View Full Version : What level skater are you?

FSWer
08-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Say,we haven't done a "what Level skater are you"thread in a while. So I thought we could do an update. Please include the Discipline(s) you do for that level.

Mrs Redboots
08-10-2009, 12:32 PM
I do hope you weren't intending this to apply just to American skaters, as the names of the levels are different in other countries around the world.

And, of course, one can have a different level in different disciplines - I, for instance, have Level 3 compulsory dance, level 2 skating moves and level 1 free dance, but don't have any free or pairs tests. My husband has his level 3 compulsory dances, level 3 skating moves, level 1 free dance AND level 1 Elements and level 1 Free....

CoachPA
08-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Dance: Gold (working on Internationals now)
Freestyle: Novice
Moves in the Field: Senior (passed in 2005)

jskater49
08-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Dance - Preliminary
Moves - Adult Bronze
FS - Adult Pre Bronze

FSWer
08-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Say,btw. can anyone please explain what is ment by COMPULSORY Dance? I've always wondered what that means.

TreSk8sAZ
08-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Compulsory means required or mandatory. A compulsory dance (versus a free or original dance) has required steps and timing that every single person or couple has to complete. They are judged on how well they do those required steps versus other competitors doing the same steps.

This is different than the original dance, where each person or couple makes up a dance to a combination of types of music (swing, tango, cha-cha, etc) and though there are elements they have to include, everyone can do whatever steps however they want.

The Free dance is just that - free. You get to choose whatever music and steps you want, as long as you have the elements required (twizzles, lifts) and you can do those elements however you want to if they follow the rules.

FSWer
08-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Interesting.Do we know any history or reason why unlike other Disciplines...we don't say Short and Long Program? As I know in Singles the Short has the required elements and the Free is just that. Why is Dance devided into 3?

niupartyangel
08-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Moves - pre-Bronze (hoping to test this October)
Freestyle - ISI FS 3/ pre-Bronze

Kim to the Max
08-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Moves: Novice, working on Junior - trying to pass Junior before October so that I have a solid amount of time to work on Senior before the change.

Freestyle: Pre-Juv, working to pass Juv soon!!

Dance: I will start dance after I pass Senior moves :) ((coach will NOT let me forget this promise made to make her get off my back!!))

Clarice
08-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Interesting.Do we know any history or reason why unlike other Disciplines...we don't say Short and Long Program? As I know in Singles the Short has the required elements and the Free is just that. Why is Dance devided into 3?

Well, singles skating used to have three parts, too - figures was the third. We just don't do them in competition any more. The compulsories in dance are sort of like figures - everybody does exactly the same steps. The other cool thing about compulsories is that if you and I both know the same dance (like the Dutch Waltz or the Canasta Tango), if we met at a social dance event we'd be able to dance it together even if we'd never been partners before. Social dance sessions or weekends are held all the time. They play music for the different compulsory dances, and if you know the dance you can ask somebody else to dance with you. Generally you try to get a different partner each time. It's a fun way to meet other ice dancers!

Now, to answer your question about levels, the ones I've passed are:
Free Skating: Adult Silver
Moves: Adult Gold
Dance: Preliminary, but I've passed one Pre-Bronze dance
Figures: Preliminary

londonicechamp
08-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Hi

I am currently only doing freestyle, and my level is:

Free: ISI level 3 (working on level 4 sit spin)

Coach has devised a program for me to work on too.

londonicechamp

ibreakhearts66
08-11-2009, 02:14 AM
Moves: IPassed ntermediate, working on Novice. Like Kim to the Max, I hope to test Novice moves in October or so and work on getting Junior moves in before the changes.

Freestyle: Juv FS (competing Open-Juv)

dance2sk8
08-11-2009, 09:47 AM
FS Pre-Bronze
Moves Pre Bronze

I am hoping to be Bronze by January so if I am good enough, I can head to nationals. My goal. :D

RachelSk8er
08-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Free: Adult silver, testing pre-juv Saturday
Dance: standard silver, on hiatus from dance and not really working on pre-golds at the moment
Moves: novice; hoping to test Junior in November.

Scarlett
08-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Moves - Pre-Bronze (Forever)
Free- Pre-bronze (See aforementioned moves)
Dance- Preliminary

Kat12
08-11-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm in LTS...I don't test or have my instructor keep track of my levels in any way, but once I get my FO 3-turns down (or maybe by that standard I do, as it asks for 3-turns on a standstill and I do them moving...i can't fathom doing them from a standstill), I'll have all of my skills for Basic 4...

jazzpants
08-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Bronze Moves and FS. No dance background (for now...) Working on Silver Moves currently...

PinkLaces
08-13-2009, 01:02 AM
FS Pre-Bronze
Moves Pre Bronze

I am hoping to be Bronze by January so if I am good enough, I can head to nationals. My goal.

Me, too! Especially since AN is in my area this time.

I am going to be starting dance in the fall session. I learned to the Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango as a kid. We'll see how much I remember LOL

FSWer
08-16-2009, 09:05 AM
I do hope you weren't intending this to apply just to American skaters, as the names of the levels are different in other countries around the world.

And, of course, one can have a different level in different disciplines - I, for instance, have Level 3 compulsory dance, level 2 skating moves and level 1 free dance, but don't have any free or pairs tests. My husband has his level 3 compulsory dances, level 3 skating moves, level 1 free dance AND level 1 Elements and level 1 Free....

Say,someone please give me an example of a country were Levels are different. BTW. are we talking completely different. Or are some of the Levels here standard all around the world?

blackmanskating
08-16-2009, 07:24 PM
I am Adult Silver right now. Those Gold moves are gonna kill me. LOL

BlackManSkating

techskater
08-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Say,someone please give me an example of a country were Levels are different. BTW. are we talking completely different. Or are some of the Levels here standard all around the world?

Almost every other country the levels are different. Canada, Mexico, Denmark, GB, France.....

aussieskater
08-16-2009, 09:02 PM
I think that most countries which are ISU members have Novice, Junior and Senior as level names in common (although test requirements for each of these levels differ between the member countries). All of the other levels can carry very different names.

Mrs Redboots
08-17-2009, 09:28 AM

UK, Canada, France, Germany.... The levels you are talking about are the USFSA levels, and apply only to the USA.

Most countries with a national association have a very similar progression through to the elite levels, but they are called different things and have slightly different elements in them -and very few countries have adult tests apart from the USA. Our Field Moves are very different to yours - not easier or harder, just different!

Mainemom
08-17-2009, 02:26 PM
UK, Canada, France, Germany.... The levels you are talking about are the USFSA levels, and apply only to the USA.

Most countries with a national association have a very similar progression through to the elite levels, but they are called different things and have slightly different elements in them -and very few countries have adult tests apart from the USA. Our Field Moves are very different to yours - not easier or harder, just different!

Could you point me to a website that would show what the Field Moves are for the UK? Just curious as to what the differences are. Do you call things the same - such as rockers, brackets, mohawks, etc...?

fsk8r
08-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Could you point me to a website that would show what the Field Moves are for the UK? Just curious as to what the differences are. Do you call things the same - such as rockers, brackets, mohawks, etc...?

Unfortunately NISA don't put them on the website but there may be descriptions on other websites. We use the same names for all the turns. Although Progressives are generally called Runs (as they're really called Progressive Runs and we just shorten it differently both sides of the Atlantic). There are other differences in what we call things, but not normally for things in MITF tests.