View Full Version : Learning the layback

niupartyangel
08-18-2009, 07:13 PM
So my dream maneuver is not an axel, not a double jump, but a layback. It doesn't have to be perfect a la Sasha Cohen, just decent enough for a photograph for me to admire years later :P and say, "yep that was me!"....I just think they are so beautiful to watch.

I know there's pretty much a set order in how to learn the jumps in increasing difficulty, but does the same apply for learning spins? Do I have to overcome the hurdles of the camel, sit, and yuck, the change foot (still struggling with my backspin) before I can start the layback process.

I do understand a good and centered scratch spin is needed first of course, to be comfortable in spinning on one foot.

I would really like to have even just an ok layback by my 30th birthday (2 years from now), that would make for an awesome celebration! :) 8-) even 3 revolutions will truly make me so happy.

Of course I wouldn't even attempt it without my coach's approval, but I'm wondering if anyone here has a layback but doesn't have all the other spins yet.

flo
08-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Hi there,
I had a layback before other spins. There's lots of advice here in the forums, so you may want to do a search. When I started skating my dream was also to be able to do a layback. I had one within a year. I'm still thrilled each time I do it!

You can do it - enjoy.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/flopair/layback.bmp

RachelSk8er
08-19-2009, 07:15 AM
As long as you have a decent scratch spin with a solid entry edge and snap (which is really a 3 turn), you an start working on laybacks (or any other spin, for that matter). All forward spins originate from that same edge/snap into rotating, even though your body may end up in a different position.

Laybacks look easy, but a good layback is HARD!

Mainemom
08-19-2009, 08:36 AM
DD has a very nice layback but she found that it made her incredibly dizzy when she was first learning it. Not having your head on top of your shoulders takes some getting use to. And STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH before you try one. It does a number on your lower back if you're not warmed up and stretched out.

Skate@Delaware
08-19-2009, 09:17 AM
My coach has had me "warm up" for the layback by working out my hamstrings, glutes, and lower back by doing supermans on the floor and spirals (without lowering my torso) on ice. It's more about pushing the hips forward and stretching the back leg and holding it (for building the strength). I get dizzy easily so I don't know if I'll every have a great layback but maybe a somewhat recognizable one will work for me (i.e. not exactly looking UP but OVER my arms and keeping my eyes downward has helped). I've been doing a baby layback so far and not toppled yet (but no one has said it really looks like one either :roll:).

flo
08-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Yup. My first combination spin was a lookback , fallback.

doubletoe
08-19-2009, 01:59 PM
The progression for learning the layback spin is Upright (scratch) spin --> Attitude spin --> Layback

And don't practice your layback under the lights! 8O

niupartyangel
08-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks everyone! I am encouraged. I'll work on finetuning my scratch spin and hopefully that'll let my coach feel confident that I'm ready to work towards the layback. I would just like to do it for my own personal satisfaction/enjoyment. :)

londonicechamp
08-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi Skate@Delaware

What is the superman stretching exercise that your coach asked you to practice.

londonicechamp

FigureSk8Dad
08-20-2009, 07:15 PM

And don't practice your layback under the lights! 8O

My DD seems to always find a light when she goes into the layback. Ahh, the expression on her face when she comes out and cannot see anything. It kinda looks like this --> 8O