View Full Version : age where you don't have to solo anymore...

613fan
08-05-2009, 09:44 AM
hi, i remember that you used to be able to decline a solo if you were over a certain age in canada (26???). Does anyone know if those rules exist anymore? Are there any mandatory solos anymore? I'm working on my jr. Silvers, and I'm 27. Thanks.

jp1andOnly
08-05-2009, 10:21 AM
it's 25.
No, there are no more solos. A judge can ask you to solo a dance but if you are over that age of 25 you just say no

hi, i remember that you used to be able to decline a solo if you were over a certain age in canada (26???). Does anyone know if those rules exist anymore? Are there any mandatory solos anymore? I'm working on my jr. Silvers, and I'm 27. Thanks.

RachelSk8er
08-06-2009, 07:41 AM
it's 25.
No, there are no more solos. A judge can ask you to solo a dance but if you are over that age of 25 you just say no

In Canada, for dance tests (standard track not adult), how exactly do dance tests work? Isn't it that you partner, and if the judges want to see the solo they ask you (otherwise it's not required)? I have some friends who are through their golds in Canada, and I thought that's how they explained it to me.

In the US, for standard track, starting at a certain level (it's silver now, used to be our pre-silver) you HAVE to both 2 patterns partner, 2 patterns solo and pass both together. Lower tests you only parnter, no solo ever. Junior/senior Internationals are also only partnered. The solo part is what killed me on a few tests, I used to get REALLY nervous on the ice alone thanks to synchro!

sk8tmum
08-06-2009, 12:16 PM
There isn't an "adult" track per se in Canada. However, just checked, and there is a rule amendment as of 2003 that you can't ask someone 25 or older to solo.

Everything Sr Bronze and below is partnered. The exception appears to be the Preliminary Creative dance and the Bronze Creative dance, which you can do as solo, shadow or partnered.

If the judge so wishes, they can ask you to solo a Jr Bronze or up dance; it's usually where they see a problem and think it may be do to partnering. "When a solo skating occurs, the evaluator shall not record an additional evaluation, but use this as a check on the candidate’s knowledge of the steps, accuracy in timing and sureness of skating."

At Junior Silver and above, the same rules apply on a request for a solo. You have to do it if they ask. But, unlike the good 'ol days, you don't HAVE to solo anything. There's also no minimum age for any of the dances ...

There are some dances that you can do solo OR partnered from Junior Silver up. You automatically get the pass on "unison" if you do it solo. I believe that the Keats, the American (?) are examples of ones where you don't need a partner if you don't want one.

If you have your Skate Canada nUmber, log into the Members only part of www.skatecanada.ca. Look for the Rules book, and it's all outlined there, including how many times you have to do the circuit for each dance :)

RachelSk8er
08-06-2009, 01:48 PM
There isn't an "adult" track per se in Canada. However, just checked, and there is a rule amendment as of 2003 that you can't ask someone 25 or older to solo.

Everything Sr Bronze and below is partnered. The exception appears to be the Preliminary Creative dance and the Bronze Creative dance, which you can do as solo, shadow or partnered.

If the judge so wishes, they can ask you to solo a Jr Bronze or up dance; it's usually where they see a problem and think it may be do to partnering. "When a solo skating occurs, the evaluator shall not record an additional evaluation, but use this as a check on the candidate’s knowledge of the steps, accuracy in timing and sureness of skating."

At Junior Silver and above, the same rules apply on a request for a solo. You have to do it if they ask. But, unlike the good 'ol days, you don't HAVE to solo anything. There's also no minimum age for any of the dances ...

There are some dances that you can do solo OR partnered from Junior Silver up. You automatically get the pass on "unison" if you do it solo. I believe that the Keats, the American (?) are examples of ones where you don't need a partner if you don't want one.

Interesting. I recall my friends and I all starting dance around the same time, and they progressed a lot faster and failed a lot less often than those of us in the US because they seemed to be a lot pickier here (since both the solo and the partnering have to be perfect on the same test session, and everyone seems to be stronger or more comfortable with one than the other). We were all synchro skaters so the partnering tended to come more easily and having someone else out there kept the nerves down.

In the US, we have the option after age 25 of staying on the standard track or switching to the adult track (which never requires a solo and the passing standard is slightly lower), but getting your gold test as an adult is different than getting your gold test standard. Some skaters switch, some don't. I still do standard because I'm not in a huge rush to get finished (I only have 2 levels to go) and perfecting the solo up to the standard passing mark is what makes me a better skater.

jp1andOnly
08-08-2009, 12:00 PM
In Canada, you test your dances with a dance pro. If you are say a competitive dancer and both partners are trying their test, then yes, both have to pass. A dance pro is a coach who has already passed the tests. The judges will only focus on the person trying the test. If you have a dance pro that isn't strong at the gold or diamond dances, then the likelyhood of a pass by the partner is narrowed

Interesting. I recall my friends and I all starting dance around the same time, and they progressed a lot faster and failed a lot less often than those of us in the US because they seemed to be a lot pickier here (since both the solo and the partnering have to be perfect on the same test session, and everyone seems to be stronger or more comfortable with one than the other). We were all synchro skaters so the partnering tended to come more easily and having someone else out there kept the nerves down.

In the US, we have the option after age 25 of staying on the standard track or switching to the adult track (which never requires a solo and the passing standard is slightly lower), but getting your gold test as an adult is different than getting your gold test standard. Some skaters switch, some don't. I still do standard because I'm not in a huge rush to get finished (I only have 2 levels to go) and perfecting the solo up to the standard passing mark is what makes me a better skater.

phoenix
08-09-2009, 09:27 PM
In Canada, you test your dances with a dance pro. If you are say a competitive dancer and both partners are trying their test, then yes, both have to pass. A dance pro is a coach who has already passed the tests. The judges will only focus on the person trying the test. If you have a dance pro that isn't strong at the gold or diamond dances, then the likelyhood of a pass by the partner is narrowed

We do the same thing in the US--meaning most skaters test w/ a partner who is a pro, either their own coach or someone who helps out w/ the partnering if you have a female coach or there isn't a male partner in your area. Once we hit the silver level (on the standard track), you go out & skate the dance w/ the partner, 2-4 patterns depending on the dance, then you immediately go back out & skate 2 patterns solo.