View Full Version : I had my first private lesson yesterday

Mainemom
08-19-2009, 08:33 AM
And my coach was.... my DD! I don't get to skate much during the summer so I'm just trying not to lose (too much) what I had learned last season. The first ice after a test session is usually very quiet and since she didn't really have anything major to work on, I asked her to give me some help with my 3-turns and mohawks, and she was great. I was so impressed - she was supportive, firm without being harsh, and very knowledgeable. She pushed my poor body into the proper placement ("Shoulders here, point the girls, butt under, no space between the knees, look forward and out, RELAX"...) When I complained (a little) of the pain she said "Welcome to my world. It's supposed to hurt!" But seriously, she was a great coach. I guess all those years of being coached have taught her how to share her knowledge with someone waaaaaay below her level in a basic, easy to understand way. What fun. And I really did get better and I wasn't too scared on the inside 3-turns. And she never once laughed at me! Once our home rink opens, I'm going to hire her every week! What fun. But the relaxing part... that's just so not happening. She told me to imagine that I was Tanith Belbin (our hero) and pretend I had her knees - hah!

dbny
08-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Congratulations to you both! It can be difficult for parents and kids to teach each other, so I think that's an accomplishment by itself. I've asked my younger DD for help in the past, and she's also quite good at it.