View Full Version : Our rink got sold

niupartyangel
07-30-2009, 09:04 PM
So my coach informed me last Saturday that earlier last week, the long time owner of our rink sold the facility.

The new owner is looking to "clean house". No word on whether he is keeping the skating school/figure skating program, I would think he would because there are a lot of kids in there and the synchro teams are well established, lots of kids in freestyle ice so it's gotta be making money.

The coaches are not sure if he's gonna get rid of staff or replace some with his own people :P

My coach only does private lessons (she only teaches me and this one other girl) and doesn't teach skate school anymore, so she said worse comes to worse we can transfer to another rink that one of her old coaches now is skating director for, which is 30 mins from my house (right now the current rink is half that distance). I don't mind and no way am I switching coaches when I'm making great progress on my pre-bronze MIF elements. I'm just kinda annoyed because summer's almost over and the contracts are always due 2-3 weeks before the following season so I'm not sure whether to sign for a new contract or not...and at our rink it definitely is cheaper to be a contract skater coz they charge $3 more for walk ins.

Anyone else got their rink sold in the past? What happened?

plinko
07-31-2009, 09:15 AM
We had a great deal at a private rink, the ice was a reasonable price and we didn't have to join a club, it was just a skating school and we paid on a monthly basis for sessions. Joining a club means tons more rules and paying a whole season up front, at more money. Then the rink got sold and they went to only hockey. We moved to a rink much farther away as the skating school relocated. Then, funny how that works, the new management at the old rink decided they wanted a skating school so our coaches came back and we've been at that rink again for about two years. This week, we were told it was sold again and they are not doing skating school at all, deja vu! So, we might be able to go again to where we were before, but that rink management has changed so we don't know anything. It's possible as of Sept 1st, we will have no ice anywhere, and the skating school will be homeless.

So, same as you, club applications are all due around now and I have to decide whether to pay up and join one, or hold off and see if our skating school guy can find a new home, but it's not looking good.