View Full Version : Is it normal to have a kind-of sore landing foot?

CreativeSkater
07-31-2009, 12:36 AM
Hi! My right foot (landing foot) has been sore when I point it or bend it back using my foot muscle to move it (not when I use my hand to stretch it out). It doesn't hurt when I'm skating or walking, so I'm assuming it's not a big deal. I am a little worried, though. Is it tired/sore maybe because the muscles are working so much, so maybe the muscles are actually getting stronger?? Or should I be worried that I really hurt something. As skaters, do you feel mild soreness in your landing foot when pointing the foot or bending it back using your foot muscle (when the foot is not in the skate)? I wanted to know if it's normal for skaters to have a kind-of sore landing foot, or if I should worry. It doesn't bother me, but I still notice it.

CoachPA
07-31-2009, 06:59 AM
Does the foot hurt when flexing as well? Is that what you mean by "bend it back using my foot muscle to move it"?

My first thought is that you may be tying your skates too tight...

rsk8d
07-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Where exactly does it hurt? That'll give me a better idea how to direct you...

CreativeSkater
07-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Actually, it doesn't hurt as much to flex it, but to point it. It hurts right at bottom of my ankle (just above the foot) in the front of the foot. It kind of feels like muscles do right after you use them for lifting weights or something...except my ankle ALWAYS feels like that when I point it. I'm hoping it's just getting stronger or something but I'm not really sure...is this common for most skaters?

rsk8d
08-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Typically it is a ligament strain when you passively move it, and a muscle strain with active movement. In your case, if it was purely muscular in the front of ankle, it would hurt with dorsiflexion (bringing your toes up towards you), and not plantarflexion (toes pointing downward). So you don't exactly fit either scenario. It could possibly a movement issue of one of the smaller bone in your foot when you maximally plantarflex. If it does not bother you when you walk or skate, or with any other functional movement, it may be a non-issue. If it continues to bother you functionally, see a PT

CreativeSkater
08-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks :) It is very peculiar and it's been there a long time now. I hope it goes away soon :/

Earnhardt09
08-03-2009, 02:30 PM
I was wondering, is there any type of medical treatment for this?

I have had this same foot pain for quite some time. My coach recommended new skates, which didn't help either. I am thinking about going to my doctor. What do you guys think about icy hot pads?

I'm desperate really. Right now I am taking pain killers (tylenol), but I'd like to have it fixed for good. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

doubletoe
08-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Are you using gel ankle sleeves or any other sort of padding around your ankles? If not, that might help.

rsk8d
08-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Bunga pads will help if it's pain from pressure from the skate. If it's muscular or ligamentous, go to a doctor and a PT, who can fuly evaluate it.

Query
08-04-2009, 01:07 PM
This reminds me of a ballerina I met who wouldn't visit a doctor because it hurt when she jumped. She thought she might have a fractured foot, and didn't want to be told not to dance.

Realistically, I don't see how those of us without medical training can figure out for ourselves how serious things are. For myself, I would assume a long term pain was an indication that something bad was happening, especially if it was true when I wasn't wearing boots. Most of us don't seriously hurt just from having resistance to motion (like stiff boots), unless you continue an exercise against resistance long enough to make the muscles briefly sore (which can be a good type of pain, building up muscle strength, if it only lasts a minute or two), though various boot fit problems can create many types of pain.

Rsk8d is a certified Physical Therapist, so she is the one most worth listening to. But all you can get over the internet is a judgement that it might be something serious - which she has given you. Medical practitioners need to examine you directly, and sometimes order extra tests, to make an accurate diagnosis.

stardust skies
08-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Pain indicates something is wrong. It is never "normal". Sure, some aches and pains you have to deal with, but not before you identify what is causing the pain and rule out anything that needs to be fixed. Go get it checked out.

rsk8d
08-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Realistically, I don't see how those of us without medical training can figure out for ourselves how serious things are.
Rsk8d is a certified Physical Therapist, so she is the one most worth listening to. But all you can get over the internet is a judgement that it might be something serious - which she has given you. Medical practitioners need to examine you directly, and sometimes order extra tests, to make an accurate diagnosis.

Thanks Query! You're right on the money!

stacyf419
08-05-2009, 05:58 AM
You should definitely see a doctor - but just to let you know I had a similar issue in both feet which started extending up my outer shins, and my massage therapist told me to start doing shin stretches. I was like, 'SHIN stretches? How the h*ll do you stretch your shins?' You have to point your toe and press the top of the foot against a stair, both straight on and inwards. It's one of those situations where we're always stretching our calves but never the opposite stretch, which is the shin. They tend to tighten up and become very rigid and painful.

Anyway, please definitely check with a doctor first!!