View Full Version : Ice Dance Dress guidelines

Deb in Oz
08-14-2009, 02:06 AM
Hi All,
I am venturing into unknown territory! Apparently I MUST wear a dress for ice dance tests.... (groan). As I am an adult and not petite and 13 years old I am planning to make my own (I have made regular dresses and leos before). They are also incredibly hard to find here in Sydney without spending a bomb on a custom made creation.

So... what are the guidelines for skirt length and style etc? I have found a couple of promising patterns - one is for a regular freestyle type dress (I was thinking of lengthening the skirt) and one for a lyrical ballet dress which has a leotard with 3 layered handkerchief style skirt to just below the knee. I have no idea what I should be aiming for, so if anyone has any photos or websites to give me some clues, I'd be grateful. I am only doing my preliminary dances so I don't need to be fancy, and the dress needs to be suitable for both Waltz and latin styles.

Thanks!
Deb

katz in boots
08-14-2009, 04:19 AM
Been there, done that :lol: Are we talking Canasta Tango & Dutch Waltz?

I am a large lady, and have made my own dance dresses and I can tell you what I have learned.

Choose a skirt that has the back part quite a bit longer than the front, it is more flattering. An assymetrical skirt that comes up higher at one hip (but not right at the side of skirt) can be very flattering. For me, I like the skirt quite high at the front, more like a freestyle skirt, but getting longer to just below the knee at the back, to cover my thighs & butt.

Draw attention to your body parts that you like best or are least self-conscious about.

The lyrical skirt you described sounds nice.

Here is a google images collection which might be a start.

http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=Ice+dance+dress&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=PCmFSuWeM6GO6AOgl6n6Aw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

And there are some lovely tango dresses here:
http://www.edressme.com/tango.html

Happy to help you any way I can with this.

Clarice
08-14-2009, 05:33 AM
Around here, the almost universal "uniform" for ice dance tests is a black leotard and a black wrap skirt. Many wear a black sweater or jacket and black tights or leggings. The custom may be different where you are, but here the judges just want you to look clean and neat, show your lines, and be comfortable and warm enough. I have heard that, while longer length skirts are fine for dance, the judges prefer the skirt to end above the knee in front so that they can see the knee action.

phoenix
08-14-2009, 08:18 AM
mid-thigh is about right. Maybe a touch longer.

skaternum
08-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Where is this directive coming from? It's certainly not the rule book. Your coach, maybe? I would remind you that one of the wonderful things about being an adult skater is being an ADULT. You really do not have to do anything you really don't want to. We adults can pick our own freestyle and interp music, we can choose to wear a dress or not, we can pick our own partners, etc. We are the ones paying for the coach and the test fees, and while it's great to "get along" and not make waves, it's also important not to give up control of our own skating. If you don't want to wear a dress, you don't have to.

Skittl1321
08-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Jalie has a nice dance dress pattern with a circle skirt, you could probably adjust the top for more coverage.

Debbie S
08-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Where is this directive coming from? It's certainly not the rule book. In the U.S., it does say in the rulebook that ladies must wear a skirt for dance testing and competition. The pants rule is only for FS, not dance. The OP is in Australia, though, so I don't know what their rulebook says.

Skittl1321
08-14-2009, 09:54 AM
In the U.S., it does say in the rulebook that ladies must wear a skirt for dance testing and competition. The pants rule is only for FS, not dance. The OP is in Australia, though, so I don't know what their rulebook says.

The US rules have never been entirely clear whether the competition rules apply to tests.

And, the rulebook seems to have an exception for adults, in adult competitions (which adult tests would seem to fall under, assuming tests are governed by the rules of competitions. An adult testing standard track would likely not be allowed this exemption.) This is specifically from the Dance section, singles has it's own section with rules:

3556 Clothing - Dance

3557 The clothing must be modest, dignified, and appropriate for athletic competitions — not garish or theatrical in design. Clothing may,
however, reflect the character of the music chosen.
A. The skating clothing worn in actual competition may not bear any form of advertising. However, warm-up suits may bear the name
of a sponsor when the team is on the ice, which must not exceed 4.65 square inches (30 square centimeters).
B. Ladies must wear a skirt. The ladies dress must not give the effect of excessive nudity inappropriate for an athletic sport.
C. Men must wear full-length trousers. No tights are allowed, and the man’s costume may not be sleeveless.
D. Decoration on costumes must be nondetachable.

3558 Not withstanding the above, ladies competing in any adult competition may wear trousers if they so choose.

skaternum
08-14-2009, 11:45 AM
In the U.S., it does say in the rulebook that ladies must wear a skirt for dance testing and competition. The pants rule is only for FS, not dance. The OP is in Australia, though, so I don't know what their rulebook says.

Unless I'm missing something, the rule concerning wearing a dress for dance is in the section on competition. There is nothing about required dresses in the section on testing, and I have seen a female dancer test in pants. Is there something in the rulebook other than the competition paragraph?

Clarice
08-14-2009, 12:30 PM
I couldn't find anything about apparel in the test section of the rule book, for any of the disciplines.

Mainemom
08-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine testing dance in anything but a dance dress - it's dancing, after all! MIF is different - that's just plain work and pants are acceptable, IMHO. DD's dance dresses are all prom dresses bought on sale after prom season was over ($7 for a dance dress - not bad!) and are quite modest even if they were originally prom dresses. I would feel comfortable in one of them, if I could dance enough to live up to it... If you want to make your own, my only advice would be not to make the skirt too long. I think it hides the legs and the extensions and just doesn't look right. There is a lady here who wears this really long dress for dance testing and it just looks out of place.

icedancer2
08-14-2009, 03:18 PM
OP is 13. Not an adult.

Skittl1321
08-14-2009, 03:20 PM
OP is 13. Not an adult.

As I am an adult and not petite and 13 years old

She is an adult, not 13.

However, the discussion regarding US rules is moot as she is in Australia. (But information like that can be helpful to others who may search the forum later)

icedancer2
08-14-2009, 04:33 PM
She is an adult, not 13.

However, the discussion regarding US rules is moot as she is in Australia. (But information like that can be helpful to others who may search the forum later)

Ooopsie.:oops:

Deb in Oz
08-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks for all the discussion - it is really helpful! I have seen the Jalie pattern (I use their patterns for other projects). I would definitely need more coverage - and the skirt looks a bit long. I am thinking I may just make a normal dress and lengthen the skirt as Katz suggested. Dance is not a very big sport here - there are not many adults around to ask (none at my rink) so I appreciate everyone's input. I haven't been able to find any guidelines in our rule book!

Deb

Debbie S
08-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Unless I'm missing something, the rule concerning wearing a dress for dance is in the section on competition. There is nothing about required dresses in the section on testing, and I have seen a female dancer test in pants. Is there something in the rulebook other than the competition paragraph?OK, sorry, I thought if a costume rule applied to competition, it automatically applied to tests. And I didn't realize there was an adult exception for comp, so I appreciate the clarification. In my area, though, I have never seen a female dancer (adult or kid) test in pants. I recommend people ask their coach what's expected in their area, b/c the judges may have certain expectations of what a skater should wear, and you really don't want to go against the grain - judging is subjective, after all. :)

sk8tmum
08-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Maybe a really stupid question :) - are there any dancewear stores in Sydney? We've been able to adapt some basic dance dresses for icedance quite easily. Just like has been suggested before: above the knee, and of course bodice support if needed. Adding some detailing to a basic dress punches it up from a simple dance dress and makes it look skater-ish (maybe some discreet, not overthetop-as-its-a-test-dress type trim)

I've also been able to take a well-fitted bodysuit and sew chiffon panels on to it, covering up the joins with braid or some other type of finishing. Chiffon can be left unfinished if you're not going to be using it a lot ... and it flows nicely. I'm fairly hopeless on anything that involves mechanical tools like sewing machines, thus, only stuff done with a needle and thread gets attempted.

Also, yes, the expectation here is that tests are done in dresses, perhaps, in part because due to a shortage of male dance partners some of tests are partnered by women coaches and it helps to identify WHO is testing:lol:. However, up to the high level tests (Starlight, Viennese, maybe Kilian) - they are generally tested in basic freeskate dresses. Are those at all easier to obtain, would that be an option?

katz in boots
08-15-2009, 04:03 AM
Wearing a dress for a test isn't a rule, more a convention. It is sort of expected: showing respect for the judges, the test and the sport.
And let's face it, we don't get that many opps to wear a dance dress here in Oz. :lol:

vesperholly
08-15-2009, 04:11 AM
I have a really nice GK dress that I use for all my dance testing. It's black velvet with mesh sleeves and a boatneck top, with a mid-thigh length skirt. Pretty, formal and versatile. I'm sure something like that would be your best bet. :)

Mrs Redboots
08-15-2009, 07:05 AM
I second the suggestion of a plain black leotard with wrap skirt. You can bling this up with a plain gold necklace and earrings.

Or, if you want a bit more glitz, wrap skirt, as before, with black "full briefs" underneath to hold your tights up and a pretty gold or silver jersey on the top.

What I have also done is a very cheap disco-dance dress on top of a flesh-coloured leotard, which keeps me nice and tidy underneath and also keeps my bingo wings tucked tidily away. I am too large and too elderly to get my arms out in public these days!

Deb in Oz
08-16-2009, 06:29 AM
Mrs. Redboots, what fabric would the wrap skirt be made from? I can do leotards, no problem....

Holly, do you know the name of the GK style?

I have been investigating dance wear shops here but they are few and far between where I live...

What I would really love to make is this (the long sleeve bow dress):
http://www.mainstreetdancewear.com/shopping.asp?cat=25020000
- I have not found this style here anywhere and to have it sent would cost a packet, as well as take a long time. I have been looking through pattern books for something similar but no luck so far.

There is a Kwik Sew pattern, number 3331. Would that be too fancy? I like the light blue one... though I would do it in navy or black.
http://www.kwiksew.com/Catalog/cat_detail.cfm?pid=3331&QL=MissLeotards

Thanks for the advice ladies!
Deb

Mrs Redboots
08-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Mrs. Redboots, what fabric would the wrap skirt be made from? I can do leotards, no problem....

Mine are all chiffon, but the nicest, and most flattering one is a heavy chiffon. You could use a velour, though, or anything, really, as long as it hangs well.

Clarice
08-16-2009, 07:19 AM
My wrap skirt is made of georgette - it's a little more opaque than chiffon. Both fabrics have to be hemmed. I do a hand-rolled hem, like for heirloom sewing - it takes a long time, but I've never been able to manage the rolling foot on my sewing machine. I should say that my black georgette skirt was purchased at a dancewear store, but I have made others. I don't know of a pattern, though - I traced the black one to make the pattern.

It would be relatively easy to do a dress such as the black one you posted. Just make a black leotard from your favorite pattern and add a skirt to it. You'll need to mess around a little to make the skirt pattern. I would start with a double circle skirt and adjust from there. Use some really inexpensive fabric - this is going to become the pattern. Cut out two complete circles; each is going to be one half of the finished skirt, which will have a seam on each side. The diameter of the circle needs to be somewhat longer than what you want the length of the finished skirt to be. You need to cut out a center circle, like a donut hole, but it will take some fussing to figure out just how big you need to make it. You're going to cut straight through the circle from the bottom to the center, so the edge of the inner circle is what goes around your waist or hips - wherever you place the skirt. So, the circumference of the inner circle needs to be half of that measurement. If you cut, say, a circle with a 5 inch diameter out of the center, that means you've taken 5 inches off the potential length of the skirt, so take that into account, too. That's why you're using cheap fabric - so you can start with something way too big and cut it down to size.

When you've sewn the two circles together, put it on over the leotard and pin it where you want it to hang. Mark that line on the leotard with pins or chalk or something. If you want less fullness in the skirt, bring in the side seams, from the point it starts at the waist down at an angle to the hem - the bigger the angle, the more fullness you take out.

When you've got the skirt hanging the way you want, take it apart and use the pieces to cut out the actual dress fabric. You can zigzag the skirt along the line you marked on the leotard - the stitching will show, but not when you're out on the ice. I do this all the time so I can place the skirt exactly where I want. If you really want to set the skirt in for a finished look, you cut the leotard apart on the marked line and zigzag the skirt to the top of what is now the panty. Then sew the leotard top to that. Adding that seam does make the body of the leotard about a half inch shorter, so take that into account if necessary. Cut the skirt to the length you want. Assuming you're using lycra, you don't need to finish the hem if you don't want to, since that stuff won't ravel.

Shortcut method, which I actually used for a dance dress this summer: I just cut the skirt using a regular dress pattern I already had that had the silhouette I wanted, and added it over a leotard I made. I use the Kwik-Sew active wear book for my master patterns.

Mel On Ice
08-16-2009, 10:52 AM
best logic is to make a dress that shows off your line and flow.

Kat12
08-16-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm not so sure about a handkerchief skirt if your legs are heavy. I've tried on such skirts before, and have found that they make my legs look short and chunky (my legs are not very long, but they're not really chunky). The same length skirt with a straight hem looks fine. I can't figure it out. And it could be that this won't happen to you--I don't know if that's a tendency of handkerchief hems or if it's just a tendency of such hems on me.

aussieskater
08-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Just replying to the part of the thread about skirts vs pants for testing dance in Oz - until the last test session I attended, I had always seen the dancers wearing a skirt. Some adult candidates wear a plain leo with a chiffon wrap skirt or pull-on skirt, others went all-out with the pretty crystalled dresses etc.

Last session, I saw one adult female candidate wearing pants (she was testing Elem 1 and Elem 2 so 4 low-level dances in total), and asked my coach what was up - she said there is no rule in the test book about having to wear a skirt for testing (that rule only applies for comp). The lady passed, so I assume that the judges didn't care!

aussieskater
08-16-2009, 07:31 PM
//snip// ...because due to a shortage of male dance partners some of tests are partnered by women coaches and it helps to identify WHO is testing:lol:

No problem identifying who's testing if it's me - the knocking knees and look of abject terror probably give it away!! :lol:

aussieskater
08-16-2009, 07:49 PM
What I would really love to make is this (the long sleeve bow dress):
http://www.mainstreetdancewear.com/shopping.asp?cat=25020000

Deb, that's a lovely dress, and should not be hard to make. The Kwiksew pattern #2204 looks pretty close to the basic pattern - it has the wide deep neckline scoop at the front and back. You just need to splice in the contrast band below the bust, and as an experienced leo maker that will cause you no problems. The skirt would be a full circle, or if you wanted to shape the skirt, you could look at Kwiksew 2004, which has a more-than-circle skirt pattern included.

The only thing I would say about the dress on the mainstreet dancewear site is that I think the skirt is too long for skating (even for dance) - it really needs to come to no higher than the top of the knee at the back and then shape the hem as they have from there.

(PS - no adult ice dancers at your rink? Come play at ours - we have loads!)

Clarice
08-16-2009, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE=aussieskater;397591] You just need to splice in the contrast band below the bust, and as an experienced leo maker that will cause you no problems.

The only thing I would say about the dress on the mainstreet dancewear site is that I think the skirt is too long for skating (even for dance) - it really needs to come to no higher than the top of the knee at the back and then shape the hem as they have from there.

[QUOTE]

You could just applique the contrast band on, if you'd rather do it that way. It would be easier than splicing.

I agree that the skirt is too long. I often buy dresses meant for ballet and shorten the skirts - I would most likely do the same with this one.

aussieskater
08-16-2009, 08:37 PM
You could just applique the contrast band on, if you'd rather do it that way. It would be easier than splicing.

I agree that the skirt is too long. I often buy dresses meant for ballet and shorten the skirts - I would most likely do the same with this one.

You're right - applique would be a good alternative here if splicing doesn't work. And shortening ballet skirts is a great idea - thanks!