View Full Version : Rinks in/around Tucson, Arizona

LoopLoop
11-21-2002, 07:56 AM
I'll be in Tucson for Thanksgiving... any info on rinks, ice time, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Elsy2
11-21-2002, 08:04 AM
My trusty skating directory lists the following club in Tucson:

Tucson FSC - Gateway Ice Center, 7333 E. Rosewood St., (520) 290-8800. (This is listed as the principal rink headquarters)

Also listed as an additional rink address: Tucson Community Center, 260 S. Church, (520) 791-4101.

mikawendy
02-27-2005, 12:04 PM
I'll be in Tucson in June for a friend's wedding. Does anyone know of any rinks in or very close to Tucson that is open in June? (I don't think I'll have a rental car, so any trip to the rink would be with a bunch of friends.)

Thanks!

Sk8Bunny
02-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Polar Ice (http://www.polaricetucson.com/index.php) is the only rink in Tucson, usually there are freestyles in the afternoons for 2-3 hours. $6 an hour. Early afternoon sessions have about 3 people on them, later afternoon sessions have about 10.

BTW, only 2 hours north of Tucson is Phoenix, which has a lot of rinks, at least 4, and Altel Ice Den (http://www.coyotesice.com) in Scottsdale is a really good training center if you're looking for an elite skating environment.

mikawendy
03-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks, Sk8Bunny!
Those freestyle prices at Polar Ice are really great! Around where I live, that's about the bare minimum for a public session, and freestyles are about $9 or $10 (a bit less with a punch card).

People are telling me it gets REALLY hot in Arizona in June. Luckily the wedding I'm going to will feature some food that fits the weather--Ethiopian food and mango sorbet. (Bride is a vegan, and groom is Panamanian--the tradition in Panama of having ice cream at a wedding is being modified for her diet.)

shadowl3oxer
08-09-2009, 11:43 PM
I am moving to Tucson, and trying to figure out where the nearest rinks are. After a bit of researching, it appears that Tucson Ice closed down a few years ago. Also, Tuscon FSC's website hasn't been updated since 2006 which makes me wonder if figure skating is dead altogether in the area. So what do skaters living in Tuscon do? Drive to Chandler/Phoenix/Scottsdale to skate? Thanks in advance!

TreSk8sAZ
08-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Currently, there is no ice rink in Tucson. There was just a call for bids to build a new one on the West side near Ina Rd, but that process may take some time. There is sporadic ice time at the Tucson Convention Center, but you must be a member of the Tucson Figure Skating Club or a hockey team to be on that ice for insurance reasons.

Right now, many skaters are going to Scottsdale and Chandler a few times a week in order to continue skating.