View Full Version : Inquiry - What is it like..?

WriterOne
07-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Hello, I am a freelance writer currently working on a project. Please forgive me for not being terribly ice skating savvy. I love watching skating events, but have done so only casually, and skated only as a child years ago.

In the opening of one of the chapters of the project on which I am currently working, I would like to be able to describe what it is like for a female skater to work with a male skater when putting together a dance...the idea of trusting someone to carry you across the ice and/or throw you above his head...and so on. I am trying to convey what is needed in order for the best possible dance to occur on the ice...what the male needs to be careful to do and be aware of and what the female has to consider. My interests are not so much in the technical aspects of skating as they are in what is beneath the surface emotionally.

For instance, I can't imagine trusting someone--another skater--to carry me through the air or spin holding me precariously in his grasp, knowing that if he let go I could have serious injury.

I wondered if anyone present on these forums who understands this dynamic could share that with me...perhaps the first time you trusted in the man you were partnered with for a certain competition. Or how you built that trust....what it required of you.

I would like permission to use what you share with me in my work and I can certainly credit you by name if you like, though I would need to retain the freedom to edit what you share all to pieces. 8-)

I would especially like to hear from anyone who doesn't mind emailing me about this privately at my email address: harleys heidi at geeee mail dot com (push it all together, use the @ sign and . instead of dot and g instead of geeee...you get the idea!).

Thank you for your help. I can't offer any money for this...and no true fame :lol:. But you would have the joy of knowing you helped me to illustrate something. If you want to know more, please email me. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Heidi Bylsma (<--feel free to google my name...scroll down a page or so and you will see some of the work attributed to me....)