View Full Version : Jumping up or falling down Practice 7/27 - 8/1

Kat12
07-27-2009, 08:56 PM
I feel like we might've done a jumping/falling title recently, but I can't remember...

Falling down: didn't make it to the rink on Sunday; had planned to but my mom got sick this weekend so I was up with her. Oh well, rather be there anyway.

Did fall today. But only on my well-padded bum, so all was well. And two-foot spins went down the drain in the second half of the class. Weren't great today anyway...

Jumping up: one-footed a couple spins *coughcoughaccidentallycough* Yeah, can't do it on command but if I lose my balance...

Backward outside edges getting better. Slowly. Oh well.

Finished my socks-turned-bootcovers this weekend and tried them tonight. They seem to work out nicely, yay!

phoenix
07-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Jumping Up: Okay, I *swear* that my 2 dances have improved in the last 2 weeks. I can feel it when I skate through them--better control, better edges, slightly closer to being on time, better stamina.

Falling Down: With my track record, I won't skate very well in my lesson, and coach will still hate them. *sigh*

FlyAndCrash
07-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Falling Falling Falling...
I finished learning the intermediate moves today. I have to clue how long it will take to perfect them, but I suspect it will be a long time. I will probably test these at school in December if there is going to be a test session this year like there was last year, but... we'll have to see.

Up Up Up
At least I've managed to get all the steps right on the moves. And most of the edges are correct... :giveup:

Falling Falling Falling
My program sucked today. I finished late, missed a jump combo, and totally missed at least half my footwork. My coach puts all this down to endurance, and is making me skate an additional day each week until my test and to go to her workout class every week. PAINFUL!!!

Up Up Up - well... kinda
I have a test date! It's in about 3.5 weeks, so hopefully, I will be ready by then.

liz_on_ice
07-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Jumping - coach was happy with my moves - at least happy enough with the test still a month away :roll:

We agreed I'd attempt both moves and free tests. He gave me a quickie programlet to put the pre-bronze freeksate elements to, the test has no music but he says it goes quicker if you string them together and practice them that way

Coach started me on first pre-axel drill on his list. Sort of a wonky entrance to a waltz jump, with the jump focused on height rather than distance, free knee and arms starting to think about air position. I'm on the road!

falling - still too tired to practice all my jumps after lesson. I did a bunch of loops, but not enoug energy left to do justice to flip and lutz.
I *have* to go back to running or biking regularly to build up stamina

liz_on_ice
07-29-2009, 08:30 AM
wow, no one else practiced tuesday?

I'm working hard - I just signed up for my first two tests - PreBronze Moves and Free - in Augst, wheeeee!

Jumping, ran through both tests, practiced all my jumps through Lutz and even landed a couple lutzes, sit spin is coming along. I'm aiming for those 4 revs for FS4 - Bronze only requires 3 I'll be set.

Falling - my plain old forward spin is suffering from lack of attention since my spin time has been devoted to back, sit, and camel. Oh, and I need a 2 foot spin for the test, I barely remember how. :roll:

blue111moon
07-29-2009, 10:33 AM
I practiced Tuesday night. We went out dinner afterward, though and by the time I got home, it was too late to do anything but go to bed. Night owl, I'm not. :)

Falling down: The spin breakthrough seems to be over. I don't know if it was the humidity or the heat or whatever but I felt heavy and slow all day. At the rink I couldn't seem to suck in enough oxygen and everything was work instead of fun, the way it has been. It didn't help that Tough Coach was back from her vacation and determined to make up for lost time. Anyway I couldn't spin my way out of a paper bag last night. Frustrating because last week was so good.

Jumping up: The jumps weren't terrible, though and TC is talking lutz and flip again. 8O And the dances are coming along. Slide chasse needs work and my posture and expression still suck. Lots of work to do before November's test.

liz_on_ice
07-29-2009, 10:57 AM
duplicate, sorry

liz_on_ice
07-29-2009, 12:06 PM
I practiced Tuesday night. We went out dinner afterward, though and by the time I got home, it was too late to do anything but go to bed. Night owl, I'm not. :)

Falling down: The spin breakthrough seems to be over. I don't know if it was the humidity or the heat or whatever but I felt heavy and slow all day. At the rink I couldn't seem to suck in enough oxygen and everything was work instead of fun, the way it has been.

Oh, gosh, yes. I forgot to remark on the heavy ground fog in my rink. I couldn't keep my glasses clear. It was also dripping from the ceiling. It was like a frozen rainforest - really funny.

katz in boots
07-30-2009, 04:35 AM
Jumping Up & Falling Down
Not me! strained leg muscles limited what I could do today.

I combined with another student to have private ice time. For the first time in a very long time (and I mean months), the ice was P E R F E C T !!! No bumps, it was fast yet still a good texture. Felt like I could glive forever.

Jumping Up
worked very hard on all edges and 3 turns. Without bumps on the ice to worry about, I was amazed how much better my BI edges were.

Because of leg injury, only worked forward and back scratch spins today. Although I didn't think I was spinning well, when I looked at the ice at the end of the session, I was surprised. Tracings for both types of spin actually looked darned good compared to a few weeks ago. Progress=higher expectations, it seems.

Falling Down
leg injury still niggling. Will have to take it easy on the weekend as well, so no sit spins, probably no camels, and may not be able to do jumps other than loop.

Missed having a lesson today (yes, I am a masochist, thanks for asking)
and coach is away for another 2 weeks, back for 2 weeks, then again for about 6 weeks. Still, I feel darned lucky to be learning from her.

If anyone is interested, this is my coach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ckpeJX0qo

She' s in Magic on Ice in Abu Dhabi at the mo.

BatikatII
07-30-2009, 05:50 AM
falling down: ice was horrible today - very rutted and nasty. Went down heavily doing back crossrolls after catching edge in a rut. Didn't hit my head but my back is really hurting now.

Continued with lesson and
jumping up: at end coach asked for a toe-loop, then a loop , then a flip and I managed a nice one of each first time which I was pleased with. I'm trying very hard to get jumps that are real jumps and not just 'fancy entries into a 3 jump' as so many jumps seem to be.

Now need to video my jumps to check. The trick is to play the jump backwards very slowly (frame by frame is best) and look at your feet and body positions and where your weight is, at the moment your foot appears to touch the ice (which is the actual take off point when played forwards). I'm aiming to actually take off while still backwards and not do a half turn on the toepick or edge first.

doubletoe
08-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Falling down
My flying camel is an embarrassment to camels everywhere. :roll: I don't know why I have always struggled with it but it sure is getting old!

Jumping up
After months of feeling tired, today I actually felt a normal energy level all day, including my evening lesson and freestyle session! I made it through my program without skipping any elements or falling out of my final spin, and was not even particularly tired afterward! Yay! :D

katz in boots
08-01-2009, 03:39 AM
After months of feeling tired, today I actually felt a normal energy level all day, including my evening lesson and freestyle session! I made it through my program without skipping any elements or falling out of my final spin, and was not even particularly tired afterward! Yay! :D

What's the secret!!! This could be worth $$$ to you!
I want what you're having!:lol:

Falling Down
crowded public session with kamikaze teenagers hurtling around, made it difficult to focus.
Backspins have disappeared yet again:frus:
Strained leg muscles still not recovered, though better than last week.

Jumping up
did some good work on edges & turns, and managed to get in some small jumps today. Waltz, toe-loop & salchow and even some loops. Scratch spins quite good. And lots of footwork

blackmanskating
08-01-2009, 11:10 AM
First off Hey Everybody!!! I have been off the ice for a long time due to a nagging knee injury!! But I will post my progress back on the ice recently!

Falling Down

- All of this extra weight I've gained has made it difficult to jump. If I am ever to land a clean double axel one day, I gotta get rid of this dead weight. LOL
- My nerves still cause me to shake and tremble in front of judges. I bombed my Silver Moves test a while back because of it. My coach is working with me to make these moves very easy so that I don't panic so much.
- My double loop jump is a quarter turn short!!! I have no idea why! The loop jump is my favorite jump and for some reason, doing a double seems very difficult :frus:
- My forward sit spin is horrible!!! My back sit is non-existent unless I do it from a "death drop". I can't seem to do a back camel unless it's from a flying position. I need to work on my right side!!!
- Working on my first level 3 combination spin. Outside edge camels are scary as heck.

Jumping Up

- Even with the injury and the extra weight, my double sal, double toe, and double flip are still there. Double toe is the hardest for me to pull off though. I hate toeloops. Double Flip feels great. I gotta figure out how to transfer that feeling into a double lutz. :roll:
- My axel is doing well. I over-rotate it sometimes. I'm capable of doing it from footwork ending with a RBO3 to FRI bracket into the axel. I was inspired when I saw Mao Asada enter her triple axel this way. I think I like doing that better than the inside spread eagle-change edge-axel.
- I did loops for the first time this week. I'm not talking about the loop jump. I'm talking footwork. Forward outside loops are still very difficult, but I can do the back insides going both directions. I wanna put it in my straight line to hopefully get Level 2 footwork.

BlackManSkating

katz in boots
08-02-2009, 03:22 AM
Jumping Up
strained leg muscles feeling better enough for me to jump a bit more today. Feel like my salchows are improving. Flips weren't too bad, toe-loops improving. Loops not bad either.
Nice to jump again.

Learned a new sort of step today from another skater, not sure what it is: starting on a flat inside edge then step down like a mohawk but onto an outside edge with free foot tucked behind, then step fwd to an outside edge.

Falling Down
totally lost my backspin yet again. 2 weeks ago it was going really well, today it was non-existent. Wish coach wasn't going to be away for another 2 weeks. For some reason my backspins are much better in lessons.

Mrs Redboots
08-02-2009, 09:49 AM
First off Hey Everybody!!! I have been off the ice for a long time due to a nagging knee injury!! But I will post my progress back on the ice recently!

Welcome back! Sorry to hear you have had an injury.

blackmanskating
08-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Welcome back! Sorry to hear you have had an injury.

Thanks Mrs. Redboots!!! It's been a struggle physically and financially but I still love this sport. :mrgreen: How are things with you?

BlackManSkating

Kim to the Max
08-02-2009, 10:25 PM
[Jumping Up]
Temporary coach and I had a good moves lesson today :)

[Falling Down]
I am getting extremely impatient with my ankle right now...I sprained it 7 days ago and it's not completely healed yet and I just do not do well with not being able to do what I want to do. I am walking, going up and down stairs very well with no pain and minimal stiffness and there hasn't been any swelling for days. However, when I put my skates on today, my ankle didn't seem to like the padding in the skates which was pushing against it. :roll: It didn't hurt, but was uncomfortable. I only did 2 waltz jumps and then did a few spins (scratch, sit, back scratch), and the back scratch was the roughest because of the entry edge (I sprained my right ankle, which is my landing foot). Basic skating is okay, however I am not getting as good of a push off of my right foot...and I was only able to make it for 1 45 minute session because my ankle was arguing with me about my boots.

I need to start working on the strength piece now that there is no pain and . Anyone have some good exercises for getting the strength back in my ankle? I have been doing some balance work (standing on one foot w/ arms out, crossed against my chest, with eyes closed), writing the alphabet, walking on my heels and toes, etc. Plus, I walk all over campus everyday for work, including up and down 123 stairs (I live on the top of a very large hill). Any other suggestions? And getting some patience is not really an option since that has been an issue for years! :halo:

luckykid
08-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Jumping up
My skates are getting more comfortable now, so I can go on with my lesson without much pain.

Falling down
Double three turns. Seriously, I canNOT do it. I turn with my toepick sometimes, which is one thing hindering me from doing a double three turn. But even when I don't, I can't do a backwards turn. I keep hopping to turn myself after the forward turn. I wonder why my coach doesn't teach me backwards three turn before doing a double turn. Or is it supposed to be this sequence? -shrug- Anyway I kept falling and my coach eventually decided not to teach me a double three turn.

doubletoe
08-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Jumping up
My skates are getting more comfortable now, so I can go on with my lesson without much pain.

Falling down
Double three turns. Seriously, I canNOT do it. I turn with my toepick sometimes, which is one thing hindering me from doing a double three turn. But even when I don't, I can't do a backwards turn. I keep hopping to turn myself after the forward turn. I wonder why my coach doesn't teach me backwards three turn before doing a double turn. Or is it supposed to be this sequence? -shrug- Anyway I kept falling and my coach eventually decided not to teach me a double three turn.

On the moves-in-the field tests, you first learn back 3-turns for Pre-Juvenile, then you learn the double 3-turns for Juvenile, so that seems to be the usual progression. Maybe you could ask your coach to teach you the back 3's by themselves first.

Kat12
08-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Kim, take care of that ankle! I sprained my ankle once about 10-15 years ago playing football with my neighbors, and I don't think I rested it enough because for years if I walked long-ish distances, it would get sore and I'd have to wear an ankle brace. Finally it stopped doing that but it was no fun. So make sure you let yours heal properly!

Debbie S
08-03-2009, 08:54 PM
I wonder why my coach doesn't teach me backwards three turn before doing a double turn. Or is it supposed to be this sequence? -shrug- Anyway I kept falling and my coach eventually decided not to teach me a double three turn.It sounds like what your coach is teaching you are twizzles - quick full-rev turns, almost a spin. They are not really double 3's. I agree with doubletoe - your coach should teach you back 3's first, b/c then you'll be more comfortable with the back-to-forward motion.

Kim to the Max
08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Kat12, I am resting it a lot. I am not pushing it hard or doing anything that causes pain. When I have been skating, it has been 45 minutes and really only basic skating and moves (lots of rockers and choctaws!). It was a relatively minor sprain with no swelling, minimal bruising, etc. I also have 2 weeks coming up where I will be off of the ice for work, so I'm definitely going to take it easy through that (although, sitting for 10 hours a day and eating in a dining hall is going to be great for my waistline....).

However, I also know that NOT moving and not doing anything is bad as well because it will get too stiff and the scar tissue will form too tightly, which can also cause issues. Now that there is no pain, I'm trying to slowly build up strength again to prevent further injury. I'm impatient, but I also know that these things take time....doesn't make it any easier though!!

I'm actually lucky that the sprain was not worse...with the way I fell, things could have been REALLY bad....I consider myself lucky that my muscles were strong enough to help prevent a worse injury (I was doing a LFO rocker, caught an edge, and twisted my right ankle, fell and cut the back of my left thigh with my blade....we thought I was going to have to have stitches, but I was able to completely stop the bleeding within minutes). The goal right now is to build up strength again in that ankle. My trying a few waltz jumps and back spins was to help me assess the weakness in that ankle...

I'm taking it easy and taking care of myself....like I said, I'm just trying to do some exercises to rebuild strength because that won't happen on it's own...

luckykid
08-04-2009, 02:55 AM
It sounds like what your coach is teaching you are twizzles - quick full-rev turns, almost a spin. They are not really double 3's. I agree with doubletoe - your coach should teach you back 3's first, b/c then you'll be more comfortable with the back-to-forward motion.
I did some googling, and yeah I think it's a twizzle.
I'm not familiar with juvenile and pre juvenile and all that, but I'm not even ISI Freestyle 1 yet. I don't know why I'm doing twizzles at this level.