View Full Version : The positive thread!!!

cuteness
10-09-2002, 09:34 AM
Well, I know that all skaters have rough days/weeks/years. So I thought I'd make a positive thinking thread. What do YOU do good? What are you strengths? Forget the weaknesses! :p

For me, I'd have to say that I have a pretty good overall presentation. (Feeling the music, straight back, flexibility) I also try to bring in more unique moves into my skating that not many people in my club or region do, such as hydroblading into a 2 or 3 (if it's working right) salchow and bielmanns with my head looking up at my skate like Naomi used to do. Another positive thing is that I have a 'real' outside edge lutz.

So how about you guys?

KathySkates
10-09-2002, 06:07 PM
Hi cuteness! What a great thread!
My positive thing is that I have good speed, especially for my age (40). I think that this comes from skating early in the am with the kids and their triples!
Another thing that is positive is that I can take the most awful falls and not be affected or hurt.
These are not things that I worked for though.
One thing that I worked very hard for is my axel. When it doesn't fail me, it can be pretty nice. BUT! I SLAVED for years for it!

pattern99
10-09-2002, 08:55 PM
Wow, finally something positive! After a terrible 2 years ( eeeek ) I know that no matter what, for my age and level I have the uncanny ability to truely feel my music during my programs, and as I'm told by alot of coaches, I've got a layback to die for. (thanx Sara! ;) )
And there are days when I feel terrible and I know that I can kick alot of butt in practice... you all know what I mean. Umm...push. Ok, I'm very powerful and strong...atleast at stroking.. (been werking on it since I began skating...should be pretty darn good by now! :-D ) and wow, ok, I'm very proud of my double axel. Only took four years (and MANY MANY injuries and time off) to get it. Yay. What inspires you??

*patt99*

Chico
10-09-2002, 10:26 PM
loop - I've been told by enough coaches and peers to think that maybe I do have an extra good loop. I've been told that I get great height and distance. This is my fav.

Chico

kayskate
10-10-2002, 06:30 AM
I am a better spinner than jumper, but my basic singles are pretty big. I do a nice loop and flip. My sal and toe cover good distance. My waltz grows weekly. My split isn't bad.

Spins:
This is my strength and I am happy to have it. I can do some really unusual stuff in addition to a general ability to spin very fast and center very well. My best spins are layback and flying camel. I can also blur when I put my mind to it.

I just started ice dancing and I really like that too.

Kay

LoopLoop
10-10-2002, 07:41 AM
I've often been told that I have good posture and extension (even though I'm not very flexible). I have a really strong loop jump, which I do from an inside spread eagle in my programs. And my moves coach tells me that my three turns look like I've had figures training, which I haven't.

JDC1
10-10-2002, 09:25 AM
Good idea because I am feeling kinda cranky today. Bad headache, it's raining and I always get headaches when it rains.

I have naturally good edges and really good feet.

I have been blessed with Sasha Cohen flexibility (cept the lower back) and my spirals are far beyond the level of the rest of my skating.

I don't let fear hold me back, even though the loop scares the beejesus out of me I practice it 5 times every time I skate(cept Wed night, too late to jump) and I fall atleast 3 times. :-)

pattern99
10-10-2002, 10:23 PM
JDC1, I admire your determination on that jump. I have a fear of sliding out and losing the edge on the take off (which happens with my dull blades :x ) Loops are also my best jump!!

GO LOOP JUMPS!! :: does dance :: woo hoo!!!

Heck, I'm agressive... no guts no glory... (I'm still feeling the pain from that fall this afternoon...triple sals KILL :cry: )

Actually, I admire any adult who has the courage, guts and passion to go and skate...I saw this woman at Sunshine state games who was like 85 years old. I'm not kidding. I sat there and watched her. Everyone applauded louder for the adults than anyone else. Wow. You go guys!

I feel like the youngin' around here! :: giggles :: :D

*patt99*

Chico
10-10-2002, 10:32 PM
pattern 99,

That gal may have been 85 in years, but I wonder how old she is in her heart. Age is not years but spirit. Your body may get old, but your spirit doesn't have to. Why become an old fart if you don't have too? When you get older you will understand this. =-) Too cool on supporting your adult peers. As an adult peer, we appreciate this. We try to support our younger skating pals too. Friends come in all ages, shapes, and sizes. (Can you tell I'm an old fart and mom? =-))

Chico

CanAmSk8ter
10-10-2002, 10:49 PM
I have good timing. Even when I do get off time, I know about it without being told.

Unfortunately I'm having a lousy week and can't think of anything else positive at the moment.

icenut84
10-12-2002, 12:00 PM
I was gonna start a thread like this! Great idea, a lot of us tend to focus on the negative more than the positive. I didn't have a great skate this morning so it's good to think about the good stuff sometimes.

I love my backward crossovers. In my group class, I go at least twice as fast as everyone else, and don't scratch. I find it easy to get a lot of power out of them. Several people, including coaches, have commented on them, and my old coach described them as "awesome"!! :mrgreen:

I am quite good at things like edges and turns. I can do all the three turns (including all the back turns) comfortably, and again coaches have commented on them. A while ago in a lesson, a coach I barely know saw my LFO-LBI and said really loudly: "Beautiful!" :) I also seem to pick up most things pretty quickly.

I've just started learning the flip, and I can honestly say I've only fallen on a jump ONCE in my whole life (it was a waltz jump last year). :) Pretty good record eh? 8) ;) Doesn't mean they always come off perfectly, but it's the only time I've ever fallen on a jump.

I also have a good sense of timing and rhythm.

:)

pattern99
10-13-2002, 12:25 AM
Chico, that 85 year old woman was 15 at heart!!!! And the amazing thing was....she loved being out there EVERY minute of it!!!
And as far as adult skaters go....that'll be me in 5 years!!! I might as well start learning!!

Pieces!
*patt99*