View Full Version : 2009 Buckeye Adult Open

flying~camel
08-07-2009, 07:09 AM
The announcement for the 2009 Buckeye Adult Open is up at http://www.skatecincinnati.org/competitions.html.

At this point, I'm planning on doing High Team Maneuvers, Low Team Maneuvers, Silver Spins, Silver Jumps and Interp A/D.

Who else is going???

Black Sheep
08-07-2009, 09:02 AM
In no particular order:

High Team Maneuvers
Gold FS
Masters Interp. Lt. Ent.
Masters Interp. A/D
8-)

RachelSk8er
08-07-2009, 09:04 AM
me me me!!!!!

I'll for sure be doing silver free, probably gold compulsory. No clue if I'll do any solo dances (pre-silver, silver and possibly pre-gold) or masters a/d interp. If they hold the test session again I'd like to test my junior moves.

If anyone needs a skater for a high team, hit me up! I have a kick @ss straight line step sequence!!!

sk8er1964
08-07-2009, 12:10 PM
I can't go :evil::evil: My son has an out-of-town hockey tournament that weekend.

RachelSk8er
08-07-2009, 04:23 PM
I can't go :evil::evil: My son has an out-of-town hockey tournament that weekend.

BOO hockey! Tell him no!

sk8er1964
08-07-2009, 07:22 PM
BOO hockey! Tell him no!

Ya know, I thought about it. However, this is probably his last year of travel hockey before he plays for his high school -- and I can't miss it. ;)

singerskates
08-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Wish our Canadian competitions had the events you have in there. Sounds like fun.

We mostly just do;

Freeskate
Interpretive (artistic/dramatic interpreting each note with movement)
Pairs
Couples Dance

No fun team events, just spins, just jump, just field moves or Light Entertainment interpretive. Sometimes we have solo dance.

Our times for each event program is much longer though. 1:40 is a bit short for interpretive.

Mel On Ice
08-09-2009, 09:38 AM
1:40 is just fine.

I'm doing high and low team, interp and freestyle. Maybe even judge.

RachelSk8er
08-10-2009, 07:34 AM
I might end up doing gold freeskate at this one. I threw together a gold version of my program and I actually like it a heck of a lot better because there is more time to just skate with 30 more seconds and only 1 more jump. Plus I like the longer cut of my music better. I still don't have a consistently clean axel at the moment though, but we'll see how things are looking closer to when apps are due. Even without the axel, if everything else is strong I can still put out a solid, respectable performance. Numbers for silver I/II were low last year (there were just 3 of us), so I'd rather skate up and I'll actually be less stressed (since I'm not out to win), and it will be good to stay calm if I'm able to test my moves there. And getting used to a 2:40 program will make going back to 2:10 for ANs a piece of cake.

Black Sheep
08-10-2009, 08:35 AM
1:40 is a bit short for interpretive.

My recent interp program is only 1:30 right now. That is all Chicago Open would allow for Adult Artistic events last week. But for me it worked just fine! ;)

Black Sheep
08-10-2009, 08:35 AM
I might end up doing gold freeskate at this one. I threw together a gold version of my program and I actually like it a heck of a lot better because there is more time to just skate with 30 more seconds and only 1 more jump. Plus I like the longer cut of my music better. I still don't have a consistently clean axel at the moment though, but we'll see how things are looking closer to when apps are due. Even without the axel, if everything else is strong I can still put out a solid, respectable performance. Numbers for silver I/II were low last year (there were just 3 of us), so I'd rather skate up and I'll actually be less stressed (since I'm not out to win), and it will be good to stay calm if I'm able to test my moves there. And getting used to a 2:40 program will make going back to 2:10 for ANs a piece of cake.

Sounds like fun. Go for it! :D

flying~camel
08-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Sometimes I wish we had 2:10 for interp just for the sake of cutting the music more easily. As far as skating and being able to express the music, 1:40 is plenty.

RachelSk8er
08-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Sometimes I wish we had 2:10 for interp just for the sake of cutting the music more easily. As far as skating and being able to express the music, 1:40 is plenty.

Some competitions are allowing us up to 2:10, but that's just a pain to worry about 2 versions of your program (especially if you're like me and interp is just an add-on event you may as well do while you're there and you don't put a whole lot of work into it). That's why you can still do 1:40 at these competitions and not get penalized for it.

LilJen
08-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Oh yeah, a few adults will be going from our club, since Cincy is an easy 2.5-3 hr drive. I'll be doing FS (pre-bronze), solo dance (again, pre-bronze; mebbe if I can learn the HH I'll do bronze but I kind of doubt it), compulsory moves. Although at 70 bucks for the first event and 35 for each additional, well--gee, I'd love to do jumps only, and open partner dance could be amusing, depending on who I danced with--but this wallet is not bottomless.

Morgail
08-11-2009, 08:52 AM
I think I may actually be going, if I can remember my silver program! I'll probably just be doing Silver Free.

dance2sk8
08-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I am definitely looking to go. This will be my first competition and I only have test at Pre-Bronze level. Not sure what I can and can not do as I'd like to add some tougher elements and footwork into my program. I am hoping to test Bronze before January so I can compete in that level category. I'll let you all know what events I will be signed up for.

I have to get a costume! :lol:

LilJen
08-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Scroll down the page to "2008-09 ISU Judging System Information for Adult Skaters" and click on the appropriate document (singles, pairs, dance) to find out the well-balanced program requirements for your level. You are allowed to skate up a level at this competition, too (one level above where you've passed a test):

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=112

Morgail
09-22-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm officially going. I registered online this morning.
This will be my first competition in...14 years. eek!! 8O I'm very excited, but nervous.

I'll be doing Silver Free. Another lady I skate with is also going and will be doing Silver Free.

londonicechamp
09-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi Morgail

Good luck for the competition.

Must be a strange feeling competing this time, after a gap of 14 years. :roll:

londonicechamp

flying~camel
09-22-2009, 11:39 AM
I also registered online this week and once my friendly neighborhood club officer signs my form, it will be in the mail. :)

I'm doing Bronze spins, high team maneuvers (Pony Express team!), low team maneuvers (Ice Derby Queens team!) and A/D interp.

I was going to do Silver spins instead of Bronze and Silver jumps but my coach and I decided that, since I'm still working on "recovering" from an auto-immune disorder (in quotes because I will never fully recover from it) and haven't really competed in a while that I shouldn't try to push myself too hard.

Morgail
09-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi Morgail
Good luck for the competition.
Must be a strange feeling competing this time, after a gap of 14 years. :roll:
londonicechamp

Thanks! It is strange, but I have a lot more confidence in my skating now than when I was a teenager.

I also registered online this week and once my friendly neighborhood club officer signs my form, it will be in the mail. :)
I'm doing Bronze spins, high team maneuvers (Pony Express team!), low team maneuvers (Ice Derby Queens team!) and A/D interp.
I was going to do Silver spins instead of Bronze and Silver jumps but my coach and I decided that, since I'm still working on "recovering" from an auto-immune disorder (in quotes because I will never fully recover from it) and haven't really competed in a while that I shouldn't try to push myself too hard.

See you there! I'm interested in watching the team maneuvers. I've never seen those done before.

Mel On Ice
09-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I need someone to clear my registration and start all over again. I FUBAR'ed it and need to start over.

techskater
09-24-2009, 06:12 PM
I am definitely looking to go. This will be my first competition and I only have test at Pre-Bronze level. Not sure what I can and can not do as I'd like to add some tougher elements and footwork into my program. I am hoping to test Bronze before January so I can compete in that level category. I'll let you all know what events I will be signed up for.

I have to get a costume! :lol:

You can skate up to Bronze if you are planning to test soon

Black Sheep
09-24-2009, 06:15 PM
In no particular order:

High Team Maneuvers
Gold FS
Masters Interp. Lt. Ent.
Masters Interp. A/D
8-)

Also the new MASTERS Team event! ;)

RachelSk8er
09-25-2009, 09:26 AM
My stuff is going in the mail today!

I'm doing silver free, gold/masters compulsory, both high and masters team, and (**fingers crossed**) testing junior moves the following day!

I also told Stacy that if they need competitors in pre silver/silver solo dance, I'd be willing to add myself to those. But dance turnout was low last year and I want to avoid overkill since I'm testing, and not really working on dance at the moment since I'm focused on getting my moves test ready.

flying~camel
09-25-2009, 10:21 AM
testing junior moves the following day!

WOOO! Good luck! :D

Bex is probably going to test her Novice moves that day, too!

RachelSk8er
09-25-2009, 10:57 AM
WOOO! Good luck! :D

Bex is probably going to test her Novice moves that day, too!

Rochelle is doing her senior, and I think Kim mentioned doing adult gold. Yay! I'm double checking w/Inna to be sure they have judges for the high tests (last year they did, year before though it was just low judges).

Morgail
09-25-2009, 12:40 PM
My stuff is going in the mail today!
I'm doing silver free, gold/masters compulsory, both high and masters team, and (**fingers crossed**) testing junior moves the following day!

Yay, silver free! We'll be in the same group if you're in I/II. :)
Good luck with the junior moves!

flying~camel
09-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Yay, silver free! We'll be in the same group if you're in I/II. :)
Good luck with the junior moves!

There are 2 others from the Grand Rapids area who will be competing Silver free. 1 is a I and the other is a II, so they would be in that group as well. :)

RachelSk8er
09-25-2009, 04:19 PM
There are 2 others from the Grand Rapids area who will be competing Silver free. 1 is a I and the other is a II, so they would be in that group as well. :)

Katie and Leslie (is Leslie a II? Or are you talking about Denise?)

flying~camel
09-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Katie and Leslie (is Leslie a II? Or are you talking about Denise?)

Denise and Leslie. I don't think Katie is going.

If I can get all my jumps & spins back, I'll do Silver free next year, though, by then, I'll be a II!

RachelSk8er
09-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Denise and Leslie. I don't think Katie is going.

If I can get all my jumps & spins back, I'll do Silver free next year, though, by then, I'll be a II!

Oohhh lucky. I'm "stuck" in I an extra year, my birthday is RIGHT after ANs apps are always due so I'll still be a I for 2012 ANs even though I'll be 31. I guess I could even bounce back and forth if there are any comps before ANs that have apps due slightly later after my birthday, and by their standards I'd end up a II. Although those comps are small enough that I and II are combined. That's also probably the year I'll move up to gold. Drats! (Unless I end up first or second in Silver I this year, then I'll move up next year).

flying~camel
09-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Oohhh lucky. I'm "stuck" in I an extra year, my birthday is RIGHT after ANs apps are always due so I'll still be a I for 2012 ANs even though I'll be 31.

I'll be a I for 2010 ANs, even though I'll be 31 because my b-day is in February. Oh well, I'm only doing interp this year, so it doesn't really matter :)

Morgail
09-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Sounds as though we might have a sizeable group for Silver I/II! They usually combine these 2 age groups, right?

flying~camel
09-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Sounds as though we might have a sizeable group for Silver I/II! They usually combine these 2 age groups, right?

It depends on the number of entries. For example, in 2006, Silver I & Silver II were separate events but in 2008, they were combined.

RachelSk8er
09-28-2009, 06:04 PM
It depends on the number of entries. For example, in 2006, Silver I & Silver II were separate events but in 2008, they were combined.

Yeah last year there were only 3 of us in I and II for free. (Silver compulsory there were 3 or 4 of us and we went from I all the way to IV).

Dang, I have a title to defend!!!

Morgail
09-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Dang, I have a title to defend!!!

:) My only expectation is that I don't faint from nerves or exhaustion in the middle of my program!

Mel On Ice
09-29-2009, 10:05 PM
I'll be there for bronze free and two team manuevers, then I'll be the acid-faced judge making lives miserable.

RachelSk8er
09-30-2009, 07:29 AM
I'll be there for bronze free and two team manuevers, then I'll be the acid-faced judge making lives miserable.

We all need to start schmoozing now...

You can borrow my snuggie if you want. It will keep you warm.

Mel On Ice
09-30-2009, 09:39 PM
I just got a snuggie for my b-day. Perhaps a Sham-wow? I'm just looking forward to seeing everyone, honestly.

flying~camel
10-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Mel, I hope you are judging my interp because I think you're gonna LOVE it! :)

RachelSk8er
10-01-2009, 06:51 AM
Mel, I hope you are judging my interp because I think you're gonna LOVE it! :)

From my experience, Mel likes when you try to seduce her with your interp.

LilJen
10-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Rochelle is doing her senior, and I think Kim mentioned doing adult gold. Yay! I'm double checking w/Inna to be sure they have judges for the high tests (last year they did, year before though it was just low judges).

I have a secondary coach/choreographer who'll be testing her senior free, so there should be high-level judges there.

Whee, i got added to a low team maneuvers. No word on a team name yet. . .

Any other pre-bronze IIs out there? This will probably be my last chance at the II bracket. . . next year I'll be the youngest in the III age group (whee!!).

Mel, a Sham-WOW would be splendid. What other "as seen on TV" items can we bribe you with?

Mel On Ice
10-01-2009, 09:21 PM
the bra strap thing would be nice.

Skittl1321
10-01-2009, 09:40 PM
the bra strap thing would be nice.

A safety pin works about the same way. It's what I use when I skate, since I prefer a racerback bra.

Mel On Ice
10-04-2009, 11:44 AM
but a safety pin is not a fun "as seen on TV!" product, complete with breathless commentary and animated bursts.

sk8er1964
10-04-2009, 02:55 PM
but a safety pin is not a fun "as seen on TV!" product, complete with breathless commentary and animated bursts.

:lol: The eye is an amazing thing. I first read this as:

...complete with breathless commentary and animated busts.

w.w.west
10-04-2009, 03:16 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Morgail
10-05-2009, 12:04 PM
How about the Slap Chop? I get a case of the giggles whenever that infomercial comes on tv.

RachelSk8er
10-05-2009, 12:18 PM
How about the Slap Chop? I get a case of the giggles whenever that infomercial comes on tv.

Between that and the Magic Bullet, I almost wish I enjoyed cooking. Maybe I would actually cook more if I had sweet gadgets. And time.

Mel On Ice
10-06-2009, 09:02 PM

c'mon - you've seen my boobs, they are animated

sk8er1964
10-06-2009, 11:02 PM
:lol:

flying~camel
10-26-2009, 12:15 PM
The schedule is up!

http://www.skatecincinnati.org/competitions.html

I skate at 10:27 AM (Bronze spins), 3:57 PM (high team maneuvers) and 4:21 PM (low team maneuvers) on Saturday and 8:52 AM (A/D interp A) on Sunday!

dance2sk8
10-26-2009, 02:36 PM
I am jealous. Next year I am coming down to compete. :roll:

Morgail
10-26-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm in Silver B on Saturday!

Wondering if "B" corresponds to "II" in the age groups. If so, I got bumped up to the next age group...not complaining about that at all! :)

flying~camel
11-09-2009, 08:51 AM
It was so great to see everyone this past weekend! What a fun competition!

I got 1st in Bronze spins, 1st in A/D interp group A, 3rd in low team maneuvers and 4th in high team maneuvers!

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2009, 05:47 AM
Glad you all had fun - we had a lovely time at Oxford Seniors here in the UK; there were 9 couples in the lowest-level compulsory dances, the highest ever, we think! Wonderful. BatikatII and her partner won, deservedly, as they also did with their free skate; we were gratified not to come last in the compulsories! We did come last in the other two classes we'd entered (unsurprisingly!), but in what's called the Zimmer Trophy (you have to be over 45, and your combined age has to be over 100!) one judge had us ahead of another couple in one dance, which was Very Gratifying! Thanks to frbskate63 and her team for a wonderful day!

Mind you, the absolute best thing was seeing a Silver couple back on the ice after over a year out while the man was having his hip replaced!

Morgail
11-10-2009, 12:57 PM
I had a great time at Buckeye! Everyone was so friendly. And I even placed first, which was a nice surprise. I'm definitely planning to return next year!