View Full Version : Show Time or Pulling The Plug, Aug. 17 - 23, 2009

singerskates
08-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Pulling The Plug:

I picked this title for the negative reports because well, I'm still not feeling comfortable in my skates because my coach isn't finished working on them to make the soles get straighted out. I've been skating against the warp ever since I got the boots a year and half ago. Only now that the boots have broken down enough to bend in them, I can feel my feet rolling inward on both feet, mostly right landing foot.

I'm feeling that if I don't get my boots to feel right soon, that I will have to pull my Junior Bronze Fiesta Tango dance test.

I was beat in a friendly game of Chance with my good friend Misty. Instead of playing Chance doing basketball, we used our jumps. I started with the Watlz jump as my lowest jump and Misty used the Toe Loop as lowest. She made it all the way to Lutz before having to restart when her Axel attempt went awry. I did Waltz, Salchow, Toe Loop and then not once but 3 times had to restart because of the Loop. I kept on having my free foot slightly touch down as it passed the skating foot on the Loop. The rule was that in order to move on to the next jump on the next turn, you had to do your jumps absolutely clean. Otherwise, you had to go back to your starting jump all over again.

My Camel wasn't staying up longer than one and half revs. I tried 4 times and then just left it alone.

Never got to do my Lutz jump.

The StarSkate 2 session was jam packed. We had Junior Level Pair skaters on the ice along with other high level skaters visiting. It was a total organized zoo. We must have had about 30 or so skaters on the session.

Waltzing Mohawk pattern on second side is pittiful in that I have to slow down to a crawl to do the LFI Mohawk but the rest is OK.

Show Time:

Ran through my shorter version of my new interpretive, "Held" by Natalie Grant", which is about 2 and half minutes and it felt like I should have kept going. It didn't feel like a natural end. Felt rather short to me. I do however need to have it choreographed. This time I'd like my coach to choreograph it from scratch since we have much more time. Last time we started less than a month before my first competition. I must be in better condition than before.

Scratch spin was wickedly fast and made me feel dizzy. Love when I get to a new fast speed. Now to just control the exit.

Sit Spin is getting lower again. Actually had enough speed to crack 5 revs before switching to broken and cranking another 4 in broken and 2 revs when I got up to get out. It's been quit awhile coming.

Waltzing Mohawk pattern is doing fine on the first half (RFI Mohawk side).

Practiced in the corner the Fiesta Tango steps over and over to clean up my technique. Finally cleaned up a few things. (It was to busy to do the dance using the whole ice without a coach in lesson.) I just need to be more confident with my skates.

katz in boots
08-18-2009, 04:16 AM
"Pulling the Pug" ???8O
I knew what you meant, but it got my mind boggling

Isk8NYC
08-18-2009, 06:54 AM
I really should have posted this in last week's thread, but I understand how you're feeling. I thought I had found a local tech to remount my blades properly, but he can't plug them. I sent an email to the guy in Maryland that everyone uses. I'm hoping I can set up an appointment and not have to leave the skates since I don't have backup skates.

When I can't center a back scratch or a sit spin, you know it's bad. I'm afraid to jump, especially with toe jumps - my feet feel tangled up and landings are ridiculously difficult.

londonicechamp
08-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi singerskates

What is a broken sit spin? Just curious. :roll:

londonicechamp

doubletoe
08-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi singerskates

What is a broken sit spin? Just curious. :roll:

londonicechamp

http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_s_brokenleg.htm

londonicechamp
08-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Hi doubletoe

The broken leg spin is really nice. Now I understand what it is.

My coach has also taught me a variation spin, which is tuck my right free skating leg behind the left thigh, and that is my favourite spin. Previous coach had said that that spin was quite difficult for most skaters, but somehow I managed to do it. Any idea what variation spin that I have learnt? :D

Just curious. Is the broken sit spin recognised in competitions? Or must it be proper sit spin, with leg crossed? 8-)

londonicechamp

PinkLaces
08-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Pulling The Plug:

I'm still not feeling comfortable in my skates because my coach isn't finished working on them to make the soles get straighted out. I've been skating against the warp ever since I got the boots a year and half ago. Only now that the boots have broken down enough to bend in them, I can feel my feet rolling inward on both feet, mostly right landing foot.

Show Time:

Ran through my shorter version of my new interpretive, "Held" by Natalie Grant",

Hope your coach gets your skates working better! That must be frustrating. I love that song "Held" but always start bawling every time I hear it.

PinkLaces
08-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Pulling the plug I didn't remember our freestyle session being moved to one of the back rinks. I had parked in the front, had to walk to the back, and was late getting on the ice. The ice was really crappy and it was super cold. Bronze moves were okay, but seemed a bit tougher to get power. Wondering if my skates need a sharpening or it was just the crap ice.

Showtime Had a great lesson with coach today. She liked my sit spin and thought it was low enough. :o :D She had me try doing a sit with a change to back sit. It was okay, but a little high. I did a quote "very nice camel" with 4 revs. Then she had me start working on camel sits. My coach is pretty picky so getting small praise out of her made me pretty happy.

I landed a loop jump with the foot in front. Just one at the end, but I'm pretty pleased with that. Feel like I'm on the right track. Same with the flip. Didn't land any but feel like I'm getting closer. Since I picked up an extra lesson a week, I feel like I'm making way more progress.

LilJen
08-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Pulling the Plug:

-Just Plain Jane upright 1-footed spins STILL giving me problems!!! Grrrrr!!!
-Got back too far on a slalom and fell backwards, giving myself a nice little goose egg.
-New boots today = ouchie but not too bad.
-And with a suggestion from a fellow skater the backspin attempts are getting better.
-Daily midweek public sessions are BACK!

Show Time:

-Coach quite pleased with progress on FI-BO3s and FO-BI3s, along with other Silver MITF. Wants to shoot for testing in November. 8O I guess if I don't get too distracted with other stuff. . . .

sk8tegirl06
08-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Pulling the Plug: -So my test application didn't make it in time, so no test for me this week. There is a talk of another test in September?
-My work schedule got all wonky, so I could only skate 20 minutes today during a lesson. No time to warm up = Bad feet

Show time:-Despite the application not getting there in time, all my moves seem to have made a resurgence. Sure have interesting timing...
- I might get to do an exhibition next month! First show in about 18 months

doubletoe
08-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Hi doubletoe

The broken leg spin is really nice. Now I understand what it is.

My coach has also taught me a variation spin, which is tuck my right free skating leg behind the left thigh, and that is my favourite spin. Previous coach had said that that spin was quite difficult for most skaters, but somehow I managed to do it. Any idea what variation spin that I have learnt? :D

Just curious. Is the broken sit spin recognised in competitions? Or must it be proper sit spin, with leg crossed? 8-)

londonicechamp

There are many variations on the sitspin that are recognized as sitspins and considered difficult variations that can raise the level of the spin. However, all of these variations will only count if done in a low sit position with the skating thigh parallel to the ice.

The broken leg sitspin is one of those difficult variations. Others include the pancake, the cannonball, the twisted and the tuck sitspin. The tuck sitspin is usually done as a reverse sitspin (CCW on the right foot). Photos here:

pancake (arm position is optional) (http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2008-w44/img.394987_t.jpg)
cannonball (http://www.icelebz.com/celebs/sasha_cohen/images/photo58.jpg)
Twisted sitspin (http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2008-w11/img.164753_t.jpg)
Tuck sitspin (http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2008-w11/img.163714_t.jpg)
Tuck sitspin - another variation (http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/063e2x87BC3wc/610x.jpg)

NoVa Sk8r
08-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Others include the pancake, the cannonball, the twisted and the tuck sitspin. The tuck sitspin is usually done as a reverse sitspin (CCW on the right foot). Photos here:
Tuck sitspin (http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2008-w11/img.163714_t.jpg)
Tuck sitspin - another variation (http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/063e2x87BC3wc/610x.jpg)Just FYI, the "tuck" is called the "clam" or "clamshell" in my neck of the woods (NYC area). And the pancake is somtimes called the mushroom spin. (These positions must have been named by a hungry skater! :lol:)

Kat12
08-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Oh, THAT'S a broken leg! I was always imagining it with the free leg bent across the front (knee pointing to outside, leg crossed in front of skating knee), not out to the side.

PinkLaces
08-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Showtime Had my group lesson tonight. Waltz jump, salchow, and toe loop were good. Scratch spin was good. I was getting some sucess with the backspin again toward the end of the lesson.

Pulling the plug Worked on the flip. Feet are together in the air and I am landing on 2 feet or touching down right away. Group instructor taught the 2 girls the flip for first time tonight. One girl landed it first try. I'm not going to let that discourage me.

No skating tonight :cry: I'm going to my parents. My dd is attending skate camp out there this week. My sister says DD's making great progress in ice dance this week. Keeping my fingers crossed for the test session on Saturday.

Petlover
08-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Showtime: My little skating buddy who had been off the ice for a year until a few weeks ago due to major health problems landed her double toe loop for the first time today! She actually landed it more times than not, we are all so proud of her!

More Showtime: My program is definitely ready for Peach Classic next week.

Pulling the Plug: Skating at my regular rink goes back to 2 mornings a week, so I will have to go back to further away rink the other 3 mornings. I do realize how lucky I am, though, to have another rink to go do.

doubletoe
08-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Pulling the plug Worked on the flip. Feet are together in the air and I am landing on 2 feet or touching down right away.

When you take off on your flip, pick, pull back and then lift the knee/thigh of your front leg as you lift up into the air. That will help keep you over the landing side so you won't 2-foot the landing! :)

doubletoe
08-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Just FYI, the "tuck" is called the "clam" or "clamshell" in my neck of the woods (NYC area). And the pancake is somtimes called the mushroom spin. (These positions must have been named by a hungry skater! :lol:)

Ooh, hadn't heard "clam" or "clamshell"! Good to know!

Skate@Delaware
08-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Show Time: I WENT SKATING TODAY!!!! Woo-Hoo!!! Sneak-peek freestyle! The ice was really, really nice, and not crowded...only 5 people!!!! Not bad at all!

I took my time, haven't skated since Hackensack Adult Skating Camp. Allowed a few laps of stroking (um, no more laps of swizzles) and then hit some crossovers (used my champion cord for my arms). Forward edges, 3-turns, then some back crossovers. Did a few waltz jumps and salchows and some scratch spins (for the scratch used the cords for my free leg to help me concentrate on lifting my leg higher). And ended up the session with some backspins (using the cord on my free leg) and some spirals. Didn't want to do too much, because I'm helping out for skating camp tomorrow and might have a private lesson on Friday.

All-in-all I'm pleased with my skating. My two week hiatus from the gym is showing....I need to fix that (you know, that "flabby" feeling in the belly).

Dilemma-to take the power skating class or not???? I don't want to over-extend myself with my time/skating/life/etc. I guess it can wait until I talk with my coach.

Pulling the plug: didn't attempt any toe-loops or sit-spins. But it's still early in the season. I've been doing some new stuff for my back and it's getting better-don't want to mess up progress.

katz in boots
08-20-2009, 04:08 AM
Show Time !!!
My coach is back after a 3 week absence, a brief visit in between ice shows overseas. Had a lesson this morning.

I haven't been able to do backspins since she left, so I joked that she took it with her, that it went to Abu Dhabi with her :lol: So funny, this morning, cos it immediately came back. She was a bit disappointed with my lack of progress on the exit edge, but it's hard to practise the exit on a non-existent spin. Anyway, she has challenged me to get it up to 10 revs while she's away for 5 weeks this time. Immediately she made that challenge, I got 7 revs this morning :P
She seemed pleased with my overall progress.

We worked on change foot spins, sit spins and change sit spins. Got some work to do re-learning how she wants me to change feet, different from how I was taught before.

It feels sooooooo good to work hard, skate quite well. Then I had to go to work, but the endorphins pulled me through the day.

Pulling the Plug
We'll fit in one more lesson this Sunday before she goes away for 5 weeks. :cry: Hope to work on camel spin & flip so I can start improving them while she's away.

luckykid
08-20-2009, 05:03 AM
Pulling the plug
Though I did not fall down a lot, the times when I fell, I fell hard on the ice, and everyone was staring at me, once I got booed at. Sigh I don't understand it. I try so hard during lessons, put in a lot of speed, get my basics correct, sometimes can't concentrate too much, and I fall. But people look at me, like it's wrong to fall so hard. Isn't it like if you don't fall during lessons, it means you don't try hard enough? But well apparently my coach sees it as a sign that I can't do anything, so she doesn't teach me much new things.

Show time
Nothing really.

SkatEn
08-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Pulling the plug
Though I did not fall down a lot, the times when I fell, I fell hard on the ice, and everyone was staring at me, once I got booed at. Sigh I don't understand it. I try so hard during lessons, put in a lot of speed, get my basics correct, sometimes can't concentrate too much, and I fall. But people look at me, like it's wrong to fall so hard. Isn't it like if you don't fall during lessons, it means you don't try hard enough? But well apparently my coach sees it as a sign that I can't do anything, so she doesn't teach me much new things.

Show time
Nothing really.

Just laugh those falls off. You've not done the clink of death right? Once, I was saying okay, then I did one BXO (for spin) and CLINK I went down. Really a one moment up, and the next you don't see me kind of fall.:lol: I fall on stupid stuff sometimes. But when I'm learning something I try my hardest. I don't want to fall because I'm not trying hard enough eg shoot the duck - sit down instead of (trying to) hold it there. I rather fall doing something I know I tried. Eg going over the toepick on camel and do a body splat. That way, even if my coach continues to work on camel, I know it's okay because matter of fact, I haven't gotten it down. If people laugh at you, well, ask yourself, who are they to laugh at you? They are either callous or that they don't wanna make it seem like they can't do it either! I got laughed at by public skaters, but boo hoo. I don't care about them. :)
-
Pulling the plug
Okay I asked my coach if I can learn a flying spin. He said I need a back camel so I learnt that today. Guess what. If camel had been given the Number 1 spot for being the most difficult spin, then back camel just took the crown. I am so annoyed. I can't get into a camel position. My upper body doesn't go down. I seem to be going in a huge circle.

Pulling more plugs during showtime...
Axel was better in lesson. Like seriously better, no crossing, but more rotation and I actually feel the rotation. I ALMOST cheated some while practising. uhhh. but I sat down all the time. AND THEN!!! They all disappeared! Disappear as in they became huge over-rotated waltz jumps. -dies-

A friend helped with layback. I had one really nice one after she left. One. Pathetic one.

I'll be away from the ice for maybe 3 weeks (no lesson) and not sure about practice... -sigh- I'll miss the ice. :(

LilJen
08-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Pulling the plug

Show time
Nothing really.

Oh good gracious. Falls HAPPEN. To EVERYONE. What's the big deal? Talk with your coach. There may be another reason she's not teaching you new things. See what she says when you tell her you want to learn something new.

Show Time:
-Managed one good fwd spin, one good backspin in my 15-minute lesson today.
Pulling the Plug:
-In 15 minutes, I managed only one good fwd spin, one good backspin. :frus:
Why am I such a spinning idiot? I've been working iwth a spin coach, usually just once every other week, since APRIL, folks. I mean, there's improvement, but seriously? All this time and work and I'm still not terribly consistent on a plain-Jane fwd spin??????? :frus: Maybe if I just amputate my entire upper body (this is the source of most of the problems) I'll do better. . .

SkatEn
08-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Show Time:
-Managed one good fwd spin, one good backspin in my 15-minute lesson today.
Pulling the Plug:
-In 15 minutes, I managed only one good fwd spin, one good backspin. :frus:
Why am I such a spinning idiot? I've been working iwth a spin coach, usually just once every other week, since APRIL, folks. I mean, there's improvement, but seriously? All this time and work and I'm still not terribly consistent on a plain-Jane fwd spin??????? :frus: Maybe if I just amputate my entire upper body (this is the source of most of the problems) I'll do better. . .

Hey don't worry. I'm such a spinner. Maybe if I just amputate my flyaway arms and hunched shoulder and uncrossed legs and tilted body, I'll jump better! Be glad it's not jumps. It seems like everyone I know is a jumper...

doubletoe
08-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Just laugh those falls off. You've not done the clink of death right? Once, I was saying okay, then I did one BXO (for spin) and CLINK I went down. Really a one moment up, and the next you don't see me kind of fall.:lol: I fall on stupid stuff sometimes. But when I'm learning something I try my hardest. I don't want to fall because I'm not trying hard enough eg shoot the duck - sit down instead of (trying to) hold it there. I rather fall doing something I know I tried. Eg going over the toepick on camel and do a body splat. That way, even if my coach continues to work on camel, I know it's okay because matter of fact, I haven't gotten it down. If people laugh at you, well, ask yourself, who are they to laugh at you? They are either callous or that they don't wanna make it seem like they can't do it either! I got laughed at by public skaters, but boo hoo. I don't care about them. :)
-
Pulling the plug
Okay I asked my coach if I can learn a flying spin. He said I need a back camel so I learnt that today. Guess what. If camel had been given the Number 1 spot for being the most difficult spin, then back camel just took the crown. I am so annoyed. I can't get into a camel position. My upper body doesn't go down. I seem to be going in a huge circle.

I find the flying camel easier than the back camel and many skaters I've talked to agree. I think it's quite common for skaters to learn the flying camel before the back camel (my coach taught me the flying camel first). Then again, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to try to learn the flying camel and the axel at the same time. You certainly wouldn't want to use the flying camel technique on your axel. 8O

Skate@Delaware
08-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Pulling the plug

Show time
Nothing really.
I don't get that. It's rude to get booed at for one thing. I agree that you should discuss it with your coach. If falling is a regular occurance for you then perhaps you need to find out why and your coach can shed some light onto that (positioning, poor core strength, being distracted, improper form, etc can all contribute).

Show time: helped out at the rink's summer skate camp---those little girls wore me out! Well, add 4 boys to the mix and call me exhausted! At least I brought my own food....tons of healthy stuff and protein shakes. I was on my way out and saw my coach skating on freestyle, she wanted me to come skate with her but I was wiped! But there was no way!

Pulling the Plug: I am helping again tomorrow!!! AAAAHHHHH!!!! someone save me LOL!

antmanb
08-21-2009, 03:30 AM
SHOWTIME: Oh my goodness I had what must be the best skating session ever yesterday. I've had sessions where you have a great 15 minutes on jumps and the rest is ok, or specifically good moments, but yesterday it was the entire hour and ten minutes I was on the ice!

I warmed up with some moves and hit all the three turns including the evil back inside three turns, i still can't do them with any speed but the turns didn't feel quite so forced and i'm actually getting the knee bend action to iniate them.

Spind went pretty well so i decided to leave the backspin and not try it at all

Moved onto jumps and landed everything including several good solid loops which my coach who was giving a lesson elsewhere in the rink saw and jumped up and down for me as i was celebrating. Then i moved onto to the flip which since i first started landing it again about a month or so ago has had about a 1 in 10 hit rate. The first two i to footed getting the feel for it, then I must have landed the next 6. I decided to add a toe-loop to the back of it and it actually made the flip better! I sometimes end up jumping slightly out (I described it as crab jumping to my coach which made us both laugh) but nothing too serious.

So when it got to be time for my lesson i was flying high on the back of my practice and I managed to do combination i'd never even attempted on the first try - i landed a couple of pretty good waltz-half loop-flip combinations I also landed first time a flip-toe loop-loop combination!!! Who on earth would ever think the dread flip and dreaded loop would ever come out in a combination?!?!?!

Moved onto spins in the lesson and did really well with those too. I even managed a change foot camel - and just about sqeaked a rev and half, and similarly managed about the same when I tried the change sit (which i've only ever attempted a couple of times before.

I could barely sleep last night when i went to bed i was sooooooo ecstatic with how i'd skated.

Pulling the Plug: I know that next time i get on the ice I won't have the same time of session but i must remember not to let it demoralise me and hope and pray that i have another session like yesterdays soon!

Ant

Kat12
08-21-2009, 06:35 AM
^Oh wow, Ant, that rocks. Don't you love it when something just "clicks"? And then you think "duh, why couldn't I do this before?"

antmanb
08-21-2009, 09:06 AM
I do but sadly I've had those moments before only to loose it all again the next time i get on the ice!!

Still - coach is away on holiday so no lesson for two weeks but my goal is practice hard while she's away so that when she gets back i can show her that i've kept up and/or improved on that magical session!

Ant

doubletoe
08-21-2009, 01:43 PM
SHOWTIME: Oh my goodness I had what must be the best skating session ever yesterday. I've had sessions where you have a great 15 minutes on jumps and the rest is ok, or specifically good moments, but yesterday it was the entire hour and ten minutes I was on the ice!

I warmed up with some moves and hit all the three turns including the evil back inside three turns, i still can't do them with any speed but the turns didn't feel quite so forced and i'm actually getting the knee bend action to iniate them.

Spind went pretty well so i decided to leave the backspin and not try it at all

Moved onto jumps and landed everything including several good solid loops which my coach who was giving a lesson elsewhere in the rink saw and jumped up and down for me as i was celebrating. Then i moved onto to the flip which since i first started landing it again about a month or so ago has had about a 1 in 10 hit rate. The first two i to footed getting the feel for it, then I must have landed the next 6. I decided to add a toe-loop to the back of it and it actually made the flip better! I sometimes end up jumping slightly out (I described it as crab jumping to my coach which made us both laugh) but nothing too serious.

So when it got to be time for my lesson i was flying high on the back of my practice and I managed to do combination i'd never even attempted on the first try - i landed a couple of pretty good waltz-half loop-flip combinations I also landed first time a flip-toe loop-loop combination!!! Who on earth would ever think the dread flip and dreaded loop would ever come out in a combination?!?!?!

Moved onto spins in the lesson and did really well with those too. I even managed a change foot camel - and just about sqeaked a rev and half, and similarly managed about the same when I tried the change sit (which i've only ever attempted a couple of times before.

I could barely sleep last night when i went to bed i was sooooooo ecstatic with how i'd skated.

Pulling the Plug: I know that next time i get on the ice I won't have the same time of session but i must remember not to let it demoralise me and hope and pray that i have another session like yesterdays soon!

Ant

Yay!! The important thing is that now you know you can do it! :)

katz in boots
08-22-2009, 03:47 AM
Showtime!
Backspin rocked today! There was one that must've been at least 10 revs plus reasonable exit. Yay! Until it Pulled the Plug late in the session, couldn't do it at all. Not from pivot push or inside edge. Sigh.

Overall though, it was Showtime today. A fairly busy public session and the ice wasn't great, but I enjoyed it. Worked hard on spins, but a lot on edges & 3 turns, and was rewarded with definite improvements. Footwork continues to improve heaps. Jumps, well I didn't flog them, but overall felt they were reasonable.

Looking forward to lesson tomorrow morning.

Skate@Delaware
08-22-2009, 11:36 AM
This is for yesterday, by the time I got home I could barely eat I was so tired (8 pm and I'd been skating for about 4 hours).....8O

Show time: I'm ready for the season; I had fun helping out at skating camp, the girls (and the few boys) were nice.

Pulling the plug: fell twice, once on each hip then tripped over my untied skate lace and went kersplat.

stayed for the rink open house and got a free moves lesson; nothing new was discovered I know my stuff is under-par. But hopefully good enough for testing around Jan/Feb.

Renewed club membership, so I am once again, USFS material (already ISI). Now all I need is my ice time punch cards from my rinks and I'm good to go!

singerskates
08-22-2009, 11:48 PM
This is for Friday, Aug. 21, 2009.

Pulling The Pug:

Should say The Light had its plug pulled. There I was in the ladies wash room doing my business before changing into my skating clothes at the arena just before my skating session started and then total darkness for 10 minutes. Couldn't see a thing. Heard my coach asking if there was anyone in the bathrooms and if we were OK. I turned out to be the only one. I was stuck there.

Then the lights went out again when we were on the ice. Total darkness again. Many of us were in a jump mid air. I was just about to take off for a jump when the lights went out and I ended up screeming "Stop!" Then the coaches ordered us to the boards, waited a few minutes and then told us to take a break. We then got to go back after 4 minutes. 10 minutes later it happend again, lights out. Found out later that we had a severe storm. I must have just beat the storm by about two minutes by the time I got in the arena. When I left the arena, everything outside was soaked.

Still having trouble with landing on one foot on some of my jumps and the jumps I do land, I have to over fight to get to an outside edge. Coach hadn't had the chance to fix my warped boots yet because of a club meeting when I had left my skates with him on Tuesday. Thursday I had to keep them so that I could skate the next day. He has them again this weekend. Hoping they are finally fixed.

Oh, it's a good thing that I pulled the plug on my Junior Bronze Fiesta Tango test because my skates are still not fixed and they moved the test day forward to his Monday because the judge wanted to leave early to go on vacation. Coach wasn't too pleased because of test day change.

Dispite all that I still had some Showtime:

Camel spin in practice was making some progress. Free leg was finally staying behind me. That hasn't happened in a long time.

In my lesson, I did a couple camel spins with 2 revs (coach only counted the revs once I was in proper position) in combination with upright spins (corkscrews) with at least 4 revs.

Then did sit spin (6 revs) that actually would get points under CPC for a change with the broken spin (4 or 5 revs) which was more centered than my coach's attempt. (coach was cold and hadn't had the time to warm up)

Did a forward corkscrew (scratch) spin that impressed my coach. Have no idea on how many revs it was. All I know is that I was dizzy getting out because it was faster than I'm use to doing. Oh, it was centered too. Coach did one that had quit a few revs but it was travelling a bit. I told him that it was Novice level. LOL I was teasing him.

Then I did a spin to prep me for the layback spin (I'm working on getting my neck and upper back to heal up. Have herniated discs in my upper back and I pulled a muscle a few weeks back there. Anyway, I got my coach interested in getting me to do the layback again because I had the forward lean of the hips, my free leg up behind me and a perfectly centered spin that was fast. I think I did 6 revs in position. I just didn't lay my head back. Then coach tried one and he couldn't get his body to do what I did.

We also did catch foot upright spins. Once again, because he was standing around not moving from the previous lessons with his other students, his body was cold and stiff but he didn't get some revs before falling out with a cramp. Hardly fair.

I started off the jump competition between us with a waltz jump that had a good landing. Then he did his with a second waltz jump and then a 1 Axel following it. Then it was the Toe Loop. He didn't do the 2 Toe. Then the Salchows. Then the Loop where I was stuck for a while because my stupid freeleg won't stay up in tight during the air portion of the jump through to the landing. I had the slightest touch downs but I was fully rotated. I then progressed to the split + Flip which surprised the coach because it was straighter in the air and fully rotated with only a very slight touch down. Lutz also took my coach by surprise.

Had to wait to do a second Lutz for the coach so I show him a little surprise. I had been working on a flying spin. Not a flying sit or a flying camel but of all things a Forward Flying Upright Spin. When he saw it, coach uttered "What was that?" I said "a Forward Flying Upright Spin, under CPC/IJS/COP the spin is listed as a FUsp. Not too great of a code. Oh, my! What were they thinking when they coded that spin? Anyway, Level 1 is worth 1.7, Level 2 2.0, Level 3 2.4 and Level 4 2.9. I wonder if this spin is allowed for the Junior Bronze test or does it have to be either a FSsp or FCsp?

katz in boots
08-23-2009, 03:40 AM
Showtime
another 1 hour lesson today, though in a public session, had to be alert.
Backspin was on again/off again, but there mostly.

Pulling the Plug
Worked more on 3 turn and mohawk step patterns. Sigh. I find this sort of thing far harder than jumping or spinning. Sweating & out of breath doing consecutive 3 turns. Camel spin, well, 'nuff said.

Didn't do any jumps in lesson today, but the ones I did before the lesson felt good.

And now my coach is away for 5 weeks, Wah! I told her that this time she has to check her suitcase, and if my backspin had decided to go with her again, she has to make sure to send it home to me.:lol:

Skate@Delaware
08-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Show Time:
Just got off the phone....my skates have been shipped!!! I have my appt set up for the fitting/heat molding/blade transfer!!!!!

Now I just need to txt my daughter and make arrangements for Lodging at the Navy Lodge and borrow a GPS for the drive! Yay!!!!!!!! And it's a 3-day weekend, so maybe the boy wants to come with me!

Kat12
08-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Then the lights went out again when we were on the ice. Total darkness again. Many of us were in a jump mid air. I was just about to take off for a jump when the lights went out and I ended up screeming "Stop!" Then the coaches ordered us to the boards, waited a few minutes and then told us to take a break.

Eek! How did you even find how to get off the ice?? I'd have to hang onto the boards and go around the edge until I found the door, lol!

Pulling the plug: didn't end up going to the rink today. I biked out to one of my fav. restaurants for lunch. Left there later than I'd meant to, so had about an hour before the session started. Got caught in the rain on the way back...and also realized that I had no cash on me. Arrived home 15 minutes before the session started and knew that I did not have time to change clothes, go to the bank to the ATM, and get to the rink in time, even if I took my car. Grr. I think it's definitely time to get the 10-pack of skating passes from the rink (which will also be cheaper. Not much cheaper--will save me five bucks, but still). I'm tired of trying to dig up cash (I try not to carry it otherwise--if it's in my wallet, I tend to find little things to spend it on).

niupartyangel
08-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Showtime:

Well I have been the only person aside from my coach at the 6:30-7 am freestyle slot...so I get to hog the sound system :D Skating to MY favorite songs. And it feels like I have my own personal rink, a la Cutting Edge. The other kids don't pour in until after 7 am, and of course if they have a program to run then they just disconnect my ipod and put theirs in, but if they are done with that and working on regular practice stuff they just put the ipod back in afterwards.Not my fault no one else wants to put in their ipod I guess, coz I wasn't about to stop them...

Coach mentioned that we'd be filling out the paperwork next week or so, for me to be a member of our skating club because i guess it takes about a month or whatever, so I can test in October. Yay!

Wacky 3 turn pattern is improving, even on my left side. Coach was amazed and said, "Wait, was that your bad side?" "yeah" "Wow it really looks good! Have you been working on it?" 8-)

Pulling the Plug:
Well, I hate the two foot spin, I find it awkward after not having to do it for so long and of course it's in the pre-Bronze freestyle test. Coach said mine's ok though and it'll be passed, but I just wish it wasn't such an....EFFORT for me. Man who knew I'd be saying I like the one foot version and it's way easier than two foot!

Working on back 3 turns, they're non existent at the moment. Same for the backspin. I'll have to do a search on "backspin tips" on this forum sometime this week.

kander
08-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Showtime: I skated at Squaw Valley at lake Tahoe yesterday. It's an outdoor rink at about 8200 foot elevation. My jumps traveled about a foot longer than normal. It was awesome! (even if it wasn't quite fair). I also skated at South Lake Tahoe the day before and had a pretty good skate. Landed everything and did a nice spin.

Pull the plug: I skated at Dublin on my way home from Tahoe today. It was my 3rd skate in 3 days and I could barely stand up. My toeloops are getting worse and worse. Why can't progress be sustainable in this frustrating sport?

Skate@Delaware
08-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Show time: I should be healed in time to skate tomorrow-muscle aches are not as bad, I didn't take anything stronger than Tylenol yesterday and did a lot of stretching and some ice. Bruises are so pretty!!! LOL!

Pulling the plug: It doesn't look good as far as figure skating in the evenings, grrrr! there have been NO freestyle sessions added so if you are IN SCHOOL or WORK you cannot skate if you can't get there by 3pm. I don't believe this is a good "compromise" for "more" that we were promised. All the good evening ice time is full of hockey, either Learn-to-Play or hockey game/practice. UGH!

slusher
08-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Had to wait to do a second Lutz for the coach so I show him a little surprise. I had been working on a flying spin. Not a flying sit or a flying camel but of all things a Forward Flying Upright Spin. When he saw it, coach uttered "What was that?" I said "a Forward Flying Upright Spin, under CPC/IJS/COP the spin is listed as a FUsp. Not too great of a code. Oh, my! What were they thinking when they coded that spin? Anyway, Level 1 is worth 1.7, Level 2 2.0, Level 3 2.4 and Level 4 2.9. I wonder if this spin is allowed for the Junior Bronze test or does it have to be either a FSsp or FCsp?

Any fly spin will count. It has to FLY. If they have to ask what it is, Fail.

singerskates
08-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Any fly spin will count. It has to FLY. If they have to ask what it is, Fail.

Must let eveyone know that I just started working the FUsp, so I'm sure it isn't all that great.