View Full Version : Depressed :(

sk8ryellow
08-13-2009, 02:11 PM
I am doing an upcoming competition in September and the schedule has just been released. I am doing a footwork program at Platinum and I am against all of the Adult Masters people :( They are going to kick my butt!

RachelSk8er
08-13-2009, 03:11 PM
You don't know that. Trips and stumbles happen!

Footwork is my strength, but there have been numerous competitions where I nailed every jump and spin only to trip on my footwork. Last year in my free at ANs I almost wiped out on a rocker.

doubletoe
08-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Unless you are familiar with all of the adult masters skaters you are competing against, you really don't know that. Some masters skaters may have been off the ice for a long time or might not have kept up with the skills that are being rewarded by the judges these days.

Honestly, I would be relieved to find myself in your situation. Why? Because when everyone you are skating against is a higher level skater than you are, you have NO pressure to place higher than any of them! In fact, if you place higher than even ONE of them, that's a greater accomplishment than placing 1st in a group of skaters at your own level!

RachelSk8er
08-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Plus, "adult masters" is usually intermediate-senior all lumped together. Not to undermine adult masters level skaters at all, because they're all great skaters, but a lot of adults passed tests a long time ago, or they get what they need for the test and take it shortly after before they lose a particular jump. What you see adults competing (even in masters) compared to what you see younger skaters doing at the same level is much closer to the test requirements (for example, intermediate/novice is only allowed to do double toes, double loops and double sals. Junior/senior can do all doubles, triples are allowed, but from the women the most we see are double lutz combos and the very occasional double axel, and only one male has ever landed a triple in competition). I know that won't make a huge difference when we're just talking footwork.

They may be thinking "crap, I have to compete against a teenager!"

jskater49
08-14-2009, 10:11 AM
If I got depressed everytime I entered a competition where I expected to get my butt kicked, well I'd sure be very depressed.

I mean seriously, ....two competitions. You skate EXACTLY the same. One you are in a group of skaters less experienced than you or they screw up. You win. The other one you are in a group more experienced than you and they don't screw up. You come in last. You really feel better about winning when really it was about who showed up not how you skated?

Shrug. To me it's about ME skating and enjoying myself.

j

techskater
08-16-2009, 02:50 PM
and only one male has ever landed a triple in competition).

Actually, there are 2. Go back to 2004 ANs.

Kat12
08-16-2009, 04:32 PM
jskater has a point. Take me and dancing. Last year at one of my competitions I danced horribly (we're talking messing up, slipping on the stage, etc.) but still won the overall trophy for my group (because everyone must've REALLY sucked). Then earlier this year, I did one of my dances the best I feel I've ever done in competition. But didn't even place (that is, out of about 15 people, I did worse than 6th place). Guess which I was happier about?

I mean, i understand what you're saying...sometimes it feels bad to know that even if you've done your personal best, the judge(s) still didn't recognize that (or if they did, someone out there is still better than you). But there's still a satisfaction in knowing that you did the best you can do...and that's something. And with work, perhaps "the best you can do" will become better than it was. It definitely gives you something to work against--beats winning and feeling like you don't need to work yourself any harder, I guess.

Stormy
08-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Actually, there are 2. Go back to 2004 ANs.

Was it Eric Schroyer? I thought Larry was the only one.....?

NoVa Sk8r
08-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Yes, it was Eric in 2004 who did a 3lutz (as a 3lutz/2toe combo). Larry has done 3sal and 3toe at Adult Nats. (And in 2004, he did 3sal/3toe.)

techskater
08-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Was it Eric Schroyer? I thought Larry was the only one.....?

Correct. He tried a second 3 but was unsuccessful in his attempt of it.

miraclegro
08-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Well, i just got a very nice little "talk" from my coach, and she doesn't like to go by results. She is very much about "personal best" and she is right. And although i got first place this weekend at Dogwood, i know it was not my personal best. I was a very bad girl and didn't warm up like i should have right prior to skating. I warmed up prior to the noon practice ice, and then had lunch and watched a pairs number, and then realized i was behind time and had to get ready. I was pleased with results but not pleased with myself. That is the real bottom line.

Mrs Redboots
08-17-2009, 09:33 AM
You can't control what the other skaters do, and you can't control what the judges are going to think. All you can do is to go out there, skate your best, and have fun.

I was interested to read that the great Robin Cousins, who won Olympic Gold many years ago now, says he never skated for the judges, as they got to watch him for free - he skated for the audience, who'd paid good money to come and watch the event. Now, most adult events don't charge spectators, but the principle is the same! Skate for the audience, such as it is, not for the judges. And skate for yourself - how often do you get the chance to run through your programme on empty ice?

techskater
08-17-2009, 06:53 PM
My secondary coach is much the same way. Never shoot for perfection, only to get incrementally better. You'll only be disappointed because it will never be perfect.

Don't skate for the clipboards, skate for yourself!

sk8ryellow
08-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Sigh, yes I know its only adults but I am against Sherry Dowlen she is a wonderful skater actually my favorite adult skater besides my mum.

doubletoe
08-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Sigh, yes I know its only adults but I am against Sherry Dowlen she is a wonderful skater actually my favorite adult skater besides my mum.

Then you should tell her so! I bet she would be thrilled to know that! :D