 3 dance judges. If I could get 3, there is no way I'd postpone it.

In the US judges are volunteers who don't get paid. However, we do have to pay them mileage(I think it's $.54/mile round-trip) for driving out and feed them. Though we aren't technically supposed to give gifts to the judges, most clubs in my area do so we do, too. They usuallly get extra stuff from our fund-raisers and competition goody bags- roll-up blankets, Christmas Wreaths, pocket screwdriver.

I feel your pain and disappointment in not being able to test your dances. My DD has about 2 chances a year to test dance.

niupartyangel
08-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Test Scheduled:
practiced pre-bronze moves today, and I'm even getting more confident on the left (my weak side) the wacky 3-turn pattern. Also waltz-8 getting more consistent, I don't struggle holding the back outside edges anymore before the stepping forward part prior to starting the next circle.

Oh and I can do a backward lunge now...LOL just went for it by swinging my free leg forward really stronger than my previous attempts in the past, and going down really low on my knee, and voila...still had to struggle with keeping my balance once i was in position, but I didn't topple over.

Applied Too Late: Still struggling with the loop, and spins not so good today. I skated at the rink across my house today which is not as well kept (and the ice not resurfaced as often) as my regular rink...so I could feel the bumps and stuff when going into the spin...also there were the dreaded lumps on the ice that forms from condensation droplets falling on the ceiling, which threw me off a bit when practicing moves :P

PinkLaces
08-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Test Scheduled I landed my loop :D:D:D:D:D Not only once, but many times tonight. Group coach even verified that they were in the correct position. I am beyond thrilled. I did an hour of practice ice before the group lesson. Bronze moves seemed better. Tried a number of spin combinations - camel/sit, sit/back sit, camel/sit/back sit, camel/back spin, etc. Could only hold 2-3 revs in each position, but am happy with that. This is the first time that I have worked on spins since coach and I started them last week.

Applied too late I think it was too much to hope for that I would also land the flip tonight. Two footed all landings - worked with group coach on getting the proper pull back.

aussieskater
08-25-2009, 11:47 PM
If dance judges are easier to get where you are, the test person probably feels more comfortable postponing the dance part.

Lower level judges are generally fairly available; higher-ones definitely not so. All judges are treasured down here - they give up their personal time for the love of the sport! And yes, I do help out at the club and would love to become a judge one day, but so far I have nowhere near the level of knowledge to consider it. Maybe one day...

I feel your pain and disappointment in not being able to test your dances. My DD has about 2 chances a year to test dance. (not pain and disappointment - more just a bit of irritation that having applied months ago, all our club's dance testers still don't know if the test session will be held. And they have our $ already.)

BTW, congrats on the loop!

Test scheduled Got a good basic dance edges practice in yesterday, which was badly needed.

Just for fun, tried with a friend to convert the Dutch Waltz into waltz hold (so one partner goes forward and the other backwards). Lots of fun (but not a lot of success! :P)

BatikatII
08-26-2009, 09:47 AM
test scheduled

Ran through all level 5 field moves and actually managed all of them - not fast, not pretty but I had got into a terrible habit of putting my free foot down to assist in the back inside double 3s and on Tuesday I did the whole length without putting it down once. The 3 turn, cross front, back outside 3, mohawk to outside edge repeat from cross in front move, even worked for a whole length too :)

Dance lift improving and feeling a lot easier to get into now (an upside down lift I'm told is called 'the shovel' - not a pretty name!) and we did not wimp out of it in the free dance programme. Yay!

Beautifully centred upright spin today.

applied too late

Ice on Monday had patches that felt like glue - very off-putting. Had skates sharpened today and couldn't do my back double turns any more and the ice was nasty and ripple-y.

Backspin awol again:cry:

liz_on_ice
08-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Tests Scheduled - great thread title - it's literal for me this week. I scheduled Pre-Bronze moves and free - AND I PASSED THEM BOTH!!!!

LilJen
08-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Congratulations, Liz!!

flo
08-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Congrats to Liz and pinklaces, lots of progress here!
Applied late: The first session at the rink was a mess. I stopped counting at 25 skaters and of all levels of skill and cluelessness. Lots of little kids without any supervision or idea of what was going on around them. We just worked on some spins and footwork, less the mothers of the clueless little darlings complain, but the dance team was all over the place. Needless to say, the more seasoned skaters were very frustrated.

Scheduled: Most of the tots went home before the last session, so we were able to get a few things in. We were on lesson and there were still a couple people who didn't get it. It doesn't bother me when people are actually working on things, but there were quite a few just milling around. Grrrr.

PinkLaces
08-26-2009, 01:43 PM
congrats liz!!!!

PinkLaces
08-26-2009, 01:49 PM
would love to become a judge one day, but so far I have nowhere near the level of knowledge to consider it. Maybe one day...

(not pain and disappointment - more just a bit of irritation that having applied months ago, all our club's dance testers still don't know if the test session will be held. And they have our $ already.)

That would be awesome if you became a judge one day. :P My DD's goal is to get through her gold dances before she graduates. I'm encouraging her to become a dance judge after she reaches that goal. Hope you find out soon about your test session.

aussieskater
08-26-2009, 05:09 PM
(PinkLaces - did the loop stay with you today? Hope so!)

Congratulations Liz on Ice!

sk8pics
08-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Congrats to liz_on_ice!

I don't post much lately, but I've been off the ice for a month due to a vacation, and today was my first day back on the ice, with my coach. And it was one of those magical sessions when everything went right: not crowded, pristine and freshly cut ice that was just the right level of hardness, and everything I tried was at least as good if not better as when I last skated. My coach and I were both laughing in amazement. Truly a magical moment. I'm savoring it, as I know it won't be that way forever, LOL!

doubletoe
08-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Congrats to liz_on_ice!

I don't post much lately, but I've been off the ice for a month due to a vacation, and today was my first day back on the ice, with my coach. And it was one of those magical sessions when everything went right: not crowded, pristine and freshly cut ice that was just the right level of hardness, and everything I tried was at least as good if not better as when I last skated. My coach and I were both laughing in amazement. Truly a magical moment. I'm savoring it, as I know it won't be that way forever, LOL!

Aaaahhhh!! :D I'll savor it with you. Looove those rare perfect practice sessions!

I actually had one myself last Friday! And the icing on the cake was that Carolina Kostner was on the ice at the same time, skating her program! I figure a little super skater dust must have blown off of her and settled on me as she whizzed past. ;)

And congratulations to PinkLaces and Liz!! :bow:

Skate@Delaware
08-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Congrats Liz on passing Pre-Bronze!!!

Congrats PinkLaces on landing your loop (its a doozy of a jump to get)!!

dbny
08-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Tests Scheduled - great thread title - it's literal for me this week. I scheduled Pre-Bronze moves and free - AND I PASSED THEM BOTH!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!
(I knew you would pass)

PinkLaces
08-26-2009, 08:53 PM
I got an extra lesson with coach tonight. Can you believe it - she didn't ask to see my loop at all?!?!?!? Waltz, Waltz-toe, toe loop, salchow, 1/2 flip, flip - no loop.

Test Scheduled Coach had me do waltz, toe loop, and salchow. She liked them all. Then she started having me do what she called "the set up." Forward or backward crossovers then either a mohawk or 3 turn forward cross-over then into the jump. She wanted me to get up more power and speed as well as more ice coverage. She was happy with my progress. Wow! I had so much fun with this. My jumps were much bigger and more fun.

Applied too late I tried a flip using the set up. I got all the way around but landed on 2 feet. Could only get 1 rev on the camel tonight. Coach liked the position, but kept saying "why do you think you're done after 1 rev? Hold it." Sit spin not very low and butt in the air. I am attributing that to working with my trainer this afternoon. She was very big on lunges and squats today.

niupartyangel
08-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Congratulations Liz!!!!

I'm pretty anxious to get my pre-bronze moves and freeskate tests over with too 8O

Isk8NYC
08-27-2009, 06:54 AM
Congratulations to liz_on_ice!!!

LilJen
08-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Test Scheduled: Could it be? Am I actually FINALLY getting the idea of how to do a 3-turn into both backspins and forward spins? The knee over the toe comment somehow made something click today in my spin lesson. I plan to spend lots of time off-ice in that position in attempts to lock it into my brain. I don't care if everyone thinks I'm weird. (Oh, and that plus CoachPA's summary of a top coach's spin-teaching technique, with the opposite arm in front on the 3-turn that initiates a spin--means that my arms are flailing less, causing my shoulders to be less wacko. Whee!! Thanks for your blog, CoachPA!!)

Applied too late: Hm, back 3s on my left foot--more BO3 than BI3--aren't happening as easily as on the other side. I guess that's normal, but I'm wondering if my blade mounting needs to be tweaked. Just doesn't feel very secure.

Skate@Delaware
08-27-2009, 07:39 PM
LilJen, everyone has one side that is better than the other side, just the way it is and I'm sure that also applies to back 3's (my worst side for forward 3's is my better side for back 3's...go figure?); glad you are getting them 3-turn into spins, that's a big step forward!

Test Scheduled: skated today, back was still SORE from my splat last Friday...and I felt very uneven (as in one leg actually felt longer than the other which was probably true with my muscles all out of whack). On a very positive note, I had the whole freestyle session to myself so I played MY music and I was not charged since I helped last week with skate camp! Yay!

Ran thru everything and did some decent scratch spins especially noted something on one that was very interesting: I had my free leg high and when I pulled it in and I was in a great stretched position, I was able to cross it and it actually was no effort to slide it down my leg to my ankle down to the ice! It was effortless and I didn't have to fight at all. Could my spins of old be coming back finally? I do hope so it's been years since I've spun like this!

Did a few loops and landed them on one foot, with the help of champion cords (i.e. attached to my free foot and held in same-side hand...so I could feel that side of the body). Did 4 of them; didn't temp fate so I stopped while I was ahead.

Applied too late: Stupid toe-loop jump...for some dumb reason I am not toe-ing in but just skimming the ice (ie toe-waltzing....grrr!!!) I think I need to go back to my thinking of "kill the ice" with my toepick!

And I have a lesson tomorrow with my coach and a group class! The other ladies are going to pick up one on Friday's since we are not doing Saturday's sooooo as long as my coach says "yes" which I am sure she will I will be skating with the girls again (the 45+ group)

londonicechamp
08-28-2009, 04:21 AM
This is for this week's lesson. I have only gone ice skating once this week, as opposed to 3 times, due to my gastroenteritis. Argggghhhhhh!!!!! 8O

Test scheduled:
Jumps, spins, mohawks and forward crossovers were all perfectly nice, when coach asked me to do them element by element. :lol:

Learnt the toe loop, toe loop. Not too bad either. :D

Learnt the backward 3 turns on the left leg. Managed to do 2 small ones towards the end of the session, without the coach's assistance.

Applied too late

Once put all the jumps, spins and mohawks etc into a program, then I seem to rush them, and the elements are not clearly seen. Just need to work more on them, to make sure that I get this problem solved.

Arggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had to cancel yesterday afternoon's lesson coz my gastrenteritis came back. Went to see dr. did all the scans and tests, results came out negative. Dr suspected that I may have got some kind of viral infection from food poisoning. Wasted not going to lesson. Grrrrhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frus:

PinkLaces
08-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Applied too late Went to the public session by my house today. I'd peeked at it on Wednesday and it was pretty empty. Not today. It didn't help that there was some hockey dad with 5 kids. He would spread them out along the width of the ice. Then they would race along playing red light/green light. The only problem was these kids couldn't stop and would dive sliding nearly missing people. After avoiding these kids several times, I told the hockey dad that what they were doing was dangerous. He was pissed, but stopped that game. He sent 2 of the girls probably age 10 to follow behind me and get in my way. These kids were in full hockey gear minus the sticks.

I got off the ice because I couldn't even do the forward moves patterns. I did ask at the desk where the rink guard was and they said they don't have one, because it's usually so dead during the day. Well, hockey try-outs will be starting after labor day so there were a lot of hockey kids and kids just learning to skate out there. I told them what that guy had been doing and asked them to watch that he didn't start it again when I left. I told them I didn't want them to get sued if those kids injure someone. They gave me my money back and I went upstairs to work out where it was safe(we have a YMCA in the same building and the back of the weight room looks out over the rink). What gets into some of these hockey dads :frus: They have open hockey by age group that hockey kids can skate on.

Test Scheduled After I left, they kicked that guy and the kids off the rink (when I left they told me they've had problems with him before). :twisted:

I got some good news this week. I talked a couple adults into taking the ice dance class with me this fall. They talked 2 more people into. So now we will have 5 adult skaters in the class. YAY! :D

Skate@Delaware
08-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Test Scheduled: had my first lesson of the season with my coach!!!! It was a very productive lesson! We covered lots of ground and I committed to testing pre-bronze (and I will have myself committed I'm sure LOL!)

We hit scratch spins (which were wonky because of my recent splat-my muscles were still tight and unresponsive); backspins were really good; back inside edges weren't as bad as I thought they were; and progress on the alternating 3-turns

Applied too late: always fighting with the salchow and toe-loop....I need to hold these 3-turns longer and on the toe-loop my free foot had been turned out too far, maybe that was why it's been a struggle lately?

Waltz jump was weird and tentative; my arms were down too far and that threw me off.

For group classes, it was a repeat of alternating 3-turns which was nice! Then we hit crossovers and this coach is very demanding but thorough; although he doesn't expect perfection he does expect great technique. He noticed my balance issue (yeah it was very obvious) and although he can't "fix" it he did say he can work with it and help me become more comfortable with it.

Kim to the Max
08-30-2009, 08:23 PM
[Test Scheduled]
Well, that is quite literal right now....temporary coach just signed the papers tonight for me to test my juv free and my junior moves...moves are a stretch right now (the power pulls are the death of me), but regular coach wants me to try 8O I just need to find an exec board member for my club (no one was there tonight) to sign the paper so I can send it in.

Today was my first time REALLY skating for about 4 weeks...two of those weeks I was relegated to moves only because of a sprained ankle and the other two I had to work and skated only 3 mornings where I only did moves (because jumping at 6am does not agree with me). So, I was surprised when I did a few clean-ish axels.

Temporary coach had me do my program and she said it was good and if she were judging it, she would only have me reskate my camel/back-sit because I was one rev short on the back sit. And then she had me do my program a 2nd time! ((I haven't done my program since I sprained my ankle...it was ROUGH, but if I'm going to test, I need to get that stamina back)).

[Applied Too Late]
My ankle is still slightly sore. It doesn't HURT, but it's sore. It may be because this is the most exercise I've done on it, really since I injured it (due to work...we did walk every where on campus, but that's not really "exercise").

Power pulls were absolute crap today. I don't understand....I was doing that VERY well when I was doing them in the mornings, and today....they were a NO GO...:twisted: :frus: I couldn't even get through the first foot :(

My camel/back sit has fallen to pieces...the camel is fine (and has actually gotten better), it's the back sit that sucks...temp coach wants me to try putting a camel/sit/back sit in my test program to see if that solves the issue...but I end up doing too many revolutions then because I lose count in the forward sit...

RachelSk8er
08-31-2009, 09:06 AM
Applied Too Late: Well...it finally happened....after zillions of years of skating and well over 100 total competitions, test sessions and ice shows in my life (multiple events in most of those competitions)...I fell. It was bound to happen at some point, and at Peach I fell not once, but twice (in 2 different events).

First fall was in the first RBO edge in the end pattern to the American waltz in solo dance. I basically ran out of room and got distracted and next thing you know, boom. Ugh.

Test Scheduled:
I went out for my freeskate figuring what's the worst that can happen...I'd already fallen that day. Put out the best free skate since I started freestyle a few years ago. I was relaxed, I was thinking through my program, finishing one element before moving on to the next and not rushing, and, for the first time, really enjoying myself (love my new program), even though my program is new and nowhere near where I want it yet. My step sequence ends with me stepping forward, doing a mohawk, and a flip jump. Stepping forward, I got a tad excited, lost concentration, and BAM! Went down. So I was a little flustered at the end of my program because I had to take out some nice connecting steps to squeeze the flip in before my last jump, and was behind in the music and not in the midset to do my last spin as planned (flying camel-forward sit) so I just went into a back scratch-forward scratch. Still REALLY happy with how I skated, I was 2nd by 1 judge (two 1s and three 2s in a 5 judge panel).

But I think falling was a good thing. Usually my nerves get the best of me, I skate VERY cautiously because I don't want to fall, don't attack my program, and therefore don't skate as well as I would have liked. Now I've learned that it's not that bad, in retrospect the fall probably didn't hurt, the lady who won had an awesome performance too.

doubletoe
08-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Applied Too Late: Well...it finally happened....after zillions of years of skating and well over 100 total competitions, test sessions and ice shows in my life (multiple events in most of those competitions)...I fell. It was bound to happen at some point, and at Peach I fell not once, but twice (in 2 different events).

First fall was in the first RBO edge in the end pattern to the American waltz in solo dance. I basically ran out of room and got distracted and next thing you know, boom. Ugh.

Test Scheduled:
I went out for my freeskate figuring what's the worst that can happen...I'd already fallen that day. Put out the best free skate since I started freestyle a few years ago. I was relaxed, I was thinking through my program, finishing one element before moving on to the next and not rushing, and, for the first time, really enjoying myself (love my new program), even though my program is new and nowhere near where I want it yet. My step sequence ends with me stepping forward, doing a mohawk, and a flip jump. Stepping forward, I got a tad excited, lost concentration, and BAM! Went down. So I was a little flustered at the end of my program because I had to take out some nice connecting steps to squeeze the flip in before my last jump, and was behind in the music and not in the midset to do my last spin as planned (flying camel-forward sit) so I just went into a back scratch-forward scratch. Still REALLY happy with how I skated, I was 2nd by 1 judge (two 1s and three 2s in a 5 judge panel).

But I think falling was a good thing. Usually my nerves get the best of me, I skate VERY cautiously because I don't want to fall, don't attack my program, and therefore don't skate as well as I would have liked. Now I've learned that it's not that bad, in retrospect the fall probably didn't hurt, the lady who won had an awesome performance too.

Congratulations!! Sometimes, the bad things help us and the good things hurt us. I find that skating well is actually a worse distraction for me than recovering from a fall. The further I get through my program without making a mistake, the more excited I get at the thought of skating a clean program and the more likely I am to get distracted and mess up! I really have to work hard to stay focused!

jazzpants
09-01-2009, 03:15 AM
Tests Scheduled - great thread title - it's literal for me this week. I scheduled Pre-Bronze moves and free - AND I PASSED THEM BOTH!!!!WAAAAAHOOOO!!!!

Welcome to the Pre-Bronze Peanut Gallery, liz_on_ice!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :P

You too, PinkLaces on getting the loop! Took me forever to finally land that sucker!!! But once I did, it got good enough where my secondary coach had mentioned that "after my waltz jump, it's my next best jump." (Of course, I STILL don't believe her, since I still don't always consistently land it. :?? )

RachelSk8er
09-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Congratulations!! Sometimes, the bad things help us and the good things hurt us. I find that skating well is actually a worse distraction for me than recovering from a fall. The further I get through my program without making a mistake, the more excited I get at the thought of skating a clean program and the more likely I am to get distracted and mess up! I really have to work hard to stay focused!

Yeah, it was a good learning experience. I've never let my guard down and just skated and had fun like that in a freestyle program. I almost had the comfort level I used to have back when I was skating synchro pre-IJS (IJS is a whole other story, it made me a nervous wreck). Which is funny, since my program is new and I'm still having to really think through it at this point in the season.